Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

shortening barrel on cz452

Options
  • 12-05-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a cz 452 22 lr and recently fitted the yo dave trigger kit and floated the barrel which has transformed the gun for me. I am now toying with the idea of getting the barrel shortened and re threaded to get rid of the foresight (50 mm approx).
    My question is ,will this have an effect on accuracy as I mostly use subs,?and if it doesn't effect it how much could I take off before I lose accuracy?. I would like to take the length of the mod off if possible. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I assume you're starting with the original barrel so length is what, 24 inch or is it the 22" model? The minimum legal barrel length is just a bit under 20" but we'll call it 20 to save time. That means you can legally drop to this without any issues, legally.

Most gunsmiths will cut from the muzzle. Some will say it should be done form the chamber as the muzzle of a CZ can be choked, but that is a debate for another day. This will not, if done right, cause any loss of accuracy. There is a debate that is constantly ongoing about the minimum length a .22lr barrel can be before a loss of accuracy or performance. The answer ranges from 9 inches to 12 inches. However as said above as the legal limit is 20" it kinda makes that point moot. Those that get it done shorter are usually in countries where barrel length is not an issue.

So in short:
    • 20 inches is the legal minimum
    • No loss of accuracy/performance if done right (by a competent smith)
    • At 20" you can use both subs and supersonic stuff without any issues
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

brieny1000 wrote: »
    I am now toying with the idea of getting the barrel shortened and re threaded to get rid of the foresight (50 mm approx).

So the sole purpose is to remove the iron sights? Any reason why?

Which is more expensive, a second barrel or the work you are looking to have completed?
    My question is ,will this have an effect on accuracy as I mostly use subs,?

I would say that cutting the barrel will not improve accuracy or precision.
    However, both are relative to the shooter.

I doubt an inch or two would provide a measurable difference in most real world situations for most shooters. Unless, you do precision work, benchrest, or the like?
    My question is ,will this have an effect on accuracy as I mostly use subs,?and if it doesn't effect it how much could I take off before I lose accuracy?. Thank you.

Don't forget that when you shorten the barrel, you decrease the amount of time the gasses are able to act on and accelerate the bullet. That is, you decrease the muzzle velocity, which would be my biggest concern.

A sub is already slow and you're going to slow it down more. Slow speed = more drop.

CZ barrels cannot be that hard to come by, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Don't forget that when you shorten the barrel, you decrease the amount of time the gasses are able to act on and accelerate the bullet. That is, you decrease the muzzle velocity, which would be my biggest concern.

FISMA don't be concerned, the gasses that propel the bullet are burned out at 12.5 inches so after 12.5 inches the speed /velocity of the bullet is what is pushing it through the barrel, so with a longer barrel the bullet has to force its way along the barrel for a longer distance on the other hand in a shorter barrel it leaves the barrel earlier, there is no significant loss of velocity from a shorter barrel,
    Accuracy is a different story if the barrel is chocked or the bore tapered towards the muzzle there may be a loss of accuracy and then again there may not be if you chop the front off. But usually you wont find a loss some even improve.
    The length of the barrel isn't the major factor in accuracy, the quality of the chamber, barrel and crown would be where I'd be looking if I wanted accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

You might also consider looking at a factory rifle with a short barrel and trading in against such - Anschutz do a version of the Match 64 heavy barrelled action in 14" called the 1417. It ain't cheap but with a 6" can she's still only 20" and as it's a factory setup it's all above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brieny1000

Thanks for the reply.
    it has a 24" barrel standard, 28" with mod on. main reason for shortening is to make the gun a little tidier and have one less thing to be getting caught on snags (foresight).
    I'm not interested in going through the hassle of changing barrel or gun. I have this gun 8 or 9 years and never had much interest in it other than it doing its intended job,( shooting rabbits for farmers in ourpreserves) but since sorting the trigger I'm really enjoying it so am looking at ideas to improve it. Restock it maybe down the line.
    Thank you again for your replies.all ideas suggestions appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

it has a 24" barrel standard, 28" with mod on..

Whack it down to 20" so it's 24" with mod on.

For MOB (minute of bunny) any loss of accuracy (which i'd be surprised if there is any) would be nominal. It's been a while since i've checked prices but last time i checked a cut and rethread runs between €60 - €100 depending on who does it for you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I also think you should cut it back to 20 inches. Both of my rimfires have 20 inch barrels and are very accurate. They are still quite short and handy with a mod on.
    I have also heard that you shouldn't cut cz barrels because they are choked but I know of one gunsmith in the uk who says he has cut hundreds of them without any loss of accuracy. He said accuracy actually improved with a lot of them.

Advertisement