Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How old is your gun? Show us yours

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Latest addition to the stable - the one with the lighter coloured stock.

1967 (or so) Anschutz 1423. The SEM (German/Suhler claw mount) is soldered on over the date stamp so thats based off the bolt revision.

Imported from Germany, the gun has clearly had a working life in the early days at least, so I had Des Mulvahill send the stock off for a bit of TLC when it landed in - very decent job done.

The Hensoldt-Wetzlar Diavari 1.5-6x36 scope has FFP German No.1 reticle, and insanely clear glass. It would have been bought at the same time as, and cost about as much as, the rifle itself. Would have been gunsmith mounted at that point and never touched since - and it is absolutely dead on at 50m with Eley Edge.

DST is about 3.5-4lbs unset, couple of ounces when set.

Have only taken her out to 50meters so far, but she's an absolute tac driver at that range anyway. Would like to get the bore scoped as there are some blemishes visible in there and I be keen to find out if they're manufacturing defects or something I should be concerned about. Can't notice any negative impact from their presence myself in any case, but would like to know.

Needs a new bolt guide as it's not spitting out the empties. I expect somebody forced the bolt in uncocked at some point and that did the damage. Otherwise, a little light striking on RWS ammo, but grand on Eley Edge, so may benefit from a new firing spring - appears to prefer Edge in any case but the light striking may not be permitting RWS to show what it can do.

Currently hoping to put it to use for rimfire silhouette, although may need to switch the scope for that role - the No.1 reticle, whilst very easy to see, isn't the best choice for a subsonic round. Thinking about a Bushnell LRHS, but will need to test fitment with modern SEM compatible rings, most likely will get one regardless as I want to replace the 6-24 Varmint on the 1417 which is just too tight at the back end for short range field work in any case.

4fFHd4E_MZNGUO5ceKm9VTsAWsaOPkImMybV4vfdKayRRi-ton_j16FJaxTK8ysMWh4WCmbwIFkBLTgg_U2PKdU3ZFTA4PBO0QPdadjYnOegguiJMoFDZlBhcQnfj0-v-bepQq_bDvhCVv-S_jNC7xgNJ1ak4NCX4MiIi5dVHGpy93en2i2oA5uT5xECB3oYNqvqAjQ-t7R0F46S0U4jDn82Ly8fxa-8dNBlnHrzW5-C0Tk1Quko8kWcV9KS8xPdj-SgGLlyMhI76-Vi3_feAoN956Tt_NCzbC8X2KmON61iYGIoINFGwmYS-Z0BPgeN3H9a-GVjx6Od6SH_zLlDQ3yZmTuMY4agVBGDhSAMZ9AMQTG-XBaw-fadwdVKfNB2ALl9cz-we1yeh5Rm7KG0u6x80Xvrt8yjIDO99e0ta5uH32sf_bOO8xjsKa8aL7ir9geF7TAZ6uFOqVpxgra6SETwOIxJe3JGVLQsSPVAHYoYhyeqwNp43QFwYdRSk6vV9GEHmL4iD685NwHR4MMw_JnKVC2CVgTm8JXyaTMfhAI-NyfkWBxaQ5cwjBTiZHxc_fZ7Qkwr-lhetcOBYte8yvKbTuGPOnegZ0dYeSlLeXVmXJGYKNzzP94SZUMqHc8z_yduqNxvMr4n40jqed0UfsZSjmnVwvdWqTJHlEoHeQ=w1000-h667-no

NtiL-ntbwx5DDMSf23iB-baB8kr9T1MdJQpKk_-Kq7RqsR4eN0mKf_DL70ac9ndYfGWl-2XF92agC-C68gySlIwTMEwSOpgY5Yqj9rl94J4VasZTt4Ke6FhMbC_LlTLgf5dTHC6yeeXmcnQOEJ2DKJUr1tHyG7N8BQNfKSZv5c4Gv1MqM6WuhvkGINfmMhizq_vzv64lBSEPbpJfA32LtjudM-7h7hYWpx-joP6--iAkhlyJG85wM4fiRfAO068I22p53ll9FBPRMybQr1-t9mCZtyB-kzAvoA6pIDIM4hG3ciBfl8S0OraHskDCeaqEGicN_FOfLFzB_xQkBEVdpU4XwB5eUoxkI3ytW43atGTS3DW_a86uyXIIiiFzf-iVbWB2Pk8lywnp4guPAPsm8MRObPG1_7vyf62hbjvgQnJXkf9a5Okuo2TwiXPiz99DiBHmm8Iak33k8gwiykUMTpDoIaR8dQs21pwMXyEfqIqQegm3coTeP3fMEE5E5LUjw2EvQr5bLmEVxKhsSOJpUNMPHJKXUZE7VyLwA4fkEIYBpZO7kwRPdB898VUqDIyNFje4mzRHw1JRAqFd4KLO96qQ4gjuZh6VsU_evn6RNh7jJfKNtHtKHg7h6qXUybIu-BXjoy3-hkpv-yHmeIPo8y7TU-s7GBh7IUQW379a6Q=w1000-h667-no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

The date of proof is the date of manufacture, within a week or so. That should be on the LHS of the barrel immediately in front of the breech ring in the form of a little half antler and two numbers.

Anschutz do not usually manufacture barrels with defects in them. My Model 1409, dated 1967, has had about half a gazillion rounds down it so far, and the barrel is totally like new from chamber to muzzle.

Any damage to the bore has been put there by less than careful owner.

tac

My oldest gun is a Boer War capture 7mm Mauser carbine, made by Ludwig Loewe of Berlin in July of 1897. The next is a m/96 Carl Gustaf, dated 1898....

And so on..............

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

My old Trulock Bros side by side was made about 1900-1905, i have had other guns that were very old too such as the swedish mauser i had. Goes to show if something is made to last and looked after, it can give generations good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

anyone know how to age an old voere .22? possibly 70s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

extremetaz wrote: »
    I expect somebody forced the bolt in uncocked at some point and that did the damage.

Extremetaz, can you (or someone else) elaborate a little on this, I actually didn't know it was possible to force in an uncocked bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

tac foley wrote: »
    The date of proof is the date of manufacture, within a week or so. That should be on the LHS of the barrel immediately in front of the breech ring in the form of a little half antler and two numbers.

Yup, I know, and the forward SEM mount, the pivot, is soldered on over the top of it so it can't be viewed.
    Anschutz do not usually manufacture barrels with defects in them. My Model 1409, dated 1967, has had about half a gazillion rounds down it so far, and the barrel is totally like new from chamber to muzzle.

Any damage to the bore has been put there by less than careful owner.

Yeah, I'm aware of that too - more hoping against hope on the front really. Need to scope it to see what the nature of the damage is to see if it warrants attention. Certainly doesn't seem to be affecting the accuracy.
    Extremetaz, can you (or someone else) elaborate a little on this, I actually didn't know it was possible to force in an uncocked bolt.

I haven't ever tried it personally (and I don't bloody intend to either) but I know that it's possible with the 64 bolt, cocked or not - it's actually something you have to actively make sure to avoid as the front half of the bolt is free to rotate. The result is that the forend of the bolt can be inserted, with surprisingly little conviction, off angle to the rails.

Now the 54 bolt body angle *is* fixed to the cocked state of the bolt but my suspicion is that somebody did, at some point, and doubtless with a little more conviction, attempt to insert the bolt uncocked and got in far enough to shave the top off the ejector stub on the bolt guide.

It's only a suspicion but I can't think of any other way to do that sort of damage unless you're using a rat tail file as a cleaning rod.

ganmo wrote: »
    anyone know how to age an old voere .22? possibly 70s

On German and Austrian-made rifles there are a pair of stamps on the LHS of the barrel and breech, with either an easily identifiable set of numbers, like 63, or sometimes, as with Anschuetz, a cryptic. Also you'll see a miniature version of the arms of the proof house - Ulm, for instance, has a half antler.

Berlin has a standing bear, Hannover has a rampant horse, Munich has a shield cross-hatched and so on...

Your Voere was made right in the actual old fortress of Kufstein in Austria, and should have either Wien/Vienna or Ferlach proofs. Nitroproof for Vienna has an intertwined NP and v, and Ferlach NP and f. The provisional proof marks are E superimposed over V or E over F, an interesting mélange of German and French [épreuve is French for gun proof].

Voere and Steyr both used obvious numbers or codes.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

It was highly pixellated for me, but what I can see shows a lovely rifle.

tac

Took the photo on a cheap tablet , I'll try to post some better one .
    Yes it's a beauty ,no Knicks dings or scratches anywhere .Wood is real nice . I'm almost certain it's unfired .

Advertisement