Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How old are your cartridges? Show us yours

Options
  • 27-04-2015 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

As a follow up to the "How old is your gun" thread, I thought I'd start an old ammunition thread

1. Old Eley Grand Prix in 30g 6
    2. Gunmark Gameshot 32g 4
    3. Old Eley Maximum in 5 shot (no load printed on cartridge.
    4. Winchester Western 32g 7 shot, once the best shotgun cartridge available in Ireland I hear.
    5. Baikal Record in 6 shot made in the USSR (again no load printed)

For those on the Boards app, the photos seem to only show up on Safari

AFAIK these have been in the cabinet since the 80s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

DSC_0199_zpsve8belky.jpg
    DSC_0198_zpskhxyhpqd.jpg.html?o=1
    DSC_0197_zpssziqk7mp.jpg
    DSC_0200_zpsqt7gl8e9.jpg

few eley have hear didnt even no we ever made ammo till i found these

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

those baikals used to come into the country in black bags of 1000 in a carboard box..

They were heavily over/under loaded.. some kicked likc 12gr some like 63gr candles..

they were dirty as feck and used to leave a black cloud out of the gun.. loud.. 3 foot of flame and fast as ****

can't be had anymore.. were meant to be the kitty.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

remember the winchesters... without doubt the best cartridge i have ever fired and will ever fire... the killing power was unreal in them, you knew when a bird dropped it wasnt going anywhere because it was hit that hard... there was also a winchester super speed cartridge that came in boxes of ten... if anyone has any lying about or spare id love a few to have as keep sakes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

^^^ why have they changed since though??
    I still have the cartridge and tail feathers off my first pheasant when I was 11. Must dig it out and see what make the cartridge was. That was 15 year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

I still have the cartridge and tail feathers off my first pheasant when I was 11. Must dig it out and see what make the cartridge was. That was 15 year ago

there not sold anymore.. or if they are ive never seen them here in over ten years pity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

daithi55 wrote: »
    remember the winchesters... without doubt the best cartridge i have ever fired and will ever fire... the killing power was unreal in them, you knew when a bird dropped it wasnt going anywhere because it was hit that hard... there was also a winchester super speed cartridge that came in boxes of ten... if anyone has any lying about or spare id love a few to have as keep sakes

I remember the 10 box of Winchester Super Speed ......as you said they were a brilliant, hard - hitting cartridge. They were also expensive.

All cartridges were very expensive back then, the Winchester's were dearer, that's why they sold boxes of ten. They were handy though when you didn't have enough to buy a 25 box.

When I was a teenager in Kerry in the late 70's we earned £60 a week at a summer job, driving a truck. Each Friday we used to buy 100 cartridges and a large pouch of "Old Holburn" tobacco when we got paid.....set up for the following week!

Only cartridges available were Eley Grand Prix, Eley Maximum & Winchester. The Eley Grand Prix were the one's we usually bought in 6's and 4's....they were £3.00 a box....we spend £12 a week,every week, buying 100 for crows, magpies & rabbits. In the winter they were also used for pheasant, woodcock and duck.

We used to buy a box or two of Eley Maximum 4's for the Sunday fox hunt...but these were sparingly used and cared for...too expensive to waste........2 boxes would easily last the season.

There were a lot of lads at the time, mainly older folk, that would only fire a cartridge if the could eat what was hit, as cartridges were dear. They thought we were crazy "wasting" them on crows & magpies. We didn't mind.....we just enjoyed the "buzz" of being out hunting..didn't really matter what we were hunting.

£12 a week was 20% of our wages .....shows you how expensive they were at the time. You could get 30 pints at the time for £12. A box of cartridges cost more that 7 pints!!!!.....puts it in perspective!!!!

The price has come down a lot...you can now buy cheap clay shells for about €4.50 a box....about the same price as £3.00 a box, before the €uro, 40 years later!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

^^^^ enjoyed reading that J.R
    Seems cartridges have come along way.
    11 quid for 25 now. Still seems bit steep

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hathcock

The Wiltons were sold by Wilton arms and ammunition Co. ltd,
    knocklyon road Dublin 14.I have several boxes of each,and NO you can't have em.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Nice one Hathcock.
    I can remember the Winchester western, just about. The box was serrated around the middle so you could snap the box in half and you could get at the cartridges. 5 on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

BrownTrout wrote: »
    As a follow up to the "How old is your gun" thread, I thought I'd start an old ammunition thread

1. Old Eley Grand Prix in 30g 6
    2. Gunmark Gameshot 32g 4
    3. Old Eley Maximum in 5 shot (no load printed on cartridge.
    4. Winchester Western 32g 7 shot, once the best shotgun cartridge available in Ireland I hear.
    5. Baikal Record in 6 shot made in the USSR (again no load printed)

For those on the Boards app, the photos seem to only show up on Safari

AFAIK these have been in the cabinet since the 80s

What about these
    Remington Best 12g 3 1/4 EQUIV 1&1/8-00 BUCK (Brass)
    16g Eley of London Pin Catridge unused

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Lawyers.

Advertisement