Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parliamentary Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Friday, 8 May 2015
    Proceeds of Crime (Amendment) Bill 2014): Second Stage [Private Members]
    That brings me to the issue, related to discussion of the Bill, of guns in society. We need to examine this and to be vigilant. The Bill is important in that it targets those senior criminals who are making the money, but then it is important that the money is distributed to the people who have suffered as a consequence of these bully-boy antics. Many communities have been intimidated. Recently, I attended a number of meetings in my constituency about the fact that whole streets were being intimidated by a certain gang. One gang leader, together with around 20 or 30 young men, was spreading fear up and down those streets and the families were so intimidated they would not even dream of going near the Garda. They were telephoning local TDs such as myself and asking them to intervene and talk to the senior gardaí. We need to focus on that, because there is a significant element of society that is being marginalised and left out there on its own. When making these points, it is important that we say to those in middle Ireland who think drug-taking is acceptable in some way that they must accept responsibility as well, because the drug dealers will follow the market. If there is a market in the affluent Ireland for cocaine, the drug dealers will move into it and make money on the back of it. That needs to be said.

At present, the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality, of which I am a member, is doing a lot of valuable work, under Deputy David Stanton, on gangland crime in the community. We have held a lot of hearings. We have heard presentations from all the different voluntary groups, drugs groups, parents' groups and victims of crime, and we will be producing a comprehensive report. I hope the Minister will support the recommendations when that report is issued in either the summer or the autumn.

When talking about crime and the proceeds of crime, as I mentioned earlier, we also need to think about the issue of firearms. There is significant a public safety concern among broader society about the availability of firearms, both legal and illegal. According to recent research done by the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality, there are around 150,000 unregistered firearms. I am not talking about the responsible gun owners and the sensible people. I am talking about unregistered firearms. It is important to mention the threat to broader society. Between 2005 and 2008, 31 handguns were stolen and 1,236 other civilian firearms were stolen. Of the 1,236 firearms, only 373 were recovered. We need to be focused, and responsible gun owners need to be vigilant.
    They need to be careful. We need strong regulation and commonsense when dealing with this issue because we have enough guns in the broader society, a fact which must be recognised.

Tuesday, 12 May 2015
    Regina Doherty (Meath East, Fine Gael)
    647. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht the position regarding an alleged breach of the Wildlife Acts in February 2014 (details supplied) in Donabate in County Dublin; and if she will instruct the National Parks and Wildlife Service to report on the status of the complaint made. [18699/15]
    648. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht the position regarding the transformer which was damaged, allegedly by a person (details supplied) in Donabate in County Dublin, in February 2015; and if she will instruct the Electricity Supply Board to report on the repair works required, including costs. [18700/15]

Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht (Heather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael))

I propose to take Questions Nos. 647 and 648 together.

All birds, including the species referred to by the Deputy, are protected under the Wildlife Acts and the EU Birds Directive. However, the hunting of certain game birds, such as the species in question, is allowed at certain times of the year under the Open Seasons Order for Wild Birds. In addition, the shooting of that species is allowed under an annual Declaration made under the European Communities (Wildlife Act, 1976) (Amendment) Regulations 1986 (SI No 254 of 1986), which permits the capture or killing of certain birds to prevent serious damage to arable crops or to public health.

My Department is aware of allegations of illegal hunting last year in the area referred to by the Deputy. I understand that Final County Council, An Garda Síochána and the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my Department have had discussions to consider this matter.

I have no information regarding alleged damage to a transformer.

Thursday, 14 May 2015
    Michael McCarthy (Cork South West, Labour)
    129. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the position regarding the review of firearms legislation; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [19058/15]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

In light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána, a joint Department of Justice and Equality/ An Garda Síochána Working Group was established by the Department of Justice and Equality to review firearms licensing. The report of this Working Group was published on 13 November 2014 and submissions on the report were sought from stakeholders and the public by 31 January 2015. The consultation process gave individuals and groups an opportunity to contribute to the development of firearms policy and legislation and will enable consideration to be given to the future direction of such legislation.

The Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality also sought submissions and held hearings with interested parties in relation to the Working Party report and published an interim report on the matter.

As part of the process of consultation I gave a commitment that I would not make any decisions until I had met the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. I had a useful meeting with the key stakeholders on 29 April 2015 and consideration of the issues involved is continuing.

Tuesday, 19 May 2015
    Dan Neville (Limerick, Fine Gael)
    259. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the requirements that have to be met to possess a licence to hold a gun; when a person is refused the issuing of a gun licence, the conditions that have to be met the application is to be reconsidered.; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [19748/15]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I can inform the Deputy that Section 3 of the Firearms Act 1925 as amended, provides that an application for a firearm certificate shall be made to the Superintendent of An Garda Síochána of the District in which the applicant resides. An application for a restricted firearm certificate is made to the Commissioner who has delegated this responsibility to members of An Garda Síochána holding the rank of Chief Superintendent. Section 4 of the 1925 Act, as amended, provides the conditions to be satisfied prior to an issuing person granting a firearm certificate. The conditions include having a good reason for requiring the certificate, granting the certificate will not endanger public safety, security or the peace, the person is not disentitled to hold a firearm certificate and that secure accommodation for the firearm has been provided. Further information may also be sought from the applicant by an issuing person including proof of identity, proof of competence in the use of the firearm concerned, a requirement to provide details of his/her medical history and providing two referees to attest to the applicant's character.

If an applicant is refused a certificate by an issuing person, the applicant must be provided with reasons for such refusal in writing. The applicant can then appeal the refusal, under Section 15A of the Firearms Act 1925 as amended, to the District Court within 30 days of receiving the refusal letter.
    The District Court can confirm the decision of the deciding officer, or direct that person to reconsider the decision, or allow the appeal where the issuing person shall give effect to the Court's decision.

If a person reapplies for a firearm certificate, the application shall be considered by an issuing person under the legislation as outlined above. Each application is always considered on its own individual merits in accordance with law.

Wednesday, 10 June 2015
    Brendan Griffin (Kerry South, Fine Gael)
    104. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her plans regarding the review of firearms; the timeframe she expects in relation to recommendations; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [22574/15]

In light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána, a joint Department of Justice and Equality/An Garda Síochána Working Group was established by the Department of Justice and Equality to review firearms licensing. The report of this Working Group was published on 13 November 2014 and submissions on the report were sought from stakeholders and the public by 31 January 2015. The consultation process gave individuals and groups an opportunity to contribute to the development of firearms policy and legislation and will enable consideration to be given to the future direction of such legislation.

The Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality also sought submissions and held hearings with interested parties in relation to the Working Party report and published an interim report on the matter.
    As part of the process of consultation I gave a commitment that I would not make any decisions until I had met the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. I had a useful meeting with the key stakeholders on 29 April 2015 and consideration of the issues involved, including the concerns of those who use firearms for sporting purposes, is continuing.

I expect this process to be concluded in the near future.

• Advertisement

Thursday, 18 June 2015
    Niall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail)
    172. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of new applications for handguns, by reference to calibre, make, and model, for target shooting that have been received by An Garda Síochána since she published the joint report of An Garda Síochána and her Department, regarding the review of firearms licensing to date; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [24321/15]

173. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of applications for handguns for target shooting that have been granted and entered on the PULSE system; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [24322/15]

I propose to take Questions Nos. 172 and 173 together.

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report in relation to these matters and will write to the Deputy as soon as I have further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Sparks wrote: »
    Thursday, 18 June 2015

That'll make interesting reading.

Tuesday, 7 July 2015
    Pat Deering (Carlow-Kilkenny, Fine Gael)
    224. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will provide an update on the firearms licensing review process; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [27003/15]

As part of the consultation process for the on-going review of firearms licensing I have given a commitment that I would not make any decisions until I had met the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. I had a useful meeting with the key stakeholders on 29 April 2015. Consideration of the issues involved, including the Sports Coalition proposals, is continuing. I intend to conclude consideration of the issues in the near future.

Thursday, 9 July 2015
    Brendan Smith (Cavan-Monaghan, Fianna Fail)
    154. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the position regarding the review of firearms licensing legislation; if the concerns of the National Association of Regional Game Councils and the Sports Coalition have been given detailed consideration; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [28065/15]

As part of the consultation process for the on-going review of firearms licensing I have given a commitment that I would not make any decisions until I had met the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. I had a useful meeting with the key stakeholders on 29 April 2015. Consideration of the issues involved, including the Sports Coalition (of which the National Association of Regional Games Councils is a member) proposals, is continuing. I intend to conclude consideration of the issues in the near future.

Tuesday, 14 July 2015
    906. To ask the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the total amount of firearms licence fees collected by An Post on behalf of the Department of Justice and Equality in each of the years 2012 to 2014; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [28982/15]

Alex White (Dublin South, Labour)
    The collection of firearms licence fees by An Post on behalf of the Department of Justice, Equality and Defence is a day to day commercial matter for An Post and not one in which I have a function. The question is more appropriate to the Department of Justice, Equality and Defence which has responsibility for firearms licences.
    475. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the amount of revenue collected in respect of firearms licence fees in each of the years 2012 to 2014; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [28981/15]

I am informed by An Garda Síochána that the total revenue collected by them in respect of firearm licence fees in 2012, 2013 and 2014 is as follows: 2012, €1.926m; 2013, €10.755m; and 2014, €3.697m.
    These figures include revenue for fees for firearms certificates issued to non- residents in accordance with the Firearms (Firearms Certificates for Non-Residents) Act 2000. It should be noted that as the certificate renewals cover a 3 year period, the level of receipts will therefore diminish over the course of the 3 year renewal cycle.
    Seán Ó Fearghaíl (Kildare South, Fianna Fail)
    961. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht her plans to ban the sale of migratory birds, as she has been urged to do by the National Association of Regional Game Councils with the support of the Woodcock Association of Ireland, Birdwatch Ireland and the Association of Game Shoot Operators, given that all of these associations have identified a major problem in the exploitation of migratory birds through unregulated tourist hunting, most of which is alleged to be taking place in the black economy; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [29174/15]

962. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht her views on whether the banning of the sale of migratory species will significantly remove the motivation and/or incentive for their commercial exploitation; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [29175/15]

963. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht whether she believes there is already significant precedent for banning the sale of migratory species, such as Statutory Instrument No. 228 of 1992 banning the sale of the curlew, and Statutory Instrument No. 241 of 1982 banning the sale of goldeneye ducks; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [29176/15]

Heather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael)

I propose to take Questions Nos. 961 to 963, inclusive, together.

My Department is aware of concerns expressed by a number of organisations relating to the apparent increase in the hunting of certain migratory birds, including woodcock. I intend to hold a short consultation with relevant stakeholders on options to address concerns about woodcock to ensure their views are known to my Department on this matter. There is already legislation in place banning the sale of certain wild birds such as curlew, goldeneye and gadwall.

My officials will examine the options arising out of this consultation with a view to affording increased protection as appropriate to woodcock populations. I am conscious that the next hunting season for woodcock starts on 1 November. I would aim to have any necessary change in place by that time.

• Advertisement

Thursday, 16 July 2015
    Terence Flanagan (Dublin North East, Independent)
    391. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on correspondence (details supplied) regarding firearms legislation; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [30167/15]

The Deputy has raised a number of questions in relation to the accuracy of statistics on stolen firearms provided from the PULSE system and the impact of this in relation to decision making. The Deputy will be aware that following a detailed analysis of PULSE data in relation to the recording, classification and reclassification of crime, the CSO has recently resumed publication of the quarterly crime figures, along with an analysis of how the issues identified in the Garda Inspectorate Report on Crime Investigations impact on the production of these statistics. The analysis carried out by both the CSO and the Garda Inspectorate has identified common issues of concern in relation to Garda crime recording processes and systems. A significant number of these relate to ICT issues and some of them are specifically in relation to PULSE.

The Garda Commissioner has taken a number of steps to respond to the concerns identified in the Inspectorate report, including the establishment of a new Data Quality Team in the Garda Information Services Centre (GISC), as well as measures to strengthen PULSE governance arrangements. These measures form part of broader steps to take forward the Inspectorate’s recommendations, including plans to upgrade and improve the technology for recording of crime and policing activity.

The compilation and publication of crime statistics is a matter in the first instance for the Central Statistics Office, as the national statistical agency. The CSO is currently carrying out a detailed analysis of certain issues raised by the Inspectorate in relation to the recording, classification and reclassification of crime, to see whether and to what extent they may have implications for the crime statistics which that Office produces. I understand that substantial work has been carried out on this project since the report's publication, and that this work is ongoing. In addition, the CSO has also agreed to chair an expert panel to examine the Inspectorate's recommendations on crime statistics. The expert panel will review the crime counting and detection rules, as recommended by the Inspectorate, with a view to introducing new national standards

On the question of compensation and the possession of a firearm being a privilege, I wish to refer the Deputy to Section 13 of the Working Group report on the Review of Firearms Licensing which was published in November 2014.

To quote from section 13:
    "In Magee V Murray (2008, Judge Birmingham) it is stated in summary: “The possession of every firearm is illegal unless authorised by law. The possession of a firearm is not a right, but it is a privilege...”.

A similar view was expressed in McCarron V Kearney by Charleton J. (High Court, 4 July 2008)."

Section 13 also notes that the Courts have taken the view that what is in the State’s gift cannot be required to be compensated if it is withdrawn. For example, in Gorman v Minister for the Environment (2001, Judge Carney) it was held that the absence of compensation for permitting the issuance of taxi licences to anyone qualified was constitutional.

Finally, insofar as consultation with the Attorney General in relation to legislative changes is concerned, I can confirm to the Deputy that any legislative changes are subject to consultation with the Attorney General.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Minister seems to once again be confusing possession with ownership.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

You'd think at this stage it'd have been explained to her

I think they're trying to say that if they ban licencing of classes of firearms, they don't have to compensate anyone, the way that nobody was compensated for '72. You'd still own the firearm, you just couldn't possess it.

Whether or not that would survive ten minutes in a courtroom hearing the first in a series of several hundred cases all arguing that the loss in value caused by deflating the market value of those firearms, plus the lost sunk cost into legally mandatory things like upgraded house security, gunsafes, permanent modifications to cars and so forth, is another matter.

Either way, the state would still be facing long, expensive court rows and negative publicity in the run-up to both a General Election and a celebration of the 1916 rising. Somehow I don't think they want to go down that road unless some rather stupid people on our side give them a good hard shove in that direction.

Tuesday, 3 November 2015
    Gabrielle McFadden (Longford-Westmeath, Fine Gael)
    529. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the average time it takes for the firearms section of her Department to process applications for import and export licences for non-military firearms; if she is satisfied that there is sufficient staff to process such applications; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [37333/15]

530. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on the concerns of a company (details supplied) regarding delays in the processing of applications for licences to import and export non-military firearms for its hunting and fishing business; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [37334/15]

I propose to take Questions Nos. 529 and 530 together.

I can inform the Deputy that there are no delays in processing application forms for import and export licenses for firearms and/or ammunition within my Department. The time taken to process an application to finality can be prolonged by the lodging of incorrect information by the applicant. When incorrect information is provided by an applicant, the matter is dealt with expeditiously by the staff in my Department in accordance with the Department's customer service policy and the applicant is contacted and advised to re-submit correct information.

As a general rule, applications are processed within 10 working days and in many instances in a lesser period. The recent postal strike may have led to delivery of licences later than usual.

Bobby Aylward (Carlow-Kilkenny, Fianna Fail)

566. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will consider appointing appropriate representatives from national shooting sports organisations such as the National Sports Coalition to the new firearms and appeals authority, which is due to be established, to ensure a reasonable and rational approach to shooting sports activities; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [37742/15]

I recently announced fundamental long term reforms of firearms licensing including the establishment of a new Firearms Assessment and Appeals Authority. The primary function of the Authority will be to determine, on the basis of an objective assessment of all the issues, with safety of the public being paramount, whether particular forms of firearms may be licensed in the State, whether there should be any limit on the number of such firearms and what safety conditions might properly be applied to their licensing. The functions of the Authority will be subject to further consultation with key stakeholders in advance of the preparation of the necessary enabling legislation, which will be subject to pre-legislative scrutiny by the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Equality and Defence. I have also sought submissions on the proposed Authority from the Firearms Consultative Panel, which is made up of key stakeholders, including the Sports Coalition. Accordingly, it is premature at this stage to decide on the make up of the Authority before the consultation process.

Tuesday, 10 November 2015
    Brendan Smith (Cavan-Monaghan, Fianna Fail)
    337. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the status of the review of firearms licensing legislation: if the concerns of the National Association of Regional Game Councils and the Sports Coalition have been given detailed consideration; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [39613/15]

I can advise the Deputy that I recently announced a series of changes to the licensing of firearms. My announcement followed an extensive consultation process with key stakeholders and hearings by the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Equality and Defence on a report from a Joint Garda Síochána/Department of Justice and Equality Working Group published in November 2014. The changes announced will address issues in the short term but also map out the longer term future for a licensing system which balances the rights of those who wish to pursue their interests with public safety, which has to be the paramount consideration. I understand the Sports Coalition (of which the National Association of Regional Games Council is a member) has welcomed and fully endorsed my announcement.
    My intention is to make fundamental long term reforms in this area by proposing legislation for a Firearms Assessment and Appeals Authority. The primary function of the Authority will be to determine, on the basis of an objective assessment of all the issues, with safety of the public being paramount, whether particular forms of firearms may be licensed in the State, whether there should be any limit on the number of such firearms and what safety conditions might properly be applied to their licensing. The functions of the Authority will be subject to further consultation with key stakeholders in advance of the preparation of the necessary enabling legislation, which will be subject to pre-legislative scrutiny by the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Equality and Defence.

As part of the review process, I announced my intention to re-establish the Firearms Consultative Panel. The re-established panel had their first meeting on 29 October 2015. It is made up of key stakeholders, including the Sports Coalition. This panel provides a valuable forum for contact and discussion between my Department and representatives of shooting organisations, An Garda Siochana and other interested parties. I have sought submissions from the Firearms Consultative Panel on a number of issues affecting licensed gun owners including the proposed Firearms Assessment and Appeals Authority. I look forward to building on the positive relationships developed between representative organisations and my Department during the review of firearms licensing and I look forward to continued open and positive dialogue with all representative organisations.

I have notified the Garda Inspectorate that I intend to ask them to review the administration of firearms licensing by An Garda Síochána when the Firearms Assessment and Appeals Authority is in place for a period of 12 months.
    I have introduced an immediate temporary cap on the licensing of any new centre-fire semi-automatic rifles pending the establishment and determination of the Authority. Legislation will provide for the revocation of any licenses issued before the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for licenses of this nature will be informed of that fact.
    I have signed secondary legislation re-defining what constitutes a non-restricted handgun. The purpose of this legislation is to ensure persons who currently hold licences for handguns will be able to reapply for a license in the current licensing round. This legislation clarifies for An Garda Síochána what firearms may be considered by them for licensing.

In line with my commitment to prevent any proliferation of handgun availability in Ireland, I am continuing to monitor the number of 0.22 inch rim fire calibre handguns being licensed. If there is a significant increase in the number of applications for new certificates or import licence applications for these handguns, I will introduce priority legislation for a future cap.
    Finally, the Garda Commissioner intends to establish a centralised licensing system for restricted firearms, pending the establishment and determination of the Firearms Assessment and Appeals Authority. The Garda Commissioner is preparing a detailed outline of the proposed work of the centralised licensing system for my consideration.

And an excerpt from a Joint Committee meeting with the Garda Commissioner on November 11:
    Alan Farrell (Dublin North, Fine Gael)
    This is my second time around. I have a question on drugs and firearms for the Commissioner. My question is specific to the proliferation of firearms and their availability. More specifically, this afternoon Mountjoy Prison is currently in lock-down as a result of the discovery of a quantity of weapons in a restricted area of the prison.

Finian McGrath (Dublin North Central, Independent)
    Did that happen today?

Today, as we speak. The committee has done a great deal of work on the issue and made proposals on the firearms licensing regime. The Chairman has spent a great deal of time working on the project along with Deputy McGrath. The proposed licensing authority is independent of An Garda Síochána. Will the authority be more of a consultative body rather than an administrative function for the force? Does the Commissioner believe that the new authority will speed up the licensing of firearms and ensure that we have quality control for licensed firearms that are licensed in this country? Will the initiative free up resources to allow An Garda Síochána tackle illegal firearms and weapons that are in the public domain?

Ms Nóirín O'Sullivan:
    An important distinction must be made. They are two separate things. In terms of firearms licensing, the centralised authority is a very welcome initiative in so far as it will provide consistency in decision-making around the application of the granting or otherwise of firearms licences. I would not like to give the committee the impression that we are suggesting, in any way, that licensed firearms are the same.

I hope I made that distinction.

Ms Nóirín O'Sullivan:
    Yes, I thank the Deputy. The proliferation of what I call illegal firearms tend to be around organised crime, criminality and dissident activities. That is important to mention. The new firearms licensing regime will certainly help greatly. It does not free up a lot of Garda resources because previously, and historically, the job was done by district officers. The district officer will still have an input into the assessment of individuals but added value comes from the centralised decision-making and the consistency of same.

Tuesday, 24 November 2015
    Seán Fleming (Laois-Offaly, Fianna Fail)
    310. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she has considered a firearms amnesty in relation to various persons who have unlicensed guns, to give them the opportunity to hand the guns over and thereby reduce the number of weapons in circulation, given crime levels; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [41190/15]

I can advise the Deputy that An Garda Síochána tackles the issue of illegal firearms on a daily basis at both local and national levels through a range of targeted and intelligence based operations, often disrupting and preventing incidents, as well as detecting and prosecuting those involved.

Heavy penalties are provided for weapons offences in our criminal law and mandatory minimum penalties have been introduced for certain firearms offences. The considerable powers already available to Gardaí are now supplemented further by the DNA Database system which went live last week and which has the capacity to link suspects to unsolved crimes using forensic evidence, and will greatly assist Gardaí in investigating a whole range of serious offences.

I am not convinced at this stage that some form of firearms amnesty would make a useful contribution to the reduction of gun crime. There was such an arrangement for a two month period in late 2006 but that was in the context of new licensing arrangements being introduced and represented an opportunity for people to regularise their situation before the heavier penalties provided for in the legislation came into force. It is doubtful that such an amnesty would result in hardened criminals handing up weapons. Equally, I am not convinced it is desirable to allow people who hold firearms illegally to evade the legal consequences for that. Nevertheless, I will keep this matter under review.

Thursday, 17 December 2015
    John Deasy (Waterford, Fine Gael)
    355. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality to set down the number of handgun licences legally permitted. [46164/15]

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report in relation to this matter and I will write to the Deputy when I have further information.

John Deasy (Waterford, Fine Gael)
    356. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality to set down the number of firearm licences revoked in the past five years, including a break-down of the different types of firearms revoked. [46165/15]

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report in relation to this matter and I will write to the Deputy when I have further information.

Well, there's a familiar name...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Election in the wind, TD starts making noise to get himself noticed.
    How predictable.
    Hopefully shooting sports people in his constituency start to lobby him in a sustained manner.

The last time this specific TD did that, it led to the 2009 Misc. Provisions version of the Act and the de facto banning of centerfire pistols and nearly the banning of all pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Deasy_(Fine_Gael_politician)

Amazing what and who you find on Wiki...:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Wednesday, 13 January 2016
    460. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the status of requirements for parental involvement in training 14 to 16 year olds in the use of firearms; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46474/15]

I can advise the Deputy that in accordance with Section 2A of the Firearms Act, 1925, as amended, a person over 14 years of age can apply for a firearms training certificate. Where the applicant is under 16 years of age, the application must be accompanied by the written consent of the applicant's parent of guardian. The training certificate authorises the person to possess a firearm only while carrying and using the firearm for hunting or target shooting and under the supervision of a specified person over 18 years of age who holds a firearms certificate in respect of the firearm concerned. The Garda Síochána deciding officer in any individual case may impose other conditions in the interests of public safety and security.
    461. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the legislation covering night sights on rifles and guns given that these are being sold in various supermarket outlets; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46475/15]

I can advise the Deputy that S.1(g)(i) of the Firearms Act as amended, defines the following component parts of a firearm as actual ‘firearms’ under the Act: ‘telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm....’.

Applicants for firearm certificates may apply at the time of their application for or during the lifetime of their firearm certificate, to have such component parts attached to the grant of their certificates and may be granted such application if, in the opinion of the issuing Superintendent, the applicant has ‘good reason’ to possess, use and carry these sights.

S.10(1) of the Firearms Act 1925 provides: ‘It shall not be lawful for any person to manufacture, sell, repair, test, or prove, or expose for sale, or have in his possession for sale, repair, test, or proof, by way of trade or business, any firearm or ammunition unless such person is registered in the register of firearms dealers’. If such ‘firearms’ are sold in any place without the seller being currently included in the register of firearms dealers, then that person is guilty of an offence under the Act. If the Deputy has information to that effect it should be brought to the attention of An Garda Síochána.
    Michael Fitzmaurice (Roscommon-South Leitrim, Independent)
    503. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of day gun licences issued by An Garda Síochána to a gun club (details supplied) in County Sligo during the 2014 season and during the 2015 season; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [1342/16]

I can advise the Deputy that since 1 August 2009, all firearm certificates are issued for a period of three years from the date of grant, unless otherwise revoked. The only exception to three year firearm certificates are firearm certificates granted to non residents of this state which issue for a period of one year from the date of grant. A non resident may apply to the Superintendent of the Garda District where the applicant first proposes to shoot.

Applications for non resident firearm certificates are made on the Non Resident Firearm CertificateApplication form and are considered under Section 2 of the Firearms Certificates for Non Residents Act 2000. A person who is granted a non resident firearm certificate may shoot at any time or times for a period of one year provided he/she complies with the conditions of grant of the certificate.

An Garda Siochana advise that no day gun licences were issued by the Sligo/Leitrim Division during the 2014 or the 2015 season.
    Tommy Broughan (Dublin North East, Independent)
    510. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the number of firearm licences revoked, in each of the years 2013 to 2015, including a detailed breakdown of the difference types of firearms revoked; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [1441/16]

An Garda Siochana advise that the total number of Firearms Licences revoked from 2013 to 2015 is 335, the details of which are outlined as follows:
    YEAR|TYPE|NUMBER
    2013|Pistol (Semi Automatic)|6
    2013|Revolver|1
    2013|Rifle|2
    2013|Rifle (Bolt Action)|30
    2013|Rifle (Lever Action)|1
    2013|Rifle (Pump Action)|9
    2013|Shotgun (Pump Action)|1
    2013|Shotgun (Semi Automatic)|10
    2013|Shotgun (Single Barrel)|25
    2013|Shotgun (Under And Over)|56
    TOTAL|-|141
    YEAR|TYPE|NUMBER
    2014|Pistol (Semi Automatic)|5
    2014|Rifle|1
    2014|Rifle (Bolt Action)|27
    2014|Rifle (Pump Action)|5
    2014|Shotgun (Pump Action)|4
    2014|Shotgun (Semi Automatic)|2
    2014|Shotgun (Single Barrel)|22
    2014|Shotgun (Under And Over)|46
    TOTAL|-|112
    YEAR|TYPE|NUMBER
    2015|Pistol (Semi Automatic)|1
    2015|Rifle (Bolt Action)|21
    2015|Rifle (Pump Action)|9
    2015|Shotgun (Pump Action)|3
    2015|Shotgun (Semi Automatic)|11
    2015|Shotgun (Single Barrel)|10
    2015|Shotgun (Under And Over)|27
    TOTAL|-|82

"Day gun licenses"?

WTF???????
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

"night sights are being sold in various supermarket outlets"...
    News to me...

Sparks wrote: »
    "night sights are being sold in various supermarket outlets"...
    News to me...

He must be confusing the infra-red night vision viewers sold in Lidl with a telescopic sight.
    Despite the Lidl device being handheld, and not equipped to be attached to a rifle's receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yeah, the dipsh1t probably doesn't know the difference between those hand held Lidl Bresser scopes and a night vision sight for a gun.

It would be helpful if our elected representatives actually had a clue as to what the feck they were talking about. I don't mean about all things guns, but if they're asking these questions it means one of two things:
    1. They were lobbied to do so by some person or group
    2. They have an agenda and are laying the ground work
    In either scenario the proper research should be done and the proper terminology used. Otherwise you look like a numpty and any impact your question has is lost while those hearing/reading the answers are wetting themselves laughing.

Anyone remember the IFA's proposal that wanted a ban on "Heavy Calibre Automatic firearms". When challenged they did not say sorry we made a mistake, but instead said "we're right, we know we're right, and stop bothering us".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We truely get the leaders we deserve.:rolleyes: M

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

There seems to be an inordinate amount of pump action rifles revoked.

You don't see that many ?
    Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

There is surly something wrong with the number of pump action rifle licenses revoked.
    I don't think I ever seen a pump here in Ireland.

Fudgy figures me thinks..

• Advertisement

Possibly people got a licence issued which purported to be for a "pump action rifle" but in fact actually referred to a bolt action or semi auto. Or even a pump action shotgun.
    They then had to get this licence wording changed and the system somehow flagged this action as a revoked licence.
    In general you are dealing with Gardai who simply don't know the difference between different loading systems.

Advertisement