Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Episode 5x02 -The House of Black and White - Have NOT read the books [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 21-04-2015 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Thread to discuss episode 2 for those who have not watched the leaked versions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Long time viewer first time poster. Not read the books and have not gone ahead on any leaked versions.

So I have one issue or something that's annoying me at the minute. I appreciate the distance is still a fair one to be crossed but would DT ever just get the hell on with it. Get yourself and your army and any of the dragons (if you can), get your ass across that sea, lets crank this s**t up to 11 and kick things off. I'm getting somewhat bored of her and the moral tightrope she is walking about ruling the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭squonk

I kind of agree. Watching last night's episode, I couldn't help thinking what with the revolt, why she didn't just up sticks and get the hell out of there. What's the point in sticking around a city trying to sort out the usual faction fighting that occurs after a status quo is disrupted?

Her story has really gotten bogged down I feel. Even last season there wasn't much to it. I suppsoe there's justification for all that's happening now from the point of view of how a potential future queen of Westeros learns how to rule well but I'd rather see her learning on the job rather than her hanging around Mereen much longer.

Maybe it's just me but I felt not a lot happened this week. We had Cersei acting as the de facto queen putting her yes men in the right places. Kevan's rebuke just shows how rotten she is compared to the nobility of the rest of the family. The Lannisters mightn't be the nicest bunch but they do seem to care about the validity of the kingship. Admittedly they care a bit less if it's not a Lannister on the throne but still! I think Cersei is losing supporters fast. She's looking very vulnerable.

I was looking forward to Arya's meeting with Hagar and seeing what happens afterwards. There wasn't even much to that. Arya hanging out for a day or two in front of the House of Black and White, followed by her almost getting mugged (not that that would have happened Arya) and then finaly meeting Hagar again and getting into the house. Not exactly exciting.

Brienne was probably the best part.

Jon Snow as commander of the Night's Watch! That'll be interesting.

I'm a little put off after the Mance Raidar thing. He was built up as the King of the Wildlings. I'd felt certain he'd have a large part to play for a very long time and now he's gone, just like that. You wonder what the point was really. Just like Oereon last season. It's looking like there's trouble brewing in Dorne as well but nothing concrete just yet.

An episode of seed sowing is how I'd describe it. Positioning to get people where they need to be for the next part of the sotry to unfold and a small few waps of loose ends but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Gotta agree with the poster above. I've been a long time defended of the DT slow building storyline. I've always seen her as an "end game" player in the show so her slow rise to power was an interesting one even if it was not having any direct impact on Westeros. Each season has progressed her rise (and occasional set back) nicely IMO.

However, two episodes in to this season and we're treading the same ground as was covered last season - her struggle to be a fair & just ruler. It's just a bit same same and it's time for her to make her next move. Tyrion and Varyes can't get there soon enough! Their arrival should inject a bit of pace into her plans to rule Westeros.

Other than that, it was a fine episode. It's still setting the scene for the season to come though so there's nothing that exciting/shocking yet. It was fairly obvious Jon was going to win that vote. It's great to see Bronn back, looking forward to him and Jamie on an adventure together :) Also, LOL at Bronn's "betrothed" reaction when Jamie turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I really wanted Jon Snow to take Stannis' offer and become Jon Stark, Lord of Winterfell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭squonk

I really wanted Jon Snow to take Stannis' offer and become Jon Stark, Lord of Winterfell :(

So did I but there was no way that was happening. It was tempting but he's taken his oath now and he still believes in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Stannis's foray up north hasn't gone to plan has it? First the Wildlings, and then Jon Snow decline to join up with him. He must be well pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tyrion will provide Daenerys with the kind of politician she needs on her team, I would imagine. She's keen to do the right thing, but she needs someone shrewd to really pull it off.

I can't help but feel that Stannis is just not really fit for the job. His insistence that his followers should fear him is indicative of a man who really has no interest in truly understanding his people. I think it will eventually backfire. Even Varys said he wasn't up to it.

Looks like Oberyn's brother may be set to come into conflict with his woman. Be interesting to see where that leaves them. She's out for blood, as are his kids by the sounds of it.

What do people think of of the theory that Arya has known the Faceless Man longer than she realizes? That he was also her dance teacher from the first season and, unbeknownst to her, actually survived and has since been keeping an eye on her?

PressRun wrote: »
    Tyrion will provide Daenerys with the kind of politician she needs on her team, I would imagine. She's keen to do the right thing, but she needs someone shrewd to really pull it off.

What do people think of of the theory that Arya has known the Faceless Man longer than she realizes? That he was also her dance teacher from the first season and, unbeknownst to her, actually survived and has since been keeping an eye on her?

Good point on Tyrion & Daenerys! Interesting theory on Faceless Man being the dancing master; I don't quite buy it but it passes a bit of time pondering it : ). One thing about Faceless Man -seeing as he has these almost super-powers of being an elusive, deadly assassin etc, how the feck was ever taken prisoner to be in that wagon where Arya rescued him in the first place?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

chasmcb wrote: »
    One thing about Faceless Man -seeing as he has these almost super-powers of being an elusive, deadly assassin etc, how the feck was ever taken prisoner to be in that wagon where Arya rescued him in the first place?!

I think that's where the theory came from! That he deliberately puts himself in these positions in order to get close to Arya. He's not the kind of person who could be easily identified as a criminal, the whole point is that he has no real identity, so he must have deliberately allowed himself to be captured, either because he knew he would meet Arya or because it was part of a mission to kill someone.

Again, it's just a theory, who knows what's going on with him. But I definitely think there's more to learn about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I can't help but feel that Stannis is just not really fit for the job. His insistence that his followers should fear him is indicative of a man who really has no interest in truly understanding his people. I think it will eventually backfire. Even Varys said he wasn't up to it.

Nicely timed to fit in with the warning Ser Barriston was giving Denearys about her father.

• Advertisement

I think that's where the theory came from! That he deliberately puts himself in these positions in order to get close to Arya. He's not the kind of person who could be easily identified as a criminal, the whole point is that he has no real identity, so he must have deliberately allowed himself to be captured, either because he knew he would meet Arya or because it was part of a mission to kill someone.

Again, it's just a theory, who knows what's going on with him. But I definitely think there's more to learn about him.

Oh for sure, I dare say there'll be some interesting reveals about the Faceless Man and, the more I think of it, I could actually imagine him suddenly doing that "face swipe" manoeuvre and showing himself to be dancing master. We shall see. If the books weren't already written, Paddy Power could do a roaring betting trade on this show predicting which leading character is next to be bumped off or on possible plot twists like the one you suggest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Another solid but unspectacular episode.

On DT, her storyline has been shíte ever since she refused to take the kit off.

Looking forward to Bronn and Kingslayer.

Surprised Stannis wasn't more pissed off with Jon Snow.

The same thing crossed my mind about Jaqen and the dancing teacher - Syrio AFAIR. Also regarding him getting captured. Maybe The Hound was Jaqen also!!! Joking aside, this is probably the one storyline I'm looking forward to the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

My favourite part of the episode was Tyrion's response to Varys after being informed that Cersei was offering a lordship in exchange for his head...

"She ought to offer her cu*t. Best part of her for the best part of me"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Tyrion might be just the thing the Dany story line needs to get it into gear, here's hoping that they do actually meet each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Tyrion might be just the thing the Dany story line needs to get it into gear, here's hoping that they do actually meet each other.

Hopefully. But I fear she'll send the next eight episodes re-taming her dragons before turning her eyes to Westeros in the last scene of this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Funny how much the Daenarys story in this episode mirrored the story in Season 3 when the Karstarks killed the Lannister children that had been captured by the Northern Army - forcing Robb Stark to "hand out justice" and decapitate the leader- resulting in the Karstarks abandoning the Northern army..

Advertisement