Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Dolphins looking at Leach! FB ranks pretty low on importance nowadays, but Leach could really help take the pressure of Tannehill who in my mind is good, but not ready to carry an offence like RG3 or Luck, never mind some of the other QB veterans like manning, Brady or Breese etc!

I think they like the FB they have already Javorski Lane. He is pretty talented & Sherman knows him since his college days so I'd imagine they would give him a chance to improve on his rookie season

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    82 days until the start of the season, and 50 days until pre-season starts. I know it's still a long way away, but the days are ticking down nicely IMO.

Once we get to preseason I always think we're virtually there. Doing that makes it a bit closer for me anyway and easier to bear the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I think they like the FB they have already Javorski Lane. He is pretty talented & Sherman knows him since his college days so I'd imagine they would give him a chance to improve on his rookie season

That may be the case, but if you look at what the Fins have done already this off-season and how aggressive they have been, going after an all pro like Leach makes sense. Considering Miami will be going with 2nd year man Lamar Miller, bringing in a solid vet like Leach would aid Miller's development and open up more holes for him in the running game. Miller is a home run threat, so getting him into the second level as much as possible will mean big gains. Leach would really aid this.

I think it would be a terrific move. With the AFC at its weakest in some time, there is an opportunity for a team like Miami to make a real push at the playoff's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not a fan of Prisco at all, but this is quite a good article with plenty of insight from Matt Ryan, about the Falcons and Seahawks NFC Championship game.

There's plenty of pictures, diagrams etc, so I'll just copy the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22449285/after-further-review-ryan-rewinds-tape-on-final-drive-of-nfc-title-game
    "Before we get started, I want to say that the game wasn't won or lost on this drive," Ryan said. "We had opportunities earlier. I will pull up three plays from earlier that changed the game. We talk about three or five plays that determine the outcome. It wasn't just that last drive."

To help study each of those plays, I will offer some pictures and Ryan will provide the narrative to help make what happened more vivid -- even if Ryan and the Falcons might not want it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Aaron Hernandez questioned, home searched in connection with a murder. Article states he is not a suspect, but a rental car in his name is connected in some way.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130618/patriots-hernandez-questioned-by-police-in-homicide-probe/?sct=uk_t2_a3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not a fan of Prisco at all, but this is quite a good article with plenty of insight from Matt Ryan, about the Falcons and Seahawks NFC Championship game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22449285/after-further-review-ryan-rewinds-tape-on-final-drive-of-nfc-title-game

That's a great piece Paully, think I'll re-watch that last drive again.

Similar in many ways to the 49ers last drive in the superbowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

An enjoyable read alright, especially at this stage of the offseason.

I remember watching the game, and the Falcons should have been out of sight. They let the 49ers hang around and couldn't take their chance when they had it at the end.

The high, aerial, 3/4 shots are great, and really give you a better sense of the space on the field that you don't get from the traditional TV shot.

I see the atention grabbing idiot Bernard Pollard was flapping his chops again.
    Our goal is the Super Bowl and our mission is to kill. And if someone doesn't like it, then who cares? I really couldn't care less
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213520/article/bernard-pollard-goal-is-super-bowl-mission-is-to-kill

Four teams in seven years pretty much sums him up. Getting rid of him was a wise move by the Ravens. And I wonder how long the Titans will put up with him?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I see the atention grabbing idiot Bernard Pollard was flapping his chops again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213520/article/bernard-pollard-goal-is-super-bowl-mission-is-to-kill

Four teams in seven years pretty much sums him up. Getting rid of him was a wise move by the Ravens. And I wonder how long the Titans will put up with him?

A long time i think, if the Titans D performs well he'll stay, he brings attitude but in reality whats he going to say? We're happy to be 3rd AFC south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Fair play to him, he said he was getting in shape and he did just that - JaMarcus Russell is looking better than he has in years.

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBhgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2N4ZzdsNC5qcGcUAhYAEgA&s=5dS3E29RCUfF51S-rGqusItzJnlZoFMX12Qn7WCq4LY

• Advertisement

^ ^ ^

:eek: I think a simple feck me will suffice.

Fair play indeed. Would love to see him make a roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Fair play to him, he said he was getting in shape and he did just that - JaMarcus Russell is looking better than he has in years.

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBhgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2N4ZzdsNC5qcGcUAhYAEgA&s=5dS3E29RCUfF51S-rGqusItzJnlZoFMX12Qn7WCq4LY

Is there any more episodes of the documentary on his comeback?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah they are available online. Saw episode 4 randomly last week. Can't remember where though. Think youtube has them? He has worked extremely hard though and I really hope he gets a shot. When you look at all the criticisms a guy like Tebow gets and still managed to be picked up as a free agent time and time again it seems unfair on Russell. He was poor for this first team and didn't really have a chance after that.

Fair play to him, huge difference from this:

jamarcus-russell-fat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Wow.

I'm calling it now, Pats will sign him as a TE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yeah they are available online. Saw episode 4 randomly last week. Can't remember where though. Think youtube has them? He has worked extremely hard though and I really hope he gets a shot. When you look at all the criticisms a guy like Tebow gets and still managed to be picked up as a free agent time and time again it seems unfair on Russell. He was poor for this first team and didn't really have a chance after that.

Would people please stop equating the two?

JaMarcus threw away his career through stupidity and laziness. Tebow is about the hardest worker you'll find, nevermind being a very good leader and team-mate to boot.

I'm always happy to see someone making a go of things but let's be honest - Tebow deserved a chance, few could argue JaMarcus does. If he gets one, all and good, but let's not fool ourselves about whose fault it is he's in this situation to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ed Reed ranked 18th in the top 100 on NFL Network

Last season he was not even the best safety on the roster.

Texans aren't getting the player they are expecting imo on this pricy two year deal

mikemac1 wrote: »

Texans aren't getting the player they are expecting imo on this pricy two year deal

Apparently they didn't think he'd need surgery either. I love Reed, always will, but he would have been more effective as a fence at Cheltenham given how many times he got hurdled last year. His shoulder is in bits and he can't tackle any more.

I feel the Texans will find that the grass isn't always greener after letting Glover Quin go to get Reed in. Although his leadership and winning mentality will be invaluable to a team that need to get over the hump of beating an elite team in the playoffs, they've taken a step back on the playing side of things at that safety position.

mikemac1 wrote: »

I love Reed but there's no way. He was there in his peak yeah but he's a ghost of what he used to be.

Also Flacco getting beaten out by Matt Ryan and RG3???
    Joe outplayed both of them last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I love Reed but there's no way. He was there in his peak yeah but he's a ghost of what he used to be.

Also Flacco getting beaten out by Matt Ryan and RG3???
    Joe outplayed both of them last year.

No he did not. He got hot at the right time, but how did he outplay RGIII?

Regular Season 2012 Stats:

Flacco: 317/531 60% comp 22 TDs 10 INTs 3,817 yards
    RGIII: 258/393 65.6% comp 20 TD 5 INTs 3,200 yards with 815 yards on the ground and 7 TDs on 120 attempts.

That's also only in 15 games compared to Flacco's 16.

Matt Ryan: 422/615 68.6% comp 32 TDs 14 INTs 4,719 yards

Both players clearly outplayed Flacco.

Post season:

Flacco: 73/126 58% comp 11 TDs 0 INTs in 4 games
    Griffin was injured for the game against the Seahawks so not a great measure.
    Ryan: 54/77 70% comp 6 TDs 3 INTs in 2 games

So I think to say Flacco outplayed both of them is wrong tbh. Especially RGIII.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,479 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its easy for a QB to play from behind a wall and that is what Flacco had. I don't think that OL got enough credit for what they did last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens Oline chopped and changed all season and it did not get to its strongest unit until the playoffs.

Solid but it was nowhere near a top Oline in the regular season.

Gave up 38 sacks in the regular season which was 19th in the league
    Gave up 69 QB hits which is 14th and despite two fantastic backs in Rice and Pierce and the best fullback in the league in Leach were 12th in the league in yards per carry at 4.3

Some say your right tackle must be a great run blocker. Maybe. Didn't work in Baltimore who were 10th in the league for negative yards when rushing to the right. Having Tight ends who are abysmal blockers did not help either.

Michael Oher played at left tackle and allowed 10 sacks (joint 3rd highest for linemen in the league) and committed 11 penalites.
    Big Mike may have name recognition and get fans votes for the probowl but you won't find many Ravens fans calling him a pro bowler.

At left guard there was 36 year old Bobbie Williams signed from FA after being released by the Bengals. A popular player in the locker room but his best days long gone and he was benched after six games. In came 6' 7" 335lb Mike Mayock favourite Jah Reid.
    Signed to be a right tackle but got abused in pre-season due to being slooooooow so he was tried at guard. Fans hoped his size and strength would mean good things for the run game. Benched as a liability.

Finally a solution was found in Kelechi Osemele who was utterly superb at left guard and make fans soon forget about 1st rounder Ben Grubbs who went to New Orleans in free agency.

Center
    A top pro and leader in Matt Birk who got collasal criticism for being abused by Vince Wilfork in the 2011 AFC Championship game. The fact he played hurt for years and had his knees drained after every game meant many thought he was going to retire before this season.
    Had a solid year but nothing spectacular.

Right Guard
    Best RG in the league and one of the top 5 players on the roster was Marshal Yanda who started every game, elected to the pro bowl and will be a beast for years to come. Not bad for a 3rd round pick from Iowa!

Right tackle.
    Kelechi Osemele did his best but was whipped by speed rushers and make rookie mistakes. Guard is where he belongs and Oher can be steady and then commit 2 penalties in a row.

The offensive line was different class in the playoffs and certainly deserves full credit.
    It was not like that at all in the regular season.

Going by reports Bryant McKinnie has slimmed down and is working hard. A lot of the season will depend on him!
    If he goes back to the dog house the line will chop and change again

12_McKinnie_news.jpg

SantryRed wrote: »

Yeah when you look at the stats like that I can't argue that they had better statistical years. Didn't realise Ryan had such a good year.

Sometimes you can throw about all the stats you want, but what they usually don't show is that immeasurable - a teams destiny. I'm a bigger believer in it. Flacco was dire at times last season, but in the playoffs he didn't put a foot wrong and deserved his big pay day. Oh stats might show they stumbled into the playoffs losing 4 of their last 5 games. But they won when it mattered and that's the only stat that counts at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

SantryRed wrote: »
    No he did not. He got hot at the right time, but how did he outplay RGIII?

Regular Season 2012 Stats:

Flacco: 317/531 60% comp 22 TDs 10 INTs 3,817 yards
    RGIII: 258/393 65.6% comp 20 TD 5 INTs 3,200 yards with 815 yards on the ground and 7 TDs on 120 attempts.

That's also only in 15 games compared to Flacco's 16.

Matt Ryan: 422/615 68.6% comp 32 TDs 14 INTs 4,719 yards

Both players clearly outplayed Flacco.

Post season:

Flacco: 73/126 58% comp 11 TDs 0 INTs in 4 games
    Griffin was injured for the game against the Seahawks so not a great measure.
    Ryan: 54/77 70% comp 6 TDs 3 INTs in 2 games

Does postseason suddenly not count?

davyjose wrote: »
    Does postseason suddenly not count?

I included post season too, but you obviously take the whole season into account, and what he did in the post season doesn't put him past what Ryan and Griffin did in the regular season.

Sometimes you can throw about all the stats you want, but what they usually don't show is that immeasurable - a teams destiny. I'm a bigger believer in it. Flacco was dire at times last season, but in the playoffs he didn't put a foot wrong and deserved his big pay day. Oh stats might show they stumbled into the playoffs losing 4 of their last 5 games. But they won when it mattered and that's the only stat that counts at the end of the day.

And the game they did win, Flacco checked down on a 4th and 29. Still can't believe he did it, and even more so can't believe Rice pulled it outta the bag!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

NFL are unveiling a new award in 2013: The Deacon Jones Award, given to the player with the most sacks.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    NFL are unveiling a new award in 2013: The Deacon Jones Award, given to the player with the most sacks.

Most sacks?........I thought all us lads had only two sacks? :D

Yes I know.

* gets coat *

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hey lads, NFL ticket exchange whats the low down?
    Want to book some good tickets for the seattle/titans game and the guys on the seahawks forum think i'd be better off getting good seats on there rather than crappy seats from ticketmaster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement