Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best free virtualisation software

• 09-11-2014 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

What is the best free virtualisation software. virtual box does not seem to have some of the options claimed. i cannot drag an ddrop between host and guest and cannot share folders. does not always work accoring to google searches

I want one that

Allows me to interact with the host.
    Drag drop files
    share folders
    copy and paste links and files

VMware free or the MS one. anyone used?

Host is win 7 64 bit home premium. Need xp or vista guest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

You can share folders between the VM and the Host i beleive once Guest additions is installed on the VM.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

VMware workstation is not free but you can download a trial version to see if it suits your needs.

http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/workstation-evaluation

I don't have much experience with Microsoft hyper-v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

STEINBERG wrote: »
    You can share folders between the VM and the Host i beleive once Guest additions is installed on the VM.

should be able to but does not work or me. Lots on VB forum about it not working some can and some cant. Can't put up URLS

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Pucking Fissed Off

The drag and drop function in Virtualbox only works on a linux host.

Vmware only offer the player for free which only allows you access to a vm it will not act like a hypervisor.

Hyper-V is a more industrial solution that was only available on the server OS's until windows 8.
    The windows 8 Hyper-V is a scaled down version of the server role and in my experience not a very viable desktop virtualization solution.

A virtual machine should be thought of like a separate machine not an application so network drives or shared folders should be your file sharing method not drag and drop.

Remote desktop can be used to support a shared clipboard which will allow copy and paste of files and text. But the protocol is not designed to be used for large file transfers.

If you give more detail of your aims and problems we might be of more help (host and guest OS's file sizes to share etc.).

The drag and drop function in Virtualbox only works on a linux host.

Vmware only offer the player for free which only allows you access to a vm it will not act like a hypervisor.

Hyper-V is a more industrial solution that was only available on the server OS's until windows 8.
    The windows 8 Hyper-V is a scaled down version of the server role and in my experience not a very viable desktop virtualization solution.

A virtual machine should be thought of like a separate machine not an application so network drives or shared folders should be your file sharing method not drag and drop.

Remote desktop can be used to support a shared clipboard which will allow copy and paste of files and text. But the protocol is not designed to be used for large file transfers.

If you give more detail of your aims and problems we might be of more help (host and guest OS's file sizes to share etc.).

Thnaks
    Host win 7 64 bit home premium
    Guest Xp3 Sp3
    Want to move pictures mostly between them
    Copy all picture folder to guest
    Then when loading new pics from camera copy to host and guest

Yorker wrote: »
    Thnaks
    Host win 7 64 bit home premium
    Guest Xp3 Sp3
    Want to move pictures mostly between them
    Copy all picture folder to guest
    Then when loading new pics from camera copy to host and guest

Your only free option for Windows 7 is VitrualBox.

A couple of questions:

1. Are you using NAT for the network settings of your virtual machine? Do you know what this means?

2. Do you know how to share a folder to make it accessible from another computer?

• Advertisement

Your only free option for Windows 7 is VitrualBox.

A couple of questions:

1. Are you using NAT for the network settings of your virtual machine? Do you know what this means?

2. Do you know how to share a folder to make it accessible from another computer?

1 Yes attached to NAT Adapter typer PCnet FAST III am79c973
    2 On my host yes i think so , properties sharing?

I had to type NAT Adapter typer PCnet FAST III am79c973 from guest to this host i am on now. want to be able to copy paste

The files would be mostly photos. From the camera they are about 7MB. The whiole pictuire folder is 7GB.

Thehost had comodo firewall and the guest has private firewall.

And as well as sharing folders I want to be able to share any pic from the host pics at any time. Now i have to copy to usb in host, make the usb available to the guest and copy to guest

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Yorker i dont mean to be a nosy bag but why are you copying files (pics) from a host to a VM? Are you thinking this is a backup solution?

Yorker wrote: »
    1 Yes attached to NAT Adapter typer PCnet FAST III am79c973
    2 On my host yes i think so , properties sharing?

I had to type NAT Adapter typer PCnet FAST III am79c973 from guest to this host i am on now. want to be able to copy paste

The files would be mostly photos. From the camera they are about 7MB. The whiole pictuire folder is 7GB.

Thehost had comodo firewall and the guest has private firewall.

And as well as sharing folders I want to be able to share any pic from the host pics at any time. Now i have to copy to usb in host, make the usb available to the guest and copy to guest

Do you want your vm to have internet access? With your current settings it does.

To keep internet access you need to change your network settings to bridged. You will then have your vm and your host on the same network. Create a file share on one machine, map it on another and the job is done.

To share without internet access, you need to switch network settings to internal Network .
    This will give you a virtual network adapter on your host machine. If you assign an IP address to the new network card and the vm you can share a folder and map a drive as above.

These steps are bit high level and might not fully make sense to you. I can go into more detail or post some links to online resources if you need more help.

STEINBERG brings up an interesting point. If you don't mind me asking, how come you need the pictures on both machines?

Advertisement