Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Football fans least homophobic

• 29-05-2014 10:05am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We all have a belief that Irish football fans are the best in the world. Well this has just been proven

A survey carried out by Europe's leading gay equality charity, Stonewall, which polled over 30,000 fans from 29 countries, found that Irish football supporters would be the most accepting of a player in their national team coming out as homosexual, with 83% saying they were comfortable with the idea.
    Sweden and Denmark followed next with 79% ahead of the United Kingdom with 73%, while this summer's World Cup host nation Brazil came sixth (67%).
    Supporters from Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates (both 7%) had the lowest acceptance rates of such a scenario.

Take a bow guys. Nice to see a positive article on men*

*who make up 70%+ of supporters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

If he a world class Midfielder we be glad to have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I'd say it'd depend on who it is. James McCarthy? Don't worry about it son, just get out there and play.

Paul Green.. eh Pauly I think you might be in the 2nd team this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Wouldn't care if he had 3 heads and a chihuahua called Dave, if he could play football we'd be delighted to have him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'd say it'd depend on who it is. James McCarthy? Don't worry about it son, just get out there and play.

Paul Green.. eh Pauly I think you might be in the 2nd team this week...

To bring the analogy back to the 80's and 90's, it is easy to welcome a world class Paul McGrath type player but I don't think the lesser black players like (say) Phil Babb ever got any hassle (although I stand to be corrected here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    To bring the analogy back to the 80's and 90's, it is easy to welcome a world class Paul McGrath type player but I don't think the lesser black players like (say) Phil Babb ever got any hassle (although I stand to be corrected here).

Phil Babb is a national treasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I don't think the lesser black players like (say) Phil Babb ever got any hassle (although I stand to be corrected here).

Only after coming out from Coppers and deciding to play Starsky And Hutch on a patrol car! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭tigger123

A professional player coming out is long overdue. It's great to see football fans reacting in this way, even if it is only a survey. The game's gradually changing, which is a good thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps they might like to do another poll on attitudes on those who are free to come out in their disproval of homosexually within fear of the liberal mob. Then again, Stonewall is quite adapt at launching campaigns against those that speak out against their agenda with their Bigot of the year awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Manach wrote: »
    Perhaps they might like to do another poll on attitudes on those who are free to come out in their disproval of homosexually within fear of the liberal mob. Then again, Stonewall is quite adapt at launching campaigns against those that speak out against their agenda with their Bigot of the year awards.
    what agenda is this now?

An agenda: change in Western society's attitude to homosexual behaviour so as to accept in as a norm instead of what was traditionally the view as not a norm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

An agenda: change in Western society's attitude to homosexual behaviour so as to accept in as a norm instead of what was traditionally the view as not a norm

Is that a bad thing? The equality of all has long been a value of Western society but it is really only recently that it has started to become a reality for more marginalised people.

From what I know of history, equality has been a phrase use to drive societal change since the 1640s (Levelers etc). What this usually entails is an upturning from of the organic traditional values to one which is based on theoretical considerations of what should be in an ideal society (French Revolution etc) and the associated disorders.
    In this specific case, society is moving away from determinering certain behaviours are wrong/right into not making judgment calls at all - that all are equally valid. So instead of a having an objective normalative set of conforming values, a subjective scale of currently acceptable behaviours are in place : as however that are lacking a clear framework beyond a touchstone of say "equality" then to re-enforce this unstable dynamic, lobbyists like Stonewall are not adverse to re-enforcing the group "them/us" paradigm - hence the Bigot of the year awards etc or listing where unenlightened types are to be found. Hence the survey of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think you'll find that's not called an agenda, its called progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

Stephen Ireland is not coming back lads, just let go of it.

Glad to see 83% of our fans have the intelligence not to equate sexuality to ability to play sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

From what I know of history, equality has been a phrase use to drive societal change since the 1640s (Levelers etc).

Gah, things have gotten so much worse than then, you know. Life was perfect in 1640.
    Manach wrote:
    What this usually entails is an upturning from of the organic traditional values to one which is based on theoretical considerations of what should be in an ideal society (French Revolution etc) and the associated disorders.

how the french thought those organic traditional values needed upturning is quite beyond me.
    Manach wrote:
    In this specific case, society is moving away from determinering certain behaviours are wrong/right into not making judgment calls at all - that all are equally valid.

its so wrong. How else can we judge people for mixing races, believing in differing gods, questioning the norms
    Manach wrote:
    So instead of a having an objective normalative set of conforming values, a subjective scale of currently acceptable behaviours are in place : as however that are lacking a clear framework beyond a touchstone of say "equality" then to re-enforce this unstable dynamic, lobbyists like Stonewall are not adverse to re-enforcing the group "them/us" paradigm - hence the Bigot of the year awards etc or listing where unenlightened types are to be found. Hence the survey of fans.

Yeah, theres no reason to change from our currently accepted right and wrong, we will only evolve as a species and a society if we keep that up. and thats the last thing we want.

</sarcasm>

It is wrong to judge someone based on their race, creed, gender or sexuality. it is wrong to judge people based solely on their differences.
    I feel bad for people who use THESE things as a measure of right and wrong.
    How you act in accordance with your fellow man. Thats where its at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,060 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Here's a link for anyone who wants one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27606171

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

jayobray wrote: »
    Wouldn't care if he had 3 heads and a chihuahua called Dave, if he could play football we'd be delighted to have him.
    Three heads could be bloody useful in a centre forward!

Honestly though, it's a little disappointing that there's still almost a fifth of football fans that are so homophobic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Go home, you're drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why do some people fear or have issue with what other consenting adults do? Well adjusted individuals who are comfortable with their own sexuality and gender have no issue with others sexuality and gender so why do you have these issues? You come across as a strong candidate of someone with internalised homophobia.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Honestly though, it's a little disappointing that there's still almost a fifth of football fans that are so homophobic.

Ah I don't think so. 83% is very high. Without knowing the exact question asked it is hard to know the reasoning of the balance of people.
    We are far ahead of most countries with respect to football fans (at international matches). I am a season ticket holder and have also been to away games and have never heard a word uttered about gay/black/english in all of them games.
    Stark contrast to matches where you see bananas being thrown at players or aggressive abuse of others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,060 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As far as I know, the Irish fans have a great reputation abroad so this doesn't surprise me. The last world cup I took an interest in was 2002 and there were pics of them mingling with the other fans. It was the same when Celtic played FC Porto in the 2003 UEFA Cup final.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

We had all sorts of ridiculous 'traditional norms' here. Happily most are disappearing.

Some, such as fish on a Friday, we're essentially harmless. Others are profoundly damaging, and abhorrent to right thinking people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ongarboy wrote: »
    Why do some people fear or have issue with what other consenting adults do? Well adjusted individuals who are comfortable with their own sexuality and gender have no issue with others sexuality and gender so why do you have these issues? You come across as a strong candidate of someone with internalised homophobia.

It doesn't tread as 'internalised'. Just expressed in a passive aggressive kinda way...

...I am a season ticket holder and have also been to away games and have never heard a word uttered about gay/black/english in all of them games...

On the other hand booing anyone who has played with Rangers is of course perfectly acceptable :pac:

skallywag wrote: »
    On the other hand booing anyone who has played with Rangers is of course perfectly acceptable :pac:

Fair point.

Fair point.

You're definitely right though in general, I've been to many aways and the you practically never see trouble, which is amazing considering the amount of drink which is consumed. It's great to have that reputation, you can can really see the difference in the way the locals react to you, how the police conduct themselves, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Sleepy wrote: »
    Three heads could be bloody useful in a centre forward!

That's a survey from a tiny sample. The majority are homophobic.

That's a survey from a tiny sample. The majority are homophobic.

I assume you have a source that proves the majority are homophobic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

I assume you have a source that proves the majority are homophobic?

Life experience. How do I link ?

Advertisement