Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SERVER WILL NOT BOOT

• 21-10-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,
    If a Server does not boot, what could the reasons be?
    Yesterday a Server was accessible for Users, they could Read and Write to it.

Problem: The Server appeared to be in Hibernation mode and when i tried to wake it, it would not respond.
    The Server has never been touched in over a year so it was just sitting there doing it's thing.
    Eventually i had to switch PSU to get it going.

I checked the Bios and there is a HD available, but when i power on, the Boot sequence seems to bypass the Boot image on the HD and continues to show a
    1:PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Boot Agent

Then:

PXE-E51 : No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.
    PXE-M0F: Exiting HP PXE ROM.

Has the HD failed on the Server? and if so, then why did it fail when a Boot was initilized?

System: HP Proliant ML115 G5
    BIOS Version: 04/16/2008

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Sounds like hard drive or maybe raid controller?

Is there more than 1 drive in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Yes there are 3 HD's.
    I am switching them to an other PC to see if they are detected in Disk Management but they are not showing.

On the server splashscreen it does state that it has detected the 3 HD's.

I am just a bit confused, because people were accessing the Server yesterday and since i went to start the Server up then everything just seemed to have failed?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

This Server does not appear to have a Raid Controller installed. Could this be a File Server without an OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Are they sata or sas hard drive?
    sas are cabled back to an expansion card in those servers where as sata so straight to the mother board.

Does the hard drive activity led come on when the drives are in the server and its switched on ? its under the power button (left led)

Have you checked in the BIOS the boot order? NIC is normally last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

If they are Sata drives and are not showing up in another PC then it sounds like they are dead.
    Fingers crossed you have a recent bare metal restore.

jamesd wrote: »
    Are they sata or sas hard drive?
    sas are cabled back to an expansion card in those servers where as sata so straight to the mother board.

Does the hard drive activity led come on when the drives are in the server and its switched on ? its under the power button (left led)

Have you checked in the BIOS the boot order? NIC is normally last.

Hi they are SATA, straight to the Motherboard.
    The hd led just flickers briefly. Then nothing.

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote: »
    If they are Sata drives and are not showing up in another PC then it sounds like they are dead.
    Fingers crossed you have a recent bare metal restore.

There are 3 HD's in the Server and none of them are showing up on a different PC.
    Is it possible that the 3 are configured to work together and not alone?

IrlMonk wrote: »
    There are 3 HD's in the Server and none of them are showing up on a different PC.
    Is it possible that the 3 are configured to work together and not alone?

The three disks may be in a RAID-5 configuration. If this is the case, you won't be able to read them individually. They'd have to be read as a set, and preferably using the same controller type as in the original server. The ML115 G5 uses Nvidia RAID if I recall correctly.

It's possible that the CMOS battery has died and the BIOS settings have reset to defaults. In this case, you might need to to change the SATA mode to RAID mode in the BIOS setup in order for the disks to be detected correctly.

Karsini wrote: »
    The three disks may be in a RAID-5 configuration. If this is the case, you won't be able to read them individually. They'd have to be read as a set, and preferably using the same controller type as in the original server. The ML115 G5 uses Nvidia RAID if I recall correctly.

It's possible that the CMOS battery has died and the BIOS settings have reset to defaults. In this case, you might need to to change the SATA mode to RAID mode in the BIOS setup in order for the disks to be detected correctly.
    Hi,
    i changed all the SATA to RAID in the BIOS and Windows Server 2003 R2 is now setting up.
    So the CMOS battery had reset the BIOS TO it's default settings.
    Will i leave the settings now as they are?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Hi,
    i changed all the SATA to RAID in the BIOS and Windows Server 2003 R2 is now setting up.
    So the CMOS battery had reset the BIOS TO it's default settings.
    Will i leave the settings now as they are?

Thanks
    Yep. But you will also have go out and buy yourself a new CR2032 battery, shut down the server, replace the battery on the motherboard and bring it back up.

The next time the server goes into any kind of low-power mode the same thing might happen again.

Advertisement