Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castelli kit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

My Castelli Gabba just arrived in the post today as well! Can't wait to try her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

What level of Castelli should one jump in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    My Castelli Gabba just arrived in the post today as well! Can't wait to try her out.

Same here think she might get her maiden voyage Sunday...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I tried a lot of other gear but for cold weather winter wear castelli is excellent, windproof bibs and an Alpha jacket with a long sleeve base layers covers everything. I got most of it on special.

Buy your winter gear in the summer and vice a versa

For a level all my gear is their Rossa Corsa range, shop clever and there are great savings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

We have the summer for it anyway! This summer has amplified my Gabba lust.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    We have the summer for it anyway! This summer has amplified my Gabba lust.

I've been getting a lot of use out of my Boards/Verge Defender which is best described as a Gabbaesque mild but wet jersey for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

i have a good few items of castelli stuff. i liked the nanoflex warmers so much i got the bib tights for winter and love them. have some bib shorts and they fit well and look good but stitching became frayed after first ride and that is a problem Iv heard a few reviews mention. also the brand printing is prone to peeling on some items too. I still like the gear and if you get it on sale as I try to then its excellent value

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Guys you'd cook in a gabba at the moment. I don't find them as warm as others, need a couple of layers in winter, and I would find it way too warm at the moment

mossym wrote: »
    Guys you'd cook in a gabba at the moment. I don't find them as warm as others, need a couple of layers in winter, and I would find it way too warm at the moment

It was 3 degrees the other night up here!! The annoying thing at the minute is that it changes every few hours. Lashing down and then bright sky an hour later. Hope it warms up as Im getting too much use out of winter gear for the middle of summer.

Fair point,, if you're heading out and it is 3 degrees fair enough. Anything over 10 ish though and I'd consider it too warm for the gabba

• Advertisement

Fair point,, if you're heading out and it is 3 degrees fair enough. Anything over 10 ish though and I'd consider it too warm for the gabba

Really? A mate of mine wears it when it's under 15 and over 8-10, roughly. I wouldn't bother if it was only good under 10 degrees, I have the Castelli Mortirolo for that.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sold out, bah.

I wore mine all the way down to near freezing with additional base layers. definite over 12 id be gone to a lighter long sleeve jersey or arm warmers.

Well the DhB ASV Professional bibs did not work well on today's 150k...I think it'll be between Castelli and Endura next time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was 3 degrees the other night up here!! The annoying thing at the minute is that it changes every few hours. Lashing down and then bright sky an hour later. Hope it warms up as Im getting too much use out of winter gear for the middle of summer.

Good thing with the gabba is that it rolls up pretty neatly to fit in the back pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Brian? wrote: »
    Really? A mate of mine wears it when it's under 15 and over 8-10, roughly. I wouldn't bother if it was only good under 10 degrees, I have the Castelli Mortirolo for that.

I could count the number of times I've worn my Gabba on one hand since I got it. I can't remember when that was exactly, but very early this year. I personally bother with it if it was over 8deg.

Everyone is different. Some people run hotter than others. I start to cook in it at any sort of decent effort very quickly. It might be a more useful top in a better range of temperatures for people that head out with club touring/sportive groups or whatever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

i have a good few items of castelli stuff. i liked the nanoflex warmers so much i got the bib tights for winter and love them. have some bib shorts and they fit well and look good but stitching became frayed after first ride and that is a problem Iv heard a few reviews mention. also the brand printing is prone to peeling on some items too. I still like the gear and if you get it on sale as I try to then its excellent value

Wash them all inside out and no problems with anything coming off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Do Castelli make RSA-approved high vis clothing?

As far as I can deduce, to get RSA approval, clothing must be:

XXL
    Very bright yellow
    Sweaty
    Catch as much wind as possible.

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    Do Castelli make RSA-approved high vis clothing?

As far as I can deduce, to get RSA approval, clothing must be:

XXL
    Very bright yellow
    Sweaty
    Catch as much wind as possible.

A Castelli size XXXXXXZXXL would be more appropriate to the popular Irish "road safety" lifestyle.

Just got a set of Endura FS260S in the LBS.

Might nab some Castelli Sorpasso tights on Sportspursuit after a bit more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Borderfox wrote: »
    Wash them all inside out and no problems with anything coming off.

i do and always by hand, the lettering does begin to peel on some of their items - nanoflex tights and warmers (the tights before Id even worn them in fact). It's a known issue with some of their items. Some of their other Iv had stuff no problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Very impressed with the Gabba today, kept me warm and almost dry, just a bit of dampness around the shoulders, I had no ass saver but the tail of the gabba kept the rear end dry. Very happy with my purchase.

godtabh wrote: »
    Good thing with the gabba is that it rolls up pretty neatly to fit in the back pocket

You must have pretty big pockets. It must twice the size of a normal packabe jacket rolled up

You must have pretty big pockets. It must twice the size of a normal packabe jacket rolled up

One of the many benefits of being big n'tall my jersey pockets are huge.

I'm 6'1 and I can't imagine cycling around with something as bulky as a rolled up gabba in my back pocket . Jersets are usually a M though so maybe pockets are smaller

Either way, there are way better choices for a packable jacket.

I'm 6'1 and I can't imagine cycling around with something as bulky as a rolled up gabba in my back pocket . Jersets are usually a M though so maybe pockets are smaller

Either way, there are way better choices for a packable jacket.

I usually carry a gilet and a rain jacket in my XXL pockets along with my essentials.

Carrying a whole other long sleeved jersey might be pushing it though

Debut with my gabba today. Too warm for it but just had to get wearing it. Im going to reserve a proper judgement on it until I get through the start of the winter with it but I have to say I'm very impressed. I love the fit of it, nothing flapping about like you get with rain jackets. I chose an XL and it's a perfect fit and not too tight but not loose either. I got caught in two showers and was amazed how the rain wicks off the jacket. It's a very warm jacket as well and i'm sure with the right base layers I could get away with wearing it in the winter. As I said I used it for the first time today so I am not going to say it's the best thing ever but so far so good.

Also I def wouldn't want to be putting the Gabba in the back pocket.

The Castelli sizing tool on Wiggle appears to be telling me that Castelli is not for me.

The Castelli sizing tool on Wiggle appears to be telling me that Castelli is not for me.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I'm a big unit and Castelli XXL jerseys and jackets are perfect. I wear Xl bib shorts and longs.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

aye, i'm a size up in castelli too, usually a medium in most, L in castelli

Advertisement