Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Did anyone get a breakdown of their results from the tax category? I got mine and I am in the top percentile but no word of an interview. Was the report just for my own information?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OBSC

Ditto that CavanGal. Not too hopeful really, lacking experience. It was a bit odd, getting the text message for something of so little consequence!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 blueblood1

CavanGal wrote: »
    Did anyone get a breakdown of their results from the tax category? I got mine and I am in the top percentile but no word of an interview. Was the report just for my own information?

yeah got mine, top percentile also which was nice to hear! They initially said we'd have that by the end of April so a few weeks late but I think it's just for our own benefit. Everyone who applied for tax got a breakdown of how they fared!

Im dreading the presentation/interview. I've basically zero experience in tax although my degree was in taxation. I've management experience which Im hoping will balance things out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

blueblood1 wrote: »
    Im dreading the presentation/interview. I've basically zero experience in tax although my degree was in taxation. I've management experience which Im hoping will balance things out for me!

I'm the same. I have no tax experience but do have legal and financial and a law degree so its my best shot until or if they send out the law applications.

Is it just me or are they very slow getting back to us about interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Has anyone from the Banking and Finance stream heard anything since being placed on the panel?

Hopefully I'll be moving up with a few people who are ahead of me taking an economics offer first :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 blueblood1

CavanGal wrote: »
    I'm the same. I have no tax experience but do have legal and financial and a law degree so its my best shot until or if they send out the law applications.

Is it just me or are they very slow getting back to us about interviews?

Yeah same as, Law and Tax Degree and I've a good few years experience with a Solicitors firm.

They are slow but Im thinking thats a good thing for us because people have applied for multiple panels. The more that is accepted on to other panels/jobs it'll help reduce the numbers on tax and law. But I do feel Im clutching at straws! And Im also dreading the presentations!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Just got the Law feedback. Said I placed in the top percentile but no mention of what happens next or when.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

WTF was dat message about? No wonder i didnt qualify I cant even understand their messages! Sincerely feel so sorry 4 those poor ppl that had 2 sort through all that jus to tell me that yes u did crap and here is how crap u did compared to every1 else! Lord . . . .:rolleyes:

Did you apply for law?
    AFAIK, nothing has been set for law so you might still qualify.

For those who got their feedback for other areas, how long did it roughly take between getting feedback and getting instructions on the next stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Ya law feedback bu such a load of muck and waste of time. Would they not jus sort out hu they want to proceed to next stage and get on with it? :mad:

• Advertisement

I know exactly what you mean, I'm leaving the country in a month so if they leave it too late I won't be around for the interviews.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

lool, top percentiles in numerical and verbal yet 10-30 percentile in job simulation.

Fairly embarassing to be honest.

Verbal Reasoning Test
    Your Score 654 Qualifying Score 336

Numerical Reasoning
    Your Score 647 Qualifying Score 396

Job Simulation Exercise
    Your Score 400 Qualifying Score 400

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Lockstep wrote: »

For those who got their feedback for other areas, how long did it roughly take between getting feedback and getting instructions on the next stage?

I actually got my economics and Business and Finance feedback after I'd sent in my follow up application so I don't think the feedback stage is related to moving on to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I think the whole recruitment process is a joke to be honest :rolleyes:
    Eg in the job ad for tax and accounting they stated that being a qualified accountant or tax advisers would be desirable.
    Yet the whole recruitment is based on these speed tests.
    I would love to know of the top 100 in tax and accounting how many were qualified and had experience. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

LillySV wrote: »
    I think the whole recruitment process is a joke to be honest :rolleyes:
    Eg in the job ad for tax and accounting they stated that being a qualified accountant or tax advisers would be desirable.
    Yet the whole recruitment is based on these speed tests.
    I would love to know of the top 100 in tax and accounting how many were qualified and had experience. :confused:

I would assume the top 100 were further screened for relevancy of qualifications etc on which they then interviewed anyone that qualified. What will be interesting is that alot of the same people will be on different panels so when it comes to actually hiring (if they ever get to that stage) the pool of condidtaes on the panel may well dry up pretty quickly as they choose one stream over another.
    It depends on how many jobs are actually available which noone seems to know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jayteecork wrote: »
    lool, top percentiles in numerical and verbal yet 10-30 percentile in job simulation.

Fairly embarassing to be honest.

Verbal Reasoning Test
    Your Score 654 Qualifying Score 336

Numerical Reasoning
    Your Score 647 Qualifying Score 396

Job Simulation Exercise
    Your Score 400 Qualifying Score 400

I am slightly confused over what they were looking for in the Job Simulation Exercise. I assumed they were looking for the normal things like leadership, teamwork, efficency, delegation etc etc and answered accordingly. For example do you remember the question about the photocopying. Should you come in on Saturday, ask the secretaries to do it or put off the deadline. I would have answered get the to do it but my results in that section indicate that I was on the wrong track. So not sure what they are wanting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am slightly confused over what they were looking for in the Job Simulation Exercise. I assumed they were looking for the normal things like leadership, teamwork, efficency, delegation etc etc and answered accordingly. For example do you remember the question about the photocopying. Should you come in on Saturday, ask the secretaries to do it or put off the deadline. I would have answered get the to do it but my results in that section indicate that I was on the wrong track. So not sure what they are wanting

That was the answer I chose actually. And I came in the 85-100th percentile in Job Simulation. However, I only got 38 of 52 Verbal reasoning completed which put me in the 20-30th percentile. So it dragged down my score big time. Was bit surprised as I thought the results would have been the other way around. Found the Job Simulation a bit confusing but did get it all completed. So rather disappointed that the verbal reasoning ruined my score overall.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

If I knew how to answer that I wouldn't have been in 10-30 percentile would I?

Well anyway just goes to show what a pantomime this process is.

I pwn in general intelligence yet get shafted in "job simulation" - like you can simulate a job in a series of MCQs over 45 minutes,

Do they break it down further into 10-30 percentile?
    Mine just says top percentile. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Very confused now! I was told a number of weeks ago that I was ranked 117 in the hr sub campaign and that the first 100 were through to the next stage. Then at 23:22 tonight I got an email from public jobs with an application form for stage 3 to be returned by 23rd may. Anyone else get this? Bit of a strange time to send such correspondence no?

• Advertisement

Very confused now! I was told a number of weeks ago that I was ranked 117 in the hr sub campaign and that the first 100 were through to the next stage. Then at 23:22 tonight I got an email from public jobs with an application form for stage 3 to be returned by 23rd may. Anyone else get this? Bit of a strange time to send such correspondence no?

I ranked early 200s and got the stage 3 form too. First 100 may not have been adequately experienced or dropped out for other sub campaigns. Take it as good news. We are still in with a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Oh I'm definitely taking it as good news, just found it a bit strange considering the time of the email on a Friday night and the fact that I had no message on my public jobs profile. Do you mind me asking have you much hr experience? I'm only out of college a year and have very limited experience but am cipd accredited

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maxol

phoenix999 wrote: »

I ranked early 200s and got the stage 3 form too. First 100 may not have been adequately experienced or dropped out for other sub campaigns. Take it as good news. We are still in with a shot.

Yep I placed 107 on HR and I just got stage 3 form! Yay :-)

Oh I'm definitely taking it as good news, just found it a bit strange considering the time of the email on a Friday night and the fact that I had no message on my public jobs profile. Do you mind me asking have you much hr experience? I'm only out of college a year and have very limited experience but am cipd accredited

I know. Not even sure why I checked my email. Thought it was about the test scores again. I got ranked in top percentile for job simulation but messed up the verbal reasoning. So great just to get the form. I have 2 masters degrees in hr, diploma in emploment law, full cipd member, 5 years experience and a few publications on the subject. So hoping I might get to interview. Fingers and toes crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

I was just inside the top 100 for HR, did the Stage 3 form and heard nothing since then. I dunno how this system works. A little more clarity or an occasional update would be nice.

what's a good reference if you haven't worked in a while and the head of course of your college isn't there anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Got hr email but I'm no longer interested in the positions. Will someone be bumped up the list to take my place?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

I was just inside the top 100 for HR, did the Stage 3 form and heard nothing since then. I dunno how this system works. A little more clarity or an occasional update would be nice.

Same here for me, but well inside top 100. Have Masters, CIPD & work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 evelyn23

anbodhran wrote: »
    Same here for me, but well inside top 100. Have Masters, CIPD & work experience.

Me too, its such a pain just waiting.

I wonder does this mean that a lot of the top 100 that completed stage 3 are not suitable? Or it may mean there are more jobs than first thought?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Got hr email but I'm no longer interested in the positions. Will someone be bumped up the list to take my place?

Not sure. But it can't do any harm to reply to say you are no longer interested. Someone else might get a chance at it !

Advertisement