Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planet Earth

• 06-03-2006 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Did anyone see this tonight on BBC1 at 9? Absolutely spectactular program. The photography was astounding and gave a fantastic view of animal behaviour. The parts I particularly was the wild dogs hunting the antelope(it was so well calculated and executed) and the great white jumping out of the water to catch the seal (my jaw dropped when i saw that, incredible stuff).

really can't wait to see this next week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I caught the last 10 minutes of it with the dog hunt, but was it just me or did they not actually film the dogs catching the antelope. I saw them chasing an antelope, I then saw them eating an antelope, and then I heard Attenborough calling it a "complete" hunt. Not in my eyes anyway, unless I missed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hoping there'd be a thread on this...my BBC1 was sh*t last night, but I still sat through the whole hour.
    The shark v seal thing slowed down was excellent...wild dog chase too...in fact I can't think of any moment in the 50 minutes that I didn't enjoy.
    that helegimbal camera is a high definition capture system so hopefully this will be released as a next gen HD DVD.
    Attenborough's shows are always outstanding, but they always seem to outdo each other; I guess it;s the advancements in technology over the years

For anyone who missed it, this is repeated on BBC2 at 6.30pm next sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Fantastic show ;cost €25m to make the series and looks every penny.
    Kudo's to BBC for making such marvellous programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, I'm sure there's another thread on this some where. It was shot on HD, and took 3+ years to make. Looks good. Looking forward to seeing the HD version...... God knows when it'll transmit, but I can catch it in work. I think they've sold it to Discovery, or National Geographical, or both. Or it may have been a co-production.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Ditto. I'm gonna make all my kids sit through it... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Tonights one is pretty damn good... Some spectacular shots of the earths mountain ranges... and of animals running up and down them effortlessly is .. crazy...
    excellent stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

any plans on this being repeated does anyone know. i have forgotten it 2 weeks in a row now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

It was brilliant tonight...repeated next Sat on BBC2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Makes you really want to get out and see the world, climb those mountain. Damn that job as a cameraman must be tough lugging around all that gear, how rewarding it must be though, i'd enjoy that though as a job, damn sight better than anything i'm doing now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

I love the bit at the end where they show you how they got the footage. Amazing! The lengths they went to so that we could see those shots of the snow leopard...

I agree with you Takeshi! It makes me want to see places like that. I hope it makes people realise that the world doesn't revolve around Costa Del Whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

sanncoo wrote:
    I agree with you Takeshi! It makes me want to see places like that. I hope it makes people realise that the world doesn't revolve around Costa Del Whatever...

I plan on taking a trip to the Andes next year for some Mountaineering, that programme scared the ****e out of me! Absolutely amazing though.. The part where they showed a speeded up sunset-night-sunrise from Everest was the best, ya don't get stars like that in Dub-a-lin! Also those snow leapords are agile fúckers aren't they!

Was last weeks the first episode? I missed that one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭gorm

spectactuar photography. Watched it with the kids on our projector system. Aerial shots would almost give you motion sickness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

How long has this been on for guys? I only caught the Pole to Pole one and am looking forward to more.

episode 2 was on last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Deserts next week.

Caves was very good.
    they had to spend 10 days underground to get one shot. amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

In my opinion that last episode was by far the most impressive of the lot so far. The shots of the last cave with the "Chandelier Ballroom" was amazing.

when is this being released on dvd

and will it be released on Blueray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

DVD sales sites are saying december so I reckon BD or HD DVD release is on the cards.

Advertisement