Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SPSV test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 David John Drum

Reason for enquiring; 2 nd. part is local knowledge , you need this for Dispatcher's Licence.In our case ( county Tipperary ) it seems like you have to have local knowledge down to street level from Clonmel to Nenagh (see new official manual sample questions ).Must be worse in places like county Kerry or Cork. You need knowledge of places you will never visit.Is the regulator trying to close offices ? Will it result in one man operators prowling the streets in taxis ? The start of the end of hackneys. Another point after reading the high earning drivers in Dublin, not the same down here and the tax man knows your annual mileage from the N.C.T. cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Reason for enquiring; 2 nd. part is local knowledge , you need this for Dispatcher's Licence.In our case ( county Tipperary ) it seems like you have to have local knowledge down to street level from Clonmel to Nenagh (see new official manual sample questions ).Must be worse in places like county Kerry or Cork. You need knowledge of places you will never visit.Is the regulator trying to close offices ? Will it result in one man operators prowling the streets in taxis ? The start of the end of hackneys. Another point after reading the high earning drivers in Dublin, not the same down here and the tax man knows your annual mileage from the N.C.T. cert.

High earning drivers in Dublin? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

When current spsv drivers are renewing there driving licence do they have to sit the knowledge test?

*spsv driving licence

Think you left out Dublin there when you said "must be worse in places like Kerry and Cork"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

mark2000ie wrote: »
    When current spsv drivers are renewing there driving licence do they have to sit the knowledge test?

No

why would you have to have obtain the knowledge if you have a spsv licence for last 16 years, you dont need to do the knowledge part of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14 David John Drum

For dispatch operators licence

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Only said Kerry and Cork because of the vast distance from one side of county to other side, and you are hardly likely to go to some of these other towns.I am trying to find out how much knowledge you will need. Read the manual and according to the sample questions you would need to know streets in Clonmel and Nenagh and they must be over 50 miles apart, and there are a lot of towns in between. I did ask Taxi Reg. and they said if your licence says Tipperary that means the whole county. Do not fancy riding a moped with a clipboard over that area to obtain knowledge. Before anyone wants to give advice I have held a spsv for 16 years.

I live in clonmel and i failed the test last week. Was only asked 3 questions about clonmel, the rest were about street names in towns 20 - 80 kms away. I honestly dont think any hackney driver needs to know this tripe as 98% of our business is local.

I think some of the bigger countys need to be split. North/south tipp for example. If tipperary is big enough to merit two county councils then i think its big enough for this test to be split.

David John Drum, i'd say the easiest thing to do is visit all of the towns websites, and take note of the streetnames of everything u can find on the site: schools, sportsclubs, hotels, etc. There's a list in the book showing what type of streets u need to learn.

I'm going to start making a list town by town tomorrow, I can PM you the lists as i make them if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Howyadoing

Iam doing the test this Wed for Dublin area, anyone any tips for me ! ( I mean as in what comes up and not as in dont get into the industry!!) :)

so how did you do on your test today mark.
    Hope u had better luck than me;)

• Advertisement

Howyadoing wrote: »
    so how did you do on your test today mark.
    Hope u had better luck than me;)

Passed the first part, failed the 2nd, thought I did ok on second but obviously not!! Will send a mail off now to see what my % was. A lot of tricky catch you out questions ok. They must be minting it in :). I drove a taxi in Dublin from 1995 - 2000 and previous to that drove a delivery truck around Dublin and outskirts for 15 years so would know it pretty well. Just as well current taxi drivers dont have to sit it as I would say 80% would fail.

Passed the first part, failed the 2nd, thought I did ok on second but obviously not!! Will send a mail off now to see what my % was. A lot of tricky catch you out questions ok. They must be minting it in :). I drove a taxi in Dublin from 1995 - 2000 and previous to that drove a delivery truck around Dublin and outskirts for 15 years so would know it pretty well. Just as well current taxi drivers dont have to sit it as I would say 80% would fail.

at least 80%.. so are u going to sit it again soon and what questions do u
    think got u. i was **** at the ones where they ask about a one way street adjoing 2 other streets. why do they have to make it so hard when 99% of taxi drivers use sat navs anyway. if they just made it a bit more about common sense it would serve a lot better. then again it is only a money making racket.:confused:

think got u. i was **** at the ones where they ask about a one way street adjoing 2 other streets. why do they have to make it so hard when 99% of taxi drivers use sat navs anyway. if they just made it a bit more about common sense it would serve a lot better. then again it is only a money making racket.:confused:

Three I got wrong were 1. embassy 2. roads linked between one way st ( up around mount st) 3. what areas are linked between this rd. Rest I thought were all right!!
    Ye I will apply again, probably do it in August as am in no major hurry. Will be getting layed off around Nov ( just in time for Xmas !! )

Howyadoing, Does it take long to get your results after you send the request for them?

Have you got a date for your third test yet?
    Hope we dont run out of money ( 80 euro's) before they run out of questions!! :):eek:

I would like to here from anyone else who has sat the spsv test for Dublin we could maybe help each other out with questions.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You mean like the psvtraining centres were doing previously, then as long as you learn enough questions off pat you need not know or have even driven a single street in Dublin. That's one of the things the public and licensed drivers are complaining about.....sad but true

Spook. If that is what the licensed drivers are complaining about now should they not want all current drivers to have to sit this new test so it will weed out all the drivers that previously just learned the questions off !
    "You mean like the psvtraining centres were doing previously, then as long as you learn enough questions off pat you need not know or have even driven a single street in Dublin. That's one of the things the public and licensed drivers are complaining about.....sad but true" __________________
    I did the old test in 1995 without learning any questions off and passed no problem. My present knowledge of Dublin would be far higher then it was then ( drove taxi for 5 years since doing old test in 1995) and failed the second part of this test be it only by 2% but syill have to keep doing it again till I get 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kajo

I did the old test in 1995 without learning any questions off and passed no problem. My present knowledge of Dublin would be far higher then it was then ( drove taxi for 5 years since doing old test in 1995) and failed the second part of this test be it only by 2% but syill have to keep doing it again till I get 80%

Why do you need to do the test if you did it before? please don't tell us you did not renew your licence... that would be a sad reason :)

By the way we did our test and passed why would we need to do it again? Maybe all drivers should do the driving test again... why not keep the money flowing into government :)
    No need to be grumpy because you failed the test .. dont take it out on us i am sure if you keep trying you will get it after all how can you fail?.
    I think they should have a limit on the amount of times you can sit the test for new taxi drivers... 3 attempts and you are blocked for wasting time or maybe frist attempt 500 euro 2nd attempt 1000 euro and 3 attempt 1500 and after that you get a block for 5 years :) sounds fair?

psvtraining centres are most of the cause of what you see now with the sat navs.
    its not a test ...psvtraining centres give you the questions on 1 page and the answers on the back of it.
    Its about time psvtraining centres were closed down they have done enough damage to this industry and we will suffer for it for a lot more years.

kajo wrote: »
    Why do you need to do the test if you did it before? please don't tell us you did not renew your licence... that would be a sad reason :)

By the way we did our test and passed why would we need to do it again? Maybe all drivers should do the driving test again... why not keep the money flowing into government :)
    No need to be grumpy because you failed the test .. dont take it out on us i am sure if you keep trying you will get it after all how can you fail?.
    I think they should have a limit on the amount of times you can sit the test for new taxi drivers... 3 attempts and you are blocked for wasting time or maybe frist attempt 500 euro 2nd attempt 1000 euro and 3 attempt 1500 and after that you get a block for 5 years :) sounds fair?

psvtraining centres are most of the cause of what you see now with the sat navs.
    its not a test ...psvtraining centres give you the questions on 1 page and the answers on the back of it.
    Its about time psvtraining centres were closed down they have done enough damage to this industry and we will suffer for it for a lot more years.

Iam not a bit grumpy over failing the test. I dont have a problem with the test being harder then the one you did and am confident I will pass it next time.
    You are contradicting yourself when you said that "we did out test and passed it " and then saying "psvtraining centres give you the questions on 1 page and the answers on the back of it" That is the way a llot of current drivers got there test ( Iam not saying you or all drivers got it that way).
    Do you not think it would weed out all the drivers that got there licences this way if they had to sit the new test ( free of charge of course) I am sure you and a lot of other drivers would have no problem passing it :)

:eek:

:eek: Hope the regulator doesnt go with your idea of "frist attempt 500 euro 2nd attempt 1000 euro and 3 attempt 1500 " if I dont pass it till my third atempt it will cost me my first weeks earnings driving a taxi.:)

Before you get on your soap box Iam joking bout that !;)

• Advertisement

Me thinks you and ur mate are in for a bit of a shock :D by the way my test was much harder than that new one.... no click click yes or no answers... no psv training scams to help pass the test in my day.
    From what i hear about the new one you just have to pick the right answer.

Did ya even buy the new psv manual? anyway i am sure you will get there in the end and you will become a moan like all the rest. :P

Dont forget to come back and tell us when you start driving the taxi how good it is.... it will be real nice to hear about all that money you earn while you are parked for 3 hours @ a time.

By the way we have a new taxi forum the addy is in my profile if ya take a look ... we have a few of the old dogs who may help you... or even better warn you about the road ahead.
    Funny thing its called the spar shop... dunno why ha ha

Me thinks you and ur mate are in for a bit of a shock :D by the way my test was much harder than that new one.... no click click yes or no answers... no psv training scams to help pass the test in my day.
    From what i hear about the new one you just have to pick the right answer.

Did ya even buy the new psv manual? anyway i am sure you will get there in the end and you will become a moan like all the rest. :P

Dont forget to come back and tell us when you start driving the taxi how good it is.... it will be real nice to hear about all that money you earn while you are parked for 3 hours @ a time.

By the way we have a new taxi forum the addy is in my profile if ya take a look ... we have a few of the old dogs who may help you... or even better warn you about the road ahead.
    Funny thing its called the spar shop... dunno why ha ha

Cheers kajo:) I thought the psv training scams were the scams that were around for the last test. Didnt know there was one for the new test ( I wont ask what this scam is as would prefare to pass it of my own bat like i passed the old one same as you:))
    I see your posing at 5.38am was it a good night ladt night !! I am just heading to work, wont be doing that for much longer:(
    Ye I had a look at the SPAR site last night, congrats on it some nteresting reading and enjoyed the videos especially the first one, brought back some good and bad memories of when I drove.
    Hope the 3 hours you do be parked sometimes is not outside the spar shop!!!;)

Cheers kajo:) I thought the psv training scams were the scams that were around for the last test. Didnt know there was one for the new test ( I wont ask what this scam is as would prefare to pass it of my own bat like i passed the old one same as you:))
    I see your posing at 5.38am was it a good night ladt night !! I am just heading to work, wont be doing that for much longer:(
    Ye I had a look at the SPAR site last night, congrats on it some nteresting reading and enjoyed the videos especially the first one, brought back some good and bad memories of when I drove.
    Hope the 3 hours you do be parked sometimes is not outside the spar shop!!!;)

posting not posing ( typo)

Good to see you are in the right frame of mind keeping your eye on the time ... expect to do a lot of that.
    What kind of car are you thinking of using to get rich in this well paid industry of ours?
    The reason i ask is because fuel costs and the constant search for punters is now a very important factor and do you have a special plan to get on taxi ranks without getting bust by the cops? All very important stuff ya know. :D

Good to see you are in the right frame of mind keeping your eye on the time ... expect to do a lot of that.
    What kind of car are you thinking of using to get rich in this well paid industry of ours?
    The reason i ask is because fuel costs and the constant search for punters is now a very important factor and do you have a special plan to get on taxi ranks without getting bust by the cops? All very important stuff ya know. :D

Who said anything about getting rich !!! Not expecting that unless I win the lotto :)
    Maybe I will follow you and see how you do it !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robbie111

I would like to here from anyone else who has sat the spsv test for Dublin we could maybe help each other out with questions.:D

Hi All, I jusy found this site today when googling for SPSV test. I have done it twice and failed both times:mad:. I would be interested in what you are saying howyadoing if you want we can pm our questions to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 11 goodimpra

I'm going sit this exam tomorrow 1pm. any tips please pm me. many thanks.

Just failed the test in Clonmel on County Tipperary local knowledge today. Will not resit as I think it a waste of time and money in my case.My gripe would be; why should I have to resit both parts after failing only one ? Also , why should I need to sit the local knowledge for the Dispatch Operator's licence when some questions were on places in towns 50 miles apart that we never visit ? I feel that a lot of offices will be forced to close just before xmas resulting in chaos. Customers will need to carry 10 phone numbers not just one to get a cab. Hardly progress for the customer.

Yep I agree, why have to sit both parts again when they are being individually marked. Would be different if you had to get 80% in total over both sections, but as they are split they are two different tests and once you pass one you should not have to sit it again. I know someone that passed the second part and failed the first by 1.something %. He sat it again and passed the first well but failed the second part !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

looks like the regulator is making a killing out of you guys LOL

• Advertisement

blahblah06 wrote: »
    looks like the regulator is making a killing out of you guys LOL

Dont speak to soon blahblah06 might not be to long down the road before she will be making a killing out of you having to sit this new test !! then again SHE already is making a killing by deregulation isnt she? ! :rolleyes:

Advertisement