Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selecting a WordPress theme

• 17-09-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi All,

First time posting here...

I'm setting up a community site on WordPress. I've used a few themes before, know the ropes in general and I know that WP will do what I want functionally speaking, but I'm not an expert.

I would like to know if, from an expert's point of view, there are any key points to consider in selecting a WordPress theme?

From a novices point of view I'd assume just check the ratings, reviews, designer responses, support, etc... on ThemeForest and make a rough judgment on the quality of the theme.

What else would you look out for?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

A lot will depend on your skill level.
    If you find a theme that has the functions you want built in and it never breaks during a WordPress update, that is all you need.
    Unfortunately the more functions that are built into the theme the more restrictive and prone to plugin conflicts it can be.
    Also, built in theme functions tend to tie you to that theme or themes by the same author. Where as a theme without the functions you want means you have to find suitable plugins, but you then have the advantage you can then change the theme when ever you want without worrying about functions disappearing or the layout changing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm far from an expert but have bought a few and found that many of them take a hell of a lot of work to look as good as the do in the demo, so consider what content you do have and how it will look. I'd ignore reviews TBH, Envato have a generous affiliate program that means almost everything they sell gets good reviews around the internet. Read the comments instead, most are from buyers - see what issues are there and how quickly they are resolved. Check the demo on a few screens, mobile and desktop. Have a look at some live sites using the theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

i purchased a theme from Envato and it looked exactly like the demo. uxthemes i think it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

More complex themes will need to be regularly maintained and if they aren't you could have issues with upgrades of Wordpress

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

bmm wrote: »
    i purchased a theme from Envato and it looked exactly like the demo. uxthemes i think it was called.

Sure, if you install all of the demo content. But what if you just have a blog with no products, pages or custom post types etc.? You'll just see a pretty bare screen. That was my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Download a theme that is updated regularly. Security is also key - but you can buy or get free plugins. I have only built one WP site so far for a mate. I used FoundationPress.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Stamply wrote: »
    From a novices point of view I'd assume just check the ratings, reviews, designer responses, support, etc... on ThemeForest and make a rough judgment on the quality of the theme.

What else would you look out for?

You have most of the things to watch for:
    • Avoid themes with unnecessary plugins.
    • Check the comments.
    • Check the support questions and view the theme authors support forums if you can.
    • Check the response times on comments/support.
    • Check the number of sales (a low-selling theme is less likely to be updated).
    • Check the maturity of the theme (or prepare to be a beta-tester if you're choosing a new theme).
    • Check previous theme updates. How often, what got updated?
    • Ignore the baubles and tinsel, do you really need a bar that animates to show 78% of anything?
    • Test the demo, is it slow?
    • Find real sites using the theme, how do they look/perform?
    • Consider any extraordinary requirements you may have? If your site is 12,000 posts be prepared for the theme to perform very differently.
    • Avoid the giga/mega 29 million options in 1 themes. They have so many options you might as well write your own theme.
    • If your design skills are limited, pick a theme that requires the minimum amount of customisation.
    • Try and picture the theme with your own text/images/menus. A site full of demo content will probably look very different to the same site with your content.
    • Don't expect massive amount of support from the theme author. You're paying $60, you're unlikely to get 24/7 unlimited support included.

Even if you do all of the above, be open to the possibility that the theme will not work out for you. Be prepared to kiss your $60 goodbye as you go looking for theme number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

red_bairn wrote: »
    Download a theme that is updated regularly. Security is also key - but you can buy or get free plugins. I have only built one WP site so far for a mate. I used FoundationPress.

I agree, download a theme that has regular updates by the developers. This will all help with regards to site maintenance and plugins updates etc and any bug issues that arise. Also read the comments from other people who have bought the theme - a good source of feedback about the theme. Personally speaking, I always download a theme that has demo content with it. It makes it much easier to understand the theme at first and then to populate it with your own content.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stamply

Thanks a million for all the great responses, really appreciate it... Will have to go through them all in detail before picking the theme :-)

K Rgds,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moon1

Avoi templates with lots of java scripts, css, etc. Find a simple yet decent and nice template.

• Advertisement
Advertisement