Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School Lunch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

When I started secondary school we had sandwich toasters in the lunchroom (you can imagine the queues, and races to get there first before the crowds of 200+ :D), nearly every day for 3 years I had 1 toasted cheese sandwich at the small break, and 2 at the big break. Made them myself too, the parents wouldn't make them right or might cut them in half or anything :rolleyes:. 6 slices of Brennan's bread, about half a packet of Dubliner cheddar and Kerrygold butter, made them the best years of my life.:D Still eating them to this day! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

bbam wrote: »
    The burger needs to be added to your list of crap.
    It is not a suitable lunch for a child and it also gives the message that fast food five days a week is ok.
    If you feed kids fast food five days a week they will be addicted to it and continue this pattern on through life. It will kill them and cost the rest of us a fortune before they die. Anyone who underestates the timebomb that is child obesity is an idiot. In a few short years our healtservices will be jammed with overweight kids with diabetes high blood pressure and god knows what else.
    We seriously need a "fat tax" on fast food. It should never be a regular part of a childs diet. We used to snigger at America for its obesity problems, now who's laughing!

Why not tax all non healthy foods ? Why are you pointing the finger at fast foods only when its only part of the problem and not the problem in itself ?

Of course its not healthy eating burgers five days a week but even without burgers the majority of people wouldnt eat what would be considered a healthy diet. Taxing fast food is all well and good in that it feels like something is being done but it doesnt solve anything. Its like your typical FG/Labour "lets get some cash" ideas. Good for a little extra revenue but pretty pointless in actually doing anything to fix the problems. Just pushes people to the next option which in all likelihood isnt going to be considered healthy in itself either.

This is all a bit over the top in terms of blaming the food, I was brought up on burgers, chips, frozen pizzas and all manner of other unhealthy stuff. I'm not obese nor are any siblings or friends who were brought up on the same. The reason kids today are getting fatter isnt because they are eating burgers its because they can afford to eat burgers along with everything else. Blaming the food is a tad stupid I think and upping the tax on a big mac wont stop a kid buying one.

If you are gonna tax it then it should apply to every single unhealthy food and the money generated needs to be pumped into education to try and inform people better about health and diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

Confab wrote: »
    But 200g of Digestives have over 900 calories as well. That's not even half a packet.

who has that many biscuits for lunch lol good point tho

• Registered Users Posts: 32 power123

apple , banana , water at small break
    ham & cheese sandwich + chocolate bar + water at big break
    went to chipper at big break every friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Sky King wrote: »
    Allowing your kids to eat sh!te like that every day is nothing short of child abuse.

I want to a very disadvantaged school in the early 90's. You want to see some of the lunches... a packet of biscuits... or plain bread and butter... or nothing.

I had sambos. They were grand.

This is what the very disadvantaged kids get these days. Kinda wanna send my kids to a disadvantaged school so they get this awesome free lunch...
    Probiotic Yoghurt Drink

Organic Rice Cakes

Cheese Strings (cheddar cheese)

Raisins

Plain Scone with dairy spread

Fruit Scone with dairy spread

Jacobs Crackers & Soft Cheese

Petit Filous

Bag of sliced Apple & Grape

Pack of Seedless Grapes

Cherry Tomatoes

Oats & Honey Cereal Bar

Apple & Cinnamon Cereal Bar

Muller Fruit Corner

Yoplait Frube

Bread Sticks & Cheese Dip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

bovril sandwich, a bar and may a biscuit or two, the lunch of champions

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Always got sambos.. Cornbeef, billyroll, cheese, ham, chicken or sometimes just buttered bread and a package-a-crips :D

Always got a piece of fruit and a snack bar too..

On Fridays my Dad would always buy me a Dairymilk and a packet of Winegums :)

I remember when I was in my early years of school (Junior/Senior Infants) my Mother would pack me a flask of tay :p was always cold come lunch time but I still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Chun Li

Wheetabix with butter and jam, I was a strange kid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm sensing a lot of food snobbery here. I was reared on school lunches of sandwiches (white plastic bread and chocolate spread - to the despair of my parents, I was one of those picky kids who turned their noses up at real food like brown bread, ham, cheese, etc.) and flasks of sweet instant coffee.
    I'm in my late 30s now, I'm not morbidly obese or diabetic - largely because my eating habits improved as I grew older, not because my parents/teachers/tutting busybodies on the 1980s equivalent of boards.ie forced me.

tl;dr: Kids will eat what they want; most of them will turn out okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

For the whole of primary school I had brown bread sambos with either ham, corn beef, tomato roll or jam. The would ALWAYS taste like orange peel because my mam always packed two mandarins with the sambos without wrapping them separate- and she made them the night before so the flavour would be well soaked in! Yick.
    I also used to be on some sort of dawn dairys program where we got a little carton of yogurt milk stuff - I hated it.
    I pretty much ate nothing for the whole day until I was old enough to make the lunch myself - as I just couldn't stomach any of it and I'd just fling everything in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Primary school: Jam sandwiches/banana, milk and some biscuits.
    Secondary school: Can of coke and half on a box of smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

we had does old style desk with an open drawer in primary school. the amount of green fungi looking sandwiches that would appear after a while wasnt a site to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Okay so this makes me sound ancient but, when I started National School in Donegal, school lunches consisted of plastic buckets of rapidly cooling cheap cocoa loaded with sugar, brought an 8 minute walk from the house where it was made (by 2 students:rolleyes:) and dispensed to our plastic mugs with a ladle A beverage that I can only describe as vile! Accompanied by a hard, sweet, currant bun that could only be broken into by soaking it in the afore-mentioned cold, foul brew!!:eek::eek::eek: There was no escaping it either, teacher never left the room, every last drop had to be consumed.

My mother having been informed lunch was supplied presumed we were sorted in that Department and so for several years lunch was a traumatic recurring event in my life........unsurprisingly, I often skip the whole thing to this day, just ignore it!! Amazing the stuff we carry from our childhood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

Secondary school (90s) we had a canteen.. Vera's greasy chips, drifters, postman pats, bikers, frosties, refresher bars.. Anything bought in there was a potential missile :D

Primary school we'd run down to the shop through the church car park for 10p bags and blackjacks to go with the jam sambos.. Vividly remember another boy having his daily 2p piece for pocket money.. 80s

CBS/Boyne Community???

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Okay so this makes me sound ancient but, when I started National School in Donegal, school lunches consisted of plastic buckets of rapidly cooling cheap cocoa loaded with sugar, brought an 8 minute walk from the house where it was made (by 2 students:rolleyes:) and dispensed to our plastic mugs with a ladle A beverage that I can only describe as vile! Accompanied by a hard, sweet, currant bun that could only be broken into by soaking it in the afore-mentioned cold, foul brew!!:eek::eek::eek: There was no escaping it either, teacher never left the room, every last drop had to be consumed.

My mother having been informed lunch was supplied presumed we were sorted in that Department and so for several years lunch was a traumatic recurring event in my life........unsurprisingly, I often skip the whole thing to this day, just ignore it!! Amazing the stuff we carry from our childhood!!
    Thats rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

me m wrote: »
    we had does old style desk with an open drawer in primary school. the amount of green fungi looking sandwiches that would appear after a while wasnt a site to behold.

I was that soldier, brown bread and jam wrapped in the sliced pan wrapper and a bottle of diluted orange. Hated the sambos, so they ended up stuffed in that open drawer, not even enough room for my books covered in Daktari wallpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Lunchen Blaa's or ham sandwiches, and always with a damn penguin bar, can't eat penguin bar's anymore :)

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Thats rough.

You have no idea!! What I wouldn't have given for a soggy tomato sandwich!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Thick boiled ham sangagez and a glass bottle of blackcurrent Kia-ora with a piece of brown paper under the cap to stop it leaking.

Satts wrote: »
    Thick boiled ham sangagez and a glass bottle of blackcurrent Kia-ora with a piece of brown paper under the cap to stop it leaking.

You lucky, lucky barstad!!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    A pack of digestives has nearly 2000 calories. I'll wager that choc chip has even more.

Nothing, nothing, beats a red lead blaa with lashings of proper butter. Eta: or Meanies. A Meanie blaa is epic.

I used to get a sandwich (usually ham and cheese), yoghurt, and a banana/apple. Occasionally I'd have a boiled egg. You wouldn't believe the stick you get for bringing a boiled egg to school; like it was somehow bizarre and deviant.
    What do you mean " like it was somehow bizarre and deviant". It is and you deserved every bit of stick you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Pandora2 wrote: »
    You lucky, lucky barstad!!

Didn't feel lucky at the time, took the whole break time to chew the f**k'in things.

Didn't feel lucky at the time, took the whole break time to chew the f**k'in things.

Chew you say! I had to suck on that bloody currant bun for the whole 30 minutes.....It was akin to sucking on a stone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    What do you mean " like it was somehow bizarre and deviant". It is and you deserved every bit of stick you got.
    Ah, come on, it was only a boiled egg, it's not like I was eating balut (warning: seriously gross).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭klose

An Apple and small choclate bar or few jaffa cakes for break then 2 ham sandwiches cut in half, yeah no triangle here, for lunch. And a 2litre of water w/sports cap for added dead-li-ness to keep me going through them leaving cert days..

The odd time i would treat meself to a superquinn role at luch though.

And always a lap of the town to have a gander at the fine ones from the loreto who where always, conviniently for us, on luch at that time aswell

Great times :cool:

kylith wrote: »
    Ah, come on, it was only a boiled egg, it's not like I was eating balut (warning: seriously gross).

Been there, done that!! :eek: In the shell, boiled and given to me by a great Aunt who got her dates wrong............(feeling sick at the memory:P) 'Tis no bloody wonder I have food issues!!

Only got halfway through and well, shall we say it wasn't pretty:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Reiketsu wrote: »
    So many corned beef sandwiches, class haha..
    Bring back "real" corned beef thats what i say. Ever since this thread ive had such a craving but i know its just not going to be the same.Ive tried..and failed numerous times to find the thick,non fatty, proper slices of it.

No nostalgic bull, it really was much better...waaaay back then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

anniehoo wrote: »
    Bring back "real" corned beef thats what i say. Ever since this thread ive had such a craving but i know its just not going to be the same.Ive tried..and failed numerous times to find the thick,non fatty, proper slices of it.

No nostalgic bull, it really was much better...waaaay back then :D

Ask in a deli, they slice it from a big slab so would cut ya a few thickuns if ya asked. I like to throw a few lumps into mashed spuds, it be's only grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

That packet corned beef is rank, half the stuff is little see-through blobs of fat, if you hold up a slice you can nearly see through it it's that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Ham sandwiches. White bread, butter, nothing else. From first class in national school up until doing the Leaving. Only thing that changed is the drink that went with it. Capri Sun (Tropical preferably) in national and a half litre bottle of mineral in secondary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement