Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Friday, March 20th, 2015

Trainer

I had to put out a few extra fires at work today, so this was a shortened sneaky lunchtime spin.

Actual trainer: 45 minutes on the Cat

I had planned on a swim and some core work this evening, but to be honest, I'm tired and slightly achy - which could mean the body is trying to come down with something. :( And since I've received so many friendly reminders that I need to not stress my body...that I need to heal...and that I'm not supposed to be "training" right now, I made the bold decision to take the night off from all things more strenuous than hopping into bed. Lights out, peeps...this Dory needs some sleep!

Saturday, March 21st, 2015

10 hours of sleep last night. :eek: I had no idea how exhausted I was. Wow. And, the benefit of that sleep is that today was a pretty darned good day! :)

Trainer

This was 90 minutes of low resistance spinning on the Cat while I multitasked by eating my lunch consisting of a peanut butter sandwich and a container of yogurt. I had the Green Day station on Pandora raging over the speakers (got the house all to myself today!!!), so this was also a bit of a psych-me-up-and-get-me-excited-about-real-training-to-come session.

Actual trainer: 90 minutes easy and gentle to not do harm to the leg on the Cat

It was so frickin' gorgeous outside today - sunshiny and warm (70 degrees F, 20 degrees C) - so I decided to change into shorts and a tank top, and I dragged my yoga mat, BOSU ball, medicine ball, music, and my bum leg outside for a little work on my core and a dose of Vitamin D for my bones. What a fantastic idea!! I spent over an hour in the sun stretching, crunching, moving, singing, dancing :o, relaxing, enjoying, smiling, thinking about summer, feeling like I was 16....

:D

You get the idea.

Swim

@ 1:24/100 yards - 30 minutes warmup
    @ 1:17/100 yards - 2 x (3 x 200, 1 x 400) with 15-20 seconds rest between sets and intervals
    @ 1:24/100 yards - 10 minutes cool down

With my brand new goggles strapped around my head, and my submerged pace clock below me, I was eager to give this little session a try. Because I know 1:20 is a manageable pace for 30 minutes, and because I know 1:15 can be a bit of a push for 100 yards, I decided 1:17 would be an acceptable pace for 200s....and it was fine. Truth be told, it was a little easy for the first set...but got a little harder for the second set. I wondered while I was swimming how accurate the calibration is - I imagine there's some error - but I also reflected back on my paces from last summer and I suppose it's not off by too, too much. Next time I do this session I'll either add another 200/400 set, and/or up the pace to 1:16 and see how that goes.

Actual swim: ~4,369 meters in the tub

Sunday, March 22nd, 2015

Trainer

90 minutes of easy spinning on the Cat. I'm trying to stay in "the" position during these spins - figure there is value in getting the body used to the bend and lean and all that other stuff that is required while on the tt bike.

Actual trainer: 90 minutes of low resistance/high cadence on the Cat

Swim

15 minutes @ 1:24/100 yards warmup
    5 x 100 yards @ 1:15
    4 x 100 yards @ 1:14
    3 x 100 yards @ 1:13
    2 x 100 yards @ 1:12
    1 x 100 yards @ 1:11
    15 minutes @ 1:20/100 yards cool down

A bit of a shorter session, but I decided to do a smidge of speed work. I allowed myself 15 seconds rest between intervals, and 30 to 60 seconds rest between sets. The 100s were pretty manageable until I got to the last three - at that point the wave got things rockin' and it was a battle with the current at times. I also got behind some, but I kept my stroke controlled, upped my kick, and clawed my way back.

Actual swim: ~~3,326 meters in the tub

Monday, March 23rd, 2015

Trainer

It was me, the Black Cat and Kurt Cobain. Best lunchtime threesome I've had in a long time.

Actual trainer: 60 minutes of low resistance/high cadence work

Swim

There was some delicious sunshine pouring into the garage this evening, so I grabbed my yoga mat and medicine ball and did some quickie core work before I hopped in the pool.

I had intended on keeping this swim very low key, so I did a n-i-c-e 30 minutes at 1:24/100 yards with the pull buoy. I then had the bright idea to finish this short splash with 15 minutes of breast stroke. But...ummm....what the %$#@ was I thinking?? First of all, I am not a breast stroker. I have never been a breast stroker. I enjoy tossing in a length or two of breast stroke at reasonable intervals when I am swimming in a proper pool just to break up the monotony and to give my shoulders a break....but to swim breast stroke continuously for 15 minutes in a tub with a wave coming at me and no walls to push off and glide was one of my dumber ideas (and I've had a few dumb ideas - cue the mayo-eggs-olive oil soufflé hair treatment under plastic wrap while running around my field in full sun last summer!). I made it just over 5 minutes at a pace of 1:30/100 yards before I was numb from boredom.

Swim: ~2,228 meters in the tub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

There's just no stopping you :) you're a machine!!!

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    There's just no stopping you :) you're a machine!!!

Some might argue that that is not always good....especially when you have a broken femur to heal. But, I guess the next x-ray will tell me a lot. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

2 thoughts running through my head while reading this:

'Her leg is /broken/'

'I'm a wimp'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If I had a leg injury, let alone a broken leg, the last stroke I would be doing is breast stroke :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

On a much more important note - after all these years are you finally going metric :eek:

RJM85 wrote: »
    2 thoughts running through my head while reading this:

'Her leg is /broken/'

'I'm a wimp'

Apparently I don't always recognize pain properly. Or maybe I do, but just choose to ignore it. I'm honestly not sure which it is.
    MojoMaker wrote: »
    If I had a leg injury, let alone a broken leg, the last stroke I would be doing is breast stroke :eek:

Um, see above. ;)

Nah, seriously....I avoided breast stroke immediately after returning home from Ireland because I could feel something wasn't right when I'd kick, but 5 weeks after the break, the frog kick causes me no Dory-detectable pain!

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Some might argue that that is not always good....especially when you have a broken femur to heal. But, I guess the next x-ray will tell me a lot. Thanks.

I hope the next x-ray have a positive outcome, positive thinking, I know it will. I'm sure you're listening to your body, even though you have an abnormal/high pain threshold ;), you should still hear it if you'e doing more damage with all the mental training that you're doing.

You'll be famous in some to Science Journal article some day - and all the people who have broken femurs in the future will be cursing down you because their doctors will be telling them to suck it up and get out training, best way to heal it ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    On a much more important note - after all these years are you finally going metric :eek:

Oh god, why would I do that??? It is a 140.6 you know!!

(if you are referring to my pool mileage - yards to meters is easily interchangeable to me because of swimming year round in various pools of varying distances as the conversion was ingrained in my head by the age of 6. My pool wave pace is set to meters (just "because", however I can change it to meters but I choose not to), but because the SBR challenge records in meters, I convert as I post on my log. :D)

Tuesday, March 24th, 2015

Trainer

Sneaky lunchtime spin-in-place on the Cat. Got roped into a conversation with someone and I couldn't break free, which shortened this little session by a 10 minutes. Damn people who want to talk to me!! ;)

Trainer: 50 minutes of spinning

Swim

That submergible pace clock is worth its weight in gold!!!

15 minutes warmup at 1:24/100 yards
    3 x 200 yards at 1:16/100 yards
    3 x 200 yards at 1:15/100 yards
    3 x 200 yards at 1:14/100 yards
    15 minutes cool down at 1:20/100 yards

I allowed myself 15 to 20 seconds rest between intervals, and a full 90 seconds rest between sets. This was work, and the last two 200s were tough!

Actual swim: ~3,597 meters in the tub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sneaky lunchtime spin-in-place on the Cat. Got roped into a conversation with someone and I couldn't break free, which shortened this little session by a 10 minutes. Damn people who want to talk to me!! ;)

Really ? "Sorry, I have to go ride like hell for an hour on my broken leg" doesn't bring the conversation to an abrupt end ? :)

Wednesday, March 25th, 2015

Trainer

60 minutes of spinning on the Cat. I certainly wouldn't categorize this as "riding like hell," but I did get a decent sweat going. ;)

Actual trainer: 60 minutes of low resistance spinning

Tonight was all about the core. And on this evening's menu were crunches in various positions and movements, Russian twists with the medicine ball, V sits (wait for it, wait for it...), some BOSU ball action (try that Russian twist thingy on a slightly squishy rubber dome! :eek:), and a bit of kettle bell belling. Then, I dabbled in a smidge of stretching and a skosh of yoga for good measure.

Okay....I won't dwell or elaborate too much here, but I did get my bone scan results back and they don't surprise me in the least. The official verbiage in the report is "no osteoporosis but bone density is decreased from normal.....consistent with osteopenia." In a nutshell, this isn't great news, but it does help explain my fractured femur, and it is a valuable warning for me as I now have the knowledge and time to do something about this before it becomes full blown osteoporosis. I literally just got off the phone with one of my close friends who is a medical doctor in the DC area - he is keeping tabs on me and is the one who insisted I get the DEXA scan done. He called this evening to go over the scan results, and in the process of explaining and putting things into proper perspective, he relayed to me that he happened to be at a gathering of physicians two nights ago and that he shared my case and bone scan results with several of his colleagues. He told them nothing about me physically nor my athletic background, yet, according to my friend, each one of them guessed that I was thin and that I was an endurance runner. Bingo! And when my friend asked what their advice to me would be, it was unanimous that in addition to addressing calcium and Vitamin D, I also needed to have a better balance of impact (running) and non-impact sports (swimming and cycling). I found it interesting that age was not a factor in this coalition of doctors' opinion, which corroborates all the reading I have done that osteopenia and osteoporosis can hit any age, especially female athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Sorry to hear this Dory. Lucky you found out now though and can do something to address it. From my limited knowledge of osteopenia and osteoporosis, if you act sensibility about it now you may never get full blown osteoporosis.

How come we hoochies can't catch a break?! (Unfortunate choice of words I know :()

If ever you needed a reason to come back to Ireland to drink bucket loads of our super quality milk and eat shovels of our ice-cream while sitting in the sun, this is it :)

On a more serious note, its a reminder to all of us that we need to look after our scaffolding. You've caught it in time though right? You can reverse it from here. My mother was diagnosed with osteopenia three years ago and has been taking the sachets of calcium religiously and swears by a spoonful of cod liver oil every day. Thankfully she's reversed it and is in the normal range again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I also needed to have a better balance of impact (running) and non-impact sports (swimming and cycling).

I have been telling you that for as long as I know you anyways, looks like Iron rather than Ultra is the way to go long term. Perhaps AKW might look at your shoes for future running as well, I presume you have to look at some more cushioned optionsto lessen the impact.

catweazle wrote: »
    I also needed to have a better balance of impact (running) and non-impact sports (swimming and cycling).

I have been telling you that for as long as I know you anyways, looks like Iron rather than Ultra is the way to go long term. Perhaps AKW might look at your shoes for future running as well, I presume you have to look at some more cushioned optionsto lessen the impact.

And I've been telling you for a long time that you need to be my manager. !!! ;)

But, yes, Iron is the goal...however, I still have that ultra itch to scratch, and I see no reason I can't get there via Iron training. As far as shoes go, to consult AKW would be great....but, but, but I lovelovelove my adizero Boston boosts!!! :confused:

@Needy83 (and anyone else wondering) - yes, I fully expect to be fine with a few modifications. I'll certainly know more this time next week after x-ray/consult, but my doctor friend apologetically said he was glad I fractured my femur because it unearthed something that would have otherwise gone unnoticed until it was potentially too late to do anything about. Silver linings. And thanks to an early support message from a fellow boardsie with some personal experience with his wife dealing with stress fractures and low bone density (thank you, in more ways than you can know), I've been drinking my fortified full fat milk like a champ. If I start mooing, then you'll know I've achieved maximum calcium saturation. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Solobally8 wrote: »
    How come we hoochies can't catch a break?! (Unfortunate choice of words I know :()

Mother of God what are ye Iron hoochies all doing to yourselves?

Dory really sorry to hear of your issues too :(

Re the CW shoes thing I'm always here however I would be of the midset that less dependence on cushioning from footwear is actually better for you but that is a WHOLE other day's discussion.

For now... That's just sh1t news :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i think its 'good' news as now its still treatable.Glad to hear that you are in good hands of a sensible friend , Dory.
    Good luck and enjoyable trainining with sensible decisons ( by the sound of it your friend will have a tough job, when you think ultramarathon now ... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

sorry to hear the new DD, but at least you know. Mrs P got the same message a couple of years back without nearly as intensive training as yourself. At risk of repeating myself (but you do very much remind me of her)... dig back and find the Toshi video clip. "The discipline not to ...", etc, etc.

How much running do you do on asphalt, concrete as opposed to soft surfaces. I've found running on packed earth trails has made a huge difference (at least perceived difference) to the stress on my dodgy knee. Any room for adjustment there ?

One of my running buddies here pointed this out to me recently. He had heard me mention Eamon Coughlan. But it's pretty interesting in it's own right. One of the things that really stuck me was the part when they talk about the easy sessions - development of focus, rhythm. I have heard it before but this made an impact. See about 6.00-9.00 minutes in.

peter kern wrote: »
    i think its 'good' news as now its still treatable.Glad to hear that you are in good hands of a sensible friend , Dory.
    Good luck and enjoyable trainining with sensible decisons ( by the sound of it your friend will have a tough job, when you think ultramarathon now ... ;-)

That's twice you typed "sensible"....and once you included the phrase "your friend will have a tough job". :o I think you're trying to tell me something! ;)

But no worries, the ultramarathon is not the current focus. It is, however, something I plan on attempting in the future when the body is strong and ready. (Fingers crossed the body will be strong and ready for such an endeavor in the future.) Donadea is a fabulous course for so many reasons, so maybe I'll be back to finish what I started.....or there are quite a few interesting ultras in some pretty incredible places here in the states. Lots of options. But there's a little matter of an IM first. :)
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    sorry to hear the new DD, but at least you know. Mrs P got the same message a couple of years back without nearly as intensive training as yourself. At risk of repeating myself (but you do very much remind me of her)... dig back and find the Toshi video clip. "The discipline not to ...", etc, etc.

How much running do you do on asphalt, concrete as opposed to soft surfaces. I've found running on packed earth trails has made a huge difference (at least perceived difference) to the stress on my dodgy knee. Any room for adjustment there ?

One of my running buddies here pointed this out to me recently. He had heard me mention Eamon Coughlan. But it's pretty interesting in it's own right. One of the things that really stuck me was the part when they talk about the easy sessions - development of focus, rhythm. I have heard it before but this made an impact. See about 6.00-9.00 minutes in.

Fantastic 3+ minutes I watched of your video. I will definitely have a look at the entire film this weekend. Interesting stuff!

And I was running a fair bit in my grassy field, and then of course there's the tub.....but I was also putting in some healthy mileage on asphalt, so certainly something to keep in mind.

Thursday, March 26th, 2015

Trainer

60 minutes of spinning over the noon hour. I treated myself to a chocolate milk post spin, and I drank it while sitting in the sunshine soaking up nature-made Vitamin D! :D

Actual trainer: 60 minutes low resistance on the Black Cat

Swim

@ 1:24/100 yards - 15 minutes warm up
    @ 1:15/100 yards - 3 x (5 x 100 yards off 1:30), 90 seconds rest between sets
    @ 1:20/100 yards - 5 minutes easy
    @ 1:10/100 yards - 5 x 50 yards off 60 seconds
    @ 1:20/100 yards - 5 minutes easy
    @ 1:13/100 yards - 5 x 100 yards off 1:30
    @ 1:20-24/100 yards - 5 minutes cool down

I just make these up as I go. I never seem to have a concrete swim plan until I actually get swimming, and I just sort of let the session evolve.

I decided to do the first 15 100s all at 1:15 because I knew as the intervals wore on, more effort would be required to hold pace. They all were fairly comfortable.

The 5 x 50s were short and spiffy....and at a wave pace of 1:10, it's also a physical battle being tossed about in the turbulence. And at this quick pace, my kick was front and center, as was the business-like arm cadence and breathing. Of this set, my last 50 was my best.

The last set of 5 x 100 was an add-on I came up with as I was doing the 50s. I was feeling pretty strong, and I figured there might be some value in revisiting a set of 100s, but at a slightly faster pace. This set was the most challenging of the entire session, and I was huffing and puffing like a freight train in between each interval...but I kept on pace, and held the rest to 17 seconds.

I started the cool down at a pace of 1:20, but said feck that after 2 minutes and slowed it to a much more enjoyable 1:24 pace.

Actual swim: ~3,992 meters in the tub

Friday, March 27th, 2015

Total rest day today. And for those of you who aren't sure you heard me correctly, what I said was, today was a.....

Total. Rest. Day.

Saturday, March 28th, 2015

Trainer

Good god this felt awful. I was sluggish and it felt like I was pedaling through mud. Ugh. This was so bad that my crazy mind started to wonder how the hell I'm going to possibly manage 112 miles on the bike after a 2.4 mile swim, not to mention a 26.2 mile run, in a mere 7 months. :eek:

Actual trainer: 90 minutes of pure unenjoyable time on the Cat

I intended on getting a swim in this evening, but due to unexpected company who was in a chatty mood, this was scuppered. Damn people who want to talk to me! (is there an echo in the room?) ;):)

Sunday, March 29th, 2015

Swim

I don't normally do my swim in the morning, but I thought it'd be nice to get this done since I missed it last night.

@1:24/100 yards - 15 minutes warmup
    2 x (3 x 400 yards descending - 1:19, 1:17, 1:16 w/30 sec rest) w/1 minute rest between sets
    @1:24/100 yards - 5 minutes easy
    1 x 400 yards @ 1:15
    @1:24/100 yards - 5 minutes easy

This felt pretty darned good. The descending 400s were fine - could feel the effort going up on the 1:16s. The 1 x 400 @ 1:15 was work - the first 200 of this was quite manageable, but things started to pinch on the last 200 and I noticed I was starting to breathe every 2 instead of every 3, which, for me, is a true sign of effort and push.

Actual swim: ~4,127 morning meters in the tub

Trainer

Still dripping wet, I hopped on the Black Cat for some redeeming kitty love. I had prepared a lunch buffet to snack on while spinning away with The Ugly Truth on blueray. Not the greatest of movies, to be honest. But the spin was much better than yesterday's!

Actual trainer: 90 minutes on the Cat

Treated myself to a chocolate milk while catching some rays in the chilly sunshine. I may try and sneak another short, easy swim in this evening (or I may just chill on the couch instead)....which leads me to something that was brought to my attention a few days ago that I will mention here - female athlete triad syndrome. Many/most of you may already be familiar with this, I was not. But I do think it's important to be aware of if you are an active, driven, competitive woman/girl in sports, or if you know one who is, as it can lead to low bone density.

Friday, March 27th, 2015

Total rest day today. And for those of you who aren't sure you heard me correctly, what I said was, today was a.....

Total. Rest. Day.

That's serious training Dory. I always have a giggle at your rest days, they usually involve you doing squats, core work, planks or some other sort of non rest stuff :D.

Glad to see your taking a day for everything to recover and that you're doing all the right things to kick the osteopenia in the butt :) It's awful to hear that there's something wrong with you but so so great that you caught it at this stage.

Monday, March 30th, 2015

Trainer

Just an easy lunchtime spin.

Actual trainer: 60 minutes on the Cat

Swim

Just an easy evening swim.

20 minutes at 1:24/100 yards....20 minutes at 1:20/100 yards....20 minutes at 1:20/100 yards with pull buoy.

Actual swim: ~3,985 meters in the tub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Swim

Just an easy evening swim.

20 minutes at 1:24/100 yards....20 minutes at 1:20/100 yards....20 minutes at 1:20/100 yards with pull buoy.

Seriously :eek::cool:

Tuesday, March 31st, 2015

Trainer

60 minutes of sneaky lunchtime kitty love while a peanut butter sandwich was consumed and Green Day was listened to.

Actual trainer: 60 minutes on the Cat

Swim

Just a mere 30 minutes tonight....all done at 1:20/100 yards.

Actual swim: ~2,025 meters

X-ray and consult day tomorrow! And, it's also April Fool's Day - thank you, Oryx, for reminding me. :rolleyes:;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Fingers crossed that you're healing well :)

Advertisement