Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shooting question

• 21-06-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Well lads,

I'm kinda new to the sport of shooting... I have a 223cz and I just wanna know am I doing something wrong so here it goes....

I zero in my scope at 150/200 yards and it's no problem. Go out for a nights lamping and I struggle to hit a fox at 50/150 yards...? Is there anything it could be - other then amateur nerves, I mean?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Ghost.

If you can hit your target at 150/200 then there shouldnt be a problem hitting them under that with the .223. It can be difficult to judge distance at night, make sure you know the lay of the land in the area you are shooting so you have your ranges right at night. After that just take your time when taking shot and be in a comfortable shooting position. Its easy to miss when you rush a shot.

Dont be tempted to aim for headshots, aim for the center of the bib or heart and lungs side on. Other than that I cant really think of any reason you wouldnt be knocking them over at that distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Ghost said judging distances at night can be a difficult task. Most people tend to over estimate the distance at night and aim off when none is needed.

Putting nerves aside as a reason (which it may be) you said you have a CZ223. What;s the trigger like? I ask because CZ are known for having seriously heavy triggers when they come from the factory. My Thumbhole Cz was set at over 5lb. The .223 i had was over 4.5lb. Trying to exert that much pull on a a trigger and take a steady shot coupled with night shooting and a touch of nerves may be leading to any misses.

So not just one factor but many.Have you someone that could measure or check the trigger for you?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Can you go back out to where you zero it at the 150/250 and set up your targets take a few zeroing shots and wait for dark and take a few more see how you do under a known distance in the dark and compare it to your daytime results. You might not be getting your eye in to the scope properly when under the lamp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As German Pointer said, but try taking shots at your known zero distance as you would in the field, for most average shooters there's a hell of a difference in grouping size between various shooting positions. You may attain satisfactory results prone and with various aids but this may go to sh*t under field conditions. Zero your rifle under ideal conditions, but practice, practice and practice more under the same conditions that you shoot.

I don't shoot a .223 but would suspect that it would have a fairly flat trajectory to allow you to point and shoot at a fox sized target over the ranges that you speak of.
    According to manufacturers blurb at a 100 yard zero the difference in trajectory is -0.3 at 50 and -3.0 at 200 yards
    See - http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=4

On another note can you clearly make out the fox under the lamp, remember high magnification is not an aid under the lamp and there is plenty of theory out there to say that 7 x is the most that an eye can take at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Shoot rabbits with it. Do some shooting during the day get used to distances.
    Get your confidence up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Think about your placement of shots and zero too..

Im inch and a half high at 100.. zero in and around 180..

If a fox is sub 120-150 ish I give him the "high and low" option

Basically allow for the bullet to go high or low.. You can't tell the distance as well as you can by day by any means.

If a fox is facing me front on in this situation I'd aim for the neck.. high is to the head.. low to the neck .. win win..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dogcityroller

Buy a cheap rangefinder. I use one all the time while out foxing at night. Totally does away with the guess work. It'll surprise you how far away they are sometimes. My longest to date at night is 356 yards under the lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭stef22

i have the same problem and it drives me mad.
    Find it very hard to judge distance at night. Also when lamping you are under pressure to take the shot quickly as the fox will not wait for you unlike targets.

Advertisement