Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cadbury's Choc bars made under license for Mondelez

• 03-07-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I bought a Wispa multipack yesterday - 3 smallish bars for €1 at a main supermarket .... good value (so I thought). Had one last ngiht with a cup of tea - it was horrible, it did not taste of cadbury's wispa - it tasted more like a cheap sugary pretend version. I checked the label as it specifes that the product is 'made under license for Mondelez' (I google - its the new name for Kraft who aquired Cadbury's). So this reads to me that Mondelez/Kraft have outsourced the manufacuting of these bars (maybe jsut the multipacks) to a generic chocolate manufacturer.

Anyone else finding 'cheap' outsourced chocolate replacing the good old cadbuy's chocolate?? I remember reading in the media that this was predicted when Kraft bought Cadbury a few years ago ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Clionam22

Yeah your right, Kraft have been making cost reducing changes to recipes of products manufactured in the uk. There's a massive difference between uk & irish dairy milk bars. As far as I know products made here in Coolock haven't been changed-standard & 100g dairy milk bars, flake, boost, crunchy, check the label for Cadbury Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't buy any Cadbury chocolate from the likes of Dealz or the Euro shop because like the OP, I found it tasted vile and seems to be the British Cadbury's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Juran wrote: »
    - 3 smallish bars for €1 at a main supermarket.
    Which one?

I saw odd packs in dunnes cournelscourt before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had a similar experience the other night, bought a 3 pack of Double Deckers in a Centra or somewhere, bit into one and spat it out, it was just pure artificial sugar taste like cheap American chocolate, will have to check the bin when I go home to see if it was the same as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mendoza!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I bought them in a supervalue. I was in there again last night and noticed that large Dairy Milk bars have a label with 'Love Irish Food' or something like that ... and the multi-packs and the extra large bars have no label .. which I presume means they are manufactured in europe mainland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭samantha fortune

Chocolate from dealz always tastes bad and so does the coke-cola

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Juran wrote: »
    I bought them in a supervalue. I was in there again last night and noticed that large Dairy Milk bars have a label with 'Love Irish Food' or something like that ... and the multi-packs and the extra large bars have no label .. which I presume means they are manufactured in europe mainland.

I noticed that the 'Bubbly' and Double Deckers were Mondelez, in Supervalu.

The Bubbly was just.. I could have been eating pencil erasers, total lack of.. anything, with the 'chocolate', from Cadbury's.

I don't expect much from Cadbury's, but at least until recently, there was a hint of milk and chocolate. Nothing now. I'm done with them. If there is a plan to drive the brand into the dirt, they've got off to a good start with this manufactured under license lark.

[/first world chocolate issues]

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Tesco have an offer at the moment: Buy-one-get-one-free on the Cadbury pouch/bag things of different chocolate bite-size spin-offs of some of their brands.

Got one bag of Crunchie bites and one of Caramel bites over the weekend. The Crunchie ones were tasteless - they could have been made of brown wax! The small print said "Made in EU".

The Caramel ones tasted like proper Cadbury's chocolate and sure enough, the packet said they were made in Coolock.

So even similarly packaged items in the same range being sold/promoted together aren't from the same source any more!

Down with Kraft!

Wonder if the Irish operation is at risk?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We were gifted a box of milk tray yesterday. They are also made under licence now. They were VILE. Pretty much inedible. I felt so sick after them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I've also noticed recently that various chocolate bars taste different depending on whether they are bought singly, in a multi-pack, or in a variety bag. Some are much nicer than others. It really bothers me, as if you are buying Cadbury's chocolate, for example, you expect a certain quality.

(I've noticed this with certain beers, too - different if bought singly rather than in a box)

I was given a 4 pack of twirls, pretty sure from tesco. There was no "I love Irish food" on them or anything.

On the back it said made by cadbury Ireland for Cadbury trebor bassett UK.

The website & contact details etc seem like its definitely intended for the UK market. I wonder if cadbury ireland make different grades too.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

I read this thread the other day and thought that the posters were a bit mad!
    As someone that lives on cadburys... i thought it was a case of people imagination running wild...

Picked up a 4 pack of Double Deckers in Tesco Exress on Talbot st today
    They taste like absolute muck... reminds me of caffreys chocolate easter eggs from the 80s!
    I will definately be handing the remainder of the 4 pack onto an unsuspecting strager!

The small print says "Made in the EU under license from Cadbury UK Ltd"

What the hell have Mondelez done to our favourite bars!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lads just check the wrapper before you buy, if it's irish Cadburys take it if it's Mondelez buy something else. If everyone does this, they'll soon get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

As far as I can tell on the UK ones, it says Licensed under Cadbur.ys UK. The Irish ones just says the Dublin address and sometimes the UK address also but doesnt say licensed under Cadbury.s UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

They're getting rid of more bars out of Coolock from what I hear. The Irish 8 square bar and 100g are going to be the British version while Time Out is going too.

Boycott all you like. Mondelez is a multi billion dollar company and the Irish business is worth next to nothing in comparison (about 200 million euro if I'm not wrong). Kraft didn't make what they thought they would out of the deal, sales aren't growing so they're gonna cut costs wherever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

A couple of the shops here in Waterford have been selling the Cadbury's Dairy Milk 'Bar & a Half' with the old logo and the Love Irish Food logo on them. The squares of Choc are actually square too, not rounded off like the newer bars.

They are far nicer than the newer bars. I used to think my gf was imagining things but I've definitely noticed it myself now.

Anyway, my question is: if we buy up a decent few bars of these to stash away and freeze them, will they be ok? Has anyone else had experience of freezing Cadbury's? How long do they last? The Expiry Date on them is July of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Just another thing to be wary of; don't buy your Cadbury chocolate from Dealz-they're stocking the UK Cadbury's which is horrible.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Just another thing to be wary of; don't buy your Cadbury chocolate from Dealz-they're stocking the UK Cadbury's which is horrible.
    Its so bad, like aggressively bad now, its just sugar or some other sweetener and zero other taste, no hint of cocoa or milk or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I think us choc lovers will have to get used of this and buy more expensive choc from independent companies.
    This is what happens when u.s companies take over, dont care of quality only profit, got to learn we have higher standards than u.s folks when it comes to food and even junk food.

Aldi and Lidl are your friend, those Moser Roth bars are spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Thargor wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl are your friend, those Moser Roth bars are spectacular.

There's a Dark Chocolate Chilli bar that is absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

I see that Cadbury have changed their multipacks again

The bars in the Multipack Double Decker and Moro/Boost are now only 40g each! Practically fun size!

Similarly the multipack of a twirl has gone from 4 twin bars to 5 single bars

When will this madness end!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

geecee wrote: »
    I see that Cadbury have changed their multipacks again

The bars in the Multipack Double Decker and Moro/Boost are now only 40g each! Practically fun size!

Similarly the multipack of a twirl has gone from 4 twin bars to 5 single bars

When will this madness end!

The multipacks went from packs of 3 to packs of 4 though when bars got smaller. TBH I'd rather have the 4 smaller bars.

geecee wrote: »
    I saw the smaller double deckers once, but have seen the regular size bars in multipacks since then, in different shops.

one was dealz

http://www.dealz.ie/cadbury-double-decker-3-1-pack-218g

there must be 6 or 7 different sizes of mars now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Do people think that Cadbury's products were not reformulated on a regular basis before Kraft bought them?

Almost every year there'd be some change to key products.

As for products made under licence or made in Poland etc.. Its not that they are inferior or "yeuch" it's just you are used to the product you have eaten and it can take a while for taste buds to change.

Most Americans have a dislike for British or Irish Cadbury's, but love herseys. Similarly when unilever moved ice-cream production the same was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The American love of chocolate from their own shores might be due to differences in ingredients that they consider 'normal', weird ingredients like 'butyric acid', which is quite noticeable in Hershey's, for instance.

Awful taste. To me it tastes like you're re-swallowing a risky burp. Which makes sense when you consider where else butyric acid is found..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hershey_bar

Oh and..
    Hershey's developed a process that allowed them to use less-than-fresh milk. It's a trade secret what the process is, but it resulted in butyric acid being created, which gave Hershey's its (unique at the time) flavour.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/3nhoiw/eli5_why_does_american_chocolate_taste_so_bad_in/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Another thing is that one of the key ingredients in milk chocolate is milk.

We're very lucky in Ireland that our cows are mostly grass fed all year - this gives a far richer creamier tasting milk.

Hence milk chocolate made in Ireland will taste different even if identical ingredients are used.

As I'm used to Irish milk, i find milk in france and spain not to my liking - some french people don't like Irish milk cos its quite rich.

• Advertisement
Advertisement