Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asian Shopping Recommendations

Options
  • 08-07-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on heading to Eurasia supermarket on the fonthill road, Clondalkin this week. Can you give me any tips on what to buy, i.e good value for money, essentials that keep for a long time or maybe something which may be a little more unusual?

I'm into all types of food, Chinese, Indian, thai etc so fire away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I go to those type of shops when I need to stock up on my spices.
    (I haven't seen many herbs in the shop I go to).

I always buy the large plastic packs of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric, cinnamon, tins of pulses such as white beans and kidney beans.
    Much cheaper too. (Decant into jars or tins)

Also good for a varied selection of chillies and their garlic is far superior to the ones we're accustomed to in the likes of Tesco and Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I buy the big bags of Tilda rice - should be about €25 fit a 10kg bag. Also large bottles of Kikkoman soy sauce in addition to aforementioned spices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I get the frozen duck pancakes in our local chinese supermarket, they last ages in the freezer and whenever I want some duck pancake goodness, there they are! (I have been known to douse leftover pork or chicken in hoisin and stuff those in the pancakes as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gram flour for onion bahjis etc, it is much cheaper than in the likes of tesco and has a much higher protein content, almost double.

Some of the shops have loads of brands of say soy sauce, I usually wait around and look at what brand everyone else is picking.

Sesame oil is cheap but lots of it is only a blend so watch out.

You can get catering size tins of lots of stuff, I also reckon many shops have big bags out the back if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Scruffy...The Janitor

Not an essential. Maybe not good value for money even. but pocky! i can never get enough of the stuff. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Lots of Thai sweet basil, take them off the stalks and in to bags and then in to the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

duploelabs wrote: »
    Lots of Thai sweet basil, take them off the stalks and in to bags and then in to the freezer

Hi can you please tell me where you go to get this? Last time I saw it was only in plant form in Tesco, I took all the leaves off and hoped they would grow back but I don't think we have the climate for the plants, (they are Irish thai basil plants but i am guessing they're grown in greenhouses and sold in tesco) I have also tried a few different Asia markets who never have it in when I am looking for it - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Santan: Coconut milk powder, handy to have when you run out of canned stuff.
    Block of Tamarind pulp.
    Soya Sauce, Dark, light, Sweet (Kecap Manis) Kikkoman if you are doing Sushi.
    Curry Pastes, again very handy to have on hand. Mae Ploy range is good.
    Sambal paste
    Curry Leaves (fresh and freeze them)
    Galangal Root
    Turmeric root
    Wasabi powder
    Small pack of Aji-no-moto
    Oyster Sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any other brand recommendations?

East end brand spices are very common, I see bombay pantry with them in their windows, I find them good. I recently got their gram flour which was good too, some brands have a odd bitter taste.

Lee Kum Kee (or LKK) seems to be another brand seen a lot and I find them OK.

Now some might turn their nose up at it, but if you want a chinese takeaway style curry sauce try and get some goldfish brand sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have tried a few of the Shan brand spice mixes and found them good.
    The chicken curry one only needs half the box and its plenty strong enough for me and I like hot curries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement