Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering for Medicare, Centrelink etc

• 15-01-2014 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've been granted permanent residency in the past few weeks and I'm only now getting round to applying for Medicare. Does anyone know what the process is for this? I'm getting very confused with the info available on google.

Also, I'm currently employed but do I need to register with Centrelink in case I do lose my job or what way does that work? Is there a 'one-stop-shop' for applying for all these things or do I need to apply separately?

If there are any other benefits I can apply for I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks a mill :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Medicare: Go into medicare centre with this form and correct documents (you can also bring a proof of address just in case)

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/3101-1306en.pdf

Documents required
    • current passport or travel document for each person being enrolled
    • valid visa or original visa grant letter for each person being enrolled
    • (not applicable to you )where the applicants do not have permission to work, it is necessary to provide proof of their relationship with a spouse, parent or child who is an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident visa holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Don't forget to convert your driving licence too.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html

And congrats on the PR btw. We got ours two weeks ago and are figuring out the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Cheers AB, well done to you too - it's a great feeling to finally have it. I got a Vic licence when I first arrived in Australia so that's already sorted.

Any idea if you need to register with Centrelink or anything like that? An Aussie guy at work says that I don't but I'm not sure if it's different for him cause he was born here.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

We arrived here with PR and it was a term of the grant that we register with these services within 28 days of arrival. That was 2 years ago but I don't imagine its changed. No harm in registering.

You can register with centre link online but you'll need to show them some documents which they verify (passport, visa) so its easier just to go into the office and get it done . With Medicare you will need to be there in person with your passport but it only takes 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Cheers AB, well done to you too - it's a great feeling to finally have it. I got a Vic licence when I first arrived in Australia so that's already sorted.

Any idea if you need to register with Centrelink or anything like that? An Aussie guy at work says that I don't but I'm not sure if it's different for him cause he was born here.

You need to make sure that your licence isn't a temporary one. Usually non residents can only get a licence for up to a maximum of one year. These licences have a T on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

ArseBurger wrote: »
    You need to make sure that your licence isn't a temporary one. Usually non residents can only get a licence for up to a maximum of one year. These licences have a T on them.

Hmm never heard of that before. I have a 3 year licence - I was given a choice of a 3 or 10 year licence when I handed in my Irish licence in Victoria 2 years ago. Maybe that's a NSW thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Slideways

I need to register myself but have handed in my passport to get it renewed as it would be out of date in feburary. Still hasnt come back 6 weeks later

Advertisement