Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coombe or Rotunda Semi-Private

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Sorry to bump this. Currently having this argument with my GF. First baby and her mum has told her to go semi private. Adamant she is. We've no insurance cover. Is the general consensus it's no where near worth the money? And is the total cost of 8 grand a reality??? Going rotunda. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I don't think there's much difference in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Can she do domino scheme in the rotunda? It's free and better then private or semi-p in my opinion. You've to live in the catchment and be low risk.

If you qualify you have almost all your appointments in the local clinic with barely a wait and get released very quickly after birth (no need for a private\semi p room). Midwives come to your house daily for a week after you get home. I did it in September and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

On my first pregnancy I called up the Coombes accounts to query semi private without insurance and I was told in no uncertain terms by the lady who answered not to do it, that it's all pretty much the same.

I had health insurance on my next two pregnancies, so I went semi private. One consultant was always 2-3 hours behind no matter what, the next consultant was a good time keeper but there was a couple of times we were all left waiting as he attended to emergencies as is the nature of the job. Then admittance to the hospital and the birth itself is exactly the same care/experience.

So the room is the only difference , and in my experience if you have an extended stay prior to the birth they'll put public Patients in Semi private wards where they can.

Would you be well paying 4,000 for 3 nights accommodation in a hospital!? As I had health insurance I had to pay 750, and got 400 of that back through health insurance claims. Then around 300 for scans. I didn't mind paying that amount as it was over time, but a huge 4,000 + fee. No way that it's worth it. If you have it spend it on a holiday, a car, the homeless, anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Does anyone know if you can swap your patient category during your pregnancy? Swap from public to semi or semi to private or public to private?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Millem wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can swap your patient category during your pregnancy? Swap from public to semi or semi to private or public to private? Thanks

Actually would be very interested to hear the answer to this. The semi private appointment is made but I'm ringing tomorrow to see about changing it. But would be open to keeping it then going public. A compromise of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dapos wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering which people think is the best of these hospitals for maternity care? Thinking of going semi-private and have heard good things about both hospitals.

Does either provide similar services and care? Anything stick out?

Also has anyone gone for the consultant-led semi-private care in the Rotunda, is Wednesday evening the only option? I can't do Wednesday evenings due to college classes.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Go public. That's the care you will ultimately receive anyway.

All you're doing by going private for maternity care is adding another few grand to some kid's inheritance.

My wife has been twice through the rotunda public and the care she received each time was impeccable. And one delivery required emergency intervention from an on shift doctor. In the main public or private you'll be cared for by taxpayer funded mid wives.

Private maternity is the greatest scam going.

dbagman wrote: »
    Actually would be very interested to hear the answer to this. The semi private appointment is made but I'm ringing tomorrow to see about changing it. But would be open to keeping it then going public. A compromise of sorts.

Me too! Are you going to coombe?
    I can't remember my appointments on my son but I don't think there are many from 12 to 20 weeks for second pregnancy? Have horrific memory though!
    Wouldn't mind going public and then after 20 weeks switching?

Millem wrote:
    Me too! Are you going to coombe? I can't remember my appointments on my son but I don't think there are many from 12 to 20 weeks for second pregnancy? Have horrific memory though! Wouldn't mind going public and then after 20 weeks switching?

No rotunda I think. Myself and herself have been at loggerheads over this so if I have to compromise I will. But no way going full semi private without insurance. I'd rather spend 5 grand (and gladly will. I'm not being tight here) on my child. And think it would be far better spent too. I really can't comprehend the need to spend this money on nothing or why anyone would feel the need to.

No rotunda I think. Myself and herself have been at loggerheads over this so if I have to compromise I will. But no way going full semi private without insurance. I'd rather spend 5 grand (and gladly will. I'm not being tight here) on my child. And think it would be far better spent too. I really can't comprehend the need to spend this money on nothing or why anyone would feel the need to.

Sorry just read your previous post! You dont have insurance....I think you are mad to even consider semi p! Go public from the word go or do domino!
    I would only go semi or private if you have health insurance.

Rotunda is €1100 or €1800 semi p. You can go fully private there for €2200-€2500+ depending on consultant.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote:
    Sorry just read your previous post! You dont have insurance....I think you are mad to even consider semi p! Go public from the word go or do domino! I would only go semi or private if you have health insurance.

Thing is I'm not considering it. She was advised to go semi private. I half agreed without fully understanding it. Looked it up aswell as getting advice from my own family and am having none of it now. No way. Semi private appointment made in meantime.

Thing is I'm not considering it. She was advised to go semi private. I half agreed without fully understanding it. Looked it up aswell as getting advice from my own family and am having none of it now. No way. Semi private appointment made in meantime.

I would cancel app as you will be liable for bloods and scan charges for 12 week appointment. No idea of cost but I would say maybe €100ish for scan and €125 for bloods but that is a rough idea so could be more!

Rotunda apparently have a new queuing sustenance for public which is meant to be much quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

Millem wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can swap your patient category during your pregnancy? Swap from public to semi or semi to private or public to private?
    Thanks

Just bumping this question as we are wondering the exact same thing, Initially went with public but would like to change to semi private in the Coombe.

Anybody have any experience of doing this? any issues with changing after the first scan?

mdlb wrote: »
    Millem wrote: »
    Thanks

Just bumping this question as we are wondering the exact same thing, Initially went with public but would like to change to semi private in the Coombe.

Anybody have any experience of doing this? any issues with changing after the first scan?

I switched from semi p to private. But that was at something like 6 weeks. Had no appointments when I switched.
    Delighted with the care so far have had 2 appointments to date.
    Everything is included in the private fee.
    In the coombe semi p is €750 plus scans....so if you can switch you will have saved yourself the cost of the dating the scan ;)
    Just ring and ask them!

Advertisement