Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October 2015 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I'm ok with smells now. Got a little bit nauseous today, I'm only 5.5 weeks so it's very early for it. That's started at 7 weeks on number 1.
    The only thing I like at brekkie it scrambled eggs and a sausage - I don't think I should be having the egg in case they are undercooked?
    There is nothing else I can stomach first thing 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I'm ok with smells now. Got a little bit nauseous today, I'm only 5.5 weeks so it's very early for it. That's started at 7 weeks on number 1.
    The only thing I like at brekkie it scrambled eggs and a sausage - I don't think I should be having the egg in case they are undercooked?
    There is nothing else I can stomach first thing 😣

Well cook them enough and they'll be fine? It's only runny eggs that are meant to be avoided, ones with completely runny yolks, one that is just a little wobbly in the middle is fine, there's nothing said about scrambled eggs.

Thanks Spottybananas - they're well in cooked so should be fine. I was so good for cereal last time but have a turn off milk at the moment.
    My other complaint - insomnia. Tossing and turning all night, and roasting hot in the middle of the night. Oh for a few glasses of wine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Well eggs would be much better for you than cereals anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Elly_Welly

What questions do you have? People here can probably help with pregnancy related ones, unless it's specific to where you are living and what hospital you are going to.

They're really into doing genetic tests and tests for all kinds of checks for potential fetal abnormalities, but I'm not particularly sure which ones I actually *want* to do. Do I want to do a check for Down Syndrome? What good would it do to know now? Plus I don't think that a lot of these genetic tests are really necessary- usually they're an issue when the couple are both originally from this country, but neither of us were born here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 rith

Hi Everyone,
    I just got a positive pregnancy test this morning! So delighted and nervous and excited. I've told my husband but we aren't telling anyone else till after first scan. I reckon I'm about five weeks and five days pregnant. So early days but it will be an October birth, decided to join this forum because it will be great to be able to chat to people in the same situation. It was our first month trying to conceive and I just came off the pill after many years so I just can't believe it has happened so fast and I am just hoping it all goes well. I've had dull pain or discomfort now and again in my back, hips and pelvis area for two weeks I kept thinking it was my period coming and Im bloated and waking in night last few nights needing to pee, but they are only symptoms so far. So thrilled but feel like bursting because I don't want to tell people, a friend was coming over for wine tonight so I will have to pretend Im on antibioics or something to cover not having a drink!
    Congratulations to you all, so excited about this journey together :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Congrats Rith! I know how you feel, it'll be a long few weeks waiting to tell. I've go abroad with a group at around 11 weeks and don't know if I'll be able to hide it. I'm considering getting a private scan round 10weeks just for piece of mind and more accurate due date. Goodluck tonight with the wine, I was at a wedding last sat and of course people questioned why I was refusing drinks. Hope we're all feeling good this week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hawii50

Congratulations Rith, very exciting times! I had the exact same symptoms as you at 4/5 weeks, Im now 7 weeks and the neausea has started to kick in, I feel like Im hungover everyday! Yes the drinking thing is a bit of a pain, I was at a Christening at the weekend, I had to pretend to drink as they would have totally suspected! My poor hubby had to down my drink then when no-one was looking, I dont think he minded too much though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nono2012

wow ladies this group is really growing.. your stories about the parties and disguising it, are funny... I am a bit off form today, was walking into work and got the most disgusting fish taste in my mouth I nearly gagged there and then. O it was disgusting.. I haven't been sick yet tho, although I'd take it any day over that horrible taste in my mouth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

I've all sorts of weird and wonderful pregnancy symptoms now at 7 weeks + 1 day. Tiredness and nausea are the main things. Strong and sometimes intense sense of smell. Boobs are so sore! I'm taking all of them as signs that this time it's probably going to be ok.

I've an early scan Friday next week at 8+2 and I'm so impatient. I'm quite anxious as it was at a 12 week scan last year that the mmc was diagnosed. I tried the angelsounds doppler today but it's way too early to hear anything apart from my own heartbeat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Never thought of the doppler. Are they any good?

Have taken a big bottle of ginger ale to work with me to try and stop my nausea. 7 weeks today!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

cruais wrote: »
    Never thought of the doppler. Are they any good?

Have taken a big bottle of ginger ale to work with me to try and stop my nausea. 7 weeks today!:D

I'm sneaking in from September :o I have a doppler, a sonoline B one. It has great reviews on amazon so I can't wait to pick up the heartbeat in a week or two. I'm 10 weeks now so can't get it yet. I loved it on my last pregnancy, I had the angelsounds one which was great but you had to use headphones, I prefer the speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

I'll let you know if I hear anything cool with the doppler. They say it won't work til 14 weeks but I'm gonna try it earlier, just to see if it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maggi

Hi girls, congrats to all!! 😀😀 Can I join ye? I'm also due this October. I'm 5 weeks + 4 days, found out last week! So excited, it's our 1st baby. I told my hubby on Valentine's Day & he is thrilled!
    Had a quick check up with my doc last week & going back on Tues to get my bloods done. I'm due 20th Oct & will be going to CUMH.
    We havnt told anyone yet. We're planning on telling our mums on Mothers Day (first grandchild on both sides so you can imagine the excitement) I should be almost 9 weeks by then. I can't wait to tell our mums!!!!!! Dunno how I'll keep it quiet for another 3 weeks!!! ☺️☺️☺️
    Anyone else going to CUMH? Because it's my first I don't really know how things work. After the doc takes my bloods she send some forms to hospital & then we wait for them to write to you with a date for 1st scan?? Is that right? How long does it usually take for them to reply? Really looking forward to 1st scan to make sure all is ok xx

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Hi all, so got my bfp confirmed with my doc last week. 5weeks...yay!

Doctor is going to refer me To Holles St.

I think I'm covered to go semi private on my health insurance but will the hospital go through this with me at first appointment?...also, is the first appointment standard 12 weeks for a "normal" pregnancy. doctor said 20 weeks to me...surely not?

This is all so new to me.

I feel like I haven't a clue what I should be doing, really want to hear a heartbeat by 12 weeks before we go telling anyone. Don't see why I shoud have to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

Hi, room for one more?!
    I'm almost 8wks pregnant on number 4. Surprise baby, and our last!
    Got my hospital appointment letter last week so my scan is on 2nd April at which point I'll be 13 weeks ( all going well)
    With my other 3 pregnancies I got a private scan at around 8-9 weeks, but with me on a sabbatical from work we can't afford it.
    I'm a natural worrier so hope these weeks fly in!
    Morning sickness in full swing, threw up once today and am in bed smothering with cold!
    How is everyone else feeling?

guideanna wrote: »
    Hi all, so got my bfp confirmed with my doc last week. 5weeks...yay!

Doctor is going to refer me To Holles St.

I think I'm covered to go semi private on my health insurance but will the hospital go through this with me at first appointment?...also, is the first appointment standard 12 weeks for a "normal" pregnancy. doctor said 20 weeks to me...surely not?

This is all so new to me.

I feel like I haven't a clue what I should be doing, really want to hear a heartbeat by 12 weeks before we go telling anyone. Don't see why I shoud have to pay for that.

Congratulations!
    I think your only way to go is private scan I'm afraid. That's what I had to do except with my second son where I had some spotting and was referred to epu for early scan at 6 wks.
    My friend bought a hone Doppler with which she could detect heartbeats (twins) from 10 weeks, but many people can't until much later so it may end up causing unnecessary stress.
    The weeks do seem never ending but they will pass, you'll see your baby before you know it :)

Edit: sorry just see that you were told first scan would be @ 20 wks. That's really late. I would ring the maternity hospital you're going to bad check with them...

SurferRosa wrote: »
    Morning sickness in full swing, threw up once today and am in bed smothering with cold!
    How is everyone else feeling?

Oy, feel your pain on the 'morning' (ie all day!) sickness! The only thing I can stand to eat is salty rice. Feeling like I'm eating very unhealthily but I can't stand the sight of vegetables at the moment :S Hope you feel better soon!

X2 on the cold...smothered at the moment and really wish I could take some decongestant. 2 year old also awake coughing all night. I'm shattered in work, might be calling in sick tmr. Could I feel any more sorry for myself!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Hi all, welcome to the new arrivals.

So I went for an early scan yesterday but it didn't go well. They couldn't find a heartbeat which should be visible at 9 weeks and the baby was very small..only measuring what a 6 week pregnancy should look like. I have to wait a week and then go into the early pregnancy unit in the coombe for a repeat scan. I'm not very hopeful because I was using ovulation tests and so am very sure of my dates. It's certainly not possible for me to be two weeks out anyway.

So a week in limbo awaits.

• Advertisement

I had my first doctor's appointment yesterday and was really delighted by everything she had to say. Basically, all I need is a blood and pee test once a month in a nearby health center, which can be scheduled in advance so I don't need to keep going back to the doctor. She said that some women get monthly ultrasounds, but that one per trimester is plenty. She also said that it wouldn't be necessary to have any pelvic / internal examinations or anything like that, all she did was poke around my belly a bit which was a big relief!

She also recommended against any prenatal tests (seems most carry miscarriage risks and aren't accurate anyway) which I was glad to hear. A friend of mine was told that she should have a termination because her child would be severely handicapped, and went against every doctor's advice only to give birth to a healthy boy.

I'm really sorry Typer Monkey. Although it doesn't look too promising you really don't have to look far to find stories of ladies who had slow growers initially who caught up. You may have implanted late also which would make baby smaller.
    Hope the week flies by and you get positive news at the next scan...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Thanks so much surfer rosa. I haven't given up hope completely but I'm being philosophical about it. I know there's nothing I did or could do now to affect the outcome. If there's something wrong with the baby and the pregnancy didn't develop as normal then it's sad and very disappointing but ultimately for the best. I'll also be mega annoyed with having had 10 weeks of early pregnancy crappyness for nothing and I'm not looking forward to what comes after a miscarriage diagnosis (bleeding D&C etc) but I think I'm bearing up well in general.

What will be, will be. Hope I haven't scared anyone, just wanted to share

I'm feeling sorry for myself too! If I don't who else will?!
    I'm lucky though in that I'm on my second year off work on sabbatical so at home. My mam lives in same town as me so today and yesterday she brought/ collected my 4 year old from playschool. My friend who has a boy in my 6 yr olds class has taken him in for he the last two mornings which just leaves me with the 2 yr old until 12.
    It was awful though this morning as my 2 yr old was shouting at me from the top of the stairs. It might as well have been mt Everest I was facing. I was trying to coax her down without whichever toy she wanted me to get when I felt the sudden need to puke. Bye bye breakfast. Currently trying to keep fizzy water down! The joys;)

Thanks so much surfer rosa. I haven't given up hope completely but I'm being philosophical about it. I know there's nothing I did or could do now to affect the outcome. If there's something wrong with the baby and the pregnancy didn't develop as normal then it's sad and very disappointing but ultimately for the best. I'll also be mega annoyed with having had 10 weeks of early pregnancy crappyness for nothing and I'm not looking forward to what comes after a miscarriage diagnosis (bleeding D&C etc) but I think I'm bearing up well in general.

What will be, will be. Hope I haven't scared anyone, just wanted to share

Not at all everyone should be able to share their experiences good or bad. I can only imagine the range of emotions. At least you will know soon. Will be thinking of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nono2012

Aw Typer Monkey, I really hope everything works out ok, keep positive... I feel really sad hearing that but fingers crossed all will be ok.. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Typer monkey, I'm sorry to hear that. Although do keep positive, my friend was in exact same situation and it caused her so much stress because she was so so sure. All through the pregnancy was near two weeks out from her own date but in turn, she gave birth to a healthy baby boy. I know waiting till next week will be hard on you.
    Girls, feel ur stress with the sickness. Mines is from 7.30 most evenings. Yuck. My 6yr old is asking why he hasn't got my bug yet! Ha. I also slipped down a few stairs this morning and hurt my back. Was a bit worried but was reassured baby is well cushioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MsGrumpy

Fingers are crossed for you Typer Monkey xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hawii50

Sorry to hear that Typer Monkey, i hope the week doesn't drag in for you. It sounds like you are being every level headed about it anyway which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Hopefully everything will be ok for you Typer Monkey, and next week brings good news x

Advertisement