Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St Bernard

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Hi All,

Just wanted to come back to this thread again as Charlie was involved in an accident last week. He ran out on the road and went under the front wheel of a jeep. Went to the vet with him and his pelvis is broken. He can walk but it hurts him if he moves a certain way. He is on pain killers and is eating and drinking (and pooing) ok.

The advise we have been getting is that it needs to heal itself. So he needs to be confined as much as possible for the next month or so to give it a chance. I was so relieved to see him still alive after what happened but I feel so helpless at the moment. We have confined him to a small area and are letting him out once a day to go to the toilet. He is getting pain relief tablets daily.

The reason Im posting this is Im wondering if anyone has been through something similar with their dog and can give some advise. We are just really looking for some light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

deejer wrote: »
    The reason Im posting this is Im wondering if anyone has been through something similar with their dog and can give some advise. We are just really looking for some light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks

So sorry to hear this. Really worrying time for you. I don't have an experience that is the same, but do have one where rehab would be similar. My mastiff has had 2 tplo ops where she had to be confined to a crate for 6 weeks each time. I would take her out for about 5 mins 3/4 times a day. Initially I would put a towel under her tummy to support her but maybe you can't given his pelvis is injured? Stuffed Kong's etc are very important to stop boredom creeping in. Also I cut back on her food to compensate for the lack of exercise.... any weight gain, I felt, would make het recovery more difficult. The biggest problem was my own lack of patience. I was very much inclined to start allowing her out more frequently once she started any sign of recovery, ultimately hindering her and her recovery - so be strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

deejer wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wanted to come back to this thread again as Charlie was involved in an accident last week. He ran out on the road and went under the front wheel of a jeep. Went to the vet with him and his pelvis is broken. He can walk but it hurts him if he moves a certain way. He is on pain killers and is eating and drinking (and pooing) ok.

The advise we have been getting is that it needs to heal itself. So he needs to be confined as much as possible for the next month or so to give it a chance. I was so relieved to see him still alive after what happened but I feel so helpless at the moment. We have confined him to a small area and are letting him out once a day to go to the toilet. He is getting pain relief tablets daily.

Thanks

I cared for a foster dog immediately after the exact same injury, pelvis broken after getting run over by a bus (which didn't stop, it was the car behind that did). Now he was only a terrier cross, and much smaller, so much easier to help move him out for toileting than a Saint. It will heal itself, and for the first weeks or so, when the dog is less mobile and in more pain can be tough, I found the subsequent weeks harder to manage as the pain was less, and the dog was frustrated with being confined, but you really need to maintain the rest to ensure it heals properly. Also his weight with trying to stand up may be a hindrance. I wonder would one of the harness helper things be of any use? Maybe ask your vet would it help?

http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/products/walkabelly-harness

Ya his mobility is very good considering. Which is probably going to make it more difficult. He definitely isnt used to being confined like this which is going to be a problem. We let him out for 5mins this morning and he was very reluctant to go back in again. In a couple of days its going to be a real struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

I've been through a broken pelvis with a cat and a small dog and each time the only treatment is confinement. Your situation obviously is exasperated by his size and being so young. With horses on box rest you can give a supplement that calms and makes being locked in more bearable and lessens the risk of them doing further damage. I wonder if you could speak to your vet and if something similar is available for dogs? Possibly even a very mild sedative for the duration while not ideal is better than him damaging himself. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Heskey1971

Our St Bernard had to get her cruciate done on her back leg.Same in some ways that the dog needs to be kept confined lucky they are lazy !!! ).

We were conservative and done everything to make sure she didnt move around so one of us slept downstairs in the kitchen with her for over a month.We also wrapped a scarf around her waist to hold her up when she was having a piss or ****,this helps to keep pressure off her legs,I presume this would be the case with her pelvis too.As they are such a big dog theres serious pressure on their back legs.We trained our one to eat lying on her belly too and also to drink her water that way.
    Kongs are good,bones are good too to help the boredom.I would advise to be over conservative to start with.

good luck

Just an update on Charlie. Its been 5 weeks and he is definitely showing signs of improvement. He is in a slightly large house for the last 10 days or so as it was impossible get him back into the crate anymore. He seems to be carrying himself ok so we are hopeful that he should make a full recovery.

Most difficult time is now as the pain seems to be gone and he is mad to get free. Hard when you have to listen to him crying when he hears us outside but know its for his own good in the long run.

We are going to stick with it for anther week or so and then see what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just be very careful - it takes 12 weeks for bones to heal/knit back together. My dog had an accident (a dog jumped up on him :mad:) 8 weeks post op - when the vet was showing me the xrays there was a visible gab between the bone ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes please be very careful. Even though he's not in pain, he runs the risk of doing major damage if it's not healed fully and does too much too soon.
    Please follow vet instructions strictly and don't think he's ready for this or that unless your vet tells you.
    My Rottie 3 days post tta crucially surgery was dying to be free and wasn't in pain but she had to stay in her crate for 6 weeks and on lead for another few weeks after that so don't let them fool you.
    Just do what vet tells you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement