Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

If its the ainol advanced it is a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭k123456

Whats the diff between the Advanced and Basic

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gloam

Bit the bullet and ordered one, will let you all know how it turns out!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 metalmonk

This uses the MIPS Xburst CPU. There are some reports of compatibility issues with apps as most are compiled for ARM CPUs.

"and there are question marks over the compatibility of the MIPS chipset with some Apps"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245850/99_ice_cream_sandwich_tablet_available_but_buyer_beware.html

http://www.gadgetfreakz.co.uk/ainol-novo-7-advanced-android-2-3-cortex-a8-capacitive-7-tablet-flash-11-g-sensor-1080p-hdmi-8gb.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Swampy wrote: »
    If its the ainol advanced it is a great price.

No it's the Ainol Novo 7 Paladin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

ainol-novo-7-advanced-vs-novo7-paladin-android-40-review-differences.html
    Not a terribly informative review but appears the Paladin has a throttled 1.5GHz proc vs the Advanced 800MHz one, has no front camera and no front face buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Whats people's opinions on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Deal Extreme seem to be getting very very slow with dispatch and shipping lately! I ordered something of them on the 16th Dec, they only got it dispatched yesterday!! At that price I'd be temped by the Novo, but not off them!

Will it work OK with Android Market

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Looking for something like this to keep the kids amused on long car journeys - games & videos - is this a good option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Can a 7" tablet be used to do banking on line without a special apt or would screen be too small and messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Timmaay wrote: »
    Deal Extreme seem to be getting very very slow with dispatch and shipping lately! I ordered something of them on the 16th Dec, they only got it dispatched yesterday!! At that price I'd be temped by the Novo, but not off them!

I think it depends on current stock levels at the time of ordering. I find them quite efficient for a Chinese company. Have ordered plenty from them and never had an issue.

If I was going to buy an Android tablet from China, DX would be top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

how much would it come to after including custom duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

how much would it come to after including custom duty?

There's a handy site for finding this cost dutycalculator.com

As delivery is free there's no tax on that so in this case:

Total import duty & taxes due: €21.16
    Total landed cost: €113.16

I was also looking at the specs of this tablet. It's not bad if your intending to use it as a basic ebook reader. I may also do some basic webpages and a few apps.

Just remember that it only has 512MB and a 1GHz CPU.

If this is your first foray into Android land, it means that it won't be very good at games, Video above SD (no 720 or 1080p) and may have some trouble with certain apps and webpages containing flash.

If you're looking for a tablet that can run the latest Android well, you need a minimum of a 1GHz CPU (preferably dual core), at at the very least 1GB of RAM.

Otherwise though, at this price this tablet is quite good to play around with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

metalmonk wrote: »
    This uses the MIPS Xburst CPU. There are some reports of compatibility issues with apps as most are compiled for ARM CPUs.

"and there are question marks over the compatibility of the MIPS chipset with some Apps"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245850/99_ice_cream_sandwich_tablet_available_but_buyer_beware.html

http://www.gadgetfreakz.co.uk/ainol-novo-7-advanced-android-2-3-cortex-a8-capacitive-7-tablet-flash-11-g-sensor-1080p-hdmi-8gb.html

This post is worth repeating.

If you must go for\have a choice between the Novo Paladin and Ainol Novo Basic, take the Novo Basic, as it has a superior screen. 4 point V 2 point touch, as far as I can tell.

My personal choice would be to spend just a little more, for avoiding the MIPS compatibility issues and go for a tablet like the Ainol NOVO Elf.

Same size, same form factor, but with the ARM CPU, you're guaranteed normal app functioning, along with the rather impressive GPU, which plays HD content without issue.

Captain Zap - NOVO Elf overview

Captain Zap - NOVO Elf Market install (not endorsing this video.. you take the risk)

---

I'm waiting a few days before ordering (Chinese New Year).
    Xzen wrote: »
    If this is your first foray into Android land, it means that it won't be very good at games, Video above SD (no 720 or 1080p) and may have some trouble with certain apps and webpages containing flash.

A lot of the new generation budget slates sporting the Mali GPU can handle HD, even at this price point. This has been the driving force for the gold rush mentality surrounding tablets like the Novo 7 Advanced recently.

YouTube is your friend. Mooch about for Quadrant tests of the Paladin and various other 'non brand' tablets, quite impressive, when compared to settled brands like Samsung and Archos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

These Ainol tablets are fantastic for the price. They have really taken the world by storm and sold out everywhere.

The Novo 7 Advanced is completely sold out and it looks like Ainol won't be making anymore. They are however releasing an Advanced 2 next month.

I'm not familiar with the Ainol Elf & Ainol Aurora - but they seem to be better spec (double the RAM, higher screen resolution, etc.)

Amalgam - you seen any reviews of the Aurora?

Ainol NOVO Elf. Hi Thanks for info re Elf, where can it be boght from and about how much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Amalgam wrote: »
    Mooch about for Quadrant tests of the Paladin and various other 'non brand' tablets, quite impressive, when compared to settled brands like Samsung and Archos.

To put quadrant scores in perspective my samsung europa gets 1870 quadrant score with cyanogenmod so I would'nt place too much weight on a score of 1820.

brimal wrote: »
    Amalgam - you seen any reviews of the Aurora?

No proper critical reviews, but quite a few unboxings and feature run through videos, from the chinese stores.. just do a search for it. YouTubers complaining that the Aurora videos of the UI look 'laggy', compared to the Novo 7 Advanced. There's also the Ainol Wizard, to confuse things further, that seems to be a CPU speed bump, above the Elf.

All the same company too, with more models on the way.

Amalgam wrote: »
    No proper critical reviews, but quite a few unboxings and feature run through videos, from the chinese stores.. just do a search for it. YouTubers complaining that the Aurora videos of the UI look 'laggy', compared to the Novo 7 Advanced. There's also the Ainol Wizard, to confuse things further, that seems to be a CPU speed bump, above the Elf.

All the same company too, with more models on the way.

Think i'll hold out for the Novo 7 Advanced 2 next month.

These new range of Ainols (Elf, Aurora, etc.) seem to be a rush job. Huge waiting lists for these sold out Ainols so they just throw anything half-decent out for now to keep sales going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I may buy this, but i'm an Ainol virgin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

brimal wrote: »
    Think i'll hold out for the Novo 7 Advanced 2 next month.

These new range of Ainols (Elf, Aurora, etc.) seem to be a rush job. Huge waiting lists for these sold out Ainols so they just throw anything half-decent out for now to keep sales going.

Will any of the new range that's coming out have a 10" screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

yabadabado wrote: »
    Will any of the new range that's coming out have a 10" screen?

and will any of them qualify as a Bargain Alert!!!

I wouldn't get the Paladin. The frame around the screen is raised, which doesn't give it a slick look or user experience.

Just my personal preference. The other Ainol models screens are flush with the frame, like tablets should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Does anyone here have one ?would they recommend it ?Was thinking of buying it,just for basic web browsing and for watching films while commuting.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

might buy this.

I'm a very figety person so when I watch a movie I'm always checking stuff on my droid phone - "what's he in?", What does that term mean?, etc etc.

This would serve my needs a bit better.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Glenviewjf wrote: »

You'll be paying ~€45 extra though.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

I've ordered the Ainol Nova 7 Aurora from Pandawill. (€139 inc del via DHL Hong Kong, will be extra €30 if customs stop it) Its Chinese New Year so all these guys are off til the end of the month, so wont get shipped until Mid Next Week.

No Offical Google Android Market at the moment but there is a fix doing the rounds for the Elf that may work.

Will post up a mini review of it once I have used it a little. If anyone has particular questions or requests for me to try on it, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Looks like I dont have to, thanks to Jeromeof putting the review from Merimobiles below :)

• Advertisement

Paddy_man, be patient, there might be an official Ainol Market fix soon.. keep an eye on this page.

(in Chinese though..)

http://www.ainol.com/plugin.php?identifier=ainol&module=download

I went for the Ainol Novo Elf from Pandawill. €113, delivery included. Excluding Duty, which will be extra..

---

Just to say, MIPS browser choice is still quite limited, with the likes of Opera not working on the Ainol Paladin Knight yet.

For the sake of €20 or so, I'd recommend someone to spend the extra, for a very different (non MIPS) experience.

Advertisement