Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Krav Maga

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

In addition to my post...

Re biting. In KM we do not really bite people, but it is simulated of course as a back up technique. when I refer to its effectiveiness, I refer to the above mentioned incident that happened me. just for the record.

I believe to be effective, you must train in all fighting distances and areas. and at least have some basic techniques for all areas.

I lead a very busy work life and time is very limited for me, so KM gives me the edge with its simple techniques, god forbid I ever have to defend myself again.

In fact if I had the time, (which I don't) I would be doing a night of MMA in somewhere like straightblast or somewhere so I would have ability in their angle, to allow me to stay ahead of the pack, in addition to my KM, and the little bit of kickboxing I still do. I would love to do muay thai too, but again time prevents me ,so I make good what I have.

Its a bad mouse that depends on the one hole!

I don't think I made myself clear enough on this topic.

The incident where a student bit another student is not acceptable. Period.
    I don't rule out anything in an SD suitation but you don't need to actually do it in training in the same way I wouldn't bareknuckle punch, palmheel in the nose someone in training. I pretty much know it will do damage.
    The biting option is still one I would only use if I had no choice...Hepatitis etc.

Sure people make comments to maket themselves. However remember KM is the offical system of Isreali special forces, and was developed by them. and fact Paul Vunak did train navy SEALS for 6 years on a full time basis. see wwwfighting.net for his references. So technique I am referring to is used by these groups.
    I stand by what I said; I really could not care less what navy seals train in. It has no bearing on self defence in Ireland.
    I think it was columok who said a better example would be a door man in Dublin and I think he right. I'm sure navy seals have a different set of priorities possibly killing people (I don't know, never in any army and know absolutely nothing on the subject) but i'm pretty sure it does not relate to an Irish Citizen walking down the street.
    On it being a marketing tech. Well I can imagine the type of people impressed by that sort of thing.

Dabhal

Dabhal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gcdublin

I have no personal vendeta against anyway - especially not KM or Pat. I said all along it wasn't for me. This is an open forum in which I am giving my opinion, and my reasons for it. People who practise KM on a regular basis will have a different view to me, and that's fine too.

Millionaire you said "Re biting. In KM we do not really bite people, " well I did a KM course, and I got bitten. My entire point behind the biting story was that novices are taken in and taught lethal techniques straight off. It does not take a genius to see that this is not a good idea. Self defence / martial arts and most areas in life take practice - especially ones that involve potentially saving your own life. People who learn self-defence courses in a short period may believe they know more than they do down the line.

It is generally perceived that in a confrontational situation, once you gain control you are now the aggressor and not defending yourself anymore. So if someone attacks me and I heal-palm them to the point they are backing / stumbling off, and I can run away, if I continue to strike them this is not self-defence anymore. I got my window of escape, and chose to stay and fight from a position of control, I am now the aggressor.

If someone leaves an course after learning quite aggressive "lethal stopping" moves as they are advertised, will they have the control to stop when they should, or are they just going to add more violence to the equation? Also will they be more on edge, and end up causing more confrontations instead of having the good sense and training to say "I'm confident enough in myself to handle most things" and not end up flying off the handle, because they have limited training and think they "know" self defence.

I said all along this isn't personal - just my 2 cents with respect to short courses which are advertised as being aggressive by definition. They teach lethal moves but do not have the duration to teach the most important items to accompany these tools of self-control, judgement and avoidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

dabhal wrote:
    I don't think I made myself clear enough on this topic.

The incident where a student bit another student is not acceptable. Period.
    I don't rule out anything in an SD suitation but you don't need to actually do it in training in the same way I wouldn't bareknuckle punch, palmheel in the nose someone in training. I pretty much know it will do damage.
    The biting option is still one I would only use if I had no choice...Hepatitis etc.

I stand by what I said; I really could not care less what navy seals train in. It has no bearing on self defence in Ireland.
    I think it was columok who said a better example would be a door man in Dublin and I think he right. I'm sure navy seals have a different set of priorities possibly killing people (I don't know, never in any army and know absolutely nothing on the subject) but i'm pretty sure it does not relate to an Irish Citizen walking down the street.
    On it being a marketing tech. Well I can imagine the type of people impressed by that sort of thing.

Dabhal

Dabhal
    Dabhal

How can you say systems/techniques from like likes of navy seals have no bearing on the average guy in ireland, where in your next sentance you admit to knowing "absolutly nothing on the subject". thats a total contradiction of your point! (man I should have been a barrister! :-)

Its the techniques I had to use to save my self from the vicious attack I experienced as in eye gouge and bite, quite typically would be found in military type systems. So I my real life experience Yes they are totally relevant in Ireland. If I was not for them I could fatally injured from the beating the thug was giving me, before I managed to turn the tables.

These military systems used by special forces etc are referred to as "Combatives" and in fact there is much info on the web. and Krava Maga is a pure combative system. I think if people want to train in these systems, thats their choice and they should not be judged.

Going deeper into it, I believe if you go back 100s of years the original forms of martial arts when people used them for life and death, would have techniques very similar. gouges, claws to vital points..ala "dirty tricks". look at the real application of techiques hidden in any kata/form, think about it. IMHO what happened was people put structure on these styles on the original meanings, applications were lost.

As for door men, yes I know and have trained with door men in the past (and done door work myself). some can handle themselves, alot cant and survive with the strenght in numbers. its easy to be hard/forceful when you got 3 buddies behind you to back you up. (been there, seen it etc etc)

For door training look at Geoff Thompson, he advocates the pre emptive strike, as in the door man hitting the other guy first...and bloody hard too! I got all his videos and have conversed with Geoff my email in the past asking questions re this trainings etc..
    now thats aggressive training!

as for GC getting bitten in KM. well I have been there almost 2 years and in training the biting is simulated. I can only project that someone may have bitten you by accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

Dabhal

How can you say systems/techniques from like likes of navy seals have no bearing on the average guy in ireland, where in your next sentance you admit to knowing "absolutly nothing on the subject". thats a total contradiction of your point! (man I should have been a barrister! :-)

Its the techniques I had to use to save my self from the vicious attack I experienced as in eye gouge and bite, quite typically would be found in military type systems. So I my real life experience Yes they are totally relevant in Ireland. If I was not for them I could fatally injured from the beating the thug was giving me, before I managed to turn the tables.

I see where your coming from and Like I said I don't know what training these guys do and I was making an assumption(as a good friend of mine loves to say..."assumption, the mother of all F*&kups") so I stand corrected.

These military systems used by special forces etc are referred to as "Combatives" and in fact there is much info on the web. and Krava Maga is a pure combative system. I think if people want to train in these systems, thats their choice and they should not be judged.

I was trying to make the point that the average person in Ireland like myself cannot relate to navy seals, fbi etc and that the people who would see this as attractive are the young hero types who want to be able to beat up several people movie style.
    Going deeper into it, I believe if you go back 100s of years the original forms of martial arts when people used them for life and death, would have techniques very similar. gouges, claws to vital points..ala "dirty tricks". look at the real application of techiques hidden in any kata/form, think about it. IMHO what happened was people put structure on these styles on the original meanings, applications were lost.
    I'm sure they did but I never said anything against any of that :confused:
    as for GC getting bitten in KM. well I have been there almost 2 years and in training the biting is simulated. I can only project that someone may have bitten you by accident.

Glad to hear it, I did ask for more information on that incident and look forward to a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gcdublin

About the biting thing nothing really more to say. We were doing escapes and one of them was from a headlock. We practised reaching back for the face, kicking shins, grabing "body parts" :) etc. One thing said was if all else fails turn your head sideways into their love-handles and bite.

Later on when practising, the guy I had in the headlock went a bit too far and did actual bite. I wasn't choking him or anything - it was a firm enough headlock, but he could have easily tapped out or got out of it in any of the numerous other ways being taught.

That's it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

The whole Navy Seals, Israeli Army, Irsih Rangers etc an appeal to authority, and as such it is fallacious. Just because some one in a position of authority does or says something does not make it fact, or make the inference true.

On the subject of bites, eye gouges, and all other nasty stuff: Anybody who can control an aggressor has no need for these things, and has no need to fear them.

Peace Out,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

No Colm your missing the point, whe whole military thing "combatives" is training in the systems or techniques used by these groupings. and KM as as system was totally and purely developed by Isreali Defense Forces for unarmed use in actual combat.
    I am only refering to the practice of techniques used by any of them for unarmed combat. I do not teach martial arts, and I have no interest in using stuff like this to promote myself, cause there is no point to that for me. just like to practice these types of techniques.

As for my comments on the "nasty stuff" if you have drink on you, are out for a happy night with friends, and out of nowhere a 6' foot 4 17 stone ish thug starts beating the head of you sucker punch style from your blind side. there is a very very very slim chance you will recover to use your techniques to control an aggressor as you will be dazed stunned shocked and scared like I was. Trust me on it Colm, when it gets to that stage its dog eat dog.

I got a buddy who has over 50 full contact ring fights internationally, has worked doors in dublin over 20 years (roughest doors) and is a hard hard guy who would have no qualms about hurting people and has had many many confrontations and no fear (I disapprove of this 110% naturally). andway one night he looked the wrong way for a second, got a hook of sovergn ring sto temple and went down.

facing a guy in the ring (like I used to) or you now in the cage (and I respect that a million % cause thats a real tough place to be) you are prepared mentally, you know whats coming...ish, you are in top peak fighting form and your sober nautrally. but out there when we happy drunk, with your chick, not expecting it, the techniques we all think we know goes out the door so fast. and sometimes just to survive you have to do it.

I had to defend myself in club last year, pick on by another big dude (for some reason they all pick in me!!!!) anyway no dirty tricks needed there, put it was messy, aggressive, and your off balance as tables, chairs , people all around you!

I am not aruging for the sake of it biters versus non biters. I am for all our good pointing out that street situations are messy, fast, usually come when you least expect it, and more often than not all the techniques or moves go out the window fast for many many different reasons.

anyway its not a nice subject, and I do not want to be telling war stories. the reason I am is to back my points up with real like situations that happened me personally, so you can see I have a real validity to say what I am saying and the points I am arguing.

Do ya all see my point ->

Cheers Dudes : - )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Millionaire,

I have to agree with you, when you are talking about SD then it is "time to get down and dirty". I also agreed with parts of your earlier post. But on the part about claiming that a style the biz because the Nazi ninja death squad used it. Is only a selling ploy from what I have seen of styles that claim such a thing.

From what I have seen the SBG and MMA guys don't like to do anything that is not allowed in MMA rules. And that is fine for them. But it don't mean that everyone is a Langer because they don't train exactly that way. A MMA comp is a great test of fitness, speed, timing and technique (MMA). As is a TKD comp for TKD and etc.. etc..

It is better to walk in mans shoes to understand his point of view. But then they might not always fit you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ryokossei

pma-ire wrote:
    Look at your style from the outside in, and open your eyes :eek:

:D;)

I know I'm late...give me a break, I've been dealing with a death.

however, I have looked at Krav Maga from the outside. When my TKD studio was sold out from under my sensei I had to choose wether or not I wanted to begin in Krav Maga. You see, the instructors at this school knew my sensei and offered to take her students under their wing, continue to allow her to teach out of their school, and they would pay her as an instructor. She did so, but after a while family problems, divorce, and what not got in the way. Shannon Lukeman-Hiromasa, one of the owners/head instructors (any Krav fans have probably heard of her and her husband, James) has a 5th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, so she continued to instruct us in that. However, I had watched enough of the Krav Classes (I have worked at the studio as office wench, and youth instructor for just over a year now), and had had my time to judge them from a traditinal point of view. Before then I never beleived my other black belts were pointless...but now, I do see that. I am proud of them, because I worked hard, but I am even more proud of my Green belt in Krav Maga. I have the beautifuly good fortune of being able to say that I've taken an outsiders view, as well as an insiders.

By the by, also, for all of you who don't think Krav works, lemme testify to it! ^_^ I had some problems with a couple o' thugs a while back, when I was getting my dad Taco Bell. Yes, I spilt my soda all over my car, and stepped on a taco everything of mine was okay. However, those two men had alot to think about that night in the new county prison (yay back-waters hick ville!!) If I, a 16-year old, 5'4", whimpy as heck white girl, can defend herself against two very tall, very muscular, very tan, and appareantly very horny men, without the help of the Taco Bell employees, I do think that gives Krav Maga some relevance. Afterall, it's the only art that ever taught me to defend myself with my arms behind my back (and that was a level one technique!)

I understand why many of you are so critical of it - I was too, but how many of you have actually tried it?

and to he who asked about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, and Savate , I have actually tried many of them. Jiujitsu, Boxing(wasn't a big fan of it, but it's just because I was a 12-year old goin' against a bunch of highschool boys), Judo, Wrestling, and I am currently in Muay Thai classes. I can't say, however, I've tried Sambo or Savate, but five out of seven ain't bad, right? ~72% isn't too shabby...

Ryokossei wrote:
    I know I'm late...give me a break, I've been dealing with a death.

Sorry to hear that. I hope all is well.
    Ryokossei wrote:
    but I am even more proud of my Green belt in Krav Maga. I have the beautifuly good fortune of being able to say that I've taken an outsiders view, as well as an insiders.

If your a green belt in KM then this is a school of MA you are training in?

The gripe that alot of peebs on here have is the seminar only thing. And the "you can be deadly after one course". But if you are going to regular classes then this is a different story.

• Advertisement

Millionaire,
    As for my comments on the "nasty stuff" if you have drink on you, are out for a happy night with friends, and out of nowhere a 6' foot 4 17 stone ish thug starts beating the head of you sucker punch style from your blind side. there is a very very very slim chance you will recover to use your techniques to control an aggressor as you will be dazed stunned shocked and scared like I was. Trust me on it Colm, when it gets to that stage its dog eat dog.

So you're telling me that what I train day in day out, against athletes with a high skill level, good fitness, intelligence, and sobriety, won't work against some unco-ordinated drunk? But a bite or eye poke will get him off me, and remove me from this disadvantage.
    I am for all our good pointing out that street situations are messy, fast, usually come when you least expect it, and more often than not all the techniques or moves go out the window fast for many many different reasons.

Why do you think they fail? Why do you think they fail?

On the whole subject of rules vs no rules fighting. It is not fun, and not healthy to train with all those nasty things in mind. A sporting context is far more rewarding, for a myriad of reasons, than constantly worrying about the dreaded street.

Also, and this is anecdotal evidence but other SBGi coaches have similar stories, I'm lucky in that I train in a college club. Every year, I get up to 30 big strong guys walk onto the mat. There's a lot of ego in those first classes, which is natural with young males. The techniques I show I'm able to pull off against all of them. These guys aren't given any ruleset before training, just an objective. I've had people try to eye gouge and all that jazz, and it's never worked.

As for combatives, maybe you'd like to check out the testimonials to the ISR Matrix

Peace and Love Y'All,
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭paul moran

Obviously you can't account for a sucker punch or being blind sided by a big thug or groups of thugs......

But you can raise your Awareness. Self Awareness is something that should be emphasised alot more in Martial Arts schools, SD Courses and regular day to day school/work/ community groups/employment etc.
    Remember Self Defence, Self Awareness does not only refer to you as an individual but it also refers to your friends and family.

How many times do you see a girl storm out of club because of an argument with "the fella"? How many times do you see lads barely concious strolling home? How often do you see a women in a dark carpark, searching her handbag for her keys? How many times do you see people leave their car unlocked while they go and pay for their petrol? How many times do you see teenagers displaying wealth (mobile phone, jewellery, cash, mp3 player) while standing waiting for the last bus? How many times do you see people at ATM's focussing only on the ATM receipt and cash in their hand? A small list of examples but I'm sure you can all add to it

Raising peoples Awareness can allow people to Anticipate what may happen in certain environments, then they can Avoid trouble. Of course this is not always the case but taking Action should hopefully be a rarity and always a last resort.

Just wanted to emphasis that point!

Paul Moran

I don't have a problem with MMA.

It has to be respected for all it is. The most mixed rules comps that you can get into, a true test of your stamina, and basic skill within the rules of the match.

But some people don't have the time, will or ability to get into physical combat competition. Still they want to learn how to defend themselves, and should be allowed to. If you say training of the street is a waist of time, then I have to disagree (all MMA lads seem to repeat the same mantra?).

Anyone can train in the JKD style. Claiming that you are the only right way and damming all that don't agree, is only putting yourself down as a person. But if thats what makes you happy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Lads,
    Just had an e-mail from Pat Cumiskey regarding some of the stuff in this thread.He's told me already he's got limited access to the web so banging up an e-mail to me and sending it is probably a better option for him than replying on here directly.At least he is still browsing through and may yet be in a position to join in more fully with the forum.
    Here is his e-mail
    Just A quick note to let you know that perhaps your discussion thread has
    lost its integrity - A pity because healthy debate is always useful.

You appear to have a number of new posts arriving including the guy
    John123xyc who claimed to train with me - HE DID NOT TRAIN WITH ME - See
    below (an unusual email address don't you think)his nickname here is the
    same email he used to register with my site.

Interesting that when a positive post is made by a newbie it must be me but
    when it negative '- it a no bs comment at last!"

On final note under no circumstances is biting allowed in my classes, it is
    taught as a total last ditch option and of course only simulated?

Again I don't know who the person saying they where bitten, if they were
    then and I knew it had happened I would have intervened !

It surprising to me that this person didn't know he actually did a 12 week
    course not an 8 week on (and when he spend 3 months of is life last year)
    NOW that would have been dam expensive! As opposed to the 30 hours everybody
    else got!

Also for what is worth , I don't plan to enter any beauty contests!

Perhaps the moderation of the site should be looked at!

Best wishes
    Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

He also included some e-mail correspondence he's had with a poster here before?

Original Message
    Sent: 27 January 2005 13:59
    To: info@kravmagaireland.com
    Subject: Re: your post

**** YOU YA BLEEDIN' EEJIT. YA COULDNT FITE YOUR WAY
    OUT OF A PAPER BAG. AND YOUR A RIP OFF ARTIST AND FAT
    AND UGLY TO

--- info@kravmagaireland.com wrote:

> Hello John
    >
    > This is Patrick Cumiskey here from Krav Maga Ireland
    >
    >
    > You post on boards.ie was mentioned to me
    >
    > Obviously your comments are disappointing
    >
    > Perhaps you can help me, I attach you registration
    > details below, it appears
    > you registered with me in December 2004 and came
    > across my classes in the
    > gaiety . I have not run any courses since you
    > registered
    >
    > I have a database of all people who have trained
    > with me, and I am surprised
    > that I can't find you,( I would have needed your
    > email to reserve you place
    > on the course) also I don't remember nor does my
    > database show your name
    > (John Malone) correct me if this is wrong
    >
    > As one of the posters mentioned I offer a money back
    > guarantee so if you let
    > me know which course you actually took and where and
    > If you were
    > dissatisfied and we can perhaps address this
    >
    > To be honest your comments regarding your fellow
    > course participants and
    > more disturbing. I can't relate to that
    >
    >
    > With regard to comments regarding control I can
    > only say 1200 people
    > trained , a few bruises, a couple of sprained ankles
    > but no hospital trips !
    >
    >
    > So please do come back to me
    >
    > Regards
    > Patrick
    >
    >
    >
    Original Message
    > From: john123xyz@yahoo.com
    > [mailto:john123xyz@yahoo.com]
    > Sent: 29 December 2004 21:10
    > To: info@kravmagaireland.com
    > Subject: Register
    >
    >
    > NAME: John Malone
    >
    > FROM: john123xyz@yahoo.com
    >
    > WHERE?: gaeity
    >
    > SUBJECT: Register
    >
    > TO: info@kravmagaireland.com
    >
    > GOTOURL: http://www.kravmagaireland.com/index.htm
    >
    > This mail has been sent by Lycos Mailer
    > from the page http://www.kravmagaireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Im2Lazy

This quote was taken directly from www.gracieacademy.com
    "The world famous Gracie family stands as a shining example of the proven methods they teach, through their amazing successes in the no-holds-barred arena and the introduction of ground fighting into the training regimen of nearly every major martial art, military unit and law enforcement organization worldwide."

They teach there techniques to the Military and horribly :rolleyes: they also advertise it, so what's the problem with other systems doing the same?

And you can't tell me anyone who got into BJJ did so just cos they like rolling around on the floor with guys :rolleyes: . They bought into what was being advertised on the TV on UFC etc. where BJJ fighters were winning alot, you just wanted a competive edge in the arena.

I agree with pma-ire
    A MMA comp is a great test of fitness, speed, timing and technique (MMA). As is a TKD comp for TKD and etc.. etc..

I've seen UFC fights that have gone on for over an hour sometimes more usually involving Royce Gracie but most street fight on average last 30 seconds so you don't need to have great fitness speed or timing just good simple techniques and the KM techniques are effective and simple.

I'd say alot of BJJ techniques would be great too which is why I'm going to try it, so instead of dismissing KM try it!

An enlightened man knows thats he doesn't know everything, and only through new experience can he grow as a person.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Anyone know of a knitting teacher in Dublin?

Yes, There is one knitting teacher in Dublin: Contact...............

Yes I went to that class, I will continue going, it was great. I learned valuable skills and after 12 weeks I made my own Jumper!!!!!

How do you know Knitting is better than sewing?

I don't but I like knitting, I hope you enjoy sewing, but for now knitting is enough for me.

No sewing is the only way, I've never done any knitting but once I saw a jumper and it looked crap. How do you know it's warmer than the shirt I sewed.
    If you tested your jumper against my shirt in a tearing competion who would win?
    I hope someone tears your jumper and then you have to fix it..........................................................................................................................And on and on for 7 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people are weird!!!!!!

This whole thread was somebody asking if anyone knew of a KM class. Someone told them who did. Someone else said they were on a class and they enjoyed it, so much that they wanted to keep it up. Then slowly they started getting attacked from all sides, where even quite early on someone said he hoped the km students get attacked!!!!!

Does anyone see what's wrong with this picture???

The thread wasn't "I think krav maga is the best style ever and I challenge you all to prove me wrong (through either meaningful or complete nonsense debate)"
    Grow up! Cop on! Get a f***ing life!!!
    Even those who have reasonable doubts about km, this wasn't the place for airing them, start a new thread if you must, but why you just can't have quite confidence in your own style I don't know.

I wonder if "santa" knows what he's done? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Im2Lazy

He's totally right we totally got off the topic of this thread, sorry Santa !
    And we are weird !!!!!!

Truce guys lets, just leave this topic alone .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Iguana,

in your jumping in and bitching about the thread youve fundamentally missed the point of this discussion and internet forums in general. Internet forums are not their to announce information in a purely objective manner. They are a place (albeit virtual) where people can argue their opinions on a given topic.

This entire discussion began when someone gave an opinion on KM. People countered this as they are perfectly entitled to do. I dont necessarily agree with ad hominem attacks in internet discussions but the majority of arguments were against the persons standpoint rather than the person themselves.

KM claims to be something. It advertises this to people. KM instructors take money off people on this basis! Fair enough. KM makes bold claims. People are entitled to question these claims.
    This whole thread was somebody asking if anyone knew of a KM class. Someone told them who did. Someone else said they were on a class and they enjoyed it, so much that they wanted to keep it up. Then slowly they started getting attacked from all sides, where even quite early on someone said he hoped the km students get attacked!!!!!
    The actual assertion was about the effectiveness of KM. This was in dispute!

The "getting attacked thing" was so the person could learn a lesson and the folly of their ways before its too late!
    Even those who have reasonable doubts about km, this wasn't the place for airing them, start a new thread if you must, but why you just can't have quite confidence in your own style I don't know.
    I have plenty of confidence in the effectiveness of MMA. Anything that claims to be something that I feel is wrong or misguided will be challenged by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Im2Lazy,
    And you can't tell me anyone who got into BJJ did so just cos they like rolling around on the floor with guys . They bought into what was being advertised on the TV on UFC etc. where BJJ fighters were winning alot, you just wanted a competive edge in the arena.
    Started BJJ to see what all the fuss was about. I dont do it for a competitive edge. Its fun, great for fitness and effective!

I've seen UFC fights that have gone on for over an hour sometimes more usually involving Royce Gracie but most street fight on average last 30 seconds so you don't need to have great fitness speed or timing just good simple techniques and the KM techniques are effective and simple.
    Ive seen similarly long MMA fights (eg. Royce Vs. Sakuraba 2001 Pride FC).

The point is that they are two world class fighters who have put in years of training and months of pre-fight preparation and their skill in a way cancels the other's out! A highly trained MMA fighter would rip through some drunken lout in a post-pub street fight. They arent gonna have to sit on them for half an hour waiting for a decision. Its all about context. You could put me in a ring against a person with no fighting experience and I could batter him. You could put me in against a pro-MMA fighter and Id get battered. That doesnt mean I cant fight. Context is the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

paul moran wrote:
    Obviously you can't account for a sucker punch or being blind sided by a big thug or groups of thugs......

But you can raise your Awareness. Self Awareness is something that should be emphasised alot more in Martial Arts schools, SD Courses and regular day to day school/work/ community groups/employment etc.
    Remember Self Defence, Self Awareness does not only refer to you as an individual but it also refers to your friends and family.

Paul Moran

I think Pauls brought up an important point here your never going be able forsee a sucker punch, (unless perhaps you have a dan grade in ninjitsu where i believe they do a test for this type of thing.) One thing that struck me when I was on the STAB course last year was that the guy emphasised how are you going to remember to perform finite movements while under pressure,
    gross motor movements are easier to learn and easier to pull off under pressure. Your not fiddling around for an eye poke etc etc. I think it is fair to say K M makes some bold claims. I think it is also fair to say that it is probably quite effective if thought over a period of time with resisting partners. I think it is also fair to say one weekend no way !!

there are a lot of people throwing around statistics here re street fights , I think its fair to say there is no average street fight time as no one has collated any data , on duration or frequency of streetfights.

Finally as an aside An Garda Siochana train in Tai Ho Jitsu, and thats no great claim for Tai Ho Jitsu now is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

columok wrote:

Started BJJ to see what all the fuss was about. I dont do it for a competitive edge. Its fun, great for fitness and effective!

I always thought u took up BJJ so you could wear shiny spandex!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

pma-ire wrote:
    If you say training of the street is a waist of time, then I have to disagree (all MMA lads seem to repeat the same mantra?).

*Fumbles for script*
    ...waste of time...Aliveness...unhealthy attitude...

Seriously though, a lot of MMA people react badly to "training for the street" because it was one of the main reasons charlatans gave for not stepping into a ring. "Our techniques are too deadly"..."we train for the street not competition"..."our teacher doesn't want to kill anyone so he doesn't enter, because he would you know".

I know plenty of people who train in MMA to be able to defend themselves. Sure they may enter competitions and enjoy them, whether for fun or as a test of their abilities, but their main reason is to keep themselves safe in a fight.

Clive's right. The type and method of training is the ame for people who just want to learn basic self defence as those who want to compete. The difference is the intensity, duration, and frequency for competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Coupe

Eh no its not! Its the targets you aim for, the motivation for doing so and the rules governing your actions or more importantly the lack of them depending on the situation!

One is a form of competition and excercise, the other in its rawest form is survival and self preservation.

Coupe wrote:
    Eh no its not! Its the targets you aim for, the motivation for doing so and the rules governing your actions or more importantly the lack of them depending on the situation!

One is a form of competition and excercise, the other in its rawest form is survival and self preservation.

What you say is right Coupe. But I think the MMA style can be applied in the right context if the will is there.
    Seriously though, a lot of MMA people react badly to "training for the street" because it was one of the main reasons charlatans gave for not stepping into a ring. "Our techniques are too deadly"..."we train for the street not competition"..."our teacher doesn't want to kill anyone so he doesn't enter, because he would you know".

I know plenty of people who train in MMA to be able to defend themselves. Sure they may enter competitions and enjoy them, whether for fun or as a test of their abilities, but their main reason is to keep themselves safe in a fight.

My comment earilier on MMA...
    has to be respected for all it is. The most mixed rules comps that you can get into, a true test of your stamina, and basic skill within the rules of the match.

The fundementals and skills are all valid and Christ from what I've seen most of the comp guys are hard nuts that could walk through anyone. If a practical approach to a street situation could be taken then I would be happier (JK's offer seems to be addressing this).

What I mean by addressing this situation is thinking how to avoid the dangers of when on the ground and throwing to the ground, eg. hard surfaces and soft bodies with pointly joints. The removal of the single goal of beating the man, and thinking about who is gonna jump on and help him out.

I hav'int seen a comment from any MMA'er on this, and it is the only thing that I have a gripe about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

What I mean by addressing this situation is thinking how to avoid the dangers of when on the ground and throwing to the ground, eg. hard surfaces and soft bodies with pointly joints. The removal of the single goal of beating the man, and thinking about who is gonna jump on and help him out.

I hav'int seen a comment from any MMA'er on this, and it is the only thing that I have a gripe about.

I don't think there is really a lot you can do about a hard surface. It's going to be hard for everybody no matter what they train.
    If you don't have a good enough ground game to beat one person then I think it's a bit pointless to start talking about how to beat multiple opponents on the ground. Realistically, if there is 5 of them and only 1 of you and you're on the ground unless you happen to be in your own King Fu movie at the time then you're most likely f%^ked.

Tim_Murphy wrote:
    Realistically, if there is 5 of them and only 1 of you and you're on the ground unless you happen to be in your own King Fu movie at the time then you're most likely f%^ked.

Tim I think you slightly misunderstood me :confused:

(i ) I don't think there is really a lot you can do about a hard surface. It's going to be hard for everybody no matter what they train. You can train to cutdown on the amount of injury you cause yourself when training on a hard ground while grappling an attacker. It just has to be tried out.

(ii ) If you don't have a good enough ground game to beat one person then I think it's a bit pointless to start talking about how to beat multiple opponents on the ground.I don't want to go to the ground if I find myself in a street fight. What I was trying to say was that if it did go to ground then concentrating on the one person will get you jumped on (I know this can happen when standing up also, it's just worst when you are on the ground). So I would be trying to get back up asap. Leaving it harder to the other person to get up so that I can have a chance to run or take other action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

You can train to cutdown on the amount of injury you cause yourself when training on a hard ground while grappling an attacker. It just has to be tried out.
    I did that for a few weeks a while ago because we couldn't train where we normally do because there was exams on. All it meant was that we were a little bit sore and had a few extra bruises.
    So I would be trying to get back up asap. Leaving it harder to the other person to get up so that I can have a chance to run or take other action.
    Fair enough. I'd would say most people would try to finish it quick and get up. Can be easier said than done though

• Advertisement

Tim_Murphy wrote:
    I did that for a few weeks a while ago because we couldn't train where we normally do because there was exams on. All it meant was that we were a little bit sore and had a few extra bruises.
    :cool: it's the thought that counts ;)
    Tim_Murphy wrote:
    Fair enough. I'd would say most people would try to finish it quick and get up. Can be easier said than done though

I would also, once it forms the concept of getting back up asap. If finishing it is the over riding factor then it can keep you down there longer than you can afford to be.

But basic ground pound as I've seen quoted by MMA'ers, would be the thing here and get the Fu*k up and out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement