Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Hi all I recently purchased a Olympus epl1 and really enjoy using it having great fun and also purchased a second lens 40-150.
    I am considering buying another camera if I can pick something up second hand. Just something with a bit better image quality and in time more choice of lens available to get second hand.
    Here is spec of epl1 pulled from Wikipedia

Sensor Four Thirds System 18.00 × 13.50 mm Live MOS
    (12.3 megapixels)
    Shutter 1/2,000 to 60 s – 30 minutes bulb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_PEN_E-PL1

Also something with perhaps better options for bracketing.
    I was thinking maybe a canon 400d but dont really know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

Looking for a camera for taking photos of newborn. Also, would like something pretty good for outdoor shots from time to time.

I am a relative newbie although I had the FZ38 which I liked but wasn't the best in low light conditions and the newer Panasonics seem to suffer from this also so this is one of the reasons that I am not rushing out to buy one again.

Trying to decide between Panasonic FZ-45 / 48 and the Nikon P500 and the Canon SX40

I think the Nikon and Canon would be better in low light conditions and also would like to see the high speed movie capture, sounds like a cool feature but is it overrated?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Dools2007 wrote: »
    Looking for a camera for taking photos of newborn.

Newborns are not too difficult at first, but they become progressively more
    difficult as they get older. Indoor shots of fast moving toddlers can be
    very tricky unless you use flash.
    Also, would like something pretty good for outdoor shots from time to time.

Outdoor shots in good light are relatively easy. Just about any camera
    can produce good results in these conditions.
    I am a relative newbie although I had the FZ38 which I liked but wasn't the best in low light conditions and the newer Panasonics seem to suffer from this also so this is one of the reasons that I am not rushing out to buy one again.

The FZ38 was one of the better bridge cameras. I have the older FZ28 which
    is also great in good light, but not good for low light or the worst case scenario
    of fast action in low light. This is an inherent limitation of superzoom/bridge
    cameras which have a very small image sensor and a slow (small aperture)
    lens.
    Trying to decide between Panasonic FZ-45 / 48 and the Nikon P500 and the Canon SX40

None of them are ideal for your indoor shots. Of the available bridge cameras,
    the Canon SX40 and the Panasonic FZ150 are probably best in class. Both
    can be fitted with an external flash for the more challenging indoor shots.

These cameras are relatively big and quite expensive. I think
    a camera with a larger image sensor would be better value for
    the money. You have a few choices:

A compact camera with a larger sensor and fast lens.
    Pansonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1, Canon S100... These
    cameras trade zoom range for better low light performance.

EVIL/mirrorless/interchangable-lens camera.
    Panasonic or Olympus Micro-Four-Thirds. Sony NEX. Samsung Nxxx.
    Better low light performance and IQ than a compact. The better ones
    like the Panasonic G3 are close to DSLR quality.

Basic DSLR
    Canon 1100D, Pentax K-r, Nikon 3100....

Probably the best option for your stated requirements. Best quality
    but potentially more expensive if you decide to buy extra lenses, flash etc...
    I think the Nikon and Canon would be better in low light conditions and also would like to see the high speed movie capture, sounds like a cool feature but is it overrated?

It can be useful to have the ability to shoot HD movies. Your FZ38 makes a
    reasonably good camcorder in good light. Shooting movies with a still camera
    and particularly with some DSLRs can be difficult and frustrating because they
    don't have proper full-time autofocus. I believe the Sony SLT cameras can
    overcome this limitation. If video is a priority, they might be a good option.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_SLT_camera

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

Okay guys, bare with me, I'm new to boards.
    What I need in a camera:
    ♫ Fast shutter speed, suitable for taking pictures of horses in mid-jump (I do an awful lot of horse riding, show jumping, hunting etc, so I need a camera which my dad\mom\friend can just click and it takes)
    ♫ Produces good quality pictures in any setting (current one has about 15 settings and only one isn't blurry, which is black and white :(
    ♫ Optical Zoom. All ones I;ve had have been digital, and I've been doing research online, which says I want optical, as I;d need it for zooming in without loosing quality.
    ♫Something that can take videos with pretty good quality.
    *edit* I'll also need it to have a memory card that I can put into computer and download photos without too much hassle.

Also... Would it cost much more to get a rechargeable one? I don't really want to have to keep buying batteries for it :p
    I am in Sligo ;)
    Thats about it. I'm willing to spend about 100€ which I know is nothing but I don't have that much to spend, as I'm 13 and this is coming out of my birthday cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Happy birthday!
    You should probably have a look at the faq:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243345
    My suggestion would be to have a look on adverts.ie for a second hand bridge camera.
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/photography/196/q_bridge/

Edit:
    this one is asking €120, get one of your parents to see if you can negotiate it under 100 (assuming you're in Dublin)
    http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/fuji-finepix-s2800hd-14mp-18x-zoom-3-0-inch-lcd-screen-2gb-memory-card/1505954

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 rustbucket

Hi

Recently purchased nikon d3000 with 18-55 lens. Looking to get a lens suitable for shooting sports pics.

My budget is pretty low so looking at 2 options for 70-300mm lens

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on which one is better- Sigma or Tamron?

Have found 2 with autofocus features that are apparently compatible with the D3000

Sigma one for €139
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html

Interestingly the same one is being sold by cons cameras for €249. Non motorised version is €149

or Tamron one for €129

Any advice appreciated

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=2376&setcurrency=eur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

rustbucket wrote: »
    Hi

Recently purchased nikon d3000 with 18-55 lens. Looking to get a lens suitable for shooting sports pics.

My budget is pretty low so looking at 2 options for 70-300mm lens

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on which one is better- Sigma or Tamron?

Have found 2 with autofocus features that are apparently compatible with the D3000

Sigma one for €139
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html

Interestingly the same one is being sold by cons cameras for €249. Non motorised version is €149

or Tamron one for €129

Any advice appreciated

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=2376&setcurrency=eur

Hi I have the exact same set up as you 18-55 and I bought that sigma 70-300,I cannot not fault it from a zoom lens and the macro is great too very sharp! Now it depends on what sports your looking at if your trying to zoom into people and blur out the background neither lens will do that for you @300mm zoom the lowest F you will get down to is F5.6 and that will not do.If I had the money it be a Nikon 70-200 F2.8. going to the USA in the Sumer so I'm going trying to try get one there,
    To give you a better idea on the capabilities on each lens head on to Flickr.com and search for both lenses it will give you plenty to look at and a better idea which is better in the field your looking into.

Don't forget there are loads of good second hand lenses on adverts.ie
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Hi, recently got a Nikon D3000 in argos (on sale to € 339) it's a great camera but I only have the 18-55mm that come with the camera. I want to get another lens for wide angle shots but also a large zoom any lens like this? if not I wouldn't mind getting 2 if they're not too pricey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

There've been an awful lot of offers on the Panny GF3 w/ 14-42mm lens over the last week, and Panny are offering a £50 rebate on them too. Price is generally £199.99 after rebate, but Jessops have the GF3 + 14mm pancake lens + 14-42mm lens for £329.99 after rebate.

Seems to be a fantastic price and the two lens offer decent flexibility, anyone have any opinions on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 St3ph3n

Hey everyone got a Canon 550D recently, i'm a bit underwhelmed by the performance of the kit lens though! So i've decided to save up for a couple months and invest in a L series lens. Can anyone recommend a L series lens that'll serve as my 'walk around lens'?Also, in the future I plan to upgrade to a full frame DSLR so it would be great if the lens in question would be equally good without the 1.6 crop factor!Thanks any help would be appreciated! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

Hi,

I've a canon rebel xti. I'm using the 50mm 1.8 fs more than the other 2 lens' I have (box lens and 300mm) and I'm looking to upgrade at the minute.

I love the light on the nifty 50 and I'm looking to keep this sort of lighting effect on my new lens, but with zoom. I'm not sure what zoom range I need, hence the post. I mainly shoot people and some landscapes.

Is there any lens that you might recommend.

Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Sigma 18-50 2.8 macro is a good choice. It's not as bright as the 50mm 1.8 but its Sigma pro quality lens. I've had one before on a Nikon D200 and loved it on the crop sensor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

geoffraffe wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a canon rebel xti. I'm using the 50mm 1.8 fs more than the other 2 lens' I have (box lens and 300mm) and I'm looking to upgrade at the minute.

I love the light on the nifty 50 and I'm looking to keep this sort of lighting effect on my new lens, but with zoom. I'm not sure what zoom range I need, hence the post. I mainly shoot people and some landscapes.

Is there any lens that you might recommend.

Thanks so much.

For shooting portraits the nifty fifty is your man.

For the Landscapes you don't need fast glass as you will be stopping down for a wide DoF. I quite like the Sigma 10-20 on a cropped sensor. It's a good workhorse lens and great value for money. It can also be useful for group shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

St3ph3n wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a L series lens that'll serve as my 'walk around lens'?Also, in the future I plan to upgrade to a full frame DSLR so it would be great if the lens in question would be equally good without the 1.6 crop factor!Thanks any help would be appreciated! :)

Canon 24-70 f2.8 is the main lens for a lot of people
    alternative, if you don't mind not having f2.8 is the 24-105 f4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SSS2012

Heading to Latvia tomorrow..want to buy an DSLR...should I buy it in Dublin airport which is a little bit cheaper than in shops here or do I wait and buy it in Latvia or one of its neighbouring countries. I am also worried about insurance as I will be living between three different countries in one year! HELP!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

Hi all I'm going to Norway/Sweden to chase down the Northern Light aka Aurora Borealis in Oct/Nov, therefore I'd need a DSLR to capture this spectacular phenomenon. What comes in mind is my budget is very limited, talking about 500 - 600e maximum.

Done lots and lots of research on the internet and found out what I'd need is a good wide angel fast lens and a good camera body which can handle high exposure without exposing the noise and also be able to survive under -40 degree extreme weather.

By having absolutely ZERO knowledge on photographing, I'd love to hear some advise from everyone. And I would not mind to pay for a used gear cuz I'd only use it for capturing the Northern Light.

Thank you in advanced =)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

have you considered a film camera and use high iso film. good quality kit can be had for a low price.

other than that i would a suggest a sigma 17-35mm hsm lens and possibly some sort of nikon semi professional model camera.

it is very unlikely that you will pick up a 30mm f1.4 or f1.8 cheaply but keep an eye out and you might get lucky

sheesh wrote: »
    have you considered a film camera and use high iso film.

never thought of that but if it is right thing to do I'd do it. but the disadvantage of the film camera is after capturing the image u cant review it immediately and not as easy to transfer it on to my computer. thanks tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

Dont forget you'll need a tripod. This will take a chunk of your budget as you'll need a good one.
    DylanK wrote: »
    Hi all I'm going to Norway/Sweden to chase down the Northern Light aka Aurora Borealis in Oct/Nov, therefore I'd need a DSLR to capture this spectacular phenomenon. What comes in mind is my budget is very limited, talking about 500 - 600e maximum.

Done lots and lots of research on the internet and found out what I'd need is a good wide angel fast lens and a good camera body which can handle high exposure without exposing the noise and also be able to survive under -40 degree extreme weather.

By having absolutely ZERO knowledge on photographing, I'd love to hear some advise from everyone. And I would not mind to pay for a used gear cuz I'd only use it for capturing the Northern Light.

Thank you in advanced =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Plenty of additional batteries too. Low temps will drain them a lot faster than normal conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Hi there, was looking for a camera that basically does what it says on tin! I have 3 kids so I need to just point and shoot. And posssibly be bounce proof as well as the midgets love to take pics. I saw one in Currys, Kodak easyshare M522 for €59.98 - its 14mp, what do you think? My previous camera is a canon ixus which was fine but had too many extras that I just never used. Thanks - help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah get that one. Sure it's Kodak, they are a big company and clearly know what they are doing, especially in the digital camera market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

So I've been looking at amazon.de for a new DSLR, just wondering has anyone here bought from them and also would I be covered under warranty if I do buy from them?

sheesh wrote: »
    have you considered a film camera and use high iso film. good quality kit can be had for a low price.

other than that i would a suggest a sigma 17-35mm hsm lens and possibly some sort of nikon semi professional model camera.

it is very unlikely that you will pick up a 30mm f1.4 or f1.8 cheaply but keep an eye out and you might get lucky

thinking of combine Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 hsm Lens with Nikon D70? will that work out fine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Hey guys thinking of getting a DSLR camera, want to get into photography but dont have much of an idea of what to go for, looking to spend no more than €700. Any ideas? Would be willing to buy a second hand one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

you should be able to pick yourself up a canon 600d or 550d from adverts for under that price. you'd be able to shoot decent enough quality video then too and spend the remainder of your budget on some extra gear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

indough wrote: »
    you should be able to pick yourself up a canon 600d or 550d from adverts for under that price. you'd be able to shoot decent enough quality video then too and spend the remainder of your budget on some extra gear.

Thanks, although would the d90 not be better since the video quality is better? I was recommended by a friend to go for one with decent video potential. What about this ad? http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/nikon-d90-only-body-for-sale/1533506#comment_7504321

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

im not an expert by any stretch if the imagination but from what ive read on dslr video sites the nikons shoot video in 720 vs 1080 for the canons. the panasonic gh2's have a good rep for video. someone else will more than likely be able to give better advice. anyway just bear in mind if you do go for a canon the only major difference between the 550d and 600d is the flip out screen on the latter. on that basis might not be worth the extra cash unless you can pick up a good deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Mods please move if there is a more appropriate forum for this, I had a read through the charter and this seems like the right place.

Just posting this for a friend of mine, he is looking for a (preferably) new Polaroid camera. He has done some shopping online and found a One 600 for €120. Just wondering does anyone have any recommendations on a particular camera, and where he could source the cheapest one? He would ideally prefer a new one.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

coco_lola wrote: »
    Mods please move if there is a more appropriate forum for this, I had a read through the charter and this seems like the right place.

Just posting this for a friend of mine, he is looking for a (preferably) new Polaroid camera. He has done some shopping online and found a One 600 for €120. Just wondering does anyone have any recommendations on a particular camera, and where he could source the cheapest one? He would ideally prefer a new one.

Thanks!

Don't get polaroid. Get one of the Fuji Instax cameras instead. You can get polaroid film nowadays only from the impossible project, which started manufacturing pola film when polaroid itself discontinued it. They've never really managed to make film to the same quality as the old polaroid stuff, though some people like it, and it's quite pricey. The instax cameras you can get retail here (try gunns on wexford street) and the film is pretty reasonable.

Note that you might see polaroid branded cameras new with polaroid branded film, but they're just re-badged instax mini cameras being sold at a markup.

Advertisement