Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

blackbelt wrote: »
    Emmet Bolton marking Graham Reilly, I think the ball now has to be pumped into that Meath full forward line.No disrespect to Reilly but on paper I would think Bolton would get the measure of him.

The one player Meath will miss is Seamus Kenny. He did a greta job on Bolton last year in the qualifier game and it was only when Kenny went off injured that Bolton came into the game and scored 1-1 I think it was.

Last year's match was a tactical disaster for Kildare. Starting Roli ahead of O'Connor. Moving JD back to the half-back line as the free man. Switching Kavanagh out the field and moving Hugh Lynch inside. Bringing on Sean Hurley and then taking him off again within ten minutes despite not on ball being kicked in his direction. Whatever chance Kildare are to have in any potential future match with Dublin, the same errors cannot be repeated. I'd hope that we won't be as tactically naieve this year but we have to get over Meath first and no one will be taking that for granted.

When it comes down to it though, I think Dublin just have better footballers than Kildare and it showed. Kildare are hugely committed and will stick their heads where other county players wouldn't but, when they come up against that extra bit of class, that Dublin, Cork, Kerry and Tyrone tend to have, they falter.

They'll push Meath aside I suspect with no problem this weekend but the big test is going to be Dublin in the next round. There's only so much training McGeeney can give these lads. The skill has to be there as well and I think alot of them are missing the top level of class they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Kildare beat tyrone this year....

nothing in it in the two games between donegal and down, and Kildare are in better shape now than then in my opinion.

I put Kerry and Dublin and maybe Cork ahead of Kiladre but on our day we could beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Lemlin wrote: »
    The one player Meath will miss is Seamus Kenny. He did a greta job on Bolton last year in the qualifier game and it was only when Kenny went off injured that Bolton came into the game and scored 1-1 I think it was.

Bolton did have another goal chance prior to Kenny going off which he put over the bar.

df1985 wrote: »
    Kildare beat tyrone this year....

nothing in it in the two games between donegal and down, and Kildare are in better shape now than then in my opinion.

I put Kerry and Dublin and maybe Cork ahead of Kiladre but on our day we could beat them.

I'm talking about championship football. Some teams, including Tyrone, tend to take the League a bit less seriously than championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

blackbelt wrote: »
    Emmet Bolton marking Graham Reilly, I think the ball now has to be pumped into that Meath full forward line.

The full forward line won't find it too easy either, we have two former all stars in our full back line!

The more I think about it the more confident I am getting. Still though, meath are meath and they always seem to up their game for Kildare. I'll go for Kildare by four

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

Seanie will get 5 mins in the first half today and won't be playing tomorrow in Croke park!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

So his first game will be when he kicks the winning point in the Leinster Final against Dublin??

(You heard it hear first folks)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Tyrone take even the McKenna Cup deathly serious. Kildare just are a better team than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

I'd like to see Kildare extend themselves beyond 2nd gear tomorrow and really give the Royals a beating they or we wont forget :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Curlz24 wrote: »
    Seanie will get 5 mins in the first half today and won't be playing tomorrow in Croke park!
    What makes you think he won't be playing tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If Kildare took the league deathly serious, they wouldn't be in Division 2. They do play at full tilt but they tend to use the league for experimenting with new players.

He didn't say Kildare take the league seriously, they don't.

Mickey Harte takes the league very seriously indeed - as an even cursory knowledge of the man would inform you - and has simply had second tier standard players for a while at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

I know for a fact!

He has now played 1min of hurling here in Clane for Coill Dubh and will be eligible for selection but won't line out against Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

I heard he didn't even last a minute, 35 seconds!

Kildare being labelled the 'Lily Mongrels' in one particularly poor image I see doing the rounds on Facebook.

The majority in Kildare don't give two hoots what anybody calls them to be honest. Move on. Its done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The conspiracy theorist in me would worry that Kildare are going to get a lot more bad refereeing decisions go against us now that we have pissed off top brass.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The conspiracy theorist in me would worry that Kildare are going to get a lot more bad refereeing decisions go against us now that we have pissed off top brass.

No different to every other year for us though, with disallowed goals and the like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Any discussion for the senior championship match can be carried out in the match thread anyone wanting to troll these forums any more will be dealt with in line with the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

And to think we could have built our hurling team around him rather than doing away with it. Is he still eligable to hurl with Cavan if we ever get our team back? Someone should make representations, we cant let this hurling talent slip away. We need everyone on board!!!! Rules can be bent to suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Curlz24 wrote: »

I know for a fact!

He has now played 1min of hurling here in Clane for Coill Dubh and will be eligible for selection but won't line out against Meath.

One hundred percent true. Jonhston came on for 45 seconds and now we shuld see him starting tomorrow.
    Cant wait to see him burying a goal in the hill 16 end!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

This whole sideshow has undermined Kildare. When they are dumped out of the championship what will happen then. They probably will beat Meath and reach the final in a poor Leinster championship, be defeated by Dublin and then lose to the next good team the play in the qualifiers.

The pressure is all on Kildare now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Seanie is a lily white and we will cheer as he buries bad memories of brutal football in cavan

DB10 wrote: »
    This whole sideshow has undermined Kildare. When they are dumped out of the championship what will happen then. They probably will beat Meath and reach the final in a poor Leinster championship, be defeated by Dublin and then lose to the next good team the play in the qualifiers.

The pressure is all on Kildare now.
    ZZZZZZZZZZ

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Johnston actually has a poor goalscoring record. Its mostly hollywood points he scores. He can kick a great score in fairness to him. He wont be sharp enough now though Id say, no match fitness.

Johnston actually has a poor goalscoring record. Its mostly hollywood points he scores. He can kick a great score in fairness to him. He wont be sharp enough now though Id say, no match fitness.

Johnston has been training harder than probably most from what I have heard!!

If anything all this negative Kildare stuff is blowing off players backs they are focused and will do talking on the pitch now!!

So do people begrudge Kildare success that much?? PATHETIC lads absolutely pathetic

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hes been training as hard as the rest of them,taking hits from and getting stuck into the best of them.
    As for hollywood points? lol any of them could have won Kildare the Leinster final last year,he just might be the difference this year.
    I say fcuk the begrudgers,the gaa have made Seanie jump through hoops.
    Someone mentioned people on facebook slating Kildare, the majority of which probably wouldnt have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Hate to say it but this puts Kildare GAA in a very bad light. Surely someone should have realised a stunt like this would attract negative coverage from all sides.
    I know I'll probably get a backlash from people thinking I'm only saying this because of who they are playing tomorrow but I can assure you that is not the case.
    I was actually in favour of the transfer and thought Johnston was treated unfairly by the GAA because his was a high profile case.
    But what was done today was an absolute disgrace to the principles that most GAA people hold high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Felexicon wrote: »
    Hate to say it but this puts Kildare GAA in a very bad light. Surely someone should have realised a stunt like this would attract negative coverage from all sides.
    I know I'll probably get a backlash from people thinking I'm only saying this because of who they are playing tomorrow but I can assure you that is not the case.
    I was actually in favour of the transfer and thought Johnston was treated unfairly by the GAA because his was a high profile case.
    But what was done today was an absolute disgrace to the principles that most GAA people hold high.
    What the CCCC done to that man is nothing short of a disgrace, they made him jump through hoops. They deliberately delayed approving his transfer until after Kevins had played in the Kildare Championship.

I agree today was a farce as well but the GAA have shot themselves in the foot here and its good to see an amateur footballer getting the last laugh.

Johnston does not get paid, he wants to play football at the highest level and Cavan have denied him this.

The real losers in all of this is Cavan supporters and the Cavan Gaels club.

Do you ever think through these comments you post? Because it doesn't appear so.

If Johnston wanted to bury such memories of Cavan football, why did he originally try to move and stay with his club?

And if Cavan football is as brutal as you say, how did our juniors go up to your home patch last Wednesday night and give your juniors a thumping? Your juniors that have been training with the Kildare senior team.

I'm getting sick and tired of your endless jibes at Cavan and Cavan football. The player ye have taken wasn't wanted or needed by the Cavan panel so get over it.

Also, remember in the back of your mind that he wouldn't be a Lilywhite but for that fact and said so himself so your argument that he moved to bury anything is as ludicrous as your other posts on here.

At this stage, I'm tired of reading that he's a Cavan this and Cavan that from supporters of both counties, and from reading crap like your opinion above.

To be honest, I couldn't care who wins today because I'm hoping Dublin will whip either of yas into shape.
    Lemlin you use here to escape the fact that Cavan are brutal absolutely terrible and try to lord it over people back to Cavan thread with ya ;)

Also Dublin have to beat Wexford to get to Meath or Kildare!!! But sure you know it all I suppose!! Although Dublin will prob more likely will beat Wexford ya never know Wexford nearly did a job on them last year

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

As for supple cop on why would Kildare want dublins third choice keeper? Supple is a classic example of a drama queen saying I'm loyal to Dublin etc which is waffle IMO if any soccer team would offer him a contract he would take it you can guarantee that. Supple isn't fit to clean cluxtons boots and feels the need to cry wolf to media for a bit of attention!!!

Your posting waffle, he had just signed a 3 year contract when he decided to quit. He has since been offered many contracts but refused them all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I will dish out bans if people continue to use the GAA forum to go through their personal differences, if you want to vent on a topic, head over to Ranting and Raving or PM each other.

Advertisement