Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever won anyone over with a big romantic gesture?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

It's a chick flick staple. Girl meets guy, but doesn't like him right away. Guy is persistant, makes some huge gesture, and she falls in love with him.

In reality, I think it's more likely that the guy will come across as creepy and stalkerish!

Nonetheless, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried any such gestures, and whether they worked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Blisterman wrote: »
    It's a chick flick staple. Girl meets guy, but doesn't like him right away. Guy is persistant, makes some huge gesture, and she falls in love with him.

In reality, I think it's more likely that the guy will come across as creepy and stalkerish!

Nonetheless, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried any such gestures, and whether they worked.

I think at times in some case's that atitude is a bit over sensitive and almost imaturity to asume a persons a stalker tho i think the hole dream can come true thing is a load of shiote

never really made that kinda effort always just come up with quirky date venues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Nope, all of my romantic gestures generally fail.

I did manage to get a girl once by leave a present and note secretly in her pocket, but that was such a short relationship I don't even count it as one.

I generally find big gestures only work for a short while otherwise you wouldn't really need them to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

small ones work wonders, something personal and intimate is way more effective than some showy thing in front of people or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

krudler wrote: »
    small ones work wonders, something personal and intimate is way more effective than some showy thing in front of people or whatever.
    They really do. I love doing things like making little gifts or planning surprises for people.

IMO, neither kind are likely to make someone fall for you if it's not there already, but in a relationship small intimate gestures can be lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If I make a big romantic gesture it's greeted with suspicion and I get the third degree from the missus as she assumes I've done something to be guilty about.
    Small gestures are the way to go and always at unexpected times.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

G86 wrote: »
    They really do. I love doing things like making little gifts or planning surprises for people.

IMO, neither kind are likely to make someone fall for you if it's not there already, but in a relationship small intimate gestures can be lovely :)

Yes, in a relationship only!

If I'm not attracted to someone there's nothing romantic he can do to "win me over". Big things would be stalkerish; small things are just creepy.

If I don't know the guy exists, I suppose it could work to get my attention. Once a guy in my apartment building left a note on the machine I was using in the laundry room! Something along the lines of...he didn't realise angels were living in the building. Plus his email address. There was only one guy in the room while I was in there previously so it must have been him! We didn't get together, but it might have worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I once missed a United/Arsenal game for a girl, that was the biggest romantic gesture I could ever make :pac:

Seriously though, I favour small gestures. Things that show you are thinking of the person.

Edit: I did actually miss that game btw. That she would ask such a thing shows why we didn't work out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I completely avoid big romantic gestures, save the big one for a proposal. Have a number of small ones ready to go in the event of an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

All depends on who the person is. What's a small gesture for one person is a big gesture to another...

Just genuinely curious as to what constitutes a big gesture? A surprise week away?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I once missed a United/Arsenal game for a girl, that was the biggest romantic gesture I could ever make :pac:

Been there, done that. Not doing it again. From now on all my girlfriends will be expected to respect my religious beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

All depends on who the person is. What's a small gesture for one person is a big gesture to another...

Just genuinely curious as to what constitutes a big gesture? A surprise week away?

I took my ex on weekends and stuff for no reason other than we could go and I wanted to do it, she did the same for me a few times, its the little things you remember though. We used to work together when we first met and I used to leave her "work related" printouts of stuff on her desk with a post it note stuck between the pges telling her she looked pretty that day, that kinda mush :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

From experience, unless you are really sure the girl likes you, you may very well end up making a total fool of yourself.

Recently, I got to know this girl that I got to really like. She would give me lifts home from a course we were doing.

But I made the decision to ask her to meet for coffee and I was going to surprise her with a card saying thank you for all the lifts with a €50 voucher for HMV. Not a exactly a big romantic gesture. Anyway, she kinda fogged me off so she lost out on coffee and voucher.

In hindsight, she may have been playing on the attention I was giving her more so than liking me back. So I am glad she didn't meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Unfortunately, the only way I've 'won someone over' was by sharing a bottle of Jager with her in the back of a car, and then dropping the paw in the nightclub.

I've done a few romantic gestures since to keep her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I remember a story of a girl who got a written poem from a guy on a Dublin bus a few years ago and she thought it was great, dunno if they went out afterwards though.

I wonder which number bus it was on, certainly not any I've been on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I think the romantic gestures are pointless unless you think she likes you in some way, shape or form. Because if they dont they will prob dust you off their shoulder battering your confidence. Good to be persistant but dont hammer on it too hard!

Most romantic thing I ever done was only small, was only seeing this girl for 2-3 weeks and was heading off on holidays and I hid the new script CD in her bedroom that she was dying to get and just sent her a txt a day later to tell her to look in her drawer. Also she went into hospital for a small operation while I was away so I had flowers delivered to the house.

Not much but the type of stuff she loved I guess coz she would bang onto all her friends about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

sent a girl a bunch of flowers before.........put it this way i'll never do it again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There a girl I fancied in the pub I worked in (about 8 or 10 years ago). Got her address from her bro, and sent her a rose on valentines day. She went for a drink in said pub on her day off with her ex the next day I was in work, so that shot down all hopes :(

Haven't done anything similar since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My take would be this; breaking down the term "romantic gesture", one requires the romance element to some degree or the gesture falls flat. IME it'll rarely get a woman in the first place and almost never gets one back, but small ones will keep her.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Er, I've never made a romantic gesture for my girlfriend, big or small... is she going to leave me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Er, I've never made a romantic gesture for my girlfriend, big or small... is she going to leave me? :(

I suspect you probably have but you just dont know it. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I don't need big romantic gestures, it's the small ones that warm my heart.

Like once work was crazy and I was working all hours, the OH called and told me to come down to the lobby where he met me with sandwiches & coffee, because he knew I wouldn't get to leave the office to eat.

Or again because of us both working crazy hours I'd find post-its on my pillow with random stuff scribbled on them.

Or getting these stupid wooden keyrings in the shape of a heart and having our names written on them.

Anyone can make a big gesture of the standard Hollywood variety, small gestures are so much more thoughtful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The way I got my 'in' with the current g/f was kind of romantic I guess.

I was in the pub with a friend and an old work colleague of his dropped in for a while and then a while later a really good looking girl came in that turned out to be a friend of this other girl. When the other girl and my friend went out for a smoke we got talking and kept talking for a few hours. She was sober and I was sober'ish. Anyway she was going home early as we left the bar. She said she was walking home about a 30 min walk, I offered to pay for a taxi for her, she refused. Said she would walk or get a bus. I told her if she was walking she could take my jacket. She did and she also took my number to return it...we've been going out for 3 months now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I love to pamper my girlfriend after she's had a stressful day at work. I get her to text me when she's leaving so I can get the hot tap running, swirl around the foam and bubbles and time everything perfectly so the moment she walks through the door the dishes are piled up and waiting for her.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Wompa1 wrote: »

I was in the pub with a friend and an old work colleague of his dropped in for a while and then a while later a really good looking girl came in that turned out to be a friend of this other girl. When the other girl and my friend went out for a smoke we got talking and kept talking for a few hours. She was sober and I was sober'ish. Anyway she was going home early as we left the bar. She said she was walking home about a 30 min walk, I offered to pay for a taxi for her, she refused. Said she would walk or get a bus. I told her if she was walking she could take my jacket. She did and she also took my number to return it...we've been going out for 3 months now

Nice!!! Good on ya mate.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Wompa1 wrote: »

It's the simple things that work!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Once went to a nightclub with a girl and bought a bottle of champagne, it worked, got a ride, but it would have been cheaper to have a w-**k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

sgb wrote: »
    Once went to a nightclub with a girl and bought a bottle of champagne, it worked, got a ride, but it would have been cheaper to have a w-**k

Ya,because romance is about getting a girl drunk enough to sleep with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

sgb wrote: »

A true Knight in Shining Armor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Ya,because romance is about getting a girl drunk enough to sleep with you.

where'd he say drunk? have to say a bottle of Champagne in a club is a magnet! esp in coppers!

After 12 pubs at christmas doing shots in coppers (did i need more drink!?) decided to get a bottle between us, bit left and so i was drinking from the bottle (classy!) and walking through and man oh man!! haha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

It's a mixed cassette tape all the way for me(well back in the good old days it was anyway).:pac:

I would agree with previous posters about that it's the small gestures that count.

Advertisement