Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tourist Route Schemes (National Secondaries)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

From my recolation this plan has been in the works since the early nineties. Besides, luddites, sweetman at all, developers wanting it to go west of the village to open up land for development, and no money. Why did it take so long to get to a hearing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A Moycullen Bypass was first planned around 40 years ago. What they may well do is get this through planning, complete the CPOs at the east end of the scheme , widen the road either side of that bridge by knocking walls and putting in fencing etc and abandon the scheme at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Storm2

antoobrien wrote: »
    203459.jpg

I know I'm going off topic here (shoot me now :rolleyes: ) but where did that map extract come from? Seeing Local Road numbers on a map is immensely satisfying.

Going on topic, though I've never been to Dingle, if I were to head down there now and head down again in 10-15 years time I would probably enjoy the former. The bends are what makes it good fun IMHO. Straights are more useful for Mr. Farmer and Mrs. Safety Conscious Mother :P but for driving fun you have the bends to keep you awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Was driving on the Derrylea Realignment (Single Type 3) approaching Clifden on the N59 - it's 3.8km (according to this) was a pleasure to drive on.

More please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Storm2 wrote: »
    I know I'm going off topic here (shoot me now :rolleyes: ) but where did that map extract come from? Seeing Local Road numbers on a map is immensely satisfying.

It looks like an OSI map, it was taken from the scheme information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Storm2 wrote: »

That's an extract of an OSi 1:50,000 Discovery Series map, with data overlaid on top. Those Local Road numbers aren't on the OSi map, they're part of the overlay (along with the proposed road alignment etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

If this takes the traffic off the section of the N59 immediately south of Moycullen then these works would be very welcome. That is a nasty stretch of road on a bike. Ideally they could close that stretch to through motor traffic altogether and use it as a walking and cycling route. Then the main issue would be to tackle the short section after the Glenlo Abbey hotel and we would have a half decent commuter cycling route from Galway to Moycullen.

Ideally if they get the finger out and do the Greenway from Galway to Cliftden it would offer an even better option. You can see the line of old railway marked in that map. Given that it runs not far from the shore of the lake/river I would imagine the gradient isn't bad on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Not sure if it fits in here but they've found €2m for the N67 Ballinderreen-Kinvara
    Funding of over two million euro has been allocated to improve and extend the N67 Ballinderreen to Kinvara route.

Construction on the first phase of the scheme, a point 7 kilometre section of the route at Pollagh is expected to get underway soon.

Design work and land acquisition will continue on the remainder of the scheme and the development will include a cycle track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Was driving on the Derrylea Realignment (Single Type 3) approaching Clifden on the N59 - it's 3.8km (according to this) was a pleasure to drive on.

More please! :D

More please indeed. Though I am still scarred from the length of delays caused by the series of traffic lights during work on that stretch. People lost years of their lives :D

Sponge Bob, where are the wind farms you speak of to be located, just out of curiosity?

That chicane, the bridge and dip are three features I won't miss from that road. The rest is located between Moycullen and Recess :D N59 is in serious need of TLC upgrading.

johngalway wrote: »
    Sponge Bob, where are the wind farms you speak of to be located, just out of curiosity?

Generally east of Maam and west of Moycullen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The N56 between Glenties and Dunglow needs a lot of work - not only is it tortouosly twisty in places but it's very narrow too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The N56 between Glenties and Dunglow needs a lot of work - not only is it tortouosly twisty in places but it's very narrow too.

One realignment is fairly well underway and the CPO application for another is in and was meant to be decided by last week but has had its date changed to the end of next month:

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/KA0021.htm

The most easterly third of the Galway N59 scheme ( ie the Oughterard- Maam Cross section extracted from Oughterard - Clifden) is going into An Bord Pleanála next week.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/28142-significant-progress-upgrading-road-oughterard-maam-cross

With another part of Donegal thru An Bord Pleanála here are the 'live' schemes right now.

1. Westport to Newport and Newport to Mulranny Mayo c.20km N59
    2. West of Glenties to south of Dungloe Donegal c20km N56
    3 West of Oughterard to Maam Cross Galway c.15km N59
    4. Annascaul to Gortbreagoge c.4km N86

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I understand that An Bord Pleanala have rejected the N86 proposals as submitted. The NRA/Kerry Co. Co. have been told to scale back the design and take out the cycle paths and put them somewhere else.

I haven't seen the full decision yet but if confirmed it would be a huge victory for common sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I understand that An Bord Pleanala have rejected the N86 proposals as submitted. The NRA/Kerry Co. Co. have been told to scale back the design and take out the cycle paths and put them somewhere else.

I haven't seen the full decision yet but if confirmed it would be a huge victory for common sense.

This likely means it won't happen at all, as the contract must start before a set date (Sponge will know, I can't remember).

I'd find it odd that their decisions would be based on the cyclepaths, though, as they're standard on these schemes and others have gone through ABP.

End 2013 to start digging onsite I believe although I have also heard 2014.

Around 20km of the N56 and 21km of the N59 ( in Mayo) is through an Bord Pleanála (both mainly since July) with another 18-19 km in Galway going to a hearing shortly. The Kerry fragment around Annascaul could lose out entirely.

There are non T3 schemes through planning with ABP on those roads too, eg Mountcharles - Inver in Donegal and the Moycullen bypass in Galway later this month I would think.

MYOB wrote: »

I'd find it odd that their decisions would be based on the cyclepaths, though, as they're standard on these schemes and others have gone through ABP.

How are cycle paths "standard"? Could you be confusing hard shoulders with cycle paths? What other schemes?

You cannot put cyclists on a Type 3, too narrow. Why not read the WHOLE thread. Eamon Ryan wanted cycle track(s) on BOTH sides IIRC. :)

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/roadstransport/majorprojects/Dungloe-Glenties.htm

Type 3 Single Carriageway (T3SC) Pilot Project
    Lightly trafficked national secondary routes on the western seaboard often pass through highly scenic and environmentally sensitive areas. Such routes are often poorly aligned and narrow with frequent junctions/ accesses. Full scale improvements to reduced single or standard single carriageway standard would be difficult to justify from an economic perspective and would most likely result in unacceptable environmental impact. The Type 3 Single Carriageway road type (T3SC) is a lower standard than the reduced single carriageway and is being considered as an alternative option for improvements to these routes that takes into account both the low traffic volumes and the receiving environment.
    The section of the existing N56 from Dungloe to the Kilraine junction south of Glenties fits the criteria that the T3SC is aimed at. An analysis of traffic suggested it would be suitable as a T3SC pilot project and, following an application by Donegal County Council, it has been selected by the National Roads Authority as one of four pilot sites nationwide.

Description of the Project
    The proposed project involves the design and construction of approximately 27km of new National Secondary Road from Dungloe to the Kilraine junction south of Glenties. The scheme also includes the provision of a cycletrack for it’s full lengt

How are cycle paths "standard"? Could you be confusing hard shoulders with cycle paths? What other schemes?

This scheme is a Type III single carriageway, an NRA standard that includes off-road cycle lanes.

TIIIs have already been built.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    This scheme is a Type III single carriageway, an NRA standard that includes off-road cycle lanes.

TIIIs have already been built.

Where? The disputed "standard" only dates from march (IIRC)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Where? The disputed "standard" only dates from march (IIRC)

There's a section of Type 3 just east of Clifden on the N59, complete with offline cycle paths. I've cycled it myself and it's not bad from the perspective of a two-wheeled road user.

/csd

csd wrote: »
    There's a section of Type 3 just east of Clifden on the N59, complete with offline cycle paths. I've cycled it myself and it's not bad from the perspective of a two-wheeled road user.

/csd

That has been in place for a few years and as you say is only a section in fact I need to check but in that case there may have an old section of abandoned road already in place. It has its origins in a local political initiative it did not "come" from the NRA.

If the N56, N59, N86 are pilot schemes for the new "standard" then where are the others that MYOB refers to? And why were they not considered "pilots"?

That has been in place for a few years and as you say is only a section in fact I need to check but in that case there may have an old section of abandoned road already in place. It has its origins in a local political initiative it did not "come" from the NRA.

That section is the Original type 3 pilot and the full standard was written into the design manual around when it was built. I believe the first Type 3 'standard' was published in early 2009 and the latest iteration or restatement of the Type 3 standard is from late 2011. The lane widths in this standard are a mere 3m each when most lanes widths are 3.5m or 3.65m

See > http://nrastandards.nra.ie/road-design-construction-standards/func-startdown/453

As we had a green coalition Derrylea was overendowed with cycle tracks but importantly the Design and Tendering of the Derrylea section predates the publication of the first standard....about when the diggers went onsite in early 2009 in fact. > http://www.willsbros.com/Road_and_Bridge_Construction/102/project-page.html

Type 3 is for lightly trafficked sub 5k Aadt roads and not always in touristy areas. The road type can also be severely cambered (by design) which militates against leisure cycling but which would be good fun for triathletes. While Type3 is twistier there is not so much of an issue as the low traffic volumes mean that overtaking opportunities are still there albeit separated somewhat.

I believe it is a good and practical standard given all the considerations but it does require that pedestrians and cyclists are taken off the road to the side for their own good. If you think about it logically a Type 2 road such as the section west of Roscahill does have room for pedestrians and cyclists within the overall carriageway cross section but it is not particularly comfortable for them.

I would personally argue that in tourist areas Type 2 should NOT be used at all ( eg Moycullen to Oughterard) and that Type 3 with full separation of peds and cyclists offline should be the standard .....or else Type 1 with wide hard shoulders. The Moycullen Bypass will be Type 1 and the section to around Roscahill is a half arsed type 1 which should be fully upgraded online to Type 1 . Thereafter go for Type 3 and separate out the pedestrians, this includes, to my mind, a future Oughterard Bypass as the peds and cyclists can always go offline into the town on the old road meaning the number of vehicles bypassing Oughterard will be quite low.

The problem with offline Type 1 is that it is an each way bet for conversion to Type 3 Dual ( 2+1) in future if traffic patterns dictate so as this is a rather trivial upgrade. This means the hard shoulders would disappear. You will have the exact same separation issues with Type 2 DUAL carriageway ...ie there is insufficent room for cyclists and pedestrians because Type 2 DC is basically a Type 1 Single with cars driving on the hard shoulder and no side openings save at proper junctions. Too tight for other potential users.

However these Type 2 Duals are built offline and the old road is still available while Type 3 duals or 2+1 are retrofits, the NRA will not build any nerw Type 3 Dual ( 2+1) in future and only really built 1 of them ( in Monaghan) in the past.

As there will be a revisitation of the County Development Plan soon you should take it up with them at that stage. Before you sharpen your quill you should read the BIBLE , > here http://www.nra.ie/RepositoryforPublicationsInfo/file,17885,en.pdf (41Mb) and especially section 9 of the bible. :)

And remember there are only 3 Single Types and 3 Dual Types in the design manual (apart from the 3 Type 1 Dual Motorway 'variants ' D2M D2 Wide M and D2 Urban M which are of no concern to respectable cyclists )

The Bible tells us that

Design Speed Type of Road Capacity (AADT) for Level of Service D Edge Treatment
    85 Type 3 Single (6.0m) Carriageway S2 5,000 0.5m hard strips
    100 Type 2 Single (7.0m) Carriageway S2 8,600 0.5m hard strips
    100 Type 1 Single (7.3m) Carriageway S2 11,600 2.5m hard shoulders
    100 Type 3 Dual (7.0m + 3.5m) Primarily for retro fit projects 14,000 1.0m hard strips
    120 Type 2 Dual Dual * 2 Lane Carriageways (2 x 7.0m) 20,000 0.5m hard strips
    120 Type 1 Dual Dual 2 Lane Carriageways (2 x 7.0m) 38,100 2.5m hard shoulders
    120 Standard Motorway 2 Lane (7.0m) (D2M) 44,100 2.5m hard shoulders
    120 Wide Motorway 2 Lane (7.5m) (D2M)55,500 3m hard shoulders

Ok we may be talking across each other. At the oral hearing the scheme was stated to be based on a document titled "Interim Advice Note 03/2012" this is dated February 2012.

I think that there is no cycling provision 'within' the standard and that it may be a case by case direction. What you need to know is that there are only 5 road standards in effect and that all designs comply to them...even regional roads.

Irish Times has it this morning

Scenic road scheme must be redesigned, says planning board

ANNE LUCEY
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1112/1224326473671.html

Attaching the ABP Letter to Kerry County Council.

If the greenway proceeds separately west of Oughterard is there any need for cycling lanes along the N59 save where the road is built on the old railway...and even then?

I think the N86 had cycle lanes on both sides...28m land take for 7m of roadway is a hell of a lot.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If the greenway proceeds separately west of Oughterard is there any need for cycling lanes along the N59 save where the road is built on the old railway...and even then?

I think the N86 had cycle lanes on both sides...28m land take for 7m of roadway is a hell of a lot.

No there are alternatives available pretty much anywhere the N59 is built on the old railway. If there is a parallel greenway, then we are looking at a situation where we probably don't want the faster sports cyclists using it and really they should be on any available main roads. In any case marking cycle lanes immediately adjacent to 100km/h traffic is not in my view a defensible treatment. We've already had this discussion and for the moment hard shoulders have more going for them in these situations. There might be places where there are schools where more considered solutions might be needed, but on the other hand schools should not be located immediately adjacent to 100km/h traffic either.

The N86 was to have a mix of both 2-way cycle track on one side in some places and 1-way on both sides in others.

Advertisement