Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

This article from the IT underlines the importance of getting a decent MSA network built as quickly as possible:
    ONE IN five road deaths is caused by driver fatigue, according to the Road Safety Authority. RSA chief executive Noel Brett said research showed that driving while fatigued was as dangerous as driving at the current drink-driving limits.

He said people needed to be aware when they were tired and should take a break. He stressed it was not safe to open the window or turn on the radio and continue driving.

“All of the inter-urban motorways have signage and distances to the closest services and most of them are within a kilometre or two from the turn-off.”

The RSA is concerned that links between driver fatigue and collisions are under-reported. Studies it had carried found one driver in 10 in Ireland had fallen asleep at the wheel. Falling asleep for three seconds at the motorway speed limit of 120km/h would result in a car travelling 100 metres uncontrolled.

Garda Chief Supt Gabriel McIntyre said: “We pay particular attention to the area of driver fatigue. We appeal to motorists to use service stations that are on motorways and to pull into a safe location as well if you want to take a rest.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0728/1224301501292.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

From the article:
    “All of the inter-urban motorways have signage and distances to the closest services and most of them are within a kilometre or two from the turn-off.”
    That's exactly what I have issue with.
    They DON'T have signage TO the closest services

They have signage to leave the motorway, and then nothing.
    Lots of roundabouts and junctions and NO more lovely brown signs.
    Better still, there are often no distances on the signs at junctions off a motorway so you can't even tell where the nearest town is let alone which town may have some services of interest!!
    Fuppin bonkers!!

You could erect a few more brown signs to guide you on your way beyond every junction on the motorway system for less than the cost to the taxpayer of dealing with the medical costs of a few severe accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I stopped off at the M7 J14 Mayfield services last week and thought it was great.
    A nice place to stop / relax and get refreshed for the next part of the journey.
    One observation though. I think this service area will be very popular and i can see it becoming congested in the future.
    The indoor area is not nearly as big as the services on the M1 and when i stopped off the second time on Friday afternoon, all the indoor tables were occupied.

Maybe when more services open along the M7 it will spread the business out a bit, but if it stays as the only real option on this road, then it will be very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Kumsheen wrote: »
    I stopped off at the M7 J14 Mayfield services last week and thought it was great.
    A nice place to stop / relax and get refreshed for the next part of the journey.
    One observation though. I think this service area will be very popular and i can see it becoming congested in the future.
    The indoor area is not nearly as big as the services on the M1 and when i stopped off the second time on Friday afternoon, all the indoor tables were occupied.

Maybe when more services open along the M7 it will spread the business out a bit, but if it stays as the only real option on this road, then it will be very busy.

Midway Portlaoise (even if not 24 hour, its open when the roads are busy)
    Cashel Services
    Rathcoole

All of these are right by the Motorways. Could we use a few more? Of course, but I think we have the essentials now.

Midway Portlaoise (even if not 24 hour, its open when the roads are busy)
    Cashel Services
    Rathcoole

All of these are right by the Motorways. Could we use a few more? Of course, but I think we have the essentials now.
    there is need for more.

Travelling up from Cork to Cavan at christmas late in the evening there was nowhere on the M8/ M7 to stop for a pee (pre Monastirevin admittedly but even now you cant really time the calls of nature).
    I pulled in at an Esso somewhere on the N7 (where its 3 lanes) and not a toilet to be seen.
    Down the road I found a reasonably large topaz, but it was all locked up. Think that was up around citywest direction far enough off the road.

Ended up peeing in the snow behind the petrol station as I wasnt going to be able to hold for another 2 hours!!
    (the state of the utter abysmal snow clearing efforts in Dublin are another topic altogether - how I didnt crash on the N7/ M50 or back roads to the station I'll never know)

Anyhow the point I'm making is that its argueable that there still isnt adequate facilities out there as it currently stands

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I pulled in at an Esso somewhere on the N7 (where its 3 lanes) and not a toilet to be seen.

Planning permission was put in to build a full scale MSA and hotel here, not too long ago (trying to find the planning file and the last one I can find refers to an amendment in 2008) but I can't see it going ahead.

They first asked for permission to replace it with a modern station in 1999! I'd imagine it was refused due to the planned widening which closed quite a few stations.

Tremelo wrote: »
    The McDonalds/Topaz service area off M8 J8 is doing very well so far. They should have built it bigger though. It's very congested and parking is dire.
    Stopped off there this afternoon at this place as much for a snoop as to pick up a coffee.

It's modern but that's about all that can be said about it in a positive way.
    On entering the site there's directions for the drive through or petrol. Nothing to state where either the parking for the mc d's or petrol station is. I ended up driving toward the petrol and before i know it on a one way road out of the place!!

Did a lap then almost to the motorway and back and decided to risk whatbwas being signed as the drive through. At the worst I'd order the coffee there and hit the road seeing as parking wasn't signed in any way. Found that the sign for drive through doesnt lead to the drive through but to the (full) mc donalds car park and the car wash. Obvious I suppose!
    And beyond that again was about a dozen car parking spaces opposite the topaz.
    Completely and utterly insufficient for the location they are in.

The topaz itself is ok. There's the normal garage shop selection with a Hot counter selling all day breakfast and the likes. Upstairs is some seating and a play area (which I didnt go up to as I had 2 unpaid for coffees in my hand)

And as for the coffee. I've barely gotten a more watery milky coffee in my life so the struggle and effort to get it was far from worth it.

Compared to the NRA applegreen msa in lusk that I visited this day last week the Cashel topaz is way below the standard required.
    Both station and coffee alike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I really dislike it with a passion. It was done on the cheap and they haven't even the courtesy to maintain the grounds, which are a weedy eyesore. M7 Junction 14 Mayfield is how it should be done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is an irony that, due to having to upgrade the junction, Cashel probably cost as much or more than the better efforts and yet they still appear to have deliberately underprovided for parking.

MYOB wrote: »
    There is an irony that, due to having to upgrade the junction, Cashel probably cost as much or more than the better efforts and yet they still appear to have deliberately underprovided for parking.

Not only is parking farcical there, but the big problem as far as I am concerned is the blindness of the layout and the non-segregation of HGV and car traffic. This is a safety disaster and it's appalling that it was given planning permission in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

yes, I found the whole Cashel site unimpressive when we were down there too a couple of months back. The parking was confusing, the McDonalds was far too small and the fuel pump we tried to use would not work even though we tried to use Laser to pay for it at the pump. The touchpad just did not seem to want to follow to the next step. The place was mobbed so rather than going into the shop to get someone to investigate, we just went elsewhere for fuel.

I haven't been to the NRA funded MSSs (which I hear are very impressive) but the Applegreen one on the Naas Road at Rathcoole (which even has a Burger King counter now! :)) is far better than the Cashel site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Has work on the Monegal MSA come to a halt? It seems like some of the groundworks have been done but no change for weeks?

trap4 wrote: »
    Has work on the Monegal MSA come to a halt? It seems like some of the groundworks have been done but no change for weeks?

As far as I know all groundworks were done years ago, the site was then sold to Supermacs in that state. I can't find the planning application for the "MSA" at that.

pumps.ie is a great resource for fuel prices and stations and hidden away there is also a facility for searching for petrol stations by main route !
    (much better for long distance drives than the default local search by county on pumps.ie front page)

http://pumps.ie/findStationsByRoute.php

its a pity you cant filter the results by 24 hour station/ seating/ parking leaving only the ones that are a viable pit stop on a cross country journey - but nevertheless it's a great tool to highlight what might be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

pumps.ie is a great resource for fuel prices and stations and hidden away there is also a facility for searching for petrol stations by main route !
    (much better for long distance drives than the default local search by county on pumps.ie front page)

http://pumps.ie/findStationsByRoute.php

its a pity you cant filter the results by 24 hour station/ seating/ parking leaving only the ones that are a viable pit stop on a cross country journey - but nevertheless it's a great tool to highlight what might be viable.

I would recommend they do an app for an entire route (e.g. Cork-Belfast) maybe borrow from google maps on that. This could then tell you cheapest fuel on that user defined route

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

hopefully this will get the go ahead, badly needed in kilkenny

Permission for development. The development will
    consists of A mixed use development comprising the
    construction of (1) new access road from existing
    round about on the N10 motorway link. (2) a vehicle
    service station to include a convenience shop (with
    food preparation and dining area, car wash and
    covered forecourt area for fuel sales. (3) a discount
    convenience retail unit (with provison for ancillary
    alcohol sales. (4) a restaurant with drive thru facility
    for the sale of hot food for consumption off the
    premises. (5) all associated ancillary develoment
    works including loading and storage area, staff
    facilities, offices, car parking, footpaths, plant, lighting
    signage and landscaping. A natura impact statement
    has been included with this application as part of the
    subject site is located within the river Nore candidate
    special area of conservation an architectural heritage
    impact assessment re Hebron House (A protected
    structure) on adjoining lands has been included with
    this application
    Blanchfieldsland
    Hebron Road
    kilkenny

Amtmann wrote: »
    The McDonalds/Topaz service area off M8 J8 is doing very well so far. They should have built it bigger though. It's very congested and parking is dire.
    Had the "pleasure" of attempting to make a stop here a few weeks back in order to fill the screen wash and grab a coffee.
    Abysmal (again). No parking available and signing as confusing as the last time I was there so ended up simply pulling up at the side of the road for a minute before heading on coffee-less.

Is there any sign of them actually building the extra parking that they have supposedly permission for?

Had the "pleasure" of attempting to make a stop here a few weeks back in order to fill the screen wash and grab a coffee.
    Abysmal (again). No parking available and signing as confusing as the last time I was there so ended up simply pulling up at the side of the road for a minute before heading on coffee-less.

Is there any sign of them actually building the extra parking that they have supposedly permission for?

None at all. Shambolic cheapskaterism from Topaz.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The operator of the Topaz/McDonalds services on the M8 at Cashel should be forced by South Tipp County Council and/or the NRA to build additional parking and improve the circulation layout or face closure on Health & Safety grounds.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The operator of the Topaz/McDonalds services on the M8 at Cashel should be forced by South Tipp County Council and/or the NRA to build additional parking and improve the circulation layout or face closure on Health & Safety grounds.
    no chance.

They are actually winning prizes for their crazy dangerous inadequate service station!

Last year from some association for petrol station operators, and this year the forecourt prize from a retail association !

• Advertisement

Just go to Mother Hubbards, next exit, loads of parking.

No fuel though, but you can get that without having to park at Topaz.

Just go to Mother Hubbards, next exit, loads of parking.
    No fuel though, but you can get that without having to park at Topaz.
    great tip that. The reviews say it does a great feed altogether. Parking isnt great but it seems more straight forward than the topaz so no fear of getting stuck in the queue for the drive in there!!

Here's where it is on the Cahir Road out of Cashel town (between the town and the motorway so easy access) which is Junction 9 on the M8.
    Its exactly 1km according to Google so 2 min off the motorway.
    Open 7.00am to 9.00pm, 8.00am to 9.00pm on Sunday so also reasonable enough opening hours for the majority of motorists.
    http://www.menupages.ie/tipperary/south_tipperary/cashel/mother_hubbards_cashel.aspx

Tesco next door have fuel during the daytime (EDIT: from 7am to 11pm!) so if you need to fill up after you get your feed thats an ideal option, but they aparantly don't have toilets so as a relief stop on its own not ideal.
    http://www.pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=3620
    EDIT: the tesco supermarket next door has public toilets and is open from 8am to 10pm and parking galore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

great tip that. The reviews say it does a great feed altogether. Parking isnt great but it seems more straight forward than the topaz so no fear of getting stuck in the queue for the drive in there!!

Here's where it is on the Cahir Road out of Cashel town (between the town and the motorway so easy access) which is Junction 9 on the M8.
    Its exactly 1km according to Google so 2 min off the motorway.
    Open 7.00am to 9.00pm, 8.00am to 9.00pm on Sunday so also reasonable enough opening hours for the majority of motorists.
    http://www.menupages.ie/tipperary/south_tipperary/cashel/mother_hubbards_cashel.aspx

Tesco next door have fuel during the daytime (EDIT: from 7am to 11pm!) so if you need to fill up after you get your feed thats an ideal option, but they aparantly don't have toilets so as a relief stop on its own not ideal.
    http://www.pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=3620
    EDIT: the tesco supermarket next door has public toilets and is open from 8am to 10pm and parking galore!!

Have to head this way in the next while so may consider this option. Had a look at StreetView on Google to get an idea of exactly where it was and couldn't get over the sign outside the Tesco advertising unleaded petrol for €1.095 (and diesel for just over €1). Those were the days!

Article in the SBP saying that Mayfield is expanding due to being under-capacity for HGVs as it stands.

Article in the SBP saying that Mayfield is expanding due to being under-capacity for HGVs as it stands.
    If its under capacity then what is Cashel? Anyhow, here's an article on the expansion just for the record.
    SPAR Texaco Junction 14 – the landmark motorway services site on the M7 – has announced that it is to create 20 new jobs and invest a further €500,000 in expansion of the premises.

The announcement was made at a special one year anniversary celebration of the locally owned Irish business, which was attended by Minister Michael Ring T.D., and Bobby Kerr, Gavin Duffy, Norah Casey and Niall O’Farrell of Dragon’s Den fame.

The site, which also includes Irish brands Supermacs and Insomnia, was opened last June by local businessmen and brothers Donal and Liam Fitzpatrick following an initial €7 million investment. The business has grown from 40 to 100 employees in this time and the owners are to begin recruiting for another 20 positions to be filled over the next six months. They are also due to begin works on site expansion, doubling capacity for Heavy Goods Vehicles - a group critical to Ireland’s import/export supply chain.

Speaking at the event, Donal Fitzpatrick said, “We are very proud and thankful that the first year has been such a great success, testament to the commitment of our staff and our customers who have shown us the utmost loyalty and support.” Liam Fitzpatrick added: “On our part, there is a great desire to keep pushing the boundaries, not only to maintain our footing as the best motorway services experience on Irish roads but to keep building a successful Irish business which provides employment locally.”
    http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/further-jobs-and-investment-at-spar-texaco-junction-14-009212

Cashel is a perverted joke. Still, the self-pay pumps are handy, means I don't waste valuable Mother Hubbards time queuing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

linny wrote: »
    hopefully this will get the go ahead, badly needed in kilkenny

Permission for development. The development will
    consists of A mixed use development comprising the
    construction of (1) new access road from existing
    round about on the N10 motorway link. (2) a vehicle
    service station to include a convenience shop (with
    food preparation and dining area, car wash and
    covered forecourt area for fuel sales. (3) a discount
    convenience retail unit (with provison for ancillary
    alcohol sales. (4) a restaurant with drive thru facility
    for the sale of hot food for consumption off the
    premises. (5) all associated ancillary develoment
    works including loading and storage area, staff
    facilities, offices, car parking, footpaths, plant, lighting
    signage and landscaping. A natura impact statement
    has been included with this application as part of the
    subject site is located within the river Nore candidate
    special area of conservation an architectural heritage
    impact assessment re Hebron House (A protected
    structure) on adjoining lands has been included with
    this application
    Blanchfieldsland
    Hebron Road
    kilkenny

Thats about 5 Km from the M9 motorway, next to the ring road in Kilkenny, so wouldn't be considered a motorway sevice station.
    A motorway service station should service the motorway.
    Two possible places would be the Paulstown junction or Danesfort.
    Paulstown has already been earmarked.

Still, a development like above should do well for those already exiting at Kilkenny anyway.

McDonalds have applied for a drivethrough at the same junction opposite the Toyota garage aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Used the Mayfield/Junction 14 stop a few times over the last week as I was up and down to Thurles.

Have to say that I was very impressed with it. I didn't use it out of hours so I don't know what times the services close down, but the food was decent with a good few options depending on what you wanted and the toilets were clean and looked well kept.

I'll definitely use it again if I'm down that way.

THe Fermoy one is signed on the bridges, there is a sign on the motorway saying "24hr service station" and it is signed on the roundabout as well. Its then 1.5km to the service station.

Not perfect, but better than nothing.
    I visited this one in Fermoy on the way to Cork a couple of weeks back and am well impressed.
    Its not too far from the motorway to be a valid option for a stop, and if you are looking to toll dodge then its perfect (and the 1.90 saved can go to a coffee! )

There's truck parking spaces, showers, baby changing, a convenience store, hot food and everything else that you would expect at a larger brand new service station.

It doesnt have the amount of parking available of say Mayfield but being so close to cork city it probably wont be as busy anyhow with folks making a proper pit stop.

heres the entry in pumps.ie for more info and its exact location
    http://www.pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=4053

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Finally, an update regarding the Monegal MSA -> "Plans for 'Obama Plaza' unveiled in Offaly" - http://www.newstalk.ie/Plans-for-Obama-Plaza-unveiled-in-Offaly

Advertisement