Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Fattes wrote: »
    Hopefully, you get a trip away & can ease yourself back in to it. Remember the body will take a bit to adjust.

Kilternan is quiet, for the next week or two on week nights, so it's well worth a visit as you will have the same conditions

Cheers Fattes! Hope to get away alright! I dont mind taking it easy, only problem with that is you dont feel like you have earned the Apres Ski! (Which in Limone is nice and relaxed)

Not sure I'd get up in the next couple of weeks but cheers for the heads up, those pics make it look fantastic (used the gym there years ago when playing football and used to love the views out the windows, over the bay). Wonder what the place will look like in the background when they start work again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Wish I was that fit. :D

My record speed in St Anton three years ago was 247km/h

That's a screen to leave open when you're at the bar ordering pints at the apres ski.

"Oh ladies, it was nothing, really, I didn't even realise it at the time!" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

cormee wrote: »
    That's a screen to leave open when you're at the bar ordering pints at the apres ski.

"Oh ladies, it was nothing, really, I didn't even realise it at the time!" :cool:

Funny, I had a check, 247, wouldn't actually be the fastest a person has ever gone on skis….:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Those speed trackers are wildly inaccurate, mine once said I was doing 150 Kph I was doing easily 210 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Two identical iPhones with the same app and in the same pocket of my mates pack gave different speed readings. I still went faster :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Sorry guys, didn't mean to ignore anyone, just haven't been on much the past week!
    stevire wrote: »
    Sounds amazing, very jealous! How long you out there now? Doing boarding as a weekend warrior?
    Been here just over 2 years. Just weekends for the moment, although I'm staying for Xmas this year so I'll do some travelling then I'm sure. I usually get out twice or 3 times a month. I can drive out to Sunshine in just over 90 mins, or to Lake Louise in about 2 hours. Sunshine has a 15-20min Gondola ride to the base, so it kind of evens out, even though Lake Louise feels further! Next resort is Kicking Horse which is 3 hours and about as far as you could really go for a day trip...it's a LONG day! Revelstoke, Fernie and Kimberley are all in driving distance for weekends, but I haven't made it to the latter 2 yet. Then there's Whitefish down in Montana for cheap beer and decent snow, I hear.
    One of the best resorts on the planet! Had 5 days there and even though the locals said the snow was poor! I had a lot of fun
    Oh yeah I loved it there. Lost one of our 2 days we had planned there last year when the mountain pass was closed due to avalanche danger, but there was good snow when we finally got there! Then we heard the road was going to close on the way back again, so some of us left before the beers started flowing. Those that stayed were stuck for 3 more days! It is a great hill though and it's spread out more than some of the resorts over here so feels a lot less busy, which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

This sounds pretty good....
    http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/10/13/fall-snow-bonanza-in-north-america-and-siberia-may-portend-brutal-winter/

I'll get my request in early, where is decent for snowboarding in Dublin/Wicklow (with a 4x4)? Have only done short runs around Military Road and think there was a few guys up around the hellfire club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭prunudo

This sounds pretty good....
    http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/10/13/fall-snow-bonanza-in-north-america-and-siberia-may-portend-brutal-winter/

I'll get my request in early, where is decent for snowboarding in Dublin/Wicklow (with a 4x4)? Have only done short runs around Military Road and think there was a few guys up around the hellfire club.

Hopefully it comes through,as some people keep reminding me we're going to pay for the good spell of weather this summer.
    If it's like a few years back I'll be hitting Djouce Mountain Resort again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I believe topflight are running a ski sale until tomorrow night! Probably still over priced ;)

• Advertisement

I wonder if it works. Time will tell of course assuming it's used. Wait and see how many use it.

I wonder if it works. Time will tell of course assuming it's used. Wait and see how many use it.

Testing seems positive! I cant wait to see the first Russian idiot wearing one on a green slope in ski school! :cool::D

Testing seems positive! I cant wait to see the first Russian idiot wearing one on a green slope in ski school! :cool::D

I haven't found any info on how it's deployed. Every auto method I can think of could be triggered by a normal skier by mistake.

Every little helps but I'm not convinced this would be that useful in the grand scheme of things when a downhill skier looses it. As a racer what do you think?

No no, a the airport in Innsbruck wearing it up to the damn metal detector and wondering why they have to take it off, then look back at the rest of the Q and slowly take off their jewelry, beats by dre and airbag crash vest. :D

Happens literally every time I pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

hawkwind23 wrote: »

Great vid! Whenever I'm up the mountains I'm always looking round saying "that'd be skiable", South fact of Donard was one I'd dreamed of, steep!

Any sign of that this year and I'd definitely be on, I assume those lads don't rent gear though?

I also would have thought avalanche risk would be high given the snow wouldn't have bonded?

I haven't found any info on how it's deployed. Every auto method I can think of could be triggered by a normal skier by mistake.
    Every little helps but I'm not convinced this would be that useful in the grand scheme of things when a downhill skier looses it. As a racer what do you think?

There was a new material a few years back DTS or some such like that that knew when an impact was coming and hardened, it was used in Beanies and spyder jackets!

Anything that helps soften the impact between you and the ground at that speed is a good thing, it is only being used on Downhill and super G next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

a148pro wrote: »
    I also would have thought avalanche risk would be high given the snow wouldn't have bonded?

There would be no layers underneath though, you'd get more sluff than a full on avalanche. Only if we get solid snow for a month would there be any risk of an avalanche. I could be wrong but that would be my understanding. I think there'd be more factors as to why we wouldn't have an avalanche rather than why we could possibly have one in Ireland.
    There was a new material a few years back DTS or some such like that that knew when an impact was coming and hardened, it was used in Beanies and spyder jackets!

I have the same stuff in my impact shorts, haven't noticed much difference on impact vs regular stuff. It is more comfortable and snug though.

There would be no layers underneath though, you'd get more sluff than a full on avalanche. Only if we get solid snow for a month would there be any risk of an avalanche. I could be wrong but that would be my understanding. I think there'd be more factors as to why we wouldn't have an avalanche rather than why we could possibly have one in Ireland.

Kind of, the risk is quite high actually, think about late season in the lower pasture parts of the alps, as it warms up a layer of water from's between the grass and the snow pack and helps it slip very quickly! Which would be similar to here and the conditions we get, plus most of the slopes and the angle they are at in Ireland would be very close to the optimum range for self sliding avalanches.

But hopefully everyone has fun and is safe, there is actually a pair of my old skis in that video form the Mournes :cool:

Winter cant come soon enough for some people. Here are a few nutters from my home resort keeping themselves occupied over the summer and autumn months!

http://vimeo.com/109060226

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I did a bit of reading on the d-air system having seen it in motorbike racing since about 06/07 I think. I always figured it must have been triggered by a tether to the bike, but from reading the user manual (available on dainese website) it seems it's a series of accelerometers that only fire the system in a crash scenario. Understanding that skidding, bumps etc. happen more in skiing than in track racing, I imagine it was quite a challenge to program the sensors accurately. Time will tell I suppose - maybe each course will use practice runs to program the system for each round? Maybe there'll be false-triggers that'll need to be ironed out. It's an interesting development anyway.

If anyone hasn't seen it, check out youtube for videos of it in action in motogp and moto2. The crashes are pretty similar to a lot of the downhill crashes I've seen. Highsides and lowsides are pretty much replicated on skis when things go wrong - although the run-out is larger around tracks than on hills, generally.

In other 2014-2015 season news, the Sunshine village and Lake Louise webcams are looking promising! Sunshine has a dusting all over and Louise has some snow at the top, by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Winter cant come soon enough for some people. Here are a few nutters from my home resort keeping themselves occupied over the summer and autumn months!

http://vimeo.com/109060226

I wonder how dangerous this would actually be? Seems pretty safe. I would love to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Really looking forward to the winter, all booked up now, with 2 new resorts.
    First a week in Bisanne 1500 espace diamont, 14 of us self catering ski in out chalet, then a week in Le Praz, Corchevel 1300, fully catered (first time trying this)

Cool vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

i'm not allowed to paste in urls (still a newbie!) but youtube danny maccaskill and the ridge. not snow related, but it is mountain related, and we do all love mountains...

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/

And so it starts, 70cm forecast for my home resort this week :) October and November snow is always exciting but no indication of anything but still nice to see.

Here is the Danny Mccaskill video, absolutely amazing

http://youtu.be/xQ_IQS3VKjA

Cool vid.

How the hell would they know where they were going? In some of the scenes there is no ambient light whatsoever, besides what they're wearing. It would be like being in a snowstorm, with 2 or 3' visibility.

Horrible experience if you aren't familiar with the slope you're on. I got caught in a white-out in Les Menuires once, it's very disorientating, I literally did not know whether I was going up, down, left or right, when I was moving - there's nothing you can use for a visual frame of reference.

Cool video though, yeah!

How the hell would they know where they were going?

Cool video though, yeah!

Head lamps, good pre line planning and they have probably skied it before! Its an incredible idea and a great piece of footage! Something similar done a few years back slightly diferent concept but looks like Tron

Cool vid.
    Head lamps, good pre line planning and they have probably skied it before!

That's all grand until you run into the side of a hungry Sasquatch

• Advertisement

That's all grand until you run into the side of a hungry Sasquatch

Thanks for that coffee everywhere ha ha ha

Advertisement