Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Feeling kind of annoyed that I'm letting one situation really get to me.. Has my mind going in circles. Need to figure a way to get out of this..

Is it an "Emotionally arousing rumination" ? Sometimes devoting time and energy to try to figure those out doesn't help , at least for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh it's useless thinking alright but the upset of recent things just has me rattled.

I'm returning here for a little 'cause I think I've whined in the After Hours thread a bit too much at this stage. :o It's great that so many people can empathise and give good advice but some days there is just no energy or will to do anything productive and all you want to do is vent.

I found out that I had passed my Masters dissertation over the weekend. Result was crappy but still a pass. So I have my Masters now. I should be happy. It's an achievement. I should have been celebrating. But there was no will to celebrate and nobody to celebrate with. I'm stuck at home, unemployed, unable to afford to move out of this rural isolated area. Spend ages applying for jobs, most of the time not even getting a rejection, just being completely ignored. Unable to meet up with friends or even walk downtown to go for a coffee or a drink......because there is no downtown, the nearest town being a 10 minute drive away. No car because I decided to put money towards education instead of learning to drive, and yet this education is doing nothing for me in terms of finding a job yet. I have no idea how long I'm gonna be stuck here. This isn't how a twenty-something should be spending their life. :( My parents do their best for me but there's only so much they can do. Every day I feel more like a failure and less like I can crawl out of this hole.

I'd try and make a little celebration of it somehow. Doesn't matter what it is or who is there , just to take a sec and to give yourself a moment of praise.

And it is a great achievement for someone with depression/anxiety !

I spent plenty of time at home in the depths of rural Ireland in a similar way.

After a breakdown or 2 , I eventually managed to do a job/vocational orientated course ( in IT ) and it was a great relief to be on a path to a job and be away from home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Still a lot of nowhere with me.. Can't handle it when someone completely breaches my trust like that.. Ugh. Oh well..

• Advertisement

If I could just make a decision about what I'm goin to do.. Hate the way I get paralysed when confronted by difficult things like this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Said id check in. Actually really enjoying my few days of solitude. I've been so tired and feeling unwell for a while.
    This break away from life is just what I needed I think.
    I rejoin the world of the living Thursday.

I finish work in morning and will be off for a few days.. Was looking forward to hibernating, same as you, but that's all shot to sh1t now. Oh well.. Hopefully pessimistic outlood will cushion me from things the next few days..

How are people?. It's quiet here.. That may be a good thing of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Anxiety just grips me and that's that for the day :( So exhausting and depressing..takes hold completely I can barely even write this without having to go back again and again to concentrate on it...doesn't help when those at home who apparently have had to deal with everything under the sun in their lives don't seem to understand at all..funny that!

• Advertisement

Spent a while on Wednesday trying to "accept" when I have the knot in my stomach. If I made any progress i couldn't see it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

InReality wrote: »
    Spent a while on Wednesday trying to "accept" when I have the knot in my stomach. If I made any progress i couldn't see it :)

Accept it as in if you accept it, you'll be able to handle it better or that it'll even go away?

Accept it as in if you accept it, you'll be able to handle it better or that it'll even go away?

As in that it would "go away" , or "dissolve away".

I think its what she is saying in this book :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0722531559/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She has a lot of good insight ,and I think its worth trying , but it seems very difficult to actually do. Which is fair enough I guess , but i'm always hoping for a quick fix.

InReality wrote: »
    As in that it would "go away" , or "dissolve away".

I think its what she is saying in this book :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0722531559/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She has a lot of good insight ,and I think its worth trying , but it seems very difficult to actually do. Which is fair enough I guess , but i'm always hoping for a quick fix.

I get ya :)

I have a copy of The Little Book of Calm. I took some ideas out of it recently to do or picture when feeling anxious such as a sunset, the sound of the sea, the sound of silence or imagining a calm blue. Like you were saying, hard to know if it worked or not.

I read somewhere online recently, five minutes of reciting a positive affirmation either verbally or mentally supposedly works. I've been trying it but hard to say if it works. I don't know if quick fixes exist for our kinda issues :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Another week alone,and another weekend alone to look forward to.Getting harder and harder to justify sticking around.Counselor tries her best,but no amount of kind words and suggestions for keeping busy really makes a difference any more,and my time with her will be up in a few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Do ye have any friends? I went out yesterday and saw mine, even though i feel i will be 'alone' for a long time it does help me to be around my friends every once in a while

I'm lucky in that I don't mind being alone that much. I read a lot and play games when I'm alone.
    Also I've read that introverts "recharge" when they are alone , and I think I def do that.

I'd suggest heading along to a support group if you can. I've found them great.
    There are almost always new people in any meeting and you don't have to talk at all. Its great knowing that people have gone though the same stuff as yourself.
    http://www.aware.ie/help/support/support-groups/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

I go to the gym and for long walks like counselor suggested and I read a good bit too.They're are only really temporary distractions from feeling so down and empty though.Tried the support groups before,was always the youngest person there by quite a bit and felt very out of place at them.

No friends around anymore,most have emigrated and the few that remain are busy with getting on with normal lives.

Still want to crawl under a rock and cease to exist. This has too be the longest downer I've been on..

Not in the best place. Damaged ligaments in ankle so no exercise for 2week min.
    My body as well as mind are failing me.
    Trying to catch the spiral before it really goes down. Might call counsellor Monday.

Already massively comfort eating. Undoing all the work I've done

• Advertisement

Horrendously low today.
    Fat mess and a failure.

handbagmad wrote: »
    Horrendously low today.
    Fat mess and a failure.

Couldn't be further from the truth there H. Your mind only makes you think things like that when you're low. It's not you.

Logically I know Hugo. They are thoughts that won't go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Was doing well last week up until my son graduating from primary school. I got upset and have been down and anxiety since Wednesday. Just exhausted with it. Obsessing. Need to meditate or do hypnosis tonight before I sleep. See my psychologist in the morning. Trying to tell myself it's just a blip and like before, it will pass x

Have to do what dr Claire weekes says and just go with it. Not do easy when your at home with three young kids. Least I can knock out tonight

It's all so damn pointless. I was a good friend and yet got kicked in the teeth. Still dealing with the fallout of her actions. I know eventually I'll be over this but I'm out of friends at this point.

To me: snap out of it woman, take small steps, I will be able to exercise soon as ankle heals. It will make me feel better.
    Go with it till then.

To life: A Big Massive Major F**K YOU!
    you keep throwing curve balls at me.
    Give me a break will ya. I will get up dust myself off yet again and keep trying. Please I just want some peace and stability.

I'm stressed or something. Hadn't notice it sneak up but my skin is showing the effects big time now.

Handbagmad, hope you're feeling a little better today.

I'm stressed or something. Hadn't notice it sneak up but my skin is showing the effects big time now.

Handbagmad, hope you're feeling a little better today.

holding it together by a string my friend. Got one of my big chores to this week done today.
    I actually had to write out what I needed to do..step by step last night to overcome the anxiety of it. Have to do same tonight.

When U say ur skin do you mean breakouts or?. I get really bad psoriasis on my scalp when over stresses

Kinda like eczema, lot of skin has peeled/come away from my fingers, scalp is irritated too. Really annoying me as it hasn't happened in a while so I'm picking at it without realising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hey Guys,

Just want to let you know to keep trying and you will get there. It may seem far to being "normal" again but its not. Once you start to become normal again you start to realise how messed up everyone elses life is. Normal is crazy :p!

For those of you that dont know me, I was a frequent poster in the last thread for about 18months and was hospitalised with Anxiety Disorder.

Here are a few steps I took to move on:
    - Transcendental Mediation
    - Group Therapy for 5 months. Only stopped caus I moved job but was time
    - Quarterly visits to Psych. or when needed. Still go every 4 months for what is now a chat
    - I am very lucly to have amazing family support.
    - I have few friends and didn't tell them until out of hospital but they are great
    - I met my best friend who is over 25 years olderthan me in hospital and we use each othrr as a crutch and ring once a week for a bitch but are available 24hrs
    - Gym. I burst my balls in the gym. Never been in this good a shape thankfilly
    - Common sense eating. Everything in moderation. I drink about once a month amd took me nearly 2 years for the hangover playing on amxiety. That said, I always feel breathless the day after a session
    - SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP. Even if you can't getting to bed at a reasonable hour is VITAL. so before 12. That ties in with meditation.
    - Study. When I was in hospital I studied anxiety. The more you know about the enemy the less you will fear it. I know my stuff when it comes to the science amd facts now amd it helps.
    - Water intake. Look at taking in 2 litres a day. Dehydration is major cause of anxiety
    - Try amd be organised in life/work. Helps uoi to stop worrying about stuff that needs doing
    - Getting angry and stubborn at anxiety
    Stop the why me and say, SCREW THIS I HAVE **** TO DO AND ANXIETY IS NOT STOPPING THIS!!! I love getting angry amd beating it.
    - Sports massage. Your chest muscles tighten when you have an attack. Find a really big strong guy who does sports massages every 4/5 months. Will loosen a lot of the tightness as a lot of the constant tight feeling in yhe chest isn't amxiety but knotted muscles.

That sid I still gdt the odd attack but thats part of it. Working on flying anxiety atm.

Hope that helps!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement