Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam on gumtree

• 19-01-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Ok long story short, we answered an ad for an apartment really nice 250 p/w inc bills internet all kitchen needs tv/dvd and all furniture,

naturally we thought it sounds good and responded, the guy who claimed to be a reverend and currently in London said we could have it on the basis of trust, ie that we keep it clean and tidy, and asked for a deposit and a months rent, we said we wanted to see it first and asked about what protection we have about sending money (which he wanted done via western union) he told us we should send the money and trust in God that it would all be ok.

I hear hes well known for this (obviously not by gumtree) so be aware of anyone on the site that claims to be a reverend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

if someone falls for that - then baby Jesus would surely cry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭LeBash

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    if someone falls for that - then baby Jesus would surely cry

This guy would slice baby Jesus up if it was a scam to make a few quid.

I think most of these clowns get whats coming to them eventually, but who are the morans that get scammed? Just reading the start of that, the hair on the back of my neck stood up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

those ad's are rife in oz. if it mentions western union and/or someone currently away in london/africa... its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Might as well post this....
    Hello
    So Nice to Read from you , My name is Rev Gerald William owner of the 1 Bedroom Apartment for rent on 16/59 Queens road , Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia , that wants to be rented out....Actually I reside in the apartment with my family,such as my wife and my only daughter before and presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and presently my apartment is still available for rent for $250 per week including the utilities like :- Stove - Electric ,Refrigerator, Microwave ,Ice Maker ,Full Kitchen ,Coffee maker ,TV/VCR ,Stereo ,Phone ,Linens provided ,High Speed Internet ,CD Player ,Cable/Satellite TV,Double/twin zip & link beds and a child's cot can be provided ,Fitted wardrobe, Kitchen Electric hob/oven,Kitchen utensils ,Microwave ,Washer & dryer ,Refrigerator & freezer ,Toaster ,Electric kettle ,Iron and ironing board ,TV & DVD ,Telephone and Fast Internet access ,Pedestal Fan ,Free parking, everything in the Apartment is fully furnished although before we left Australia we really tried to get an agent to handle this but we couldn't see any due to our hurry moment.More so Now, I went for a crusade in London United Kingdon on a missionary work to serve God with my wife and my Daughter , so please i want you to note that I am a kind and honest man and also i spent a lot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this Apartment and want you to treat it as your own, money is not the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.i do that once in a while.I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word. and you shall be promising me that my apartment will be well taken care of, below are questions you must answer to qualify you to rent my apartment.

RENT APPLICATION FORM
    (PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL)
    Please let me get this answers.
    1)Your Full Name ?
    2)Your Full Address & Phone Number ?
    3)Age ?
    4)Marital Status ?
    5)How many people will be living in the apartment?
    6)Do you have a pet ?
    7)Do you have a car ?
    8)Occupation ?
    9)Occupant ID CARD ?
    10) How Long did you want to stay in the apartment?
    11) Move In Date ?
    12) Move Out Date ?

Looking forward to read from you with all this details so that i have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you,please we are giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words,you know that,we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand , so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this .

Once more Here is the Apartment Address :- 208/336 Russell St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia

Thanks and God bless you.

Rev Gerald William
    Hello ,
    Thanks for your prompt reply, and also i can see your willingness in this Apartment , your Application form is being approved and you are now qualify for the apartment .So as i shall be giving you our apartment,please again take care of the place so that i might be glad when coming by February next year to see how neat you keep the place.Hope everything about this process is fine with you. However, if you are ready to rent the apartment now, that will not be a problem but we will advice you due to a responsible and reliable person like you to deposit the First month rent fee now including $850 for bond deposit which will be return to you any time you are leaving the apartment, and also we would like to send the following documents to you via DHL to the address you provided to me and the tracking number will be sent to you so that you can possible occupy our apartment immediately. Once again,we are giving you this on trust and do not disappoint us and i promise you that you will love the apartment.We are ready to give you the place for 6 months lease or more because all we need is a responsible and reliable person for the place,it has secure parking space.

Here is my phone # +447024055614

Here are the contents of the packages

1)Entrance and the rooms Keys
    2)Paper/Permanent apartment form (Containing your reference details)
    3)The apartment document file.
    4)First Month Rent Payment Receipt

Your information have being kept in my file here incase of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you for further purpose and I kindly let me know if you are ready for the payment of the first month rent now and Bond deposit..So that I can forward you the Information on how and where to send the money via Western Union to me , so I can get all the package sent to you ASAP immediately your deposit is being confirmed..

Can't wait to hear from you soon

Thanks and God Bless you

Rev Gerald William
    Hello , i am so excited reading from you , you have to understand that my wife , she is so happy about this and also i want you to please take very good care of the apartment as you promised please find below my information which you would use to make the payment via western union as soon as possible . the keys and document would get to you on next day delivery to your door step please locate a post office close to you .

Recievers Name :- Gerald William
    Recievers Address :- 39 Paddington Street,
    Marylebone,
    London ,
    W1U 4HH
    Amount Send :- $1850

When payment is being done from the Western Union, you will be giving some information which you would have to get back to me below :

Sender's First Name :
    Sender's Last Name :
    Full Address :
    10 Digit Money Transfer Control Number :
    Amount Sent :

Once payment is been confirmed the keys will be sent to you immediately via DHL COURIER SERVICE, Once the document and keys are sent out to you, i will get back to you with the DHL PACKAGE, Tracking Number and Arrival Time so you can easily occupy the apartment immediately, once again i want you to stick to your word as promised that the apartment will be clean and tidy up everyday.
    Hope to read from you with the details

Thanks and God Bless

Rev Gerald William

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=b829d5c7-de72-11de-ac70-00215ad88908&Aux=50|0|8CC40969F76C370||

However, I was also 'negotiating' with this guy simultaneously..... :D:D

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=654f722a-de7e-11de-a1dc-00215ad8199e&Aux=50|0|8CC40A24E31E650||

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

A fool and it's money are easily parted..

I remember a scam regarding someone renting an appartment and getting a dozen or so keys cut and getting aload of deposits and legging it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thats shocking stuff.

Tell ye what, if you lot all chip in $500 and leave it under the vertical garden in Melbourne Central Shopping centre this Sunday at 5pm ill make sure that these scammers are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i got a loada them too when i was househunting. pain in the arse, but you can easily spot them.

If there is no phone number in the ad, its a scam! (99% of the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

More important than the money is the identity fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If somebody sends an ad like that money, then they don't deserve to keep thier money.
    I honestly don't have any sympathy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well there is no prizes for guessing he/she is an African. Good old 419 scams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

so he gave you 2 different addresses? moron, i googled the queens road address he gave me and it was for rent by an agency, totally different description though,

Advertisement