Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Just accidentally disturbed a healthy looking fox cub rummaging in one of our hedges. About the size of a small cat and bolted before I'd a chance to get the phone camera on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

A male bullfinch landed in the garden for a minute today, first time in the garden for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Seen Spotted flycatchers are back in the garden again for the first time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

a pair of mistle thrushes have taken up residence about 30 feet from my door. looks to be about 3 chicks in it. surprisingly quiet, not far from fledging either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Starting to dig out iris rhizomes from 0.25 acre Iris bed. Will transplant to farm for early cover patch (for corncrakes). Planting in autumn. Hardship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Went to have a listen for Corncrake here the other day, that's its meadow behind the ditch on the right. And that's the local Tidy Town vans approaching in the distance.

Canal1.jpg

Here's the place after they left. :rolleyes:

They made a big deal out of the place last year as if they created it from scratch - they basically put up some signs.

As far as I know, the judges were visiting town the following day.

Canal2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

whyulittle wrote: »

They made a big deal out of the place last year as if they created it from scratch - they basically put up some signs.

Canal2.jpg
    banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

whyulittle wrote: »
    Went to have a listen for Corncrake here the other day, that's its meadow behind the ditch on the right. And that's the local Tidy Town vans approaching in the distance.

That is something I hate seeing. I can understand why some verges and hedgerows need to be cut for road safety reasons but in areas like in your photo it is totally unnecessary and in my opinion looks worse as a result. Plantlife in the UK have a campaign at the minute concerning verge managment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I only yesterday emailed tidytowns@environ.ie to complain about the farce in awarding points for environmental projects and yet causing the unnecessary yet distructive cutting of verges all over the country. Madness!

I only yesterday emailed tidytowns@environ.ie to complain about the farce in awarding points for environmental projects and yet causing the unnecessary yet distructive cutting of verges all over the country. Madness!

Got a reply -Maintaining Grass Areas
    This section includes advice on maintaining grass
    areas in the most appropriate manner, depending
    on the use of the grassland and the effect that
    you want to create.
    It is not necessary to keep all of the grass
    areas closely mown and you should consider
    the role of grasslands in the context of the
    wildlife conservation criteria in the TidyTowns
    adjudication.

Well, that's a joke based on the cutting that has gone on everywhere in the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Got a reply -Maintaining Grass Areas
    This section includes advice on maintaining grass
    areas in the most appropriate manner, depending
    on the use of the grassland and the effect that
    you want to create.
    It is not necessary to keep all of the grass
    areas closely mown and you should consider
    the role of grasslands in the context of the
    wildlife conservation criteria in the TidyTowns
    adjudication.

Well, that's a joke based on the cutting that has gone on everywhere in the past week.
    Isn't it possible though that some local tidy towns committees are taking this guideline to the limit by the indiscriminate shearing of hedgerows and roadside margins, have seen it locally and it looks just awful ! Maybe Environment needs to stress this point in future guidelines to local tidy towns groups ?

Isn't it possible though that some local tidy towns committees are taking this guideline to the limit by the indiscriminate shearing of hedgerows and roadside margins, have seen it locally and it looks just awful ! Maybe Environment needs to stress this point in future guidelines to local tidy towns groups ?

4 years ago the Tidy Towns "trimmed" my hedge because it looked "untidy" during the summer. The hedge around the garden of my house is mixed whitethorn, blackthorn, hazel, spindle, guilder rose, dog rose, sessile oak etc. I reported them to Gardaí. They never did it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Maybe Environment needs to stress this point in future guidelines to local tidy towns groups ?
    Absolutely!
    Tidy towns should be awarding points for management (in this case lack of) that helps wildlife and the guidelines should reflect this. And the tidy towns committee can save themselves much work such as the verge cutting that the 2 pics above show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

something similar happened a couple of years back when a well meaning local trimmed back the verges (full of cow parsley) on the road leading to where we were having our garden party wedding. they wanted the place looking neat for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

4 years ago the Tidy Towns "trimmed" my hedge because it looked "untidy" during the summer. The hedge around the garden of my house is mixed whitethorn, blackthorn, hazel, spindle, guilder rose, dog rose, sessile oak etc. I reported them to Gardaí. They never did it again.

A bit drastic by way of a response there I would have thought ? Surely there was no malice intended on their part? Did you speak with anyone on the committee before setting the Guards on them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

something similar happened a couple of years back when a well meaning local trimmed back the verges (full of cow parsley) on the road leading to where we were having our garden party wedding. they wanted the place looking neat for us.

It's impossible to please everybody.. One mans cow parsley is another mans weed and it's tricky maintaining a happy medium.
    Whyulittle's photo illustrates the slash and burn approach whereas if the verges had been maintained regularly the effect wouldn't have been so dramatic.

A bit drastic by way of a response there I would have thought ? Surely there was no malice intended on their part? Did you speak with anyone on the committee before setting the Guards on them ?

It was the second time it happened. They weren't very apologetic either. They also "trimmed" 250m of roadside hedge.

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    It's impossible to please everybody.. One mans cow parsley is another mans weed and it's tricky maintaining a happy medium.
    Whyulittle's photo illustrates the slash and burn approach whereas if the verges had been maintained regularly the effect wouldn't have been so dramatic.

If the wildflowers are left go to seed they provide a valuable food source for birds/insects. If the verges are maintained their value to wildlife is much reduced.

If the wildflowers are left go to seed they provide a valuable food source for birds/insects. If the verges are maintained their value to wildlife is much reduced.

I repeat it's impossible to please everybody..I know very well what a resource a verge that's allowed to go wild is...but you'll find that those with that view are few and far between, whereas those that like to see every thing maintained to within a inch of its life are in the majority...
    Again , as I said there is a happy medium ,the issue is finding it,
    Tidy towns volunteers are just that, unpaid volunteers with a well meaning, for the most part, interest the appearance of their patch,
    I own an area on the approach to our town bordered with a selection of trees and undergrowth with a grass verge to the path, I have a very amicable arrangement with the local committee wherein they maintain the grass and I maintain the trees etc to our mutual satisfaction... It's good to talk ;)

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    I repeat it's impossible to please everybody..I know very well what a resource a verge that's allowed to go wild is...but you'll find that those with that view are few and far between, whereas those that like to see every thing maintained to within a inch of its life are in the majority...
    Again , as I said there is a happy medium ,the issue is finding it,
    Tidy towns volunteers are just that, unpaid volunteers with a well meaning, for the most part, interest the appearance of their patch,
    I own an area on the approach to our town bordered with a selection of trees and undergrowth with a grass verge to the path, I have a very amicable arrangement with the local committee wherein they maintain the grass and I maintain the trees etc to our mutual satisfaction... It's good to talk ;)
    It is good to talk. If they had informed me of their concerns before cutting my hedge without my permission, I might have not been so annoyed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

so I'm lying in bed this morning about 8 o clock or so and I hear something rolling down my roof outside.First thought of course was "oooh possible small meteorite" --well a man can dream.

So I go downstairs and right under where I heard the thing roll off I find what looks like a pellet from a bird.It's full of beetle carapaces (carapi?) but it's quite small--less than an inch.I picked it apart a little bit and used a loupe to properly see what it was.I can take pics if required but thought someone may know.Haven't even google it yet.I have no clue

Also it feels too light to have made the noise I heard.Was this just a coincidence? hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Spotted a Kingfisher along the local canal today for the first time. Made a few noisy passes up, down and around it. Delighted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

well-I didn't realise bird pellets were produced from quite so many birds.Wikipedia reckons songbirds can produce them of about a half inch long.And here's a pic of a starling producing one

http://www.dublinbirding.ie/pages/archive/sightings/Sept2011/Starling%20JF.jpg

taken from http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/64329.aspx

I've undoubtedly found quite a rare thing as non-owl pellets tend to disintegrate quickly apparently

A year or two ago a couple of magpies used to roost in the rafters of an open shed here during winter and most mornings there would be a couple of pellets on the ground.
    Didn't know what was producing them and even though I knew in my heart and soul that it wasn't an owl I couldn't help hoping, a quick scan with a torch one night confirmed the culprits .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Watching our resident House Sparrows, it seems to be mainly the adult males that are feeding all the fledglings while the females only visit the feeders occasionally. Would they be incubating another brood?

Watching our resident House Sparrows, it seems to be mainly the adult males that are feeding all the fledglings while the females only visit the feeders occasionally. Would they be incubating another brood?

That's it exactly. House Sparrows will have at least 3 broods each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

One less House sparrow now, just watched a Sparrowhawk eating it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

New beekeeping thread in farming if any one is intrested. It would be good to see it get up and running. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

saw fast little furry thing at the canal in clondalkin. at first i thought it was a squirrel trying to cross the road, then i realised it was totally different. very slim and long and cylindrical, its tail was the same as its body. it was trying to cross a road at a bridge and doubled back promptly when a van approached. any ideas?

edit....some google images suggest a stoat. first time i ever saw one if correct. are the seldom seen? i walk by a river most days with my eyes on the lookout for everything but never seen one.

• Advertisement

My immediate thought was a stoat. What colour was it?

Not uncommon but always a treat to see one.

Advertisement