Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

I'm sorry to hear about the exam. If you're doing the RIAM exams, there's not much difference between the pieces for Grade 7 and Grade 8, it's the scales/theory that are the trickiest part. As the syllabus for RIAM changes for 2015, I would be more inclined to just go ahead and start Grade 8- you would have 3 years to do the exam so you could ensure everything is up to standard.
    Just on a side note- how many weeks did it take for your results to arrive? I did my exam last Friday and I'm just wondering if I'm being overly-optimistic by hoping they will arrive before Christmas?

I did my exam three weeks ago tomorrow with the RIAM (I think) and my results still haven't come. He was running really late so I ended up waiting an hour as my sister was before me too. That certainly didn't help the nerves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

ElmW13 wrote: »
    I did my exam three weeks ago tomorrow with the RIAM (I think) and my results still haven't come. He was running really late so I ended up waiting an hour as my sister was before me too. That certainly didn't help the nerves!!
    My exam was supposed to be at 10.40 and I was called in at 10.30- it was supposed to last 45 mins and I was out by 11am. My examiner was obviously in a bit of a hurry!
    If your results still aren't back then there's no hope that mine will be here for Christmas...:(

Any one have any plans for Christmas now that were free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Got a couple of assignments which I think is ridiculous to be given at your Christmas break and in TY especially but thats the way it is i guess. Gonna continue with some things I couldnt do because of how busy i've been such as continue learning a bit of html. Got to get my work experience for february sorted asap. Also trying to find a part time job, but it ain't easy.

What about you

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Enjoy the Christmas Holidays, especially since I wasted spent them studying for that Junior Cert thingamabob last year.

I'm unemployable at the moment because of my age, but still managed to snap up 2 weeks of work experience for January

I'm seriously considering moving out of Home Economics after Christmas, to take up Modern Dance of all things... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Enjoy the Christmas Holidays, especially since I wasted spent them studying for that Junior Cert thingamabob last year.

I'm unemployable at the moment because of my age, but still managed to snap up 2 weeks of work experience for January

I'm seriously considering moving out of Home Economics after Christmas, to take up Modern Dance of all things... :rolleyes:

Modern Dance sounds cool. We got to do Salsa Dancing for Spanish a couple of days ago which was fun. Where are you doing you work experience in January

Got a couple of assignments which I think is ridiculous to be given at your Christmas break and in TY especially but thats the way it is i guess. Gonna continue with some things I couldnt do because of how busy i've been such as continue learning a bit of html. Got to get my work experience for february sorted asap. Also trying to find a part time job, but it ain't easy.

What about you

Sleep more than anything, might go out for a night or two but other than that I have two debates and a public speaking competition in January so I'll be devoting a lot of time to those :(

Sleep more than anything, might go out for a night or two but other than that I have two debates and a public speaking competition in January so I'll be devoting a lot of time to those :(

Oh are you doing the Concern debates? :)

Oh are you doing the Concern debates? :)

Yep, we're opposing the Scottish independence ome and proposing the climate change one. What about you?

Yep, we're opposing the Scottish independence ome and proposing the climate change one. What about you?

We're opposing both those motions :) we proposed the first two debates and didn't have to do the Ebola one. Which one did ye not have to do?

• Advertisement

We're opposing both those motions :) we proposed the first two debates and didn't have to do the Ebola one. Which one did ye not have to do?

The Ebola one too. How did your first two debates go?

Merry Christmas everyone!

The Ebola one too. How did your first two debates go?

Merry Christmas everyone!

We won both :) to the surprise of all involved :D how did yours go?

We won both :) to the surprise of all involved :D how did yours go?

We won both of ours too. It's all systems go for our next one because they're really good. They won it two years ago so yeah

We won both of ours too. It's all systems go for our next one because they're really good. They won it two years ago so yeah

Woah :O yeah i must get cracking on my speeches for the next one now! :)

Woah :O yeah i must get cracking on my speeches for the next one now! :)

I've to start mine too, what number speaker are you? I'm fourth

I've to start mine too, what number speaker are you? I'm fourth

I'm captain :) it was great when we were proposition because I got the first AND last word but because we're opposition now I'm going to have to think of some pretty memorable quotes to put in my speeches :(

I'm captain :) it was great when we were proposition because I got the first AND last word but because we're opposition now I'm going to have to think of some pretty memorable quotes to put in my speeches :(

I was captain for the first debate, the stress of that was enough! I need to think of some possible refutes to use, it's so hard though:(

Really would have loved
    to do debating this year...I went to a few meetings and everything, but to take part in our TY musical we had to sign an actual, typed-up contract from the director stating that if we wanted to do the musical, we were not permitted to take part in any other school activities.

So I'm afraid that debating got back seat, and the teacher running the debating team wasn't too impressed, so can't see myself strolling back into debating in the new year.
    But I suppose it is impossible to be all things to all people

Really would have loved
    to do debating this year...I went to a few meetings and everything, but to take part in our TY musical we had to sign an actual, typed-up contract from the director stating that if we wanted to do the musical, we were not permitted to take part in any other school activities.

So I'm afraid that debating got back seat, and the teacher running the debating team wasn't too impressed, so can't see myself strolling back into debating in the new year.

Aw that's awful! :( it's kind of like that with choir in our school- if you miss one practice you're in the bad books for the rest of the year. How did the musical go?

Really would have loved

Wow that kind of thing would never happen in my school. Our principal is so strict about people taking part in school clubs and extra curricular that one time when school finished and I was leaving the school building to go home, the principal stopped me and a couple of friends and gave out to us for going home and not taking part in anything after school that day. :D

• Advertisement

Really would have loved

What musical did you do? We did a musical three years ago and I was in the orchestra but they others had practice three times a week after school and weekends. Fingers crossed for one next year.
    I know the feeling, I'm in involved in so many different things this year.

We did Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Was playing a lead role (a brother) so I was busy. Whole process from initial auditions to final show was about 2 months. Came home from school each day wrecked from rehearsals, but it was definitely worthwhile and enjoyable. Got great attendance (near to a full house on two of the three nights it ran).

Did wonders for the confidence and learnt how to sing (averagely), really brought the year close together.

Only downside is that everybody is on a serious low afterwards. But it really has inspired me to join a musical society once I get out of secondary school.

We did Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Was playing a lead role (a brother) so I was busy. Whole process from initial auditions to final show was about 2 months. Came home from school each day wrecked from rehearsals, but it was definitely worthwhile and enjoyable. Got great attendance (near to a full house on two of the three nights it ran).

Did wonders for the confidence and learnt how to sing (averagely), really brought the year close together.

Only downside is that everybody is on a serious low afterwards. But it really has inspired me to join a musical society once I get out of secondary school.

Aw wow that sounds deadly! (The musical, not the low bit obvs :D ). They used to do a musical every year in our school but they stopped doing that years ago. They did a musical when I was in first year and while it turned out really good, apparently there was loads of fighting and drama so- needless to say- they haven't done a musical since :(

What is everyone doing or has done for work experience??? :)

What is everyone doing or has done for work experience??? :)

I did a week of work experience in a solicitors (which was the best week of TY for me so far :) ) and a week in a pharmacy (not so good because I was just stocking shelves and dusting :( ). What are you doing/have you done for work experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Did it in a maternity hospital and had a ball omg so much fun!!

Did a week in the local vets in November - they were three of us there at the time so I spent two mornings sitting around while the others went out, but other than that it was good fun.

Going doing a week with a local vet and a week with a local engineering firm, even though I don't see myself doing anything related to veterinary or engineering in the future :pac: (We were told not to expect to get work experience with something we actually have an interest in, it's more just to get the feel for a 9-5 working environment more than anything)

Most of my friends have a part-time job of some description and are just going using that against their work experience

Going doing a week with a local vet and a week with a local engineering firm, even though I don't see myself doing anything related to veterinary or engineering in the future :pac: (We were told not to expect to get work experience with something we actually have an interest in, it's more just to get the feel for a 9-5 working environment more than anything)

Most of my friends have a part-time job of some description and are just going using that against their work experience

Where do they have their part time jobs?

• Advertisement

Some people in my year went to local hotels for the week, from what I heard, most of them got part time jobs afterwards.

Advertisement