Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

15-year-old dead and four others injured in Dublin crash

• 21-12-2014 12:09pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A 15-year-old has died and four other teenagers are in hospital following a crash in Dublin last night.
    It happened at around 10pm at Station Road in Clondalkin when the car they were travelling in collided with a tree.
    The four other occupants of the car, all male and aged between 14 and16 years, have been taken to hospital.

Link

I feel sorry for the families, but find it hard to feel the same for those in the car. None of them over 16, so either stolen, or "just" driving around with no insurance. Seems to be no real repercussions for youth crime like this. No point in locking them up either, that will just institutionalize them.

I'm thinking chain gang cleaning roads or something else visible, and worthwhile to the community.

What would you do (seriously) to the remaining kids?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Tough **** imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

TBH as a parent (of much younger kids) I really believe the parents should be responsible, or at least to some reasonable extent, when underage kids break the law (not inferring that is the case here).

Still a child dead on the run to Christmas, harsh lesson there alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very sad incident but responsible parents should know where their 15 year old children are at 10 p.m.at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭Comhrá

sugarman wrote: »
    Boo hoo

What if that tree they collided with was a family car coming home from doing their Christmas shopping?

I don't have the answers either but 'Boo hoo' isn't very sensitive or helpful. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Is the tree ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭greasepalm

aye no respect for rules or life ,hope the tree recovers as it did not do anything wrong,if parents cant control them,swift justice was served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Natures way of protecting the gene pool. My sympathies to their families but hope the tree makes a full recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

My heartfelt sorrow and deep condolences go out to the owner of the car. It must be tough losing your transport at this time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Meh, no licence, no insurance and clearly no regard for anyone else but themselves. Hard to muster any sympathy tbh, easily could have been a family they took out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

sugarman wrote: »
    Boo hoo

What if that tree they collided with was a family car coming home from doing their Christmas shopping?

How about you deal with what happened and not some hypothetical scenario which did not?

(If the family was coming home without having been Christmas shopping would it be better or worse?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well considering rapists, murderers etc don't have capital punishment imposed on them, I must say some of the posts are the usual knee jerk KB warrior comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Owryan wrote: »
    Natures way of protecting the gene pool. My sympathies to their families but hope the tree makes a full recovery

Gene pool ? money and who you know doesn't make the elite or "want to be's" superior in anyway.just more fortunate as they take advantage of what's on offer while excluding those less fortunate.

Ask yourself why so many young lads where in that stolen car.

I don't condone their actions but there is a deeper problem than just a stolen car with kids driving around in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

visual wrote: »
    Gene pool ? money and who you know doesn't make the elite or "want to be's" superior in anyway.just more fortunate as they take advantage of what's on offer while excluding those less fortunate.

I don't condone their actions but there is a deeper problem than just a stolen car with kids driving around in it.

Apparently the car was not stolen ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Considering this is a motoring forum (before it gets moved to AH), I wonder how many posters in here took a sneaky spin in their parents' car at that age...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭greasepalm

nope i had a respect for parents car and did not drive until 16 or 17

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I know that spot fairly well. They would have gone over the railway bridge and that spot is at the bottom of the railway bridge so they would have been picking up speed before they hit the tree. Probably not wearing any seatbelts either. If they didn't hit the tree they probably would have ploughed into the side of a house which is in james connelly estate or killed anybody who was driving or walking towards the bridge. Either way not the news any family wants to hear at any time of the year. Rip

greasepalm wrote: »
    nope i had a respect for parents car and did not drive until 16 or 17

That was a rhetorical question, about how many DID, so not sure what your point is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Can't believe some of the posts here, the death penalty is a tough sentence for joy riding. My sympathies to the lads familes. It's tough losing someone, especially at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

visual wrote: »

What was not on offer to these kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I know the lads who were in the car last night. Maybe the car was robbed, it doesn't mean a 15 year old kid deserved to die a few days before Christmas just because he got into a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

Considering this is a motoring forum (before it gets moved to AH), I wonder how many posters in here took a sneaky spin in their parents' car at that age...

I'd say very few to be fair. Hardly that common to be stealing your parents car unless you were a right upstart of a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

masti123 wrote: »
    I know the lads who were in the car last night. Maybe the car was robbed, it doesn't mean a 15 year old kid deserved to die a few days before Christmas just because he got into a car.

Totally agree.

Everyone was young once and made some stupid mistakes, we all did. There is a grieving family out there today who's child wont be around for Christmas. It's just a shame that this resulted in a death, and lucky it didn't result in even more carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I also know the area very well and having seen the point of impact, they must have been doing some speed and ploughed into a residential area.

It is really by grace of God that no innocent person either pedestrian or motorist was killed.

anewme wrote: »
    I also know the area very well and having seen the point of impact, they must have been doing some speed and ploughed into a residential area.

It is really by grace of God that no innocent person either pedestrian or motorist was killed.

God should really have had a word before they took the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

God should really have had a word before they took the car.

If you say so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Live by the sword die by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

The first few comments in this are sickening.

Just because they may have stolen the car and it happening in Clondalkin there's no sympathy. No one deserves to be taken off the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Gits_bone wrote: »
    The first few comments in this are sickening.

Just because they may have stolen the car and it happening in Clondalkin there's no sympathy. No one deserves to be taken off the earth.

Have to agree at the end of the say there's a 15 year old boy dead who won't be around this Christmas with a grieving family.

If you say so

Sorry, quoted the wrong post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Music Box

Car wasn't stolen, ie reported stolen. If taken without parents consent then equivalent to stealing. Who was the owner of the car? Had they knowledge that 5 yahoos had taken it and were out of control in a public area. I suppose someone to blame will now be looked for. Thankfully nobody outside the car was hurt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement