Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trouble reading Griffiths Valuation Map

• 20-12-2014 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi. I am currently trying to find out who farmed the different plots within my townsland at the time of Griffiths Valuation. I have the map and the list of farmers from askaboutireland. I cant work out how to relate the plot number on the map to the list of plot owners.
    I'm looking at the left column of the list of names but the numbers given do not match the red number on the map correctly. I may be going about it the wrong way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Click Details and then its the last column listed as Map Reference that you need.

I find that the zoom button some times leads to the wrong place, maybe thats what you mean? If so Google the townland/county for an approx location and work the red squares on the given map from there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 genaunt

Are you aware that the maps on that website can be later than the published GV images and that this may be why you have a problem relating the occupiers and their holdings to the map? If you have not already done so, have a look at the 'Understanding the Valuation and Maps' info note on the website and also an excellent article by James Reilly that you can read on the Leitrim-Roscommon website, scroll down on the home page to 'Learn about Griffith's Valuation' which, as they say, is 'A must read for anyone interested in getting the most out of the Griffiths Valuation data'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

genaunt wrote: »
    If you have not already done so, have a look at the 'Understanding the Valuation and Maps' info note on the website and also an excellent article by James Reilly that you can read on the Leitrim-Roscommon website, scroll down on the home page to 'Learn about Griffith's Valuation' which, as they say, is 'A must read for anyone interested in getting the most out of the Griffiths Valuation data'

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/more_to_griffiths.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21 din090782

Thanks for yer help. The reference numbers still dont relate properly so the map must have been printed at a different time. Will stay reading up on it anyway. Hopefully I can make sense of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

The maps on AskaboutIreland are not the original GV maps. They were created later and do contain omissions, most likely like the one you have come across.

The best online version of GV, with the original maps is on Irish Origins (pay for access) http://www.origins.net/help/aboutio-grif.aspx.

This site was recently purchased by FMP and the Origins GV index of names is already on FMP. I would imagine that the maps will also migrate over in 2015.

If you live in Dublin or go there for research, I think the original GV maps are at the Valuations Office (can someone correct me if this is wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 din090782

Thanks for the information. That would make sense alright. I will try to get hold of the original maps and hopefully they will clear things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The Griffith maps were released recently on FMP - see here

they are b/w are more difficult to decipher then the maps on AskAboutIreland.

Advertisement