Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milking parlour concrete too smooth

Options
  • 28-02-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Updated the parlour 5 years ago. The concrete where the cows stand has got too smooth and the cows are slipping on it. Just looking for advice as to grooving the floor or should I get parlour mats. Pros and cons regarding either.
    Long time surfer but not too many posts so far. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I used a consaw last year where they were slipping coming out, its worked wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

PVMC wrote: »
    Updated the parlour 5 years ago. The concrete where the cows stand has got too smooth and the cows are slipping on it. Just looking for advice as to grooving the floor or should I get parlour mats. Pros and cons regarding either.
    Long time surfer but not too many posts so far. Thanks in advance.

Seen an add on DD the other day for groving floors.
    One had a parlour floor in picture and they had cut 3 lines up the parlour.
    Looks good job. Will have to do it here I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You can hire a machine, its name escapes me, that will roughen the concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

aujopimur wrote: »

We did that. Great job. I can't remember the name of it either :)

Where did you get it.
    Lad that built our parlour power floated the whole yoke. Disaster

• Advertisement

Where did you get it.
    Lad that built our parlour power floated the whole yoke. Disaster
    local hire place, its a machine that roughens up concrete, you push it along, there are blades on the bottom of it and i still cant remember the name of it, no sleep for me until i do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hire out a scabbler n a compressor- hard to explain how it works but we used use em on site to tie in new concrete on old n it really roughens up the surface.
    Prepared to be bored senseless n get ear muffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

biddy2013 wrote: »
    We did that. Great job. I can't remember the name of it either :)

Was it a scabbler.

biddy2013 wrote: »
    local hire place, its a machine that roughens up concrete, you push it along, there are blades on the bottom of it and i still cant remember the name of it, no sleep for me until i do

Would you be able to post a picture of what the floor is like now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

If it's a scabbler you're thinking of I wouldn't recommend it. It will open the concrete up and allow it wear much more easily. It's only meant for creating s rough edge when you are joining new to old.

• Advertisement

If it's a scabbler you're thinking of I wouldn't recommend it. It will open the concrete up and allow it wear much more easily. It's only meant for creating s rough edge when you are joining new to old.
    afair there where a few different machines and the one we used we could set the depth we where cutting, it just marked the surface. It cost under 200 euro for the day between the hire and to pay a local lad to use it. We did the milking parlour, collecting yard and all the cubicle sheds. Was about 4 years ago. Touch wood this year we have had no splits -in the cows-yet

Would you be able to post a picture of what the floor is like now?
    you wouldnt see the marks on it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

http://www.concretegrooving.ie/There a chap in limerick goes all over the country grooves the concrete every two inches, did an old parlour for me years ago very successful he advertises in the farmers journal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

And is the professional grooving expensive.
    I'd have thought taking a whole day out for this kind of drudgery wouldn't be in the schedule for a busy dairy farm in the spring.
    Plus the chances of spoiling the surface in a parlour would be an expensive mistake. There is a lad in Tullyvin Cavan does it and seems to travel all over and is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i have no channes in the silage slabs, theres a lip around it going into a collection gully, is that ok for cross compliance? and woud one of these ads be able to put down channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Raising the cow standings in the parlour by six inchs so basiclly whole new floor and wondering about 2 things .first what newton concrete to use (was thinking thirty) and next what the best finish.when I did it originally I just rough floated after a hour or so that gave me a reasonable finish but after 13 years it was just starting to get slippery a bit.are there any treatment s that ye have used

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

keep going wrote: »
    Raising the cow standings in the parlour by six inchs so basiclly whole new floor and wondering about 2 things .first what newton concrete to use (was thinking thirty) and next what the best finish.when I did it originally I just rough floated after a hour or so that gave me a reasonable finish but after 13 years it was just starting to get slippery a bit.are there any treatment s that ye have used

Ask about getting eco cem in the mix, just floated here, 35 n though. You could check out stuff called parlour top which it better wearing than concrete, didn't do it here cos thought it was too dear,.different colours available too. Company in Dublin do it called the construction chemicals

Think the mix has a good bit to do with it. More sand would make it fairly grippy.
    Get the stuff you throw on top of setting cement turbs it red stops the cement wearing down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Think the mix has a good bit to do with it. More sand would make it fairly grippy.
    Get the stuff you throw on top of setting cement turbs it red stops the cement wearing down

The mix is coming in at about 500quid of an extra for me. I dunno to go for it or not, the fact that it looks fancy (which every parlour salesman seemed to be driving ha) I honestly couldn't care less about, but if it will make a decent difference to reducing the wear rate, and it leaves the surface gripper for longer then it might be worth it.

Timmaay wrote: »
    The mix is coming in at about 500quid of an extra for me. I dunno to go for it or not, the fact that it looks fancy (which every parlour salesman seemed to be driving ha) I honestly couldn't care less about, but if it will make a decent difference to reducing the wear rate, and it leaves the surface gripper for longer then it might be worth it.

Definitely worth it we didn't put it in ours and its wearing at an unbelievable rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

We're planning on using the dry topping - there is quite a good article on it here

http://www.teagasc.ie/advisory/farm_management/buildings/milkingEquipment/milking_machines/NewMilkingParlourFloors.pdf

I think it's about €35-40 for a 25kg bag (might be wrong) which covers either 5m2 or 10m2 - you apply it twice as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

kowtow wrote: »
    We're planning on using the dry topping - there is quite a good article on it here

http://www.teagasc.ie/advisory/farm_management/buildings/milkingEquipment/milking_machines/NewMilkingParlourFloors.pdf

I think it's about €35-40 for a 25kg bag (might be wrong) which covers either 5m2 or 10m2 - you apply it twice as far as I know.

if you get plenty of it.. you'll get it for slightly better price... i got 20 bags for 32euro each.... will be getting another 20 bags at least from them.... guy in construction chem said to apply it twice... our builder said we'd do it 3 times.. we ended up doing it 4 times... we applied it at the rate of 25kg/5m2... anything less and the colour doesnt come up great... will put up a pic tomorro of what we've done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Ye have picked my interest with the parlour top so I must do a bit of research . I was flirting with the notion of using a form made out of rebar to make lines in the stands at right angles to the standings if you get my drift.any cow I ever see slipping in the parlour is alwaysfighting for grip behind her rather than out to the side like you would see in loose house or a yard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Ye have picked my interest with the parlour top so I must do a bit of research . I was flirting with the notion of using a form made out of rebar to make lines in the stands at right angles to the standings if you get my drift.any cow I ever see slipping in the parlour is alwaysfighting for grip behind her rather than out to the side like you would see in loose house or a yard

I was thinking the same about rebar but for our new drafting yard behind the parlour. Trouble is you really want a square pattern, rather than just lines.

There was a roller on one of the stands at the ploughing - basically looked like a curved rebar / mesh cylinder like the ones they drop into pile foundations. About €400 I think - bit too much for something you only use once in a while.

Advertisement