Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marian Finucane

• 27-06-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Marzie slipped in a nice one towards the end of her prog. today.

"I'll be gone from here for a while" Rachael English will be here for next week.

For fcucks sake!! Gone for the Summer, back in Sept. €650.000 pa.

what the fuck??

Who is running that fcuking place out there.

As a license payer I am gobsmacked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Had to turn off when they started on about the banks for the 1000th week in a row. Every week the same thing. It really is ridiculous what she gets away with. How does anybody think this is a good deal for the taxpayers?

Like I've said a thousand times.. offer the job to Rachael for 100k.. with normal person's holidays... Rachael is excellent and would do the job just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

There's the problem buddy.

Rach wouldn't take it for 100k, she'd want to be 'benchmarked' against the other 'stars'.

Until someone out there grows a set of balls and starts culling AT THE TOP of course nothing will change.

What is needed is some ballsy dude to tell Kenny and Tubs that they are getting 250k pa from now on and see what happens.

Everybody else then drops down.

That's the only thing which will sort out that place.

It's like the HSE, too much relativity and index linking to other grades.

That's why the place costs about 65% more than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Marzie slipped in a nice one towards the end of her prog. today.

"I'll be gone from here for a while" Rachael English will be here for next week.

For fcucks sake!! Gone for the Summer, back in Sept. €650.000 pa.

what the fuck??

Who is running that fcuking place out there.

As a license payer I am gobsmacked.
    I think she gets paid a euro for every eh, ah, um, er, uh...can't stand listening to her staccato delivery....

tampopo wrote: »
    I think she gets paid a euro for every eh, ah, um, er, uh...can't stand listening to her staccato delivery....

Staccato delivery.:eek:

You is listening to a different prog. there friend.

maybe Ger Gilroy on Newstalk:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

ffs....whats going on at all at all?

Marion 'funkin' Finucane, your ripping us taxpayers off. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

I was listening to Talksport (UK station) late one night the day after Gerry Ryan had died and the presenter was asking if any Irish listeners could tell him about the Late Gerry as he seemed to be very popular here.

The one thing that astonished him was Gerry's salary! This is a national UK station and the presenter couldn't believe that a radio presenter in Ireland could be paid so much! Says it all really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

Koloman wrote: »
    This is a national UK station and the presenter couldn't believe that a radio presenter in Ireland could be paid so much! Says it all really!

It's a public disgrace, & what makes it worse is that half of them presenters are'nt worth a third of what they take home.

They don't know how lucky they are to be getting money like that for doing sweet FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I must say she's gone a bit cantankerous over the past few weeks - going all guns blazing at Deirdre De Burca yesterday over the Stag Hunt Bill. Maybe she's trying to be revelent and re-assure us that she's worth the money :rolleyes:

I wonder if some RTE Snip supremo went in there and did a slash & burn job on the top drawer dahlings who would have the dillusional gall to expect some rival station to stump up the salary they've grown accustomed to?

Do they all live in a nirvanian bubble out there? Surely some of them have to have SOME inkling that if they walked/jumped they'd be on the scrap heap quicker than a Lada.

washiskin wrote: »
    I must say she's gone a bit cantankerous over the past few weeks - going all guns blazing at Deirdre De Burca yesterday over the Stag Hunt Bill. Maybe she's trying to be revelent and re-assure us that she's worth the money :rolleyes:

I wonder if some RTE Snip supremo went in there and did a slash & burn job on the top drawer dahlings who would have the dillusional gall to expect some rival station to stump up the salary they've grown accustomed to?

Do they all live in a nirvanian bubble out there? Surely some of them have to have SOME inkling that if they walked/jumped they'd be on the scrap heap quicker than a Lada.

Yes! is the short answer there my friend.

Tried to skewer De Burca who in fairness was more slippery and insincere as a Labour party member at entrepreneurs conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

In my opinion both Finucane and (O'Callaghan) should be removed from the air. When have either of them asked a tough question of bankers or developers? Finucane, of course, runs a charity with her husband who did very well touching up developers for funding. She then had the nerve to criticize Thierry Henry for putting Ireland out of the World Cup because her charity was an FAI partner. How about the poverty and misery inflicted in Ireland Marian?

Mespil Road Flats anyone?

• Advertisement

uvox wrote: »
    In my opinion both Finucane and (O'Callaghan) should be removed from the air. When have either of them asked a tough question of bankers or developers? Finucane, of course, runs a charity with her husband who did very well touching up developers for funding. She then had the nerve to criticize Thierry Henry for putting Ireland out of the World Cup because her charity was an FAI partner. How about the poverty and misery inflicted in Ireland Marian?

Mespil Road Flats anyone?

I wonder is there some sort of 'nice little earner' in all this 'charridee' work out in RTE?

I mean you have Ronan Collins(Sudan)
    Des Cahill SA

Tracey Piggott (Uganda)

Marzie(SA)

None of them local I note.

Ok I'll bite, has The marzer got a unit or two in the Mespil Flats?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Same thread every year. Water wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I wonder is there some sort of 'nice little earner' in all this 'charridee' work out in RTE?

Des Cahill SA

Tracey Piggott (Uganda)

Marzie(SA)

why work with a local charity that might actually require some work to be done when working with a 'foreign' charity results in free holidays and minimal commitments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Des Cahill SA

Tracey Piggott (Uganda)

Marzie(SA)

Barname wrote: »
    why work with a local charity that might actually require some work to be done when working with a 'foreign' charity results in free holidays and minimal commitments?

I fail to see what this has to do with Radio lads. Celeb and Showbiz if ye want to bitch about outside interests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Mr. Flutt, I think the Mespil flats business was an infamous episode from 1993 or thereabouts when a golden circle of well connected folk were offed a chance to by up some of those apartments in the Mespil St. complex - the most significant property deal of the time. It seems that 100 per cent loans were organised for many of the purchasers by Michael Fingleton - a gent you may have heard of. Long before 100% loans ruined many ordinary people. It seems Ms. Finucane was a purchaser of a couple of them.
    Feel free to correct me or remove if I'm inaccurate or worse in the above paragraph.
    Also, Mr. tbh, it does have a relevance to her Radio show. When that gathering of our betters on the Sunday Finucane show bang on about today's golden circles, I have to supress a puke reflex remembering that property deal of the early nineties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Mr. Flutt, I think the Mespil flats business was an infamous episode from 1993 or thereabouts when a golden circle of well connected folk were offed a chance to by up some of those apartments in the Mespil St. complex - the most significant property deal of the time. It seems that 100 per cent loans were organised for many of the purchasers by Michael Fingleton - a gent you may have heard of. Long before 100% loans ruined many ordinary people. It seems Ms. Finucane was a purchaser of a couple of them.
    Feel free to correct me or remove if I'm inaccurate or worse in the above paragraph.
    Also, Mr. tbh, it does have a relevance to her Radio show. When that gathering of our betters on the Sunday Finucane show bang on about today's golden circles, I have to supress a puke reflex remembering that property deal of the early nineties.

Timmy has me squealing with delight as I have been saved much typing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Barname wrote: »
    Timmy has me squealing with delight as I have been saved much typing

you've been warned about off topic posting. Seven day ban.

With all due respect to your knowledge of the subject timmy, whether it is or isn't relevant isn't your call to make. It's mine. And I called it, and signaled it clearly.

Rachael filling in for Marian again for a "few weeks" again... ridiculous, give Rachael the job full time ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Rachael filling in for Marian again for a "few weeks" again... ridiculous, give Rachael the job full time ffs..

Agree fully there Rachel English far more profesional than Marion please let Marion stay on her summer holiday forever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Christ almighty. What does she work? 11 to 1 every saturday n' sunday is it? Now I know theres more to radio than turning up 10 minutes before you go on air, but still. She works afew hours at the weekend! Shes doing a review type show which is largely just a group of people having a chat about the events of the week. If she was on 250k for that it would be the job of the century! But 650k!! Unbelievable.

Shes probably in a.............stratch that.........HER Tuscan villa right now, quaffing off a Frascati and toasting the Irish license payer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Agricola wrote: »

Shes probably in a.............stratch that.........HER Tuscan villa right now, quaffing off a Frascati and toasting the Irish license payer!

I thought she was part of the Deauville set.

Still miss her though. I find myself turning to Dunphy on Sundays. English is very good, I'm just not keen on her in that slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

humberklog wrote: »
    I find myself turning to Dunphy on Sundays. English is very good,

His th's leave a lot to be desired, & his speech always sounds a tiny bit slurred to me, or maybe its just his accent? (joking) :D

But seriously, can't stomach Dunphy, specially since he stated (while interviewing Martin McGuinness) that he was 'A fellow traveller', > Dunphy also claims to be a big supporter of Mrs Thatch!

ironic, confusing, playing to the various galleries, or what :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Camelot wrote: »
    His th's leave a lot to be desired, & his speech always sounds a tiny bit slurred to me, or maybe its just his accent? (joking) :D

But seriously, can't stomach Dunphy, specially since he stated (while interviewing Martin McGuinness) that he was 'A fellow traveller', > Dunphy also claims to be a big supporter of Mrs Thatch!

ironic, confusing, playing to the various galleries, or what :confused:

He is quite slurry at the best of times but I don't mind that. I think it's Marian's Rothman's rasp that I like too. I like the chinks:).

Missed his "fellow traveller" talk and must look that up. I've no prob with his admiration of some (a lot) of Thatcher's policies. Kinda flings him a little out there from the general Irish perception of her.

humberklog wrote: »
    He is quite slurry at the best of times but I don't mind that. I think it's Marian's Rothman's rasp that I like too. I like the chinks:).

Missed his "fellow traveller" talk and must look that up. I've no prob with his admiration of some (a lot) of Thatcher's policies. Kinda flings him a little out there from the general Irish perception of her.

Me too.

Have to say I am a fan of Mrs. T who put the shoe up the hole of the various left wing wasters who tried to destroy the UK way back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Staccato delivery.:eek:

You is listening to a different prog. there friend.

maybe Ger Gilroy on Newstalk:rolleyes:
    No, no mistake. She's just awful at her delivery.

"and the text is, eh, 51, eh, 551"

desperate. for that money....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

tampopo wrote: »
    No, no mistake. She's just awful at her delivery.

"and the text is, eh, 51, eh, 551"

desperate. for that money....

Oh indeed she is desparate for the 650k a year even if she only works 40 weekends a year money for old rope as i said in earlier posts i hope she stays away forvever and let her smoke her brains out in tuscanny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

ffs, Rachael has been standing in for the last month for her.. This is fukn ridiculous.. RTE are just pisn the money away. If Carlsberg did jobs, then this would be the "job"..

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

The pay issue really is a disgrace, esp. when you hear that RTE have to cut back on other programmes due to lack of money.
    from what i remember, guys like PK justify the pay by the fact that they are not diretly employed by RTE, they are on contracts instead and a contract is not secure employment so takes a premium and they dont get a pension from RTE so that pay has to make up their own pension contributions,... but the questions is why aren't they employed directly by RTE as a normal news reporter would be?
    The other point someone like PK would make is that their programme brings in so many millions in ad revenue and they should get a % of that reflected in their pay.. but in the private sector no way this would happen. In my job i could be responsible for bringing in millions into the company, indirectly, but i'd still be on 30-40K or something :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

650k . This woman is a disgrace. I have said it many times on here.

To be earning that money is crazy. Who the hell does she think she is??

RTE have a lot to answer for here. There should be more made of it really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement