Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Well, my first day cycling inside using one of Tacx's products. In spite of The Bike Shop's best efforts, I went for an Antares. Scary at first, but after one crash I seem to have it licked now. Sort of fun in fact! But cheesus, it gets hot REALLY fast in here.

I was wondering, what do you people watch/do on the trainers?
    Between pain, snot, phlegm, sweat, tears and more pain if you can see anything while on the turbo you are not doing it properly.

Keep pushing until everything blurs over. You need music not vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I was wondering, what do you people watch/do on the trainers?

I've watched cycling DVD's on my laptop while on the turbo trainer. Unfortunately the DVD's were narrated by Phil Liggett, who I hate as a presenter/narrator. Fortunately that motivated me to push harder on the turbo to try to will my bike+turbo forward to run the pr1ck over. Unfortunately I failed. Fortunately my laptop survived due to my failure. I'm not sure whether that counts as a victory or a failure overall.

When doing turbo sessions where I'm doing stints for specified time periods though, so basically I am watching various numbers, I find it hard to watch a DVD. For those sessions I listened to music instead. It came as quite a surprise to me to find that my ears sweat. A lot. I had trouble keeping the earphones in my ears. There, I've outed myself as an ear sweater now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

doozerie wrote: »
    When doing turbo sessions where I'm doing stints for specified time periods though, so basically I am watching various numbers, I find it hard to watch a DVD. For those sessions I listened to music instead. It came as quite a surprise to me to find that my ears sweat. A lot. I had trouble keeping the earphones in my ears. There, I've outed myself as an ear sweater now :(

I've gone thru at least 4 pairs of iPhone headphones from sweating them to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

There, I've outed myself as an ear sweater now :(

I'm another self confessed ear sweater, you're not alone! I bought them sennheiser/addidas sweat resistant wrap around headphones....used them once. Don't really like listening to music out on the road. And prefer to have music turned up loud when I'm on the turbo (to drown out any unusual noises that come out of me).

Sufferfest videos are great on the turbo, have used a few of them now and I reckon they'll make up a good chunk of my training come January/February if the weather doesn't allow road spinning. Not sure I'd use them to their full extent on rollers though, I do value my life somewhat...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

Ear sweating?

/me never looks at cycling forum again

• Advertisement

@buffalo, You're just in denial, embrace your ear sweating (and join us in De Nile).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Which old fogey were you? I was the one with the Jimmy Page hairdo...

His hairdo in 2007 or back in the day? If the latter - kudos! Watched it in Dun Laoghaire and it was a bit like a MAMIL convention but without the lycra - if you get my meaning. Volume was way too low but maybe they thought they had to go gentle on whatever hearing we have left!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

furiousox wrote: »
    Coulda been a bit louder last night. ;)
    Ya mean ya forgot the hearing aid. :D Seemed to get louder as it progressed tho.
    His hairdo in 2007 or back in the day? If the latter - kudos!

2007 hair. Been a long time since I had hair back in the day colour. Great fun cycling helmetless; it kinda flares out like a flag... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

It's Friday.

I'll just put this here........inside Ferrari's camper van :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Bus drivers and passengers are talking about cyclists here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056779290&page=21

if anyone feels like weighing in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bus drivers and passengers are talking about cyclists here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056779290&page=21

if anyone feels like weighing in.
    No need, I have some rusty needles here I can just jam in my eyes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Is it a bird......

.....is it a plane

no it's a.......

Superman Inspired Skinsuit

yours for only $149.00

Superman%20Skinsuit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

G3TqC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

We need to find this listening device, and quickly. It's in here somewhere :eek: There are lots of things in here that posters might not wish to come out, most recently, the above post!!!
    A conversation apparently captured by a listening device in Dr. Ferrari’s camper concerns what Scarponi may have needed to win the Giro d’Italia.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/scarponi-hits-back-at-dr-ferrari-accusations

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    We need to find this listening device, and quickly. It's in here somewhere :eek:
    It may be too late!:eek:
    They expected to formally conclude their investigation in a month’s time and so the full details will soon emerge.

Went to Corkagh Park today with my daughter to watch some cycling, and we headed to the pet farm afterwards. We went over to see the sheep and goats but they all immediately pegged it over to the opposite side of the enclosure 'cos someone was flaunting a carrot at them over the fence. Mr Carrot seemed to be having great fun keeping the carrot just out of reach while the sheep were clambering over each other trying to reach it.

My daughter was intrigued so we headed over. We were a few metres from the frenzy when one of the sheep decided it had had enough carrot teasing and threw itself over the fence. Mr Carrot uttered an enthusiastic "Jaayezuss Kerr-EYE-ESTTT!" as he threw himself backwards with a facial expression that I'd associate with someone facing the onslaught of a zombie army, or a particularly large and hairy spider. All machismo and dignity was lost as he stumbled back against his quite calm partner and young child.

Meanwhile my daughter had adopted a different facial expression, one that suggested she'd just heard a very interesting expression and was storing it away to repeat at some inappropriate time later. Great. Anyway, the sheep, enjoying its newly found freedom, quickly lost interest in Mr Carrot and headed towards us instead. Mr Carrot regained his composure and with a manly swagger he lobbed the carrot into the enclosure, said "Fookin' sheep, wha'! Stupid fookin' thing", and laughed. Then he made a prompt beeline for the toilets, suggesting that perhaps he got a greater fright than he was conveying, and left the sheep to wander free. A right charmer.

Children's attractions, that's where all the action is, where men are sheepish, and sheep have taken as much as they are willing to take.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Children's attractions, that's where all the action is

:eek:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

16471L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

7QUYUl.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Completed a Wexford Wheelers club spin for the first time this morning (second attempt), delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

170km solo today. Fine weather but bloody tough on your own. A shot of caffeine in Blessington on the way home worked wonders!:)

Many, many cyclists out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Did 105km today on my own too, I had nicked a course off Strava and stuck it on the garmin, worked pretty well, after Bellewstown climb (steep side) I just couldn't get any rhythm, today I was the nail for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Who would have won in a fight back in the day, Hinault or Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

happytramp wrote: »
    Who would have won in a fight back in the day, Hinault or Kelly?

Kelly with a 'Brogue Kick'! Oh sorry.....watching way too much WWE Smackdown.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

To the truffle-hunter who nearly took me out in Blackrock this morning:

The lights had turned orange, all the cars were coming to a stop. Your friend decided that as the light had just turned red, could safely go through.

You, travelling a few seconds behind, decided that even though the light had been red for some time (in traffic terms) and that even though my light had gone green, you could still continue to power through and almost tackle me to the ground.

I was not some boulder to be skidded around, nor was the red light prompting you to hammer it into oncoming traffic.

Make no mistake, had I not been at the top of that queue, but a trigger-happy motorist waiting to gun it on green, you would be spending your morning in different circumstances, at best.

Don't be an idiot, if you want to take your own life in your hands on the trails, be my guest.

Just stop at red ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

Any damage done to yourself Dirk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Junior wrote: »
    Any damage done to yourself Dirk ?

Thank God no, I stopped in horror and he sort of swerved behind me and around me without even slowing down...straight toward the cars.

I'm sure he thinks he has awesome mountain biking skills, but testing them out in traffic is not on.

Not sure what would have happened if he had hit me, I was wearing a helmet so at least my hair wouldn't have taken any damage. But he would have totally t-boned me and no doubt it would have been nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

1LlNY.gif

I rode through Manor Kildride yesterday while mass was on in the local church. There were cars scattered everywhere, apparently considerate parking is anti-christian or something. Outside of the church were standing quite a few sinners, their heads leaning forward and to the side in that odd way that I only associate with Catholic mass-goers. It's some wierd body language, the downward head bit seems to convey a guilty expression of "I'm a sinner, I'm a disgrace", the head tilted sideways bit seems to convey a feisty attitude of "but fukkit, I don't care". I haven't been to mass in years, but I suspect years of "training" in my youth would cause me to instantly adopt the same manner myself if I went back.

Anyway, the priest's voice was booming out onto the road, presumably there is a loudspeaker at the church entrance. I could hear every word as I went past, which made me shudder a bit - the priest obviously came from the same training academy as the priests in my parents' parish 'cos his voice and delivery were laced with the same patronising tones that I associate with trips to the church in my childhood. It made me think though, the circumstances were perfect for drive-through mass. And then I wondered whether I'd just been subjected to cycle-through mass and whether my soul was now saved as a result (I used to be an altar boy, bless me, but I've since strayed). Maybe I had been transformed into a better person all of a sudden.

It seems that I was destined to put that to the test. A few minutes later, a woman in a car coming the other way decided to overtake the cyclist in front of her. She pulled right over to my side of the road, and drove straight at me. She passed within a couple of feet of me, at speed. If she'd had a sticker on a car it would have read "How's your Christian charity?". Well, I didn't lob a water bottle at her car (there was no time), so one gold catholic star for me. I did utter "sweet Jesus" though, which could be construed as loud and spontaneous worship, though the tone wasn't entirely one of celebration, and the single raised finger that I was at pains to attract her attention to probably set a less than forgiving tone too. Maybe my heart was indeed still filled with the love of god, but it was beating so hard that it was difficult to say.

Roll on the next test. Coming down from Sallygap at speed I was almost in the middle of a big mound of gravel on a bend before it even became visible. The "Ffffuuuuccckkkk!" that I uttered almost cancelled out the gold star from earlier, but I reckoned that the pope himself would have been rattled in the circumstances so I applied some self-christian charity and forgave myself. Two bends later though and despite the fact that a cautious pedestrian on the other side of the road had stepped completely off the road and anto the verge, a car coming up the hill decided that it should swing completely over to my side of the road and away from the pedestrian "just in case". That left me with sod-all space and certainly not enough space to pick a line on the bend that would allow me to get round the corner without ending up on my ear on the other side of the ditch. It also wasn't clear that I wouldn't pile head first into the car, given that they were still drifting further over to me side. I hauled on the brakes. It didn't seem like it would be enough. So I invoked the devil's braking incantation. There was no disguising it this time, my "Jeeesuusss Chriiiiiist!" was quite clearly hollered in a blasphemic tone. I didn't even add a "please" to the "SHOVE OVERRRRR!" that I yelled immediately afterwards. The car driver looked entirely unworried. I made it round the bend, just.

That answered the question then, my soul hadn't been saved, I remained a god-less sinner. So I embraced the fact, and as I came down Cruagh Road I mumbled various profanities to myself about the car driver ahead of me who drove the whole thing with his brake lights permanently on. Annoying feckin' thing about car brake lights, they give no indication of whether the driver is lightly pushing on the brake pedal or trying to drive the pedal through the floor of the car, so you've got little warning of whether the car is slowing gently or stopping suddenly. Staying far enough back is the only way to deal with that dilemma, but on a road where you are freewheeling faster than the big jalopy in front of you is moving, things get tricky to say the least. And when the road rises upwards, and you are still freewheeling faster than the car in front, it goes from tricky to downright annoying.

So on the next downhill bit, when another car pulled out from a side road in front of me and pretty much stopped dead while they searched for the make-car-go-vroom pedal, I was well primed for a heathen outburst. I couldn't actually be bothered though, I was just resigned to the situation by then, so after hauling on the brakes all I could bring myself to do was to throw my hands up in the air in that universal "what are ye like?" manner. The car driver actually stuck their hand up to acknowledge it though, which was a pleasant surprise, so the ride actually finished on a positive note. Well, mostly positive, the fact that I'll eventually burn in the fires of hell takes some of the shine off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I reckoned that the pope himself would have been rattled in the circumstances
    Thanks for the mental image of Benny on a bike :D I wonder if himself and Christ (on a bike) are in the same club... The Holy Rollers perhaps? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement