Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

unkel wrote: »
    With respect, you don't seem to get the concept of bangernomics.

This car has made it so far and has recently been tested. Maybe a good few Stilos are lemons, but this car is not

And only a complete fool would ever turn a €500 bangernomics car into a money pit. First sign of anything going wrong, you scrap the car and buy another one.

Or stick it up for sale while it's still driving and off load it quickly and cheaply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/fiat/stilo/hatchback/safety-reliability/

A slightly more measured review of the Fiat Stilo.
    The gist is that they are amongst the better built Fiats and that many of the reliability issues were repaired under warranty.
    The upswing is a car in this condition is more likely to have been looked after and easily worth €500 notes.

If I had the money I'd snap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I am going to bet anybody on here 10 euros that the tax disc in the Stilo will look like this

tmEY7xNFyS-2.png

If anyone wants any details on that car and where it is drop me a pm, but in all seriousness don't go near it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Well it's sold. Someone just bought a bargain in my opinion. No doubt money was knocked off too.

As regards Parkers and the like; some cars actually end up better with age rather than deteriorate. Cars that suffer early on problems tend to have them rectified by the original, better funded owners. They then become unwanted by most because of their reputation for problems and it all leads to a destruction of their resale value, but its all irrelevant at that stage because the first few buggers have fixed all or most of the issues with them.

I (personally) often found that cars that have good reputations in their early days can actually be the ones best avoided in latter years because the very thing that makes them good i.e. their durability often leads to them being neglected. These are the ticking time bombs, not the car that broke down four times last year, got a new head gasket, water pump, ECU, steering rack and a cat (probably spending far in excess of the cars actual worth in the process) This car is positively a bargain no matter what the badge. All the work has been done to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

I (personally) often found that cars that have good reputations in their early days can actually be the ones best avoided in latter years because the very thing that makes them good i.e. their durability often leads to them being neglected. These are the ticking time bombs, not the car that broke down four times last year, got a new head gasket, water pump, ECU, steering rack and a cat (probably spending far in excess of the cars actual worth in the process) This car is positively a bargain no matter what the badge. All the work has been done to it.
    I'm broadly in sympathy with these sentiments. It can work out well too as sometimes the sale can be encouraged by those expenditures (car breaks down, gets fixed at expense because owner needs to be back on the road quickly, but owner "loses confidence" in vehicle and decides to move the car on to someone else).

However it's critically important that the repairs have been done well. I've plugged Puntos here a few times, but folk will say "don't they have head gasket problems?" From hanging around fiat-forums, and driving & maintaining one, I'd say they do but not to a remarkable extent. However, I've read numerous horror stories of folk trying to get HG repaired (in garages) with very mixed results and often with repeated failures, so if someone said the head gasket had been done it'd make me pretty nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

pandanomics time

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-1-2-dynamique/10846461?offset=24
    04 panda NCT till end of July 2016
    950eur

New catalytic converter, tyres, battery, starter motor, clutch, and a recent service.
    Brought over with us from the UK 15 months ago.

(shouldnt the reg read as 04 RN 120XXX if this was an import 15 months ago???)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Not a whole heap of test but i think it qualifies, last 2 owners were boardsies too.

https://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/e39-520i-tax-and-test/10964853
    12239926_1051590961541831_4783624508430016393_n.jpg?oh=0071a7a065719682588ac02ec0e8b3ef&oe=56DDB4F3

Can't understand why this wouldn't be put through the test if there are no issues.
    kupus wrote: »
    pandanomics time

(shouldnt the reg read as 04 RN 120XXX if this was an import 15 months ago???)

120XXX is for Dublin only.
    40XXX is Cork.
    Haven't a clue of Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Soarer wrote: »
    Can't understand why this wouldn't be put through the test if there are no issues.

Why?
    The car is being sold with over 3 months test (and tax).
    Good value to me and perfectly legitimate too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

While you can test 90 days in advance, this might be just inside that. Also there is a backlog in some centres.

But I agree if the car is going well, its surely a selling aid to run it through. Maybe at the Bangernomics end though, the €55 means more!

My wife's 08 golf will be going on DoneDeal next week, NCT is out at end of Jan16 and I have booked it in to do it this weekend as I think the short current NCT would put me off if I was buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Bandito909 wrote: »
    What are those Stilo's like to drive? There's a good few of them for sale at good money. I take what honestjohn say's a pinch of salt. (Literally) it's an English site, so no doubt the reviewers with problems with the car I would imagine are with Stilo's with no proper maintenance. English MOTs aren't worth the paper their writen on, no proper maintenance gets done as a result of rust and the fear of breaking or snapping any nut or hold you touch.

A 02 fiat stilo was my first car. The 1.2 engine was very very nippy for the weight of the car. It was fairly old at the time, and had its eletrical perks...but to say I drove it into the ground is an understatement. It never ever stopped going though. In my opinion a great car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

cadaliac wrote: »
    Why?
    The car is being sold with over 3 months test (and tax).
    Good value to me and perfectly legitimate too imo.

Not saying it's not legitimate. Just saying it'd surely be an easier sell if it was.

I tested my own car 2 months before it's due date as I was thinking about selling it. Decided to keep it when she flew it with no issues! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

120XXX is for Dublin only.
    40XXX is Cork.
    Haven't a clue of Roscommon.

6xxx if I remember right

I always thought it was x-xx-120xxx now i know different thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10972879

Borderline skangernomics.

6 months test and a months tax. Nice spec 1.6 with the 6 speed box, alloys, front fogs, sporty gauges, nicer seats etc. Good colour too.

Would probably clean up nice for €750 asking. Says it's a bit smokey, but a little puff of blue from a VVTi after 210k is probably not a big concern.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10818008

Test a bit short, but a very nice car for the money.

NG Saab 900s were by and large crap with the exception of some special versions like the Aero and utterly bonkers Viggen. The cabrio of this era though was a timeless classic IMO and will be a future one to own.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10967469

I don't care. You can't go wrong with the test at this money.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10874815

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Toyota sold. Wonder if the piston rings were failing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

30 minutes with the heat gun to get rid of the stickers, paint the bonnet and its a nice car.

NCT 03/16, two months tax, €950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/peugeot-205-gti-replica-nct-3-16-price-drop/10645134?offset=9

47826282.jpeg

The kind of yoke I'd buy in my early 20's before I got sense. Bugger the MPG, the rust and the bits falling off, cruise around and arrive in style.

If it drives alright it's a nice rolling resto.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-450-sel-1978/10947045?offset=7

49290931.jpeg

NG Saab 900s were by and large crap with the exception of some special versions like the Aero and utterly bonkers Viggen. The cabrio of this era though was a timeless classic IMO and will be a future one to own.

SAAB 9-3's of that era are excellent cars, one of the best bangernomics buys out there. I have one, it's 15 years old and its rock solid. The build quality is better than a lot of 6/7 year old Mercs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Driveway has too many cars in it atm, why spend 3 weeks waiting for a spot letting tax run out, moot point now anyway it's gone to a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10972879

Borderline skangernomics.

6 months test and a months tax. Nice spec 1.6 with the 6 speed box, alloys, front fogs, sporty gauges, nicer seats etc. Good colour too.

Would probably clean up nice for €750 asking. Says it's a bit smokey, but a little puff of blue from a VVTi after 210k is probably not a big concern.
    Got to love the effort of blacking out the reg, only to show the Tax disc unedited.

engine is smokey...and is to be expected .....ah no its not.

kupus wrote: »
    engine is smokey...and is to be expected .....ah no its not.

I guess it depends on his definition of smokey, but it wouldn't be too unusual for a high mileage VVTi to be fairly fond of a drop of oil.

The thing is, if you bough it, drive it until the next test date and it fails, it's worth the guts of €4-500 in parts easy. To young men into Toyotas, things like the SR grille, front fog light kit, 6 speed box, honeycomb gauges, leather wheel and aluminium gear knob, disc brake rear axle, strut braces, rubber front lip etc are all very desirable.

Red Kev wrote: »

With that auto box just make sure you bring it on a long test drive before you buy and I mean a long test drive. They drive perfect all day long until you bring them on to a motorway and drive it in a straight line for 10-15 miles. Then, without warning, as you lift off the accelerator the car will hunt for a gear with no luck then simply bang it into the wrong gear and try and fling you through the windscreen in doing so. This will continue till you turn it off and leave it sitting for an hour at which point it'll happily tootle on down to the shops hassle free. Be warned ;) (Repairs are nasty)

Audi 80 Quattro. This is very cheap (is it too cheap) . NCT 06/16, €1250

Great cars, the zinced body still holds up well, as does the shape. The design is 30 years old next year. Excellent daily driver for the winter.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/audi-80-quattro/10966789?offset=13

49384216.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

'04 Rover 75 1.8 turbo, low miles, a lot of relatively new comfort and luxury for about a grand

49134292.jpeg

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I guess it depends on his definition of smokey, but it wouldn't be too unusual for a inappropriately serviced (wrong oil) VVTi to be fairly fond of a drop of oil.
    FYP ;)
    The thing is, if you bough it, drive it until the next test date and it fails, it's worth the guts of €4-500 in parts easy. To young men into Toyotas, things like the SR grille, front fog light kit, 6 speed box, honeycomb gauges, leather wheel and aluminium gear knob, disc brake rear axle, strut braces, rubber front lip etc are all very desirable.

Very easy. Front strut 40-50, G6 grille 40, fogs 80-100, gearbox alone 400 (500 if quiet), steering wheel 100-150, lip spoiler 100-150. Only those would pay for the whole car.

But I have to admit, I got many of above significantly cheaper, only because I was very patient. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement