Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert Biology

• 13-05-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I will be sitting my leaving cert next year June, so i was just wondering how to do well and get an A1 in Biology Higher level.

I am willing to put in ANY hard work required to acheive this A1, but i need a guide on what to do exactly, so guys, please help me out here. THANK YOU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

The universal answer would be

Just do the exam papers over and over and do your homework/listen in class/study notes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

You just have to be very specific with your answers. That's really the difference between an A and a B, I'd say. A lot of the time they're looking for a really precise word or definition.

Biology isn't that difficult to get an A in really, if you put the work in. I'm hoping for an A1 in June, and what I find helps most at this stage is going through loads of exam papers. Sometimes if I read through things in the book I end up not really taking in the information, answering questions helps me to focus on specific details so that I'll remember them, even if I have to look them up in the book at first.

Good luck :)

OH and if you've got a crap teacher who doesn't give proper homework, after you've done a chapter go and answer the questions on it in the book, and draw out the diagrams! It's really hard to learn diagrams without drawing them out yourself a couple of times. (I had a teacher who just read through the chapters in class for about 6 months, I didn't do much myself at home and I'm regretting that a bit now.)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Get yourself a few small note books
    • One for Diagrams
    • One for Definitions
    • One for Experiments

Revise these regularly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't start a new thread for every subject you hope to sit.
    For many of them, there are existing threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Just out of interest what book do you use? There are some bad ones out there. If i were you i wouldn't just to past papers as was suggested above. They are an important part but from what i hear, the people who get an A revise notes (that they made through 5th and 6th year) that are very precise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 KR1995

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Just out of interest what book do you use? There are some bad ones out there. If i were you i wouldn't just to past papers as was suggested above. They are an important part but from what i hear, the people who get an A revise notes (that they made through 5th and 6th year) that are very precise.

The book we use is the 'Leaving Cert Biology'. This book is extremely popular with many schools, I hope it's not bad, is it :eek:
    My plan this summer is to study the notes I made for the past year inside out and then do the exam questions.
    The way my biology teacher teaches... she starts a chapter and then she gives us the paper questions. We never do the questions in the book.. so sometimes i think i need to put my hands on the questions in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KR1995

finality wrote: »
    Biology isn't that difficult to get an A in really, if you put the work in. I'm hoping for an A1 in June, and what I find helps most at this stage is going through loads of exam papers. Sometimes if I read through things in the book I end up not really taking in the information, answering questions helps me to focus on specific details so that I'll remember them, even if I have to look them up in the book at first.
    Yeah thats what i thought too... I hope i'll be able to achieve it. Im willing to put in the amount of work it takes tp get the A1.
    Ah, Good luck to you too! :D Hope you'll achieve your A :D:D
    Yeah, Papers are good to keep us focus and shows the way they asks questions, I find them very handy too.
    With me, I cant take in nothing when i read the book, so i always have to make my own notes based on the book and the study aids and my teacher's guide. In this way, I absorb more.. i suppose it's time for me to learn them off!:o:o
    finality wrote: »
    OH and if you've got a crap teacher who doesn't give proper homework, after you've done a chapter go and answer the questions on it in the book, and draw out the diagrams! It's really hard to learn diagrams without drawing them out yourself a couple of times. (I had a teacher who just read through the chapters in class for about 6 months, I didn't do much myself at home and I'm regretting that a bit now.)
    My teacher isnt the best... so its alot of independent study and effort i need to put in. My teacher teaches this way... she finishes one chapter, and then she give us the exam questions based on that chapter and thats our homework. But the thing with my teacher... she never opens the book with us. Never reads them, If its the hard chapters then she'd do some notes with us in school, if easy enough, we do it ourselves. It's very stressful.. I must say. Yeah.. I need to put my head down and start focusing... :(

Advertisement