Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon 30/9/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Note to self....

Book flights

Book Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Nearly 30,000 entries in, in a matter of 2/3 weeks. This event must be good. Anyone planning on doing it should register asap:rolleyes:

Myself and Pre in and hotel booked:D

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

What's capacity 45,000? Hoping to book later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

Pronator wrote: »
    Over 200 irish registered i heard. Be some after party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Im in.
    Just registered because the rest of you pressured me into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

For those of you who are interested, there are less than 1000 spaces left for this according to their Facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Berlin is full.

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/news-and-media/news/2011/12/09/40000-entries-sold-out-bmw-berlin-marathon-2012-has-closed-registration.html
    As early as never before the BMW BERLIN MARATHON is sold out. Registration for next year´s event (September 30th, 2012) closed Thursday, December 8th, almost nine months ahead. The field is limited to 40,000 participants. The last 1,000 entries were connected with a charitable donation for projects helping children (42,195 euros). There are a few entries left in connection with travel arrangements at classified travel agents (see www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/service/tour-operators.html).

Registration had started October 20th. Last time the BMW BERLIN MARATHON was sold out seven months in advance. The BMW BERLIN MARATHON for inline skaters (Saturday, September 29th, 2012) is still open for registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

G-Money wrote: »
    Berlin is full.

Good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Just booked flights for this one.

Aer Lingus are having a Summer sale at the minute - you have to book by tomorrow, 9th of March.

Saved €25 which will cover some of the post-race beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good reminder, must sort flights out

dev123 wrote: »
    Just booked flights for this one.

Aer Lingus are having a Summer sale at the minute - you have to book by tomorrow, 9th of March.

Saved €25 which will cover some of the post-race beers

Thanks for the heads up, I have the hotel sorted and will do the flights tomorrow.
    Funny thing is I never feel like a beer the evening after the race, wish I did. I must not be properly Irish.
    If there are a number of people going over for this, is there normally some kind of get together organised?

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, I have the hotel sorted and will do the flights tomorrow.
    Funny thing is I never feel like a beer the evening after the race, wish I did. I must not be properly Irish.
    If there are a number of people going over for this, is there normally some kind of get together organised?

I never feel like a beer afterwards either but I'll hope to be up for a few that evening. 3 of us racing/travelling so name the location and we will be there:D

Closer to the time the on-line discussions will move away from the less important race-realted topics such as gel strategies, near-fatal niggles and taper fever to more important topics such as post-race beers.

IIRC, there was a pub nominated last year to suit most people location wise and I presume the same will happen this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Closer to the time the on-line discussions will move away from the less important race-realted topics such as gel strategies, near-fatal niggles and taper fever to more important topics such as post-race beers.

IIRC, there was a pub nominated last year to suit most people location wise and I presume the same will happen this year.

Yeah that was the Oscar Wilde. I Know it is a bit early but this pub was great last year. I see no need to change for 2012 :P

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah that was the Oscar Wilde. I Know it is a bit early but this pub was great last year. I see no need to change for 2012 :P

I was wondering how long it would take for you to arrive!!!!

I was wondering how long it would take for you to arrive!!!!

Sometimes I wonder if I go to these event for the race or the post match Pi** up :pac:

Aerlingus..

Dub to Berlin - Friday morning, flying 7am
    Berlin home - Monday night, leaving 9.30pm

Aerlingus..

Dub to Berlin - Friday morning, flying 7am
    Berlin home - Monday night, leaving 9.30pm

How much is it? I'll be doing something similar but flying over in the evening on the friday.

Sale me hole!
    Flights are €763 for me,wife and 3 year old with our national carrier!
    Flying Friday and back Tuesday. Thinking of cancelling the hotel and give the race a skip altogether.

Tried to change a flight home from Heathrow for a friend this evening who is in London with his wife. There son is sick and they need to get back tomorrow. €446 inc €80 for changing flights with Aer Lingus!
    They will be flying back from Gatwick with Ryanair for €240.
    Thats my Aer Lingus rant finished, thanks for listening.

• Advertisement

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sale me hole!
    Flying Friday and back Tuesday. Thinking of cancelling the hotel and give the race a skip altogether.

Tried to change a flight home from Heathrow for a friend this evening who is in London with his wife. There son is sick and they need to get back tomorrow. €446 inc €80 for changing flights with Aer Lingus!
    The flights back on the tuesday are extortionate. I'm not sure why.

Would flying into frankfurt, spending friday night there and getting a train to berlin on saturday work out any cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

If there is a flurry of bookings, the reservations system will react and push up the prices. Hold off a few days and you'll probably see them gradually fall back.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Sale me hole!

Agree with Peckham... Give it a few weeks , try again or maybe tinker with the dates... Ran it in 2010 and 11...great marathon so would b a pity if u decide not to go... Would u consider travelling alone??

Would flying into frankfurt, spending friday night there and getting a train to berlin on saturday work out any cheaper?

Might be an option alright but only if I decide to travel alone.
    Peckham wrote: »
    Hold off a few days and you'll probably see them gradually fall back.

Will do, no panic I suppose.
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Agree with Peckham... Give it a few weeks , try again or maybe tinker with the dates... Ran it in 2010 and 11...great marathon so would b a pity if u decide not to go... Would u consider travelling alone??

Ran this as well in 2008 and have it as my main goal for this year, back in 2008 I was able to fly direct from Cork for €130 return.
    May well consider travelling by myself.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Changed my return flights from Monday to Wednesday.

GF was right, running on Sunday and coming home in Monday would mean next to zero craic or chance to relax after race.

Flights on Tuesday were savage expensive, but changing to Wednesday was only 30 quid extra each, so we have to spend another night drinking in Berlin - its a hard life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

GF was right, running on Sunday and coming home in Monday would mean next to zero craic or chance to relax after race.

No, it just means flying with a savage hangover on the Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Changed my return flights from Monday to Wednesday.

Flights on Tuesday were savage expensive, but changing to Wednesday was only 30 quid extra each, so we have to spend another night drinking in Berlin - its a hard life

How things have changed for the Vagmeister ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

digger2d2 wrote: »
    How things have changed for the Vagmeister ;)

He's whipped now :pac:

• Advertisement

How things have changed for the Vagmeister
    Having read some of CL's recent updates about poor digdig's stuggles with big bad running I dont think you can talk :D

Advertisement