Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Typical renovation costs

• 25-03-2009 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    Does anybody have an estimate as to what typical renovation costs would be to either
    A) Completely gut and renovate a period home
    B) Renovate without reducing house to a shell e.g replaster, paint, repair floor boards etc

Dublin 4 bed house 1600 - 2000 sq ft
    New plumbing
    Install central heating
    Re-wire
    New roof
    New kitchen
    New bathroom
    New downstairs smaller bathroom
    Re-plaster walls and roofs
    Repair sunken floorboards
    Repair period sash windows
    New carpets
    Knock down wall to make two rooms into one
    Knock down wall in order to extend Georgian window into full length "French" door access to garden
    Landscape garden

Any estimates, ball park ranges for above, average, per room cost etc.
    I'm looking at rough calculation of an offer taking rough estimate of renovation into account.

Thanks in advance for any input.

JA1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

JA1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anybody have an estimate as to what typical renovation costs would be to either
    A) Completely gut and renovate a period home
    B) Renovate without reducing house to a shell e.g replaster, paint, repair floor boards etc

Dublin 4 bed house 1600 - 2000 sq ft
    New plumbing moved hot tank and gas boiler
    Install central heating
    Re-wire 1 room
    New roof
    New kitchen
    New bathroom
    New downstairs smaller bathroom
    Re-plaster walls and roofs
    Repair sunken floorboards
    Repair period sash windows bought new ones for 4 of 6 windows
    New carpets
    Knock down wall to make two rooms into one
    Knock down wall in order to extend Georgian window into full length "French" door access to garden
    Landscape garden

I'm looking at rough calculation of an offer taking rough estimate of renovation into account.

Thanks in advance for any input.

JA1

I bolded the work we did on a three bed period property which is about 1000 (I think) and it came in around 50,000 but we got astronmical quotes from Dublin builders at the time (8000 to knock wall between living and dining) and ended up using a builder friend from wicklow at weekends and labouring myself. Kitchen was top of the line and we sanded all floors. We still have a bit of work to do to bedrooms (No. 1 needs fited wardrobes, 2 & 3 untouched really) I would take into account the recession and the larger house with more work probably needed and estimate 80,000 to 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

JA1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    ballpark minimum €100K
    More likely €125-150K depending on finishes, and if any other works need to be done (And with renovating period houses - there's always unforeseen items)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

OP, you could end up spending anything from €100,000-500,000 depending on tastes.

Basic for some people is gold taps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Borzoi wrote: »
    ballpark minimum €100K
    More likely €125-150K depending on finishes, and if any other works need to be done (And with renovating period houses - there's always unforeseen items)

Agreed - minimum - could easily be more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I would cost it at €100,000 - €130,000, top finish but watching costs.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

I would cost it at €100,000 - €130,000, top finish but watching costs.:)

That looks like a gross under estimation Uncle Tom even in the current climate. The property is in Dublin not Tipperary.

OP you mention the house is a period house. Is it listed?? and if so you can add 15-25% on to the values given above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Budget 250k

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

Insurance rebuild valuations are about 1500-2500 per sq m, your about 200 sq m so that's about 300,000 to 450,000 even nowadays the real bad news is that's plus vat!

Direct labour might trim that to 275k to 400k

A heads up for you, don't deny anyone the right to make money on the job, 50k or other estimates here are not what you listed, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

How much did it cost in the end

Advertisement