Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The tone and atmosphere of this show is fantastic.

Really really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

McConaughey is so intense in this, that scene with him interrogating the guy, and then at the end were really good. Would hate to be in a room with him as that detective, you'd be sh1tting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The whole build up to that final scene, right from where the car arrived over the bridge when they were interviewing the old fisherman dude was brilliantly bleak and the music was astonishing. Real feeling of dread from it.

Best thing on TV at the moment, by an absolute country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm hooked on it, didn't want that episode to end. Cracking TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I really feel it captures the time period by reminding me of the cop shows from years ago where all the actresses were either the wives/mistresses/victims. Woody Harrelson had a lot of funny lines in the episode. Really enjoying the partnership.

"Nobody here's gonna be splitting the atom." Great line

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent. The production values in this series are astonishing - it looks and sounds gorgeous. Right away from the opening credits (which are great), there's that palpable sense of unease, of dread. We know we're building to something horrific , something that broke Russ and presumably scarred Woody. It's in a league of its own in the TV detective shows. Only other show in recent times with that sense of dread is "Hannibal".
    Maybe its that McConaughey has only ever played Good(ish) guys whereas I'm of an age to remember Natural Born Killers.
    I'm guessing you haven't seen him in "Killer Joe" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I'm just gonna come out and say it. That was one of finest hours of TV I can remember watching. Utterly hanging on every word that was said and every mannerism from the two guys. That shot of the apparent killer at the end was fantastic too.
    McConnaughey deserves to clean up for every award he's nominated for this show because I don't think I've ever seen better acting in a TV show. I realise this praise comes across all hyperbolic and whatnot but that really was one of the most fascinating hours of anything I can remember.
    I love seeing how Rust interacts with new people, such as in that bar scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Is anyone else having trouble hearing what they are saying at times? The southern accent is difficult

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Grimebox wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble hearing what they are saying at times? The southern accent is difficult
    Nope me too. They also tend to mutter a bit. Haven't had this much fun trying to decipher accents since listening to native Baltimore accents in "The Wire".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

It makes a huge difference when you have A listers in a show like this. There hasn't been a bad episode yet and I don't think there will be one either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Not till this episode but I could hardly understand a thing that preacher guy from Boardwalk Empire was saying. It was all low and mumbled. Never really had a problem with stuff like that in 'The Wire' but 'Luck' used to be a real struggle at times.

Two weeks to wait for the next episode :(

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Crazy tense last 10 or 15 minutes in that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This show is absolutey superb. Cant believe how good the first 3 episodes have been, if it continues like this we'll be looking at another modern classic, its just that good. McConaughey is absolutely fantastic. I was never a fan of his but he is really tearing it up in this show. Mesmerising!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

This thing is absolutely top class in every way... I'm blown away by it. TV doesn't do it justice, it should be on in the local cinema every week for the 8 weeks..

I'm not sure i can remember tension building like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Loved Rust cutting up the can into a tin wicker man while proselytising his bleak vision of humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Don't forget that they will skip a week next week for the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Awww! stupid hand egg sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anybody else think the guy at the end looked like trevor outta GTA V?:p

qmdetuq.jpg

I really hate how American TV just kills the momentum of a show by breaking up like this. Especially as we've been left on a cliffhanger.

I really hate how American TV just kills the momentum of a show by breaking up like this. Especially as we've been left on a cliffhanger.

Hardly a cliff hanger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hardly a cliff hanger

yes, it's a cliffhanger.

Do you know who the dude in the gas mask is?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

yes, it's a cliffhanger.

Reggie Ladoux

And we KNOW there's about to be a big shoot out as well...

Def wouldn't class that as a cliffhanger, more of a tease...

yes, it's a cliffhanger.

If it is a cliffhanger, it is the mildest one I've ever come across. We are introduced to a new character. That's it

If it is a cliffhanger, it is the mildest one I've ever come across. We are introduced to a new character. That's it

Well, the knowledge of an ensuing firefight and a closing shot of a man walking around in nothing but his underwear and a gas mask with a machete in an undisclosed location who may or may not be Reggie Ladoux, and who also may prove to be nothing but a red herring make for plenty of tension, if you ask me. That last shot was a definitely a 'what the fcuk' moment for me.

Perhaps even more importantly, we now know that Marty is a little unhinged, maybe as much as Rust, and certainly may be inclined to do something rash, which means things are becoming more open-ended on that front. Who knows what he might end up doing at that firefight, or elsewhere? It also appears that Rust knows exactly what the interrogators are looking for from him now and is giving off the air of someone who has nothing to hide. Which is starting to make me think that Marty is the one who is keeping something under wraps (he has a very good way of turning things around to make himself seem like the good guy, I think).

So, I'd say that last episode left a lot of unanswered questions and tension left over from that episode. A cliffhanger doesn't have to be of Lost proportions to be a cliffhanger. It's simply ending an episode on a note of uncertainty or tension, be it of grand proportions or not, which is exactly what this episode did.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm guessing Marty is still a cop in the present day, as his interview is happening in the same station that they are based in during the 1985 scene, whereas Rust is in a different one, perhaps nearer to where he lives now. I didn't notice that until the scene where Rust is explaining the connection between the dead girl presumed drowned years ealrier and the main victim. Maybe it was something obvious in a prior episode, but I didn't pick up in it.

Also, present day Woody looks very much like the older Roy Munson from Kingpin, and I keep expecting him to have a rubber hand. He even has the big ring on his right hand in the interrogation scenes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Am I right say ,Marty isn't a cop in the present day.He has some sort of security job and does some P.I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

yabadabado wrote: »
    Am I right say ,Marty isn't a cop in the present day.He has some sort of security job and does some P.I ?

You are right. I think it was in episode 1, he mentions retiring after 20 years and going into security.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

Loved Rust cutting up the can into a tin wicker man while proselytising his bleak vision of humanity.

TBH his nhillism is beginning to wear as thin on me as it is on Det Heart, it's like spending the evening reading posts on After Hours at this stage.

Is there some kind of prize for the network who's show has the most repellant, nhillistic and screwed up leading character? Did some HBO exec turn to the execs of AMC and Starz and say, 'well, I see you the ennui of Don Draper and the moral ambiguity of Walter White and I raise you with the nhillism of a character that's occasionally pleased with himself that his dead daughter isn't contributing to the over population of the world'!
    Sheesh. Enough already. It's becoming cliche at this stage.

conorhal wrote: »
    TBH his nhillism is beginning to wear as thin on me as it is on Det Heart, it's like spending the evening reading posts After Hours at this stage.

What's going on with the US cable channels? Is there some kind of prize for the network who's show has have the most repellant, nhillistic and screwed up leading character? Did some HBO exec turn to the execs of AMC and Starz and say, 'well, I see you the ennui of Don Draper and the moral ambiguity of Walter White and I raise you with the nhillism of a character that's occasionally pleased with himself that his dead daughter isn't contributing to the over population of the world'!
    Sheesh. Enough already. It's becoming cliche at this stage.

Frankly, I don't care what came before or if its part of a trend. I am treating this show as it's own entitiy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

The gritty nihilist aspect pissed me right off in the first episode even with the narrative justification of his daughter's death. I haven't watched ep 3 yet so I hope it isn't laid on too thick because I really want this to be as great as it can be.

Advertisement