Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hannibal [NBC/Sky Living] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

sydthebeat wrote: »
    After the second one tonight, I'm hooked. Hannibal is genuinely unnerving. will grahame IS the character from red dragon and the actor plays him so well. Cerebral and creepy... Excellent stuff

Again, did YOU read Red Dragon or are you talking about Brent Ratner's hack-job?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

To be fair Millennium was quite different to what we saw in the Harris novels. There were a few similarities but Frank Black as a character was far more engrossing a character and the manner in which they played up his fear of exploring the darkness too far was far, far more interesting.

Precisely. Now I'm finding the stress that Will is under, or perhaps how it's being portrayed, is almost somewhat of a distraction at this point. He is Frank Black lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Precisely. Now I'm finding the stress that Will is under, or perhaps how it's being portrayed, is almost somewhat of a distraction at this point. He is Frank Black lite.

its not a distraction its the whole point of the show hannibal trying to convince people graham's the ripper

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

irishthump wrote: »
    Again, did YOU read Red Dragon or are you talking about Brent Ratner's hack-job?

Of course I did, if you read it different fair enough... Say so..

But don't be so dismissive of other peoples opinions. Yours is not the only opinion that matters, and your posting style is rude to say the least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

its not a distraction its the whole point of the show hannibal trying to convince people graham's the ripper

I'm a little tired of the hallucinations is all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Finally got round to watching this, I love the books and the previous movies but can't stand flashy CSI style shows so was a bit wary, the visuals do border on OTT at times but they keep it just reined in enough to make them stylish without going completely overboard. Hannibal is great, Graham is kind of annoying though, will stick with it only 2 eps in. Do wish they'd set it in the 80's though and tied it correctly into the movie timeline.

Of course I did, if you read it different fair enough... Say so..

But don't be so dismissive of other peoples opinions. Yours is not the only opinion that matters, and your posting style is rude to say the least.

I can understand how people can have differing interpretations but I can't understand how you can say that the TV version of Graham is anything like the version in the novel. In the book he has none of the "quirky" personality traits they saw fit to give him in the series. He has an eidetic memory and has an uncanny level of empathy with the killers he pursues. Thomas Harris' character can also function perfectly well when interacting with other people, as can Lecter which is a major plot element.

And I'm sorry if the tone of my posts is a little brusque but to be quite honest and I'm getting a little tired of people saying what a spot-on adaptation of the books this series is!

Maybe I should get out more....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

That's a great observation, I didn't click with that at all. I thought Hannibal was just trying to turn him into a psychopath. I usually pick up on stuff like that, seems so obvious now that you said it! Really adds a whole other layer to the show.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    That's a great observation, I didn't click with that at all. I thought Hannibal was just trying to turn him into a psychopath. I usually pick up on stuff like that, seems so obvious now that you said it! Really adds a whole other layer to the show.

well it just important the he convince graham himself that he's the ripper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I like the show, myself and herself don't watch many shows together these days but we make time for hannibal!

Didn't click with the above observation either! Clever girl!

11 eps in and they still call Will by his full name as if we the viewers are retards. ffs. Will Graham....we get thats his name, no need to say it 6 times in 2 lines. Grr.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

irishthump wrote: »
    I can understand how people can have differing interpretations but I can't understand how you can say that the TV version of Graham is anything like the version in the novel. In the book he has none of the "quirky" personality traits they saw fit to give him in the series. He has an eidetic memory and has an uncanny level of empathy with the killers he pursues. Thomas Harris' character can also function perfectly well when interacting with other people, as can Lecter which is a major plot element.

And I'm sorry if the tone of my posts is a little brusque but to be quite honest and I'm getting a little tired of people saying what a spot-on adaptation of the books this series is!

Maybe I should get out more....

Harris hints at some sort of social awkwardness of Graham on the second page.

Jack Crawford heard the rhythm and syntax of his own speech in Graham's voice. He had heard Graham do that before, with other people. Often in intense conversation Graham took on the other person's speech patterns. At first, Crawford had thought he was doing it deliberately, that it was a gimmick to get the back-and-forth rhythm going.
    Later Crawford realized that Graham did it involuntarily, that sometimes he tried to stop and couldn't.

im not saying he presents him as a high functioning autistic, but more of a fully open empath who cant close up.

Graham had a lot of trouble with taste. Often his thoughts were not tasty. There
    were no effective partitions in his mind. What he saw and learned touched everything
    else he knew. Some of the combinations were hard to live with. But he could not
    anticipate them, could not block and repress. His learned values of decency and
    propriety tagged along, shocked at his associations, appalled at his dreams; sorry
    that in the bone arena of his skull there were no forts for what he loved. His
    associations came at the speed of light. His value judgments were at the pace of a
    responsive reading. They could never keep up and direct his thinking.
    He viewed his own mentality as grotesque but useful, like a chair made of antlers.
    There was nothing he could do about it.

The TV show reproduces, if amplifying, this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Knew I recognised the bathroom in the first episode...

SHINING-HANNIBAL.jpg

Harris hints at some sort of social awkwardness of Graham on the second page.

I can't see that as a sign of social awkwardness, more like further evidence of his empathic abilities.

I'm not saying he presents him as a high functioning autistic, but more of a fully open empath who cant close up.

The TV show reproduces, if amplifying, this.

And that's fine! The idea of empathy is at the heart of the character. I personally think that the Graham of the novel was deemed "not interesting" enough for the series and that the show's creators felt the need to flesh him out with quirky personality traits. Graham's character plays out so much better on the page; his outward appearance and demeanour mask a very troubled mind, again mirroring Lecter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Last night's episode was outstanding, how Mads Mikkelsen (and Hugh Dancy) is being overlooked for any and all acting awards is beyond me. Great setup for the finale - this whole season has been pure quality.

a great series, it has been renewed, but i wouldn't mind if it hadn't been don't know how they can do a better then this storyline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

a great series, it has been renewed, but i wouldn't mind if it hadn't been don't know how they can do a better then this storyline

Me too, I hope it's not ruined like Homeland, brilliant at the start and then just went meh.

The finale lived up to all expectations, closing scenes were superb, brilliantly set up for Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm half way through the season. After a slow start, it seriously picked up in episode 7. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Baiting the FBI with the fishing flies...

A number of throwbacks to Silence and Hannibal in the finale. Ambulance escape, tune at the end and the colour of Graham's prison clothes.

This show was definitely one of the better ones this past season. Wonderfully shot, acted, scored, and with interesting stories/twists. It very much reminded me of the first season of Dexter. The closing shot was superb.

• Advertisement

ah they had to leave it like that, atleast we know he knows, so did gillian know what hannibal was up to all along, i always sorta thought that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

had to play Cor Vide Meum on YT after that brilliant finish in honour of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

ah they had to leave it like that, atleast we know he knows, so did gillian know what hannibal was up to all along, i always sorta thought that

Same here.

I'm thinking maybe he knows something about her too, like maybe she has similar tastes in food ! :pac:

TheUsual wrote: »
    Same here.

I'm thinking maybe he knows something about her too, like maybe she has similar tastes in food ! :pac:

nah something to do with the person who attacked her, maybe she attacked him and hannibal covered it up, she owes him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Nope. Read an interview with Brian Fuller or an article referencing it, and he said that he always knew they'd get a season 2, just not neccessarily on NBC. Foreign sales are very strong for it, and he said he had four other companies approach him and tell him that if NBC dropped Hannibal they'd pick it up. So around for a few seasons at least I think. Would get picked up by someone else like Friday Night Lights.

Which should be interesting as he has said that at the moment he plans to deal with
    the events of Red Dragon
    in season 4.

how long do you think will graham will be in prison in the next series, 1 ep 6 eps more?

watch red dragon wondering if i should subject myself to hannibal rising :/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wrapped up the first season last night and I'm really glad I stuck with it. I found it hard to warm to Will Graham at the start, but his descent into madness was perfectly pitched and very well done.

It's a very unconventional show. In a few cases, the "killer of the week" went out with a whimper rather than a bang, particularly Lance Henriksen, Eddie Izzard and the angel guy. How good was Eddie Izzard too? Superb episode.

The closing scenes in the finale were top notch (including Will's personalisation of his Stag nemesis).

And Abigail is still alive, IMO. They never found her body (just her ear).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

also Jack's rookie agent might be alive as well and being held captive in a "Seven" kind of way

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »

And Abigail is still alive, IMO. They never found her body (just her ear).

Although Hannibal and Dr. Du Maurier were almost certainly eating bits of her in the dinner scene.

Advertisement