Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Louie (FX)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its always what your hoping for dick, let the guy do other things, the show will better for it when it comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

its always what your hoping for dick, let the guy do other things, the show will better for it when it comes back
    yeah i heard there's a prize for the person who predicts the most cancellations:D:D:D, and there's also one for who gets it wrong the most, richard is winning both ATM:p

sad to see it wont be back for 2 years, but TBF the guy is probably one of the hardest working people in the industry, and the 2 year hiatus wont effect a show like this in the least, if you watch it you should know that richard,

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭PanaDrama

Jesus that was relentlessly grim

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

The 'New Years' episode?I thought it ended rather nicely,nice cameo from Poehler too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Bump because of the new season.

They're showing two episodes a week now, and they are gold. Can't believe how much I missed this, laugh out loud funny so many times. Plus, Yvonne Strahovski, Jerry Seinfeld, Victor Garber... the cameos are as excellent as ever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The bin man scene was awesome. I love this show. Real strong return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Good start to the season. Where was the theme song though!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm watching the new series at the UK pace of an episode a week as opposed to the two in the US. It kills me there's more Louie out there, but at the same time rationing it to ensure it lasts longer is something worth enduring!

Anyway, I've said it before but Louie is the best thing on TV right now (well, from what I've seen anyway: I'm sure there's equally good stuff out there I will one day catch up with). I have nothing but fanboy enthusiasm for it, and what it's doing cannot be understated. It's proper 'auteur' television: one man's full-on realisation of his strange, dreamlike and fiercely intelligent vision. It's effectively a complete deconstruction of modern masculinity, diving deep into the mundanity of modern life and finding both remarkable insight and inspired comedy. While it's frequently very, very funny indeed (the model episode was a masterclass in cringe comedy and carefully crafted surrealism) it also communicates its themes in ever compelling ways. Just watched the 'fat woman' episode last night, and was blown away. After a subtle build up, its astonishing conclusion and monologue hits like a brick, thanks to Sarah Baker's impeccable delivery that addresses a pointlessly taboo subject in an admirably frank and passionate way. And Louis lets the camera soak it in in a wonderfully long and intense take - how rare is it to see a five minute plus sequence in TV without a single edit? How the cinematography positions and highlights the characters further articulates the themes being discussed in the remarkable scene.

Anyway only three episodes in and season four is already living up the high water mark set by the previous ones. This is as intelligent, funny and progressive as television gets. I believe the next batch is a six-part episode - cannot wait to see what Mr. CK does with that expanded scope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Elevator (Part 4) is possibly the best 23 minute episode of TV I've ever seen.

This season has been outstanding so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Watching it also, amazing series, probably my favorite show on at the moment. Can somebody clarify one thing for me though. I was discussing the series with a friend of mine. In the flashback scene of Louie when he was in his 20's and engaged, wasnt the white girl with him in the hotel Janet? My friend thought it wasnt because of her skin colour but i thought it was obvious that it was her...the whole "wouldnt it be funny if you got pregant" line at the end of that scene was the whole point of the flashback...that they were about to split up right before she got pregnant with Lilly. I pointed out that both his daughters are Caucasian despite their mother etc etc so it shows skin colour is irrelevant in the show.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, it was her. Louie is always messing about with stuff like that, whether with a deep symbolic meaning or just for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

"That lady would feel better if I didn't drink lemonade for two years... I don't know that b*tch!"
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've watched 4 episodes of Louie and really wanted to like it but I just don't find it funny enough to persist with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

deisedude wrote: »
    I've watched 4 episodes of Louie and really wanted to like it but I just don't find it funny enough to persist with it

It's not a regular sit-com - more a series of interesting, sometimes hilarious, sometimes poignant short films.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've found myself trying to describe the show to others, and have had great difficulty in doing so.....and after typing that, I've realised that is a subject he touched on when trying to explain
    his relationship with the Hungarian lady to his ex-wife

Maybe 'Awkward' is the best description?

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/06/most-awkward-moments-on-louie/?utm_campaign=complexmag+socialflow+06+2014&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think it's like a little snapshot of real life, or how a real person might react in awkward situations. It's feels like Woody Allen's stuff without the clinically neurotic people, which is a relief. I like that it presents him as a real person,not a caricature,his vulnerability is never shied away from,he's hapless in way you believe. It's not funny exactly and it's not very often trying to be funny. It's just presenting a little window on a pretty ordinary guys life, a good guy doing his best,without the usual in your face, distinct points or punchlines or weekly contrived hilarity we are used to in sitcoms.
    At the same time it does make it's points, about love,about family,about children,about relationships and even if they're big they're generally subtle and a lot is communicated just by an exasperated expression on Louie's face. Like real life his daily life isn't a series of carefully punctuated revelation's or moments of insight that he's conscious of. They're more there for us to reflect on.

As a complete aside
    One thing I'm often transfixed by during his comedy monologues in the show is his tendancy to reach back behind himself and caress the wall.Not just supporting himself,actually caressing it, like an obvious little self comfort gesture. It kinda makes him more believable as the character to me for some reason, a little show of vulnerability maybe.

and i wonder why the stage isn't bigger.

awkward and uncomfortable too

do watch his ep of comediansincarsgettingcoffee for his story about getting his boat stuck http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/louis-c-k-comedy-sex-and-the-blue-numbers he really does get him in these situations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The last two episodes were great, grabbing the various lights and the banana to go out in the storm, and then in Episode 10 the conversation after trying to make out with Pamela just cracked me up for some reason.
    I've also noticed it's beautifully shot recently, maybe it's always been but they make the show look great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭PanaDrama

Think its been rubbish lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's surprising that Louis C.K. hasn't been offered more work in the realm of serious writing and directing, because he's shown himself to be more than capable of it.

4th series has been great, overall, but sometimes it feels as if it's turning into "Synecdoche, New York". Louie is at it's best when the more artsy ambitions are offset by gut bustingly funny moments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Yeah, apart from the episode with Seinfeld in it and a few other moments this has been a very weak series, unless there's a point to all this and the last scene of the last one blows my mind unexpectedly.

What? This season has been amazing. The pacing of it may be a little odd but the standard has been ridiculously high.

And who's to say he hasn't had offers? He has got such a sweet deal at the moment that he could be perfectly happy continuing as is.

briany wrote: »
    It's surprising that Louis C.K. hasn't been offered more work in the realm of serious writing and directing, because he's shown himself to be more than capable of it.
    the last movie he directed

Pootie Tang http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258038/combined

Wada tei....

Louis talks about making that on Howard Stern. Basically, he says the cut he put together for the movie was nothing like what the studio head wanted. He got booted off the project and the studio cobbled something together.

Honestly, though, Pootie Tang is one funny comedy, despite all it's production problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Really liked the flashback episodes about him smoking weed when he was a kid. Nice little arc about him and his friends going through a significant time in their lives, felt like a movie.

It's hard to put this show into a specific genre. Before this season I would have called it a comedy (even though there were still serious bits), but this season feels way more like a drama with some odd splashes of surreal comedy.

I think that's what puts a lot of newcomers off the show this season, they watch it expecting a comedy and it's not what they get.

Standman wrote: »
    Really liked the flashback episodes about him smoking weed when he was a kid. Nice little arc about him and his friends going through a significant time in their lives, felt like a movie.

It's hard to put this show into a specific genre. Before this season I would have called it a comedy (even though there were still serious bits), but this season feels way more like a drama with some odd splashes of surreal comedy.

I think that's what puts a lot of newcomers off the show this season, they watch it expecting a comedy and it's not what they get.

Newcomers should always start from the first episodes to ease into it. The earlier episodes of Louie have some brilliantly funny moments. There's great stuff in this series as regards jokes but it's certainly not pushed out front. It's very situational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

A fifth season of only 8 episodes starts on Thursday, 9th April.

And beyond the show itself,
    Hitfix wrote:
    "Louie" returns on April 9. Louis C.K.'s next stand-up special will have its debut on FX. And FX has ordered a comedy pilot from "Louie" veteran Pamela Adlon that will be co-written, directed and produced by Louis C.K. Oh and the Louis C.K.-produced comedy "Baskets" will premiere in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Thread bumped for new season; I haven't watched it yet...

sabat wrote: »
    Yeah, apart from the episode with Seinfeld in it and a few other moments this has been a very weak series, unless there's a point to all this and the last scene of the last one blows my mind unexpectedly.

Well, thankfully the last season actually did finish very strongly in the end, mainly due to Pamela's reappearance and the plot with the Hungarian woman; I still maintain that it flagged badly in the middle few eps though.

Advertisement