Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new google email - 1 gig of storage for free!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

They certainly made a mistake doing a press release on the 1st April when they were offering a gig of storage for free and expanding into a whole new market!

Here are some screenshots of what the service looks like now.

http://www.shellen.com/gallery/gmail_collapsed.gif

http://www.shellen.com/gallery/gmail_expanded.gif

I'm sure as many others, I'd very tempted to try this out when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Releasing it on April Fools Day (GMT) was kinda the whole point of it. Along with the hammy press release. They wanted to drum up internet speculation on whether or not it was another april fools trick.

Judging by slashdot, webmasterworld, et al it was a huge success. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

It's not being too well received in the tech world, apparently they're gonna keep all mail on their servers as a permanent record, even when you have closed your account or let it lapse - privacy groups are up in arms.
    :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Well I for one don't care .. for the 1GB they're giving me, I'll happily let their machines scan my email and target ads.. if they want to hold on to it, then let them .. as long as its not shared to other humans. Its not like I'd have anything top secret in my mail anyway (or if I did, I'd be encrypting it).

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would be well handy as the account you give websites when you sign up :)

Here GMail, feast on my spam :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Unfortunately it's not that simple cgarvey. I'd be the same as yourself in that if I have to deal with advertising, I'd prefer it was advertising that was appropriate to me. However that's not the issue. The problem is that Google will be in a position to create, store, and possibly sell very rich, extremely granular profiling data directly associated with your personal details. Of course Google says that they're committed to "not doing evil", but that data would be worth an awful lot of money. And they've got an IPO coming up...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

I created a new account on yahoo the other day and the amount of personal information that was mandatorily required was unbelievable. It was easy enough to waffle through the form but the fact that it was required was a bit sinister.

Google's way is much better - basically a bot will scan your email and display relevant ads. Big deal - its better than the inane banners you see on Yahoo or MSN. Besides which I've no doubt they'll soon be following Google's lead anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Roger the privacy concerns.. but it is free, and it is unlimited (in my eyes, not technically) storage. I won't be using it for sensitive emails, it won't be my main address.

The biggest concern is sending specifics like "cgarvey views disney.com 3 times every tuesday sends 15 mails every thursday to the pope, lives at x,y, co. z, was born x/y/z, blah blah". I don't mind "cgarvey is 20-30 and lives in dublin, and likes girls, linux but hates eircom. His outgoing mails have included queries for RAM and HDD's" .. that sort of information is generic, and usually in the public domain anyway. Hell a search on boards.ie will reveal most things like that about me anyway.

As an aside, chances are, they won't be getting valid dates of birth or addresses anyway.. that sort of info I don't like being handed out.

So to summarise, I see the conerns, they just aren't as significant to me as others, it would seem. Most of my mail I don't care who sees, and the ones I care about are protected (and won't be sent to qmail!).

Are there other privacy issues I'm missing?

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By the way, what is the story with signing up? doesn't seem to be a signup link on www.gmail.com / gmail.google.com

Edit: sorry, checked the FAQs. Still in testing phase, so they're not giving out accounts to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

lol..

man they must be buying some new servers.

1 gig . say 1 million get an adress. and fill it

umm you do the math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

And they won't be assigning the full quota per user .. how many users will use 1GB, for e.g.

I've read on /. that the concept here is to demonstrate massive distributed computing, rather than the biggest free webmail host.

Also, to further my last post above, the one thing that does concern me (and I question its legality, but presumably Google's lawyers have been over it) is the retention of email after account is cancelled... again I don't care, but I can see that as a privacy concern.

.cg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

anyone with an account at blogger.com should now have a link saying they have been offered a trial as a tester, so I suppose this is the next step after the beta tests.

I set up my account, and will start to shift all my info from yahoo! to it today, I dont think it will be an invasion, given that its a bot and its just ad banners, I find it hard to believe that such a large profiled company would break the law (especially as it is cracking down on internet crimes lately), especially after all the criticism theyve gotten about the service.
    To hell with Yahoo, they suck, 4mb storage, 3mb attatchments max, see you in hell

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I dont see the link :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by flogen
    anyone with an account at blogger.com should now have a link saying they have been offered a trial as a tester, so I suppose this is the next step after the beta tests.

I have a blogger account ...
    Where is the link to set up a gmail account?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i've an account at blogger.

where's the link?

EDIT: apparently you have to be an active user.

yeah, so they say, I opened my active blogger account, and I had the sign, i went and signed up etc,
    just to see i went to another account I set up and never used (or used once), and it had the link too... maybe if you post a blog it will appear... give it a try.

I assume they call anyone with a post from less than 1 month (or something) as an active user.

Flogen

(and it will appear on the righthand side of the main page when you log in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

I fail to see the concens that people have with their email / data privacy using gmail. Whats the difference with using hotmail, yahoo, etc? They offer free email with ads along the top. Its guaranteed they can tell who clicked what and sell on that information if they want. Why is it so bad if google does it?

Originally posted by hostyle
    I fail to see the concens that people have with their email / data privacy using gmail. Whats the difference with using hotmail, yahoo, etc? They offer free email with ads along the top. Its guaranteed they can tell who clicked what and sell on that information if they want. Why is it so bad if google does it?

Me to, to an extent .. the fact that they can hold on to my mail after I'm gone (and have requested my account be deleted)... again it doesn't bother me, as I won't have anything critical on there anyway, but I can see how it would be a concern.

while i havent used it enough yet to avail of features such as the search engine and conversation style e-mail layout, it sure is looking pretty sweet.
    When you begin to type and addy into the to: section, it gives you a list of names from your contacts, so say you type in 'a', then any names/addresses you have stored that begin with that letter come up for you to pick, very nice feature

and the sign up info is minimal, just your name, your nick and your password needed... thats it!

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

yeah, so they say, I opened my active blogger account, and I had the sign, i went and signed up etc,
    just to see i went to another account I set up and never used (or used once), and it had the link too... maybe if you post a blog it will appear... give it a try.

I assume they call anyone with a post from less than 1 month (or something) as an active user.

Flogen

(and it will appear on the righthand side of the main page when you log in)

I just signed up there. Posted a blog, but got no link :( . Hopefully it might show up soon.

just a question though. When u signed up for gmail did u have to use the username u had for www.blogger.com. I ask this cause the username i want is already gone on blogger.

whatever name and nick you used in blogger will automatically show up in the fields for gmail, but you can change them if you like before you sign up.

try back tomorrow and the link might appear.... you never know :D

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by cgarvey
    As an aside, chances are, they won't be getting valid dates of birth or addresses anyway.. that sort of info I don't like being handed out.
    Until they decide to post out your password.*

* Additional $7.99 handling charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

whatever name and nick you used in blogger will automatically show up in the fields for gmail, but you can change them if you like before you sign up.

try back tomorrow and the link might appear.... you never know :D

Flogen

i read somewhere they had it set up to stop people from signing up to blogger just to get gmail invites.

ive been using blogger for a few years and i got my invite the other day, gmail is fantastic. after a week or so i got the chance to send two invites to other people (both sent). so maybe there will be more chances soon.

dw

yeah, you would probably have to have signed up before they started the offer.

Im very impressed so far, the only problem I have is the way you enter contacts into the 'to:' field, while i like the names and addresses coming up depending on the letter you type, if your sending to alot of people it can get confusing, as you may enter the same address twice (for example, your friend joe soaps address would come up when you typle j or s, and you might click it twice). Its not a big deal, infact its very minor, but its just something that could be fixed (I'd like to see the letter recognition stay, but the option of just ticking aload of boxes and hitting OK like in yahoo mail)

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

btw, what's are the spam options like. I'd love to see if they adopted a system where the sender had to verify themselves before the account would accept the email. Only the first time that person sends of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

ive not got any spam on it yet. i saw some analysis of gmails spam abilities on a weblog: http://www.taint.org/2004/04/15/033025a.html

but its gonna be another 5-6 months or so before gmail goes public, so lots of time for them to improve on spam analysis

here is another one: http://www.slamaspammer.com/blog/?postid=19

dw

Advertisement