Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK City of Culture 2013 thread

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Penfailed wrote: »
    The Tattoo is on this weekend. I can't go though but from what I've seen and heard of it, it looks/sounds class! :cool:

I should be free this weekend, I might head up. Is it just music from pipe bands and all that craic aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I should be free this weekend, I might head up. Is it just music from pipe bands and all that craic aye?

Kind of...with a Derry twist from what I've been told. I think there are only a few tickets left for Saturday night (Friday is sold out) so you might want to check before travelling.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's a Swiss troop that are well worth seeing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Internet cat video festival on tonight in Cafe Soul. :pac:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-24046110

The CultureTech thing over in The Venue was good on Saturday and the Glasgowbury Picnic in the Guildhall Square was excellent :cool:

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Anyone else hearing rumours that Snow Patrol might be having a gig in the Venue around Christmas?

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

Haven't heard anything but getting tickets for that, if it went ahead would be fun!

There will be at least 1 show, maybe two, just before Xmas. Heard 21st December listed as one date.

Nice way to say goodbye to the Venue. I had heard rumours it was staying but latest is that its not.

guttenberg wrote: »
    Anyone else hearing rumours that Snow Patrol might be having a gig in the Venue around Christmas?

Yes :)

Cut The Transmission tomorrow in The Venue :D

• Advertisement

Has anyone been to the Turner Prize yet? I've visit at some stage I'm sure :)

Lumiere is on from Thursday until Sunday - I reckon it'll be great :cool:

Penfailed wrote: »
    Lumiere is on from Thursday until Sunday - I reckon it'll be great :cool:

They've been mapping Austins during the week -

1441203_10152146792319180_1069404243_n.jpg

Was driving through the city this evening and they were testing the lighting on Ebrington, the Peace Bridge and Queens Quay. It looked amazing! :cool:

Here's a video of the trail run of Austins

Considering how well Radio 1 Videomapped Ebrington it should be interesting to see what they've done this time over there:D Was the walls being lit up the irish tricolour earlier in the week part of this?

Taking a walk around various spots tomorrow night, looking forward to it.

Wow...just...wow!

I was a little underwhelmed by most of it.

I thought the fire in St Columbs, the childrens drawings in Ebrington and the Austins building were all very good, but a lot of the rest of it was very ordinary if I am honest.

I felt after i walked to some of the displays, "well that was a bit of a waste".

I get what your saying, the hassle to get to the Credit Union thing wasn't really worth it for me, cracker view of the city from Ebrington though, with the Undertones lyric and Rosemount Factory so clear with all the strobes going around. It's on tonight again (was supposed to finish yesterday). Is St Cecilias part of it or why's the school lit up?

Is St Cecilias part of it or why's the school lit up?

It's not officially part of it but they're calling it a fringe event. Apparently Derry have embraced Lumiere way more than Durham did and have been holding fringe lightshows in various other places around the city.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

I was there last night and it was impressive. Great crowds as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was a little underwhelmed by most of it.

I thought the fire in St Columbs, the childrens drawings in Ebrington and the Austins building were all very good, but a lot of the rest of it was very ordinary if I am honest.

I felt after i walked to some of the displays, "well that was a bit of a waste".

I thought Austins and the "sails" beside the quay were very underwhelming, as was the writing on say, the BT Building and shirt factories.
    Also, the oaks inside the craft village were very poor.

The fire and the figures on the bridge were I must say the best.

Of all the city of culture events, this was one I looked forward to, but felt let down a bit.

Walking through the park was surreal though, in a nice eerie way.

Some pics

tumblr_mx4qnvvZYK1r8k79eo7_500.jpg

tumblr_mx4qaleF2V1r8k79eo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mx4qaleF2V1r8k79eo5_500.jpg

tumblr_mx4qnvvZYK1r8k79eo1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Went in yesterday evening for a look, the animation up at the old army barracks was very impressive.. the walk across the Peace Bridge and the view of the city lit up was spectacular. We were 45 mins early for the Fire Garden so decided to give it a miss and go over to Austins instead as there were huge amounts of people queuing for the Fire Garden by then. Austins was good for about 10 minutes, we left early to beat the traffic. Glad I went in..

So that's the end of that then. Loved it.

Happy New Year folks! Hopefully the Council can build on a cracker year and some of the events return.

Happy New Year folks!

And the same to you :)
    Hopefully the Council can build on a cracker year and some of the events return.

I'm hoping for this too.

Advertisement