Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro Podcast

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just listened to the first one, good work lads.

I wouldn't mind doing either a Street Fighter, Fighting games in general or historical arcade scene of Dublin city one some time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Also why not make the discussion about the old 8bit systems

So many classics and so many great loading tunes

I'd rather get yoursefl and Luas Dublin in to talk about them, I've only a little experience with the C64.
    Just listened to the first one, good work lads.

I wouldn't mind doing either a Street Fighter, Fighting games in general or historical arcade scene of Dublin city one some time.

I'd be up for this as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd be up for this as well.

Yeah betwixt the two of us I think we'd have the entire genre covered!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well if you can get someone in that knows a lot more than me then I'll step out on this one. If he's up for it I'm sure KO Kiki would be great to have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just listened to the Starfox podcast there. Good stuff, lads. Fair play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

... or historical arcade scene of Dublin city one some time.
    This , deffo this!
    (great work on the hudson podcast lads (and ladies) btw)

Actually I used to do a radio show back in the 90s and as part of it I would go into the like of Barney's and the Hideout and interview people. Must see if I can find the old recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

DinoRex wrote: »
    Actually I used to do a radio show back in the 90s and as part of it I would go into the like of Barney's and the Hideout and interview people. Must see if I can find the old recordings.

Are you Marty Whelan?

Tell the truth now :D

I don't think Marty Whelan would have been threatened with the guards by dodgey looking arcade owners as much as I was...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'm on standby should you wish to talk SHMUPS! Can you host it in a Terry Wogan voice though? :D

I can promise to touch your knee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Great stuff, havent listened to it yet (downloading for bedtime tonight!) but really looking forward to it, keep it up and look forward to hearing more!

On a side note, would it be possible to stick up the podcasts on itunes? Just for subscribing etc.

Stuck Cone wrote: »
    Great stuff, havent listened to it yet (downloading for bedtime tonight!) but really looking forward to it, keep it up and look forward to hearing more!

On a side note, would it be possible to stick up the podcasts on itunes? Just for subscribing etc.

Oh yes. Been meaning to do that. Will set it up over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Can you host it in a Terry Wogan voice though? :D
    sure Terry's from Limerick, we sound the same :cool:

Sera wrote: »
    sure Terry's from Limerick, we sound the same :cool:

He is? I always thought he was from Tubbercurry. As the saying goes, if you have a Tubbercurry you'll get a Ringaskiddy.

Kind of like watching Wogan or Michael Barrymore's My Kind Of People back in the day...

I can promise to touch your knee!

As long as you don't fiddle with all those big knobs anywhere near me while it's recording you're grand. :pac:

On a related note I'll have to fish out the Alzadick soundtrack for the show. Oooh! and Goodbye My Earth!

Ooh and the Darius Force and Darius Twin themes! In fact, how about a Darius Special? Like the Hudson special! :)

Just an idea like. I'll bring a goldfish in a bag with me. Just to add a touch of 'breakfast show, the gang in the studio are having such a laugh you wish you were there' realism! :pac:

And we're now on iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/arcade-and-retro.com/id501021338

The horror special is now ready to go. I'll stick it up in a bit.

Will be recording a Graphic Adventure / Lucas Arts episode on Saturday if anyone wants in.

Will be recording a Graphic Adventure / Lucas Arts episode on Saturday if anyone wants in.

I'll be in Limerick on Saturday but good luck with it. I wouldn't have been much help anyway. Just a few things to remember, the fact that you couldn't die in lucas games was a biggie in the later ones compared to Sierra ones and that Insult Sword fighting is the finest of the martial arts. You might want to stick to Lucas Arts if you want to fit it in under an hour, there's a lot there.

Also how about advertising it on the games board or do you want your secret identity to remain secret on boards.ie?

And here we go:

hitshowers.jpg

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retro-podcast-episode-3-survival-horror/

Feel free to give it a plug in the forums... just no huge need to mention me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

And we're now on iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/arcade-and-retro.com/id501021338

The horror special is now ready to go. I'll stick it up in a bit.

Could it be an idea to bring the old text adventures into the mix

Origin of the species and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

having a listen now lads, must give Obscure a go, sounds interesting

Didn't know there was a third episode! Excellent stuff, I'm subscribed now.

Keep me posted on shooting game, PC Engine, Darius or Puyo Puyo episodes should you ever decide to do them. :)

I note how Sera is very enthusiastic about shotgun's in this episode.

You can take the girl outta Limerick... :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I note how Sera is very enthusiastic about shotgun's in this episode.
    there wasn't enough knife talk so it was all I had :rolleyes:

Recording a valentines special this evening dealing with romance in classic video games.

And then tomorrow I'm recording the Lucas Arts special.

Anyone is welcome to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Romance like this

Slightly NSFW

bjivP.png

Recording a valentines special this evening dealing with romance in classic video games.

And then tomorrow I'm recording the Lucas Arts special.

Anyone is welcome to contribute.

Ah the Lucas Arts special is on the way eh? Great stuff. :)

What about a modern comparison for the valentine episode? Only saying that as if you're recording tonight it conveniently coincides with the European launch of Catherine today. Side note, my Stray Sheep edition has been delayed. No idea why. Some say it's due end of Feb now?

Tifa/Aeris & Cloud would be an obvious romance choice. Although, if you reaaaaaaaally want to mix things up a bit, you can't really have a Valentine special without discussing some of the PC Engine dating sims.

Tokimeki Memorial and Roommate are two excellent candidates. If you want to be super pervy you could always chuck in a bit of Pia Carrot! on the PC-FX y'know, just to like, spice it up a bit. ;)

• Advertisement

Trying to keep it as Retro as possible... but that can be tricky as it's really only in the past 10 years that romance in games have moved beyond rescuing a princess from a castle... even now it's still rare to be more complicated than that.

I'll definitely be talking about the Prince and Farah from Prince of Persia though.

Advertisement